: '06 SRX front engine noise help

frankf72malibu
05-20-09, 12:59 AM
Howdy from Texas. We bought my wife an '06 SRX AWD V6. It has right at 50,000 miles now. It had a slight noise coming from the front of the engine. I checked things out and the idler pulley on the passenger side was bouncing around pretty good. I replaced the pulley and then replaced the complete idler pulley assembly. It seemed to help (a little) but still have the noise. Any guesses on what to check next? The alternator is quiet and spins smooth and when I spun the water pump ulley it felt smooth. Oil level is good. Thanks for any help you can give. Besides this one issue we love this SRX.
Frank

Superjim
05-20-09, 08:38 AM
You said "RIGHT AT 50,000"...if it is UNDER 50,000, take it to the Cadillac dealer and let them fix it.

frankf72malibu
06-21-09, 12:26 AM
You said "RIGHT AT 50,000"...if it is UNDER 50,000, take it to the Cadillac dealer and let them fix it.
Well it is over 50K now. Any ideas?

mthake
06-21-09, 11:11 AM
I have a cheap electronic stethascope that I picked up from auto zone. It is an unbelievable tool for situation like this. You will not regret the purchase. If it is a bearing that is going out, you will know it without a doubt. Good luck:thumbsup:

frankf72malibu
07-30-09, 03:54 AM
Just a follow up - I pulled both belts off and ran the SRX and still had the noise. I called a good buddy at a shop and asked his opinion. He said use the GM oil filter with Mobil 1 synthetic. I changed the oil and filter and low and behold the noise dropped dramatically.... I had read of posts on here about the oil filter but needed a little prodding.

raysirx
07-30-09, 09:12 AM
My 2004 v6 (102k) was very noisy on cold start up then died down by 80% once warm.
The dealer installed the redesigned timing chain and sprockets (differnet pitch) which lowered all noises by 95%
I had the work done at 98,000 miles, just before my GM extended wattanty ran out

david1
07-30-09, 09:27 AM
If close to 50K the dealer may still except to help retain customers.

frankf72malibu
08-01-09, 02:57 AM
Over 50K now. The wife has a bit of a drive each day.

Agent11br
09-05-09, 09:47 PM
frank,

How hard was it to change the idler pulley & assembly and what did you pay?

I'm having the same issue, its bouncing around like crazy and rattles like mad. It's almost embarrassing to stop at stop lights!

I've wrenched on cars before but never the caddy. Any advice would be great! Thanks! I was looking at it today and was wondering where I'd put tension at on the acc. belt to remove and re-install the ass. + pulley.

frankf72malibu
09-06-09, 01:07 AM
frank,

How hard was it to change the idler pulley & assembly and what did you pay?

I'm having the same issue, its bouncing around like crazy and rattles like mad. It's almost embarrassing to stop at stop lights!

I've wrenched on cars before but never the caddy. Any advice would be great! Thanks! I was looking at it today and was wondering where I'd put tension at on the acc. belt to remove and re-install the ass. + pulley.

It was really easy actually. You can get just the pulley for around $15 at Autozone or similar. If you go for the full idler pulley it cost around $89 at the same places. There is a square hole on the front of the idler pulley so you can put in a socket wrench. Then move the assy to pull the belt loose. There is 1 bolt in the middle and the assy comes off. I am thinking the new design timing chain will be needed for the noise now. It is simple so let me know how it goes.
Frank

05 SRX CADDY
09-06-09, 08:55 AM
Hi, im a gm tech at a cadillac dealership, i hear these noises everyday from the srx, my wife drives one and had the same thing. I replaced both pulleys hoping not to tear into the engine, but that wasnt the problem. The timing chains and guides sound like your problem, i done them on mine last week and the noise is gone, pretty big job. Theres also a service bulletin out for the harmonic balancer making noise. If yours is still under warranty, let the dealership fix it.. hope this helps

frankf72malibu
09-08-09, 01:18 AM
Hi, im a gm tech at a cadillac dealership, i hear these noises everyday from the srx, my wife drives one and had the same thing. I replaced both pulleys hoping not to tear into the engine, but that wasnt the problem. The timing chains and guides sound like your problem, i done them on mine last week and the noise is gone, pretty big job. Theres also a service bulletin out for the harmonic balancer making noise. If yours is still under warranty, let the dealership fix it.. hope this helps

No warranty left. I do have a good shop I trust. I am going to find out the cost from there. Other than the noise the car has been great! Thanks for the info.
Frank

frankf72malibu
10-11-09, 10:42 PM
Just an update for those interested. I did my research and took my SRX up to the local caddy dealer. I explained what was going on, what I knew it to be and they called me back in less than an hour. It is the timing chain. No more driving, come get a loaner. So I asked what is the cost since the car is out of warranty. Nada. It is covered and so is the loaner. Now we are waiting for the re-designed timing chain parts to come in. The loaner is a '09 CTS in the Lava color. Sweet little ride with every available option on it. We have had it just over a week and will have it for at least 1 more. I must say that the dealer we are working with is awesome and I have only heard good things about them from everyone I talk to. The only issue I have now is that my wife wants to trade the SRX in on the CTS....

Agent11br
10-12-09, 10:01 AM
WOW! that's great news! thanks for updating us all!

What exactly did you tell them and is this a recall item??

Mine has 87km miles and I would love to get it fixed for free :D

Agent11br
10-15-09, 10:52 AM
Update:

I contacted my local dealer and they said to bring it and they would take a look for me :)

Caper10
10-16-09, 10:43 AM
Where can I get more info on this? I have a 2005 V6 awd that is also noisy. Wondering if it is recalled as well?
Thanks
Mike

frankf72malibu
10-20-09, 03:34 AM
Agent11 and Caper10,
They never stated it was a recall. I called before hand, spoke to the service manager, told him that I knew Cadillac did a re-design on the timing chain and that after checking several things on my SRX to rule out other things that I knew it had to be the timing chain. I found the timing chain info here on the Cadillac forum. I belieev it was under CTS. I pick the car up Tuesday so I will post the results. Of course, the bigger problem I have now is getting my wife away from the Lava colored 2009 CTS loaner car. She wants that car....

frankf72malibu
10-20-09, 11:41 PM
I picked up my SRX today. The engine is so much quieter. I was curious as to how much it was going to cost me even though I was told everything was covered. I did have them do the Texas yearly inspection and my grand total was $39.75 That was for the inspection. I must say that Crest Cadillac in Plano treated me GREAT! I have heard nothing but good things and they proved it to me. Now all I have to worry about is my wife pushing for the 09 CTS loaner we had. LOL.

Agent11br
10-21-09, 05:54 PM
WOW! Amazing Frank!

I'm supposed to go into my dealer this week, he's been very helpful via email so far so my fingers are crossed!

frankf72malibu
10-26-09, 11:39 PM
Did you get to take your SRX in Agent11?

nyandfl
12-28-09, 01:59 PM
Can anyone else confirm this? I have 2004 SRX and would love to take it in and get the timing belt changed if it is faulty. I have heard some slight engine noise when running and have believed it to be the timing belt. Obviously I have been long out of warranty.

Agent11br
12-28-09, 02:54 PM
I FINALLY got to take mine in last week right before Xmas...unfortuntely, they aren't going to do anything :mad:

Due to mine being out of warranty and there never being an "official" recall on the timing chain I'm SOL.

Sucks but at least I know now.

frankf72malibu
01-21-10, 01:31 AM
Agent, that does suck! How many miles out of the warranty are you? You may also think about contacting Cadillac Corporate directly. When I asked a question to them about mine they were all over it. Maybe, just maybe they will make it right.

silversteed
01-22-10, 02:52 PM
Where did you find the information on the oil filter? I've searched on here for an hour and found nothing but this thread and another one that didn't really provide any information.

Valmerlara
03-02-10, 06:18 PM
Interesting..I just put my car in for an oil change, and also to check a possible similar noise. I hope this is not the problem, as we live in Germany and have to pay on the Euro. In the morning after being left out cold it makes the noise, still there after about 15 mins. of driving.

Agent11br
03-03-10, 09:26 AM
Interesting..I just put my car in for an oil change, and also to check a possible similar noise. I hope this is not the problem, as we live in Germany and have to pay on the Euro. In the morning after being left out cold it makes the noise, still there after about 15 mins. of driving.

You are pretty much SOL unless you are still under warranty. What year do you have?

Some late '05 and various '06 models had the chain version (I think it's like ver. 4 or 5) that the '07 had with all the issues. Most caddy dealers from what I read will take care of them esp. if you call Cadillac.

I tried calling Caddy but due to mine being 6 years old and 90k miles they said no go. Pretty lame IMO. If you know you have a design flaw, fix it!

YOU WOULD THINK that Caddy would say to themselves "We don't want our product sounding like an M1Abram Tank while our customer is driving it around because OTHER POTENTIAL BUYERS will HEAR AND SEE THAT plus hear them complain about it and thus they are FAR LESS LIKELY TO purchase or lease a Cadillac." Last I heard though, IGNORANCE it BLISS :thepan:

Honestly, it is what has deterred me from picking up an '04 or '05 CTS-V. The issues I've had with the SRX plus the differentials grenading makes you really second guess yourself on making the purchase. Still, a 400hp sedan would be pretty sweet...

richard7107
03-09-10, 04:20 PM
I have a 07 with a V8 I know its different but it sounds like a diesel.
I asked the dealer and they said its nothing.

edvanp
03-10-10, 07:59 AM
Sounds like a number of us have this noise issue. Any idea what the cost is to have this repaired if out of warranty? The wife's SRX is an 05 AWD V-6 with 45k on it.