: Brake calipers turned gold

camnet
05-19-09, 11:43 PM
Guys,

I was driving fairly hard at the track Friday with my new HPS + pads and my front calipers turned gold. They actually look like they were painted by someone. Anyone seen this and/or is it a problem (beside the obvious custom non matching calipers)? I have stainless lines as well and the brakes still feel good.

BC

thebigjimsho
05-19-09, 11:50 PM
Welcome to the club...

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/4482063/320375166.jpg

camnet
05-20-09, 12:05 AM
That must mean their okay as you car seems to doing just fine up that hill!
I guess this is what happens when you really start to use them (waiting for the actual brake points like the light cars do).

BC

thebigjimsho
05-20-09, 12:29 AM
That must mean their okay as you car seems to doing just fine up that hill!
I guess this is what happens when you really start to use them (waiting for the actual brake points like the light cars do).

BC
Brembo must have known that these calipers would turn yellow, then gold, with heavy use. Consider it an honor to join the gold caliper club...

NormV
05-20-09, 05:28 AM
Mercedes use of Brembos do the same. Most AMG cars don't have ducting like the V. What fluid are using and at what track?

Norm

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-20-09, 09:00 AM
The calipers on a lot of cars change color under hard use to let the dealer know so they can deny warranty claims.

liqidvenom
05-20-09, 09:50 AM
so does your calipers turn back to silver or are they gold for good. I need to hit up a track day when my car is back on the road.

thebigjimsho
05-20-09, 10:12 AM
gold for good.

Bueller
05-20-09, 10:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWktQi9fwW4

JMBCTSV
05-20-09, 10:57 AM
Next step, orange, then purple, then garbage.:)

These ones were actually not that old 2-3 weekends.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/nmseng/2005%20Season%20Photos/DSCN0077.jpg

stinkpalm
05-20-09, 10:58 AM
This has to be the coolest thing Ive seen in a long time! Man, I need to see what this car can do during a track day! Ive had it over 6 months and havnt been able to take it even close to her limits! Now I will know when Ive really gotten on her..I'll receive the gold badge of honor...LOL!

c4ss
05-20-09, 11:00 AM
I Might be joining that club come June 29th...

SoJersey05V
05-20-09, 11:31 AM
what about the rears... looks pretty cool if both were gold. i like that!!

JD03Cobra
05-20-09, 11:57 AM
Learn something new here every day.

nikon
05-20-09, 12:04 PM
Mine have a slight gold tint...nothing like jims though.

The Tony Show
05-20-09, 12:09 PM
Gold calipers are a badge of honor on a real man's V.

814V
05-20-09, 12:13 PM
+1 on the badge of honor

liqidvenom
05-20-09, 12:38 PM

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/nmseng/2005%20Season%20Photos/DSCN0077.jpg

now thats a good deal of heat in there. did you toss them due to damage or just because they looked bad on a clean race car?

NormV
05-20-09, 12:49 PM
Those were off Jim's SCCA race car. :)

Norm

now thats a good deal of heat in there. did you toss them due to damage or just because they looked bad on a clean race car?

nxlr8
05-20-09, 01:09 PM
No shit? :holycrap: I, also, did not know this...

silver02stang
05-20-09, 01:48 PM

couldn't help but notice your ccw classics center piece. do you happen to have a picture of them on the car? i've never seen 'em on a V - they look spectacular on a 'stang.

JMBCTSV
05-20-09, 02:04 PM
They are still good long into the rainbow of color changes. We just have a PM program. CCW classics on the car below. If someone could get the rears gold naturally I would be impressed.

Click Here for our 06 Gallery (http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/nmseng/2006%20Season%20Photos/)

thebigjimsho
05-20-09, 08:29 PM
what about the rears... looks pretty cool if both were gold. i like that!!
Your rear brakes do so little of the braking, you'd have to have a setup to switch bias to full rear to get them hot enough. The only way to match is to high-temp paint or powdercoat them a different color...

SLPR 6.0L
05-20-09, 08:36 PM
They are still good long into the rainbow of color changes. We just have a PM program. CCW classics on the car below. If someone could get the rears gold naturally I would be impressed.

Click Here for our 06 Gallery (http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/nmseng/2006%20Season%20Photos/)

I dont know which is worse, GP or gold package upgrade. Looks like shiat either way

CadzillaTN
05-20-09, 08:46 PM
looks good- just like a gold tooth....
http://www.billybobpacifiers.com/images/orig_gold.jpg

SLPR 6.0L
05-20-09, 08:57 PM
looks good- just like a gold tooth....
http://www.billybobpacifiers.com/images/orig_gold.jpg

cute picture. I went to dental school with the guy that co-invented Billy Bob teeth. He practices for fun

CadzillaTN
05-20-09, 09:12 PM
cute picture. I went to dental school with the guy that co-invented Billy Bob teeth. He practices for fun

practices what? making teeth?

here are a few (UT) volunteers.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/Memphis-V/UTfans.jpg

(sorry for the threadjack)

camnet
05-20-09, 10:05 PM
They have Motul in the them and it was at Thunderhill in Norcal. There are some great track days up there in June if you want to "paint" your calipers.

shadybx7
05-21-09, 12:18 AM
that's great that "gold" calipers are a badge of honor but for a DD it looks ghettoo...

Mystical_Ice
05-21-09, 12:25 AM
hmmm

what about some brake ducts in the front? i know we have that little slit below the parking and fog lights, but wouldn't actually piping it to the rotor like these guys do help? they do consecutive 215mph-->25mph in 1/4 mile stops several times an hour. i'm sure that racks up some heat!

just an idea :/

PISNUOFF
05-21-09, 12:08 PM
Mine were very gold before I painted them black with a silver V decal under high temp clearcoat. Now they have a brownish tint to the black (visible in the sunlight) and the V is rootbeer colored. TBJS called it when I posted pics a few months back.

trukk
05-21-09, 08:30 PM
...rocking the gold here too..

-Chris

thebigjimsho
05-22-09, 03:10 PM
that's great that "gold" calipers are a badge of honor but for a DD it looks ghettoo...
If you're a poseur, sure... :duck:

MrAceman
06-14-09, 08:44 PM
I joined the club today. :)

Everyone at Road Atlanta that I pointed it out to said "That is freaking awesome."

Right now they are just a faint "dirty" gold... but 1 more HDPE weekend and I think they'll be a beautiful rich gold.

And, truthfully, they look awesome, even on a DD.

James R. Brown
11-10-11, 01:25 PM
I want to do a track day soooooo feakin' bad!!!!

mberisha
11-10-11, 06:25 PM
concur

johnny6
11-10-11, 06:35 PM
Well i was supposed to participate in a road course event in February, after seeing this thread i'm having second thoughts.

JDB
11-10-11, 07:34 PM
Mine after its first track day... chasing down Porsches at Thunderbolt. darker now.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79868&d=1315072938

mstrjon32
11-11-11, 04:56 AM
So how long were you guys running before the calipers turned? I love going to the ring but it's not really a "race" so I always pull off for a cool-down after each lap. BUT, if these gold calipers are the badge of honor, I'm gonna run back-to-back laps until I've got a nice healthy glow going. :) They look awesome!

Aurora40
11-11-11, 07:56 AM
So how long were you guys running before the calipers turned? I love going to the ring but it's not really a "race" so I always pull off for a cool-down after each lap. BUT, if these gold calipers are the badge of honor, I'm gonna run back-to-back laps until I've got a nice healthy glow going. :) They look awesome!

Mine turned gold after the 2nd session at V-day in June. They are about 20 minutes each.

http://aurora40.dyndns.org/cadi/gold_brakes.jpg

mstrjon32
11-11-11, 08:09 AM
Sweet. Next time I make it to the track (and it's starting to look more and more like it will be next year...ugh) I'm going to run at least 3 back-to-back laps (~9 minutes each). I'd love to rock the gold calipers.

Aurora40
11-11-11, 11:12 PM
While I was pretty thrilled about it at V-day, I've since come to regret it. The car looks pretty dumb with different caliper colors front to rear. And they are not that bright gold anymore, they are quite a bit paler now.

I'll also say that it may not just be time on the track (though that has to help), but I was pretty aggressive/hard on the brakes. I was getting into the ABS fairly regularly into turn 1. And I tended to overbrake a bit, as this was my first time ever doing that. That said, stock pads and whatnot, and they performed perfectly. The pads were pretty crumbly afterwards and the rotors were rusty as hell, but I had zero fade, 100% confidence, and a great time.

If you have 100 seconds to waste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CPXSffoqxs

mberisha
11-12-11, 08:01 AM
Nice Vid.....looks like a sweet track! A lot of run-off too in the turns.....alot more forgiving than the Armco that's sometimes a few feet away from the track on the 'Ring.

Scares the p00p out of me sometimes.....

2007ThunderV
11-12-11, 09:17 AM
awsome video!

odla
11-12-11, 10:10 AM
yea very cool vid!

jcollege
11-14-11, 07:23 AM
Awesome vid!

liqidvenom
11-14-11, 03:25 PM
Mine didnt turn at all during my track day....

AAIIIC
11-14-11, 05:14 PM
While I was pretty thrilled about it at V-day, I've since come to regret it. The car looks pretty dumb with different caliper colors front to rear. And they are not that bright gold anymore, they are quite a bit paler now.
My calipers are significantly darker than yours - pretty much STI gold now - and I've never had anyone notice it unless I pointed it out. And that's even with wide-open 5-spoke 19" wheels. Obviously, we all have our own likes and dislikes when it comes to our own car's appearance, and the only person's opinion that really matters is your own, but if it makes you feel any better, it's unlikely that anybody else notices the difference. :p

I'm going to cure the "problem" by going with the yellow V2 "Black Edition" calipers. I think they'll look awesome on a Stealth Gray car.

If you have 100 seconds to waste:
If you only have about 86 seconds to waste (jump ahead to ~1:50) :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=u86iMfL6Ybk#t=110s

liqidvenom
11-14-11, 06:22 PM
my car does the same back fire on the track.

AAIIIC
11-14-11, 09:10 PM
Backfire?

liqidvenom
11-14-11, 09:35 PM
The expulsion of unburnt fuel during the shift, which coupled with an increased exhaust temps caused the fuel mixture to ignite in the tail pipe. thus the sound i heard. which I also had happen to me while I was on the track.

Some may call this " spitting flames"

shadybx7
11-15-11, 10:04 AM

If you're a poseur, sure... :duck:

hmmmmmmmmmmm

wait....

wut...

not everyone feels that having mismatch calipers is the :tits:...

:stirpot::stirpot:

AAIIIC
11-15-11, 10:44 AM
The expulsion of unburnt fuel during the shift, which coupled with an increased exhaust temps caused the fuel mixture to ignite in the tail pipe.
I know what a backfire is, I'm just confused about which video you think you heard it in. I don't hear anything in aurora's video nor mine.

lunarx
11-15-11, 11:16 AM
I'm going to cure the "problem" by going with the yellow V2 "Black Edition" calipers. I think they'll look awesome on a Stealth Gray car.

Do the rear V2 Yellow calipers fit on the back of a V1?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Aurora40
11-15-11, 08:09 PM
Do the rear V2 Yellow calipers fit on the back of a V1?
The rear calipers are unchanged from the V1, if I'm not mistaken.

The yellow would look pretty cool on a stealth grey car, especially with some dark wheels. I thought about doing the 6-pot front upgrade just because it would replace the gold calipers. I just can't get past how pricey the rotors are, though, they cost more than the calipers.

lunarx
11-15-11, 08:34 PM
The rear calipers are unchanged from the V1, if I'm not mistaken.

The yellow would look pretty cool on a stealth grey car, especially with some dark wheels.

I was told they show up as different part numbers (if comparing Silver V1 to Silver V2).
Has someone confirmed that the V2 rears fit a V1?

I dont like the look of the Yellow Calipers on a V2 but I'm thinking they would look real good on a Black (or Stealth Gray) V1.

liqidvenom
11-15-11, 09:30 PM
I know what a backfire is, I'm just confused about which video you think you heard it in. I don't hear anything in aurora's video nor mine.you get worked up pretty easy.

4:40-4:54 in your vid right after the shift, maybe i heard something that wasnt there.

AAIIIC
11-15-11, 11:54 PM
I was told they show up as different part numbers (if comparing Silver V1 to Silver V2).
I hadn't gotten that far in my "plan." I'll have to see if I can get my hands on one to compare.

you get worked up pretty easy.
:confused: (Of course, my expressing confusion at your comment will just reaffirm your thinking that I'm getting worked up.) If asking questions is getting worked up, then yes, I get worked up easily. :lol:

liqidvenom
11-16-11, 12:11 AM
just busting your chops.

lunarx
11-16-11, 12:14 AM
I hadn't gotten that far in my "plan." I'll have to see if I can get my hands on one to compare.

:confused: (Of course, my expressing confusion at your comment will just reaffirm your thinking that I'm getting worked up.) If asking questions is getting worked up, then yes, I get worked up easily. :lol:

Were you worked up in that Track Video?
If so, we should all get so worked up.
You were putting that V to good use, Nice driving!

JimmyH
11-17-11, 07:31 PM
Rear V2 brakes are different, but I don't think they are any bigger.

Nate37AZ
11-18-11, 12:58 AM
Your rear brakes do so little of the braking, you'd have to have a setup to switch bias to full rear to get them hot enough. The only way to match is to high-temp paint or powdercoat them a different color...

Funny you mention this, because I just ran my V at the track for the first time (not my first track day as a driver though), and only my rear calipers changed color. They didn't change much; they are the color of gold chem-film. But the fronts are still silver. What could cause this? The car is still totally stock, except for HP+ pads.

rjoffe
11-18-11, 07:34 AM
Air in the front system ?

AAIIIC
11-18-11, 01:56 PM
What could cause this?
What mode was Stability Control in?

Nate37AZ
11-18-11, 02:22 PM
Air in the front system ?

Possibly/probably. It has whatever fluid the PO had in there (only had the car a month or so). I'm going to flush with RBF600 this weekend.

What mode was Stability Control in?

Good point, I didn't think of the stability control causing it. I ran with it fully on most of the time, but I think I put it in competition mode for a few laps. Related question: will the stability control still go into competition mode even if it doesn't display on the nav screen (due to an incorrectly programmed nav)?

AAIIIC
11-19-11, 11:38 AM
Good point, I didn't think of the stability control causing it. I ran with it fully on most of the time, but I think I put it in competition mode for a few laps. Related question: will the stability control still go into competition mode even if it doesn't display on the nav screen (due to an incorrectly programmed nav)?
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the answer is NO, it won't got into Comp Driving Mode. My understanding is that the nav system defaults to thinking the car is a regular CTS (which doesn't have Comp Driving Mode), so if it's not set up properly you can't access that option.

If the Stability Control was on, then it's using the rear brakes to help control the yaw. Depending on how much it's doing that, I could see that getting the rear brakes pretty hot.

Nate37AZ
11-20-11, 10:53 PM
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the answer is NO, it won't got into Comp Driving Mode. My understanding is that the nav system defaults to thinking the car is a regular CTS (which doesn't have Comp Driving Mode), so if it's not set up properly you can't access that option.

If the Stability Control was on, then it's using the rear brakes to help control the yaw. Depending on how much it's doing that, I could see that getting the rear brakes pretty hot.

Yeah, I definitely see how the stability control could have caused it. I will have to see about getting the nav reprogrammed, hopefully I can get them to fix it for free since some dealer must have messed it up when the nav was replaced (before I owned it). Thanks!

I'm planning to put in some new fluid and then hit the track next month to see if I can get the fronts to match the rears... :lildevil:

AmigoBB
11-22-11, 05:58 PM
Before taking it to the dealer just check the connections to the back of the radio, that was the problem when my V would not go into Comp mode.

thebigjimsho
11-26-11, 04:30 PM
you get worked up pretty easy.

4:40-4:54 in your vid right after the shift, maybe i heard something that wasnt there.Sounded like gears meshing to me...

thebigjimsho
11-26-11, 04:33 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm

wait....

wut...

not everyone feels that having mismatch calipers is the :tits:...

:stirpot::stirpot:If you care so much about aesthetics over performance, go buy a pretty new Fiat...

mberisha
11-26-11, 05:16 PM
HAHHAHAHahahahahhahh.....very true....very true.....

mstrjon32
11-26-11, 06:34 PM
I'm so jealous that I don't have the gold calipers! This will be corrected next year!

mberisha
11-27-11, 05:34 AM
I'm so jealous that I don't have the gold calipers! This will be corrected next year!

I know...however the Vs are "tuned" for for the 'Ring.....maybe that has something to do with the front brakes not getting to the boiling point....:lildevil:

mstrjon32
11-27-11, 07:44 AM
Maybe. I'm also running relatively fresh Amsoil brake fluid, but that shouldn't change the amount of heat that builds up in the rotors. I'm going to have to run a few back to back laps at Nurburgring next year, and if that doesn't do it, I'll just have to go to Hockenheim!

crankedupforit
11-27-11, 10:10 AM

I have on a several occasions "ran out of talent" and invoked the stability control in comp mode on track day. I, like AAIIIC, don't believe it is working behind the scenes without a message. I know this sounds really off the hook, but I tinted my rears gold as well when I first started going to the track. Seems I was unintentionally nudging the accelerator pedal when threshold braking causing the rears to heat up. I do have 10EEE feet however.

Nate37AZ
11-28-11, 01:59 AM
I have on a several occasions "ran out of talent" and invoked the stability control in comp mode on track day. I, like AAIIIC, don't believe it is working behind the scenes without a message. I know this sounds really off the hook, but I tinted my rears gold as well when I first started going to the track. Seems I was unintentionally nudging the accelerator pedal when threshold braking causing the rears to heat up. I do have 10EEE feet however.

Ah, that would also make sense. Do you heel-toe downshift? I wouldn't think heel-toe would cause the problem though, since you should have the clutch in when you blip the throttle...

crankedupforit
11-28-11, 02:57 PM
Ah, that would also make sense. Do you heel-toe downshift? I wouldn't think heel-toe would cause the problem though, since you should have the clutch in when you blip the throttle...

I agree heel and toe shouldn't cause it. On the track your pushing the brake pedal pretty far down compared to street driving. If you like to use the balls of your feet, like I do, you can get some overhang that clips the accelerator. Everyone style is different though and this doesn't happen to everyone.

Nate37AZ
11-28-11, 11:41 PM
I agree heel and toe shouldn't cause it. On the track your pushing the brake pedal pretty far down compared to street driving. If you like to use the balls of your feet, like I do, you can get some overhang that clips the accelerator. Everyone style is different though and this doesn't happen to everyone.

Yep I know what you mean, pretty sure I've done that before too. :shhh: Glad to know I'm not the only one that managed to heat up the wrong set of calipers though. :cool:

AAIIIC
01-28-12, 06:09 PM

I dont like the look of the Yellow Calipers on a V2 but I'm thinking they would look real good on a Black (or Stealth Gray) V1.
I picked up some yellow V2 rear calipers today and verified they fit on the V1. As far as I can tell, they are the same (same piston diameters, obviously the same pads). I wasn't able to actually measure the V2 pistons, because the pistons on the new calipers are fully retracted, but just eyeballing it they look to be the same diameter.

I posted this in the V2 retrofit thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/219790-v2-rotor-caliper-retrofit-v1-cars-6.html#post2844932), too, but I remembered the question had come up somewhere and I wanted to follow up on it. :)

thebigjimsho
01-28-12, 07:29 PM
You so ricey!

j/k

crankedupforit
01-29-12, 09:49 AM
It's all about yellow. :)