: Generator light?

Tzd1310
05-21-09, 09:04 AM
When I go out in the morning and cold start my car it starts fine but if I don't give it any gas it stalls and he generator light comes on. I usually back out of my driveway and happens then too. If I let the engine warm up for a few minutes it runs fine but this is annoying what is the problem here?

durrk johnson
05-21-09, 10:16 AM
You know... I was having the same thing happen to my car, it still does, it seems like you have to let the car warm up a bit before you put it in drive or the generator light will come on and it stalls off...

jayoldschool
05-21-09, 10:20 AM
Choke needs to be adjusted. The stall really has nothing to do with the gen light. It just goes on when the output is too low (like when the engine stops spinning when it stalls ;))

Tzd1310
05-21-09, 04:58 PM
is the choke the spring connected to the throttle cable on the right side of the engine block?

carnut
05-21-09, 06:44 PM
I presume you pump the throttle fully to the floor once before starting? That primes the cylinders with fuel and allows the choke blade to close which also should allow the fast idle linkage to set. Any car that quits after start up and the key remains on will have a gen. light displayed because the engine is no longer spinning. A fuel injected car needs no movement of the throttle prior to start up. A carb'ed car needs the choke set when cold and a slight opening of the throttle when restarted warm.

V-Eight
05-21-09, 07:05 PM
Don't all cars with a carburetor do this if you don't adjust the choke for the weather?

carnut
05-21-09, 08:01 PM
Do what, stall?? Adjusting a choke for the weather is an urban legend. If set correctly, it either just works or not. Back in the 60's middle 70's when engines ran 180 degrees fully warm, chokes could be set to stay on slightly longer at the expense of running the engine too rich. Newer cars with carbs in the 80's ran at 210 degrees and warmed up faster. The choke cover was riveted on so as to not alter the duration and cause a rich (smog) condition. The choke temperature was a function by then of an electric choke coil which opened the choke in a matter of 3 blocks regardless of engine temperature. Unless vision is hampered by a frosted over windshield, warming up a newer car is a waste of gas. Start it, confirm all idiot lights are off and drive gently away. Allow the engine to warm up as driven because thats how it was designed to operate.

V-Eight
05-21-09, 09:21 PM
Even in -40 weather?

carnut
05-21-09, 09:45 PM
-40 degree weather relates to proper engine oil viscosity for the temperature. Once it starts and has oil pressure, drive it gently. I would assume at -40 the windshield is iced over? if not, then drive it once the defroster is warm.

V-Eight
05-21-09, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I had a friend who would always stall if he tried to reverse when it was that cold if he didn't wait for it to warm up a little.

durrk johnson
05-22-09, 07:02 PM
^^^that used to happen to me...