: 10 Ohm Speaker replace or New System? 95 Eldorado

eric007
05-21-09, 09:59 AM
The car: 1995 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible done by Coach Builders Limited when the car was new, and I guess it didn't have a premium or a Bose system in it. So here is what I have, see pictures. There is a separate amp in the trunk and the HU doesn't have Bose on it.

My problem: one of my rear speakers quit working and I pull it out thinking I probably had the 1 ohm speakers I've read about on here, and it turns out to be 10 ohm. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Is this radio tied into the security system?

2. If not, should I just replace the entire system to get some better sound. (This is my desire.)

3. Or should I replace just the speakers?

4. If so, what should I replace these 6x9s with so the match the current system?

Thanks for any wisdom someone can share as I am not knowledgeable on this system. I have replaced entire system in other cars, but scared of something change out stories I've read on here, I'm hoping this will be the easy system to change.

Heide264
05-22-09, 09:31 AM
If its like my DeVille, the head unit isn't too hard to remove. If you want to figure out the security system ordeal, just pop your head unit out and unplug it then take a drive around for about 20 minutes and see if your car starts yelling at you. I thought my 97 was going to have issues but apparently not.

eric007
05-24-09, 11:27 AM
The car: 1995 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible done by Coach Builders Limited when the car was new, and I guess it didn't have a premium or a Bose system in it. So here is what I have, see pictures. There is a separate amp in the trunk and the HU doesn't have Bose on it.

My problem: one of my rear speakers quit working and I pull it out thinking I probably had the 1 ohm speakers I've read about on here, and it turns out to be 10 ohm. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Is this radio tied into the security system?

2. If not, should I just replace the entire system to get some better sound. (This is my desire.)

3. Or should I replace just the speakers?

4. If so, what should I replace these 6x9s with so the match the current system?

Thanks for any wisdom someone can share as I am not knowledgeable on this system. I have replaced entire system in other cars, but scared of something change out stories I've read on here, I'm hoping this will be the easy system to change.

In case anyone else ever needs the info, this is what I got back from a Crutchfield advisor. Looks like I'm going to put in a whole new system. :thumbsup:

I have reviewed your pictures and compared them to our teardown information on your 1995 Cadillac Eldorado. Based on what I see you do not have the Bose system.

1. From our information the security system is not tied into the radio.

2. Yes, this would be the best option. More power will be gained, and you will have better audio quality.

3. You can, but the factory radio is very low powered.

4. The Sony XS-GT6936A would be a good low wattage speaker to work with the factory system.

eric007
05-24-09, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the reply Heidi264.