: Drywall gurus, got a question

Sinister Angel
05-21-09, 04:54 PM
Alright, here's the situation:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/data/2792/medium/Drywall_2.jpg (http://photocamel.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=39231)
http://photocamel.com/gallery/data/2792/medium/Drywall_1.jpg (http://photocamel.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=39230)

and here's a sample of the non-damaged drywall:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/data/2792/medium/Drywall_Example.jpg (http://photocamel.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=39232)

Question: Is it possible to repair drywall with this texture, or is this something that the whole wall would have to be redone.

I understand that matching the texture 100% would be impossible, but is it possible to even make it look moderately correct?

Also, what would you recommend as a good info source for information on how to do it?


05-21-09, 08:05 PM
go to home depot...buy a patch, they usually are self adhesive...buy some mud, spread evenly as flat as you can over the patch....sand that down once it dries.... then you'll find different aerosol bottles of textures...you want 'knock down'...you spray on the knockdown texture then like the name says, knock it down with a flat trowel, usually found by the tile isle, don't press too hard or you'll just scrape away the texture....all done...good luck.

05-22-09, 02:15 AM
The cheap and easy fix is to just fill it in, like bondo on a dented car. Paint over it and you will never know the difference.

05-22-09, 10:22 AM
Use spackle, smooth the hole closed with a straight edge, and use a sponge to get the texture :thumbsup: I have patched numerous holes in my house due to a soccer ball and playing air hockey with my cousins.

05-22-09, 10:39 AM
Is that broken through to the backerboard? If so, spackle probably won't do; you'll need a drywall patch. Cut a rectangle out around the damage, try to match the hole as closely as possible with a sheetrock patch. Tape, mud, texture, paint. :thumbsup:

05-22-09, 01:24 PM
The fiberglass, mesh patch will work in this case because it's a small hole. For a larger hole we'd use what we call a blowout patch made form sheetrock.

Moving on, with the texture. That pattern is called a stomp-and-drag AKA knockdown pattern.

The way it's achieved. After the hole is repaired and dry, float a layer of compound over the area, then take a texture brush, small sweeping thing, large paint brush, whatever. Jab the bristle ends into the mud pulling straight off, like you're stomping the brush into it. You'll form pointy peaks in the mud. Then take a large drywall knife, like a 10" knife or so and GENTLY drag it across the points.

You'll recreate exactly what's there. It may take a few tries to get what you want. Texturing is an art and I highly discourage the use of spray on textures.

I owned and operated a very sucessful drywall business for 14 years.

Gristle Boy
05-22-09, 01:27 PM
Man, I hate textured walls for this exact reason.

05-22-09, 01:46 PM
What Codewise said /\/\

Go here (http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2patchdrywall) and scroll down to PATCHING SMALL HOLES IN WALLBOARD

05-22-09, 02:22 PM
What caused the damage? :)