: Rubbing noise on slow right turns

QKSLVRTA
05-21-09, 10:50 AM
Ok before all get mad i did a search but it kept giving me a "page can not be displayed"

I read something on here not to long ago related to this.

So I have begun to notice a slight rubbing/dragging noise coming from what sounds like my right front wheel. It only happens at slow speeds with the car in gear. If i take car out of gear and take a slow sharp right turn no noise.

It's just more annoying than anything ideas ?????

lollygagger8
05-21-09, 01:30 PM
What upgrades do you have?

Tires?
Sway Bars?
Shocks?

bandit6678
05-21-09, 02:52 PM
I posted something not too long ago about this, I have been having the same issue; however, mine sounds more like almost a faint grinding sound. It too only happens on slow RIGHT turns! If I keep my hand on the shifter I can feel the vibration of the grinding. I still dont know what it is but it is very annoying and alittle worrysome. My car is stock

lollygagger8
05-21-09, 04:08 PM
I posted something not too long ago about this, I have been having the same issue; however, mine sounds more like almost a faint grinding sound. It too only happens on slow RIGHT turns! If I keep my hand on the shifter I can feel the vibration of the grinding. I still dont know what it is but it is very annoying and alittle worrysome. My car is stock

I was going to say clutch packs (needs LSD additive) but he said it was coming from front.

bandit6678
05-21-09, 04:25 PM
I was going to say clutch packs (needs LSD additive) but he said it was coming from front.

where do you get that lsd additive

findlay_dan
05-21-09, 04:39 PM
i have the same issue, only happens on slow right turns when car is in neutral. sounds like its coming from right front tire.

lollygagger8
05-21-09, 04:55 PM
where do you get that lsd additive

If it's coming from the BACK of the vehicle, then you would need additive. You can get it at the stealership, but if I were you, I'd switch out to Redline 75w90 fluid (has additive built in) or Amsoil, maybe Royal Purple.

Anything is better than the stock GM crap, but if you do go that route.....put the friction modifier (LSD additive) in first, then put the diff fluid. That way you make sure you used all of the additive

If it's up front: I'd guess wheel bearing. You sure it's not just the rotor making noise?

QKSLVRTA
05-21-09, 07:34 PM
well like I said sounds like from the front right and only on slow turns 15/20 mph dont hear it at all. As well as when i slowly coast through a turn under 15 mph i dont hear a thing...

if it were a rotor I would hear it at any speed /gear on right hand turns... I would think

darkman
05-21-09, 08:48 PM
well like I said sounds like from the front right and only on slow turns 15/20 mph dont hear it at all. As well as when i slowly coast through a turn under 15 mph i dont hear a thing...

if it were a rotor I would hear it at any speed /gear on right hand turns... I would think

Well back to what Lollygagger8 said - the only things rotating at the front are the rotor and the wheel bearing. And the rotation of the rotor and the wheel bearing should be no different whether coasting or being driven through the turn. If your sure that the noise is not bing tranferred from the rear clutch packs the only other thing I can think of would be the traction control / ABS doing something strange.

AlmostAV
05-21-09, 10:07 PM
upper control arm bushings.

trhs75
05-21-09, 11:56 PM
I was lucky -- my solution was simpler. There was a rubbing noise in turns I couldn't track down, but the dealer found a loose fender liner or something hitting the wheel and that solved it. I doubt that's your situation, but maybe check just in case it's that easy.

QKSLVRTA
06-01-09, 12:51 PM
still having issues have checked everything I can think of minus tearing into the tranny

when i coast through a turn with the clutch disengaged no noise, clutch engaged i can hear/feel it. maybe it is in the clutch ? :suspense:

hutch1417
06-03-09, 03:34 AM
i have a 2004, I had a similar problem. Check the front wheel wells, the plastic rivits came loose and there was a hanging plastic piece, I just snapped it back in place.

atdeneve
06-03-09, 07:53 AM
He's getting it with the clutch engaged. Depress the clutch and it disappears. It's not the wheel well plastic hanging loose.

PISNUOFF
06-03-09, 01:30 PM
If you've checked everything up front (ALL bolts and bushings even the upper shock mounting bolts inside the engine bay), I'd start checking the driveline. Because it's only noticeable when you're applying torque. See if the driveshaft bolts at the diff end are tight (if you don't have any vibration at highway speed I'd say it's probably not this), center bearing attachment bolts are tight, diff bushing for wear. Any rubbing on the underbody could feel like it's coming from the front.

atdeneve
06-04-09, 07:25 AM
May not be the case with QKSLVRTA, but for most cases, this is most pronounced when in neutral with the clutch engaged. There is no torque being transferred to the rear wheels, but the transmission is connected to the flywheel.

It'll still happen with it in gear, but it'll be less noticeable due to the low gear making some noise as it turns over - if you're still in gear while taking a turn with the wheel at near full lock, I'd assume you're most likely in first, which will make some noise/whine. QKSLVRTA, does this happen to you when in neutral or only when in gear?

Would be nice to see someone nail this, although, honestly, I can't remember the last time I came across this. It was most noticeable on my daily driver, since, well, that's the one I spent the most time in - spend enough time with anything (or anyone) and you get to become quite intimate with certain perceived flaws that would otherwise go unnoticed.

QKSLVRTA
06-04-09, 06:09 PM
Ok so I will have to try all possible combinations of gears, neutral, speeds etc and see what i come up with..

Will report back on that

as for highway speed no notice of anything out of wack no strange vibrations from 10-160 so I an gonna guess the drivetrain is fine but will check as well just incase

CadiBlk
06-04-09, 06:12 PM
as for highway speed no notice of anything out of wack no strange vibrations from 10-160 so I an gonna guess the drivetrain is fine but will check as well just incase

mmmMMM, nothing like testing suspension issues at 160. :suspense:

TampaCTS-V
06-04-09, 09:03 PM
You own a V....quit taking right turns slowly. problem solved :highfive: