: Leather care?

avemaria
05-20-09, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone,

How do you care for your leather upholstery? What product or products do you use? Also, what do you use on the interior vinyl such as the dash?

I've read conflicting info on the subject and it gets a bit confusing, some recommend using nothing.

Thanks,
Lou

robb257731
05-20-09, 09:31 AM
Good question Lou, I was wondering the same thing myself. I just picked up a Brougham D'Elegance with a beautiful leather interior, and I want to keep it that way. I have leather furniture in my house, and was thinking about using the same conditioner on the car that I do on my furniture. That being said, the finish on the car leather is different from the furniture....the furniture is much softer and has texture to it, while the car interior is very smooth. I was wondering if putting any kind of care on the car interior would just smear around and make a huge mess.

durrk johnson
05-20-09, 10:17 AM
I was wondering the same thing guys... I have leather in my vehical but I realized leather, is skin, and most of the lotion and lotion soaps out there that are good enough for your skin would be good enough for your leather... I used some lotion softsoap w/ aloe vera on my seats to clean them yesterday and that seemed to work fine. :)

You dont wanna use any harsh interior cleaners on your car because that can actually make your seats worse.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-20-09, 02:39 PM
Read Sandy's post in this thread (third one down). He is the God of clean leather. I recommend cleaning it per Sandy's method and then use Leatherique to replenish the minerals in the leather, then protect it with the Pledge.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/163587-how-clean-leather.html

avemaria
05-20-09, 04:37 PM
Another question, my drivers side bolster shows wear, anyone have experience with redying? What about these companies that come to you to do seat repairs, Dr. Vinyl, ect.?

Robb, what's the story on the d'Elegance, any pics?

robb257731
05-20-09, 04:57 PM
PLEDGE? Seriously? Have any of you used this method? It kind of scares me, but if you've had success I'll give it a try. Actually...I think I'll try it on my old leather jacket first.

As for pics of the D'Elegance, I'll have to get some posted soon.

sven914
05-20-09, 05:38 PM
I usually use Murphy's oil soap on the seats, doors, dash, and vinyl top. It is marketed for use on unfinished wood surface, but it has secondary uses as a leather cleaner. There are few web sights that give directions on how to properly clean leather with oil soap (http://www.ehow.com/how_2300008_clean-leather-oil.html).

Cadillac Giovanni
05-20-09, 09:19 PM
I'm a big fan of Maguire's leather cleaner/conditioner for my seats, and turtle wax sun-stop for my dash.

Tzd1310
05-20-09, 10:19 PM
I used straight up softscrub with bleach on my white leather seats and they make 33 year old seats look brand new, I've used this on the doors and white panels and had nothng but excellent sucess, make sure to rinse well!

delzy
05-21-09, 12:11 AM
I'm a big fan of Maguire's leather cleaner/conditioner for my seats, and turtle wax sun-stop for my dash.
I agree with Meguires.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-21-09, 03:20 AM
PLEDGE? Seriously? Have any of you used this method? It kind of scares me, but if you've had success I'll give it a try. Actually...I think I'll try it on my old leather jacket first.

Sandy uses it all the time and I know several other members whom I have met in person that also swear by it. It makes the seats a little slick but it protects them and the dirt does not get embedded into the leather as easily.

N0DIH
05-21-09, 11:00 AM
Talk to your horse riders, the best stuff bar none is Lexo (http://www.lexol.com/)l. I am serious, this is THE BEST stuff there is. And not bad priced.

96Fleetwood
05-21-09, 11:19 AM
Talk to your horse riders, the best stuff bar none is Lexo (http://www.lexol.com/)l. I am serious, this is THE BEST stuff there is. And not bad priced.

I agree! My Father has been using Lexol for years and I continued the process with my cars. It is a 2 step system (cleaner & conditioner). It keeps the leather in my '96 soft and preserved.

robb257731
05-21-09, 04:28 PM
I've never seen Lexol...where do you find it?

Brother_B
05-22-09, 12:28 AM
Someone once told me their grandpa used Pledge on the seats, and the kids would slide from side to side in the back seat as he went around turns! I thought he said they did that on purpose so they would slide around, but I guess it actually had some functional value. MAybe that's how grandpa got the kids to do the Pledge for him?

N0DIH
05-22-09, 12:35 AM
I found it at O Reilly's. Bet most parts stores have it. Any horse supply probably too. Talk to a saddle shop. There is a saddle shop who makes saddles in Delavan, WI if you want to look one up. I am sure they will be able to advise on caring for leather.

I used to armorall my 76 Delta 88 Royale's seats and fling people back and forth too, it was a ball....

gillianwhittaker@xtr
05-22-09, 06:20 AM

yes ,have used a saddle product here --different name -- lanolin based if I recall rightly --everything leather --furniture to car seats to rugby boots --was great
mike

Fleet
05-24-09, 06:09 PM
I use Gliptone. It was highly recommended on a Cadillac mailing list.

N0DIH
05-24-09, 06:13 PM
I haven't heard of this one....

I use Gliptone. It was highly recommended on a Cadillac mailing list.

ShagPower
05-28-09, 07:28 PM
I like the meguiars vinyl/leather cleaner. It can leave your leather matte or shiny as well.