: Headlight squiter problem on my wifes 06 srx...I think?

TampaCTS-V
05-19-09, 11:09 PM
I bought my wife an 06 SRX and it has headlight squirters on it. The problem is anytime the auto lights turn on the squirters engage. This happens daily as she drives into and out of her parking garage at work and the auto lights switch on. She has gotten several dirty looks from coworkers that have been walking in front of the srx as the headlights came on and proceeded to squirt water at them. Is this normal? Is there a way to turn this feature off? The car is under warranty so I want to make sure it is or is not normal before i take it to the dealer. She runs out of washer fluid just about every other week. Any info on this? Thanks

King3244
05-19-09, 11:58 PM
Did you look in the drivers manual? I don't have squirters on mine so I can't help from personal experience.

Northern SRX
05-20-09, 07:29 AM
This is not normal. The headlight washers should engage only when the headlights are on and the windshield washer is manually activated. If this is happening without your wife touching the windshield washer stalk, then you have a wiring issue - i.e. that the circuit that turns on your headlights is now also turning on the washers. I am guessing that the previous owner or seller modified something in the circuitry that has caused this.

When the auto lights come on, do the headlight washers only come on once or do they stay on? Regardless, this should be a relatively easy one to chase down for any mechanic who's good at electricals.

TampaCTS-V
05-20-09, 07:32 AM
This is not normal. The headlight washers should engage only when the headlights are on and the windshield washer is manually activated. If this is happening without your wife touching the windshield washer stalk, then you have a wiring issue - i.e. that the circuit that turns on your headlights is now also turning on the washers. I am guessing that the previous owner or seller modified something in the circuitry that has caused this.

When the auto lights come on, do the headlight washers only come on once or do they stay on? Regardless, this should be a relatively easy one to chase down for any mechanic who's good at electricals.

They come on just at first, but they pop out, spray, and retract about 3 times in a row.

edharson
05-20-09, 11:04 AM
They come on just at first, but they pop out, spray, and retract about 3 times in a row.

From the SRX User Manual:
Headlamp Washer
Your vehicle may have headlamp washers. The
headlamp washers clear debris from the headlamp
lenses.
The headlamp washers are located to the inside of the
headlamps.
To wash the headlamps, press the washer button
located at the end of the windshield wiper lever.
Both the headlamps and the windshield will be washed.
After the first wash, the headlamps will be washed
after the fifth press of the windshield washer button.
The headlamps must be on to be washed. If the
headlamps are off, only the windshield will be washed
when the washer button is pressed. If the washer fluid
is low, the headlamp washers will not work.

Hope this helps.
Ed

TampaCTS-V
05-20-09, 07:18 PM
Looks like I will be making a trip to dealer. Thanks for the quick responses.