: How many depend on GPS?

EcSTSatic
05-20-09, 02:53 PM
GPS may be less accurate in 2010 (http://gizmodo.com/5255179/gps-may-be-less-accurate-in-2010)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/05/GPS_Refusal.jpg

nikon
05-20-09, 03:50 PM
If all your using is the sats then ya the accuracy will degrade....that's why we have LAAS and WAAS of course most cars won't really benefit from that...my heli does though!

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
05-20-09, 04:16 PM
I'm curious as to how they recon that the chance of keeping the required 24 satellites up at only 95% for 2010, as there are 31(?) of them up there which means you'd have to lose one every 2 months...

The military stuff does tend to outlive the design life as so much margin is built-in.

Seeing as how the military use them for so much I can't see them allowing it to fail.
They'll throw money at it if they have to to get the job done.

C&C
05-20-09, 04:27 PM
I saw a news report on this very subject. It seems that the plan for replacements is three years behind schedule, but again, the news is speculating and not reporting the news. Hopefully this will be a non event. Must be a slow news day (kind of like the weather channels show called: "It could happen tomorrow"; speculation). I don't know what drives people and/or the media to try to keep the general public in a state of fear.

orconn
05-20-09, 06:17 PM
I saw a news report on this very subject. It seems that the plan for replacements is three years behind schedule, but again, the news is speculating and not reporting the news. Hopefully this will be a non event. Must be a slow news day (kind of like the weather channels show called: "It could happen tomorrow"; speculation). I don't know what drives people and/or the media to try to keep the general public in a state of fear.

It's called reporter ignorance, and the need to spur advertising revenue!

Submariner409
05-20-09, 07:53 PM
As soon as our idiot president's news spinners find out that something is detracting from his teleprompter exposure time the Stimulus Package freaks will throw a few billion at the Air Force to make the distraction go away. NOTHING must interfere with Hussein Obama's advertising line to the American People.

EcSTSatic
05-21-09, 09:18 AM
This administration is going to find out just how much it costs to just maintain the country, let alone throw money around freely at things like the movie industry, museums, no smoking programs etc