: automotive technical advance has made the greatest contribution to auto safety?

orconn
05-20-09, 05:26 PM
For me the biggest advance in car safety came with use of disc brakes on cars which became widely available in the mid-sixties. Before disc brakes the drum brakes used on most of the cars of the time were erratic, required high maintainence and were very prone to lock up under emergency situations. Not to mention the considering improvement in manageable braking power available with disc brakes.

What are your thoughts?

Jesda
05-20-09, 05:31 PM
Seat belts

V-Eight
05-20-09, 05:33 PM
I was watching this thing on Discovery about GM's cold testing and stuff. They drove the car so 2 tires were on ice and 2 weren't. When they slammed on the brakes with ABS and Stab. on, the car stopped fine. But when they turned those aids off the car just spun out and would have been in an accident had it happened on a road. It was pretty cool to see that.

orconn
05-20-09, 05:40 PM
Yeah, Jesda, I'd have to agree with seat belts ....... and air bags too. I put seat belts in my '58 Jag XK 150 drophead, back in the early sixties, and they probably save my uncle's and my life during a collision that totalled the car. Especially considering the Jag was hit quarter head on by a 1955 Plymouth! Thank God for the seat belts and the massive frame in the Jag ..... and ofcourse a lot of good luck!

77CDV
05-20-09, 09:48 PM
+1 on seat belts. Safety glass is up there, too.

iowasevillests
05-20-09, 10:28 PM
My vote is for seatbelts WITH shoulder restraint, with anti-lock brakes being a very close second.

Ranger
05-20-09, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure which to rank as the "biggest advance", but Stabilitrac is amazing. Coupled with ABS it has to rank right up there.

Jesda
05-20-09, 11:23 PM
I have to second Stabilitrak. Its an active safety system that doesn't ruin the driving experience.

ryannel2003
05-20-09, 11:28 PM
StabiliTrak has saved my ass many a time in the STS.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-20-09, 11:40 PM
The Posi-traction rear end. :yup:

Rodya234
05-21-09, 12:37 AM
This:
http://www.matsuura.co.uk/clientfiles/Image/5%20Axis/Cylinder-Block.jpg

Seriously, studies have found that cars with more power get into fewer accidents because they have the capability to just use raw muscle to get out of a bad situation.

Of course it all depends on the driver, if you don't realize how much power to use and exactly when to use it it can't help you. But then again any safety enhancement only supplements the driver's ability. If you run into a Mac truck at 85, having 30 airbags won't help.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-21-09, 02:13 AM
I have a good 6 feet of solid steel, fully boxed frame in front of me as well as a giant ass iron block engine. The only thing taking me down is a truck. :D

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0323.jpg

In all reality though, it is hard to make one single choice. There have been so many advancements over the years that all contribute in their own way. Seatbelts, ABS, disc brakes, SRS airbags are all great but you also have to remember crumple zones, collapsible steering columns, padded dashboards, inertia locking seatbelts and many others.

Aron9000
05-21-09, 02:34 AM
I have a good 6 feet of solid steel, fully boxed frame in front of me as well as a giant ass iron block engine. The only thing taking me down is a truck. :D

Mass is king in a wreck, but I wouldn't consider it an advancement in safety. A 1951 Fleetwood is just as massive. That being said, if I had a teenage son/daughter, they would be driving a huge car like this and not some little Honda shitbox.

Seat belts would be my #1 choice for greatest invention for safety. #2 would be steel belted radial tires. These allowed for much improved handling and braking, thus a greater chance of avoiding collisions.

Jesda
05-21-09, 05:09 AM
A 1951 Fleetwood, relative to today, isn't that heavy though. 1955 Crown Vic was only a hundred pounds heavier than a 1994 Maxima.

jey
05-21-09, 12:22 PM
I disagree on the airbags - I personally am not a fan of them.

On the other hand I love ABS - it gets you out of trouble when you've overstepped your braking threshold, and the redistribution of braking power in low traction situations is pretty nice too.

V-Eight
05-21-09, 01:25 PM

In all reality though, it is hard to make one single choice. There have been so many advancements over the years that all contribute in their own way. Seatbelts, ABS, disc brakes, SRS airbags are all great but you also have to remember crumple zones, collapsible steering columns, padded dashboards, inertia locking seatbelts and many others.

By truck you must mean semi. I don't crumple zones, because that totally ****s your car.

I disagree on the airbags - I personally am not a fan of them.

On the other hand I love ABS - it gets you out of trouble when you've overstepped your braking threshold, and the redistribution of braking power in low traction situations is pretty nice too.

Yeah, airbags can do more damage than good if you're small (which luckily I'm not)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-21-09, 02:43 PM
By truck you must mean semi. I don't crumple zones, because that totally ****s your car.

Not just semis, most trucks. If someone in an Excursion decides to plow into me, I am pretty sure he will win.

Crumple zones may screw your car over, but they can also save your life.

V-Eight
05-21-09, 04:16 PM
True, but sometimes they crumple TOO easily. Ah, most new trucks...but in a battle between most half tons up until like 2000 I think it'd be a good battle.

Gristle Boy
05-21-09, 05:18 PM
Pneumatic Tires!!!!

billc83
05-21-09, 07:42 PM
I was thinking about nominating crumble zones - they transfer energy during a crash to other, inanimate objects as opposed to your internal organs. Leaving the car cosmetically worse but you (hopefully) mechanically OK.

Safety glass was a good idea, too.

I think I'd have to go with the majority and say seat belts, though. Keeping you from becoming a human projectile since their invention.

Ranger
05-21-09, 09:19 PM
There is nothing "technologically advanced" about seat belts.

C&C
05-22-09, 07:33 AM
Seat belts

(from no seat belts to using seat belts, to shoulder/lap seat belts to accident pre-tensioned seat belts; all technological advances) ((keepin you inside the cage, in an accident, is good for the majority of crashes))

Krashed989
05-22-09, 05:03 PM
automotive technical advance has made the greatest contribution to auto safety?By not selling Chinese cars in America!

g5SRyG6UR2A

LmpDM8wVrUQ

245NCBsj4Lc

47Gy19D9Hxc

BOFIt9iw1Fs

Rodya234
05-23-09, 05:19 PM
By not selling Chinese cars in America!

g5SRyG6UR2A

LmpDM8wVrUQ

245NCBsj4Lc

47Gy19D9Hxc

BOFIt9iw1Fs

yeah, china makes horrible cars. They can make a pretty good tank though. :histeric:

77CDV
05-23-09, 10:50 PM
Come on, now, they did almost as well as those microcars in the other thread posted a couple weeks back!