: Will turning off traction control help fuel milage?

SaltyCadi
05-20-09, 11:50 AM
I have a 2009 srx-4. I really dont know how the traction control works but from what I have read it seems to control your speed some. Help you control the car better if you lose traction......with that said I just wonder if turning it off durning dry non-slick roads will help your fuel miliage any? Thanks

Superjim
05-20-09, 12:17 PM
Nope...it only works when it is needed.
Turning it off will not help mileage.

c5 rv
05-20-09, 07:49 PM
Occasional WOT runs help clean out the gunk and improve your overall MPG. Right, Jim?

Superjim
05-20-09, 10:29 PM
Occasional WOT runs help clean out the gunk and improve your overall MPG. Right, Jim?

Of course.
All Cadillacs need an occasional WOT...especially NorthStars. :) :) :)
You don't want them to get gunked up at all.
I try to make sure mine don't get that way. :) :)

Texas Jim

Northern SRX
05-21-09, 06:17 AM
There shouldn't be any discernable mileage gain from turning off your traction control on dry roads. That being said, if your driving on dry roads is such that the system comes on frequently, your mileage will suffer against the same car driven in the same conditions but in a manner more suited to the conditions. OTOH, you will be more likely to stay on the road than had you turned off traction control. Of course, you might save a lot of gas in the ditch - if you remember to turn off the engine...

The only potential fuel waste from a TC system is where it applies the brakes when it detects inappropriate wheelspin. If this results in excessive braking, it suggests that the driver is consistently giving speed to the car that the TC system then determines the car cannot handle. IOW, the gas used would be wasted if the TC system shaves the speed back - in these circumstances, one would expect the MPG to suffer.

In dry conditions, though, the traction control system shouldn't really activate at all - let alone frequently. IOW turning the system off in dry conditions won't save unnecessary braking because there is not likely to be any.

conedoctor
05-21-09, 11:42 AM
The TC system stops a wheel from spinning but that is not always going to slow you down as the wheel is overspeeding anyway.

There ia no way TC burns enough extra fuel under any condition that you could even measure it, even in winter mine does not come on very often and only when my foot is in it and that is why I am burning fuel not the TC system.

So no way IMO.