: Watch that tune.

nuyorkah
05-19-09, 12:40 PM
If you goto your Dealer under warranty and need a new engine GM is now requiring Dealers to take a photo of your calibration(tech2) in the PCM before they ship the engine. They never did this before. If a aftermarket tune is found there will be a complete warranty block on your powertrain and driveline .

#09-06-04-026: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines - (May 18, 2009)
Models: 2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
Equipped with V8 Gas Powered Engines only

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non-GM (aftermarket) engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

When alteration to the GM-released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine , transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That’s because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that is essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally, non-GM (aftermarket) issued engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and/or penalties.

This bulletin outlines a procedure to identify the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

In May 2009, the PQC will begin piloting a process to confirm the ECM/PCM calibration is GM issued. Beginning on May 18, 2009, the PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in this bulletin, before authorizing any V8 gas powered engine replacement.

If a non-GM calibration is found and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and notated in GMVIS and the dealership will be notified.

Plug in the Tech 2.
Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle.
Select "Powertrain".
Select "Engine".
*Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM".
*Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.
*If "I/M information System" was selected, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.

Take a CLEAR digital picture of the Tech 2 screen showing the engine calibration verification information as shown above.
E-mail the snapshot picture to ******@gm.com[/email]. In the subject line of the email include the phrase "V8 Cal" as well as the complete VIN and Dealer BAC. In the body of the e-mail, inlcude the VIN, mileage, R.O. number and BAC.
Allow two hours for the PQC to verify the calibrations and set up the case details.
You may call the PQC two hours after submitting the e-mail for authorization to replace the assembly. This will provide them time to receive, review and set up a case on the request. Please be prepared to provide all the usual documentation that is normally required when requesting an assembly authorization from the PQC.

deedubb
05-19-09, 12:41 PM
This is why I have 2 PCM's :D

JD03Cobra
05-19-09, 12:56 PM
This is why have PCM hasn't changed. At least not yet.

Scatillac
05-19-09, 01:12 PM
And on top of that..........Obama just announced that 13 states have applied to institute the Draconian CARB standards of the Republik of Kalifornia, which includes the tailpipe sniffer test, no headers, etc. ad nauseum. :nono:

BacDoc
05-19-09, 01:18 PM
And on top of that..........Obama just announced that 13 states have applied to institute the Draconian CARB standards of the Republik of Kalifornia, which includes the tailpipe sniffer test, no headers, etc. ad nauseum. :nono:

Before long I'll be running moonshine and pirated dvd's in my V!

CTSV_510
05-19-09, 01:20 PM

:eek:

What states? Do I have to move now?

OldRoadDawg
05-19-09, 01:25 PM
:eek:

What states? Do I have to move now?
Uh... you haven't been payin' attention.
Fast Eddie has been doing his best to adopt CARB standards in PA

CTSV_510
05-19-09, 01:28 PM
:crying:

NormV
05-19-09, 02:12 PM
EPA has the final say. Article from a few years ago. Obummer might play his hand like he's fuddled up everything else so far.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/20/sorry-carb-epa-says-states-cant-regulate-their-own-emissions/

Norm

liqidvenom
05-19-09, 04:01 PM
not sure what obummer has fouled up so far. thanks to him ive made a pretty penny this yr compared to the last idiot we had.

and this doesnt apply to 2005 vehicles? just the cars that are under the 100k oem gm warranty

lollygagger8
05-19-09, 04:07 PM
Glad I'm out of warranty (for once)

Not glad Obummer (nice one Norm) is trying to screw with my fn car now!!

VineTime
05-19-09, 05:11 PM
not sure what obummer has fouled up so far. thanks to him ive made a pretty penny this yr compared to the last idiot we had.

Obummer spent a trillion dollars on a bailout package that I've heard nothing about since.. Anyways.. If you use a handheld tunner to tune a 2006 car and then set it back to stock when you bring it in will it still show up?

SkullV
05-19-09, 07:56 PM
Would it be possible to get a second PCM with a stock tune that would show up correctly on their snapshot?

BacDoc
05-19-09, 08:27 PM
Would it be possible to get a second PCM with a stock tune that would show up correctly on their snapshot?

Or save you OEM pcm and have a tuned pcm shipped to you for $160? That would be amazing.

;p

SkullV
05-19-09, 08:39 PM
Or save you OEM pcm and have a tuned pcm shipped to you for $160? That would be amazing.

;p

and then you could have a significantly less accurate tune too (not that its a bad tune at all).....I was more wondering about having jesse ship me a bone stock pcm programmed for my vin...

MauiV
05-19-09, 09:35 PM
I know that they can read engine starts on a Tech II too. When my PCM was changed to a factory one in an attempt to fix my steering position sensor problem I had the car scanned the next day at another dealer and it only showed 3 or 4 starts on that PCM.

BacDoc
05-19-09, 10:19 PM
and then you could have a significantly less accurate tune too (not that its a bad tune at all).....I was more wondering about having jesse ship me a bone stock pcm programmed for my vin...

He programs them all to the specific VIN. I'm sure you can get a bone stock pcm .

timinfla2
04-28-10, 09:47 PM
Fellas,
Sorry for raising the dead here but I read in a previous post about getting another PCM sent to me with a superior tune on it for $160. Can you please point me in the right direction here?

Thank you,
Tim

darkman
04-28-10, 10:03 PM
http://wait4meperformance.com/

Baltimore07V
04-28-10, 11:05 PM
This is why i am waiting until my warranty is done before I start my engine work. Doing everything else first. Brakes, suspension, rims first. Then saving up for the big build.

Here's a long term view of this whole mess.

1.) GM is looking to control after market tunes/emissions.
2.) States are adding tail pipe sniffers/stricter emissions.
3.) ??????
4.) States/Fed start factoring emissions tests 2-5 yrs into the life of a vechile into the CAFE standards.

Basically in management whenever you are trying to create a process, in this case lowering emissions, you would do the following.
1.) Create Process (CAFE Law)
2.) Impliment Process (CAFE Standards set, manufactures follow under threat of fines)
3.) Validate Process (Emissions tests)
4.) Correct anything as necessary (IE People doing an end run around emissions with aftermarket parts/tunes), so manufacturers start putting pressure on these to avoid CAFE Standards.

Thats my drunken BS conspiracy theory for tonight. Here's to long sets of tire tracks, wheel hop, and broken diffs.

bjv
04-29-10, 01:07 AM
I think it would be totally awesome to get a complete sent to me with a superior tune on it,

for $160,

for my LS2.....

:(

whisler151
04-29-10, 09:49 AM
I think it would be totally awesome to get a complete sent to me with a superior tune on it,

for $160,

for my LS2.....

:(

On the plus side, you have a better engine then them. :shhh:

lollygagger8
04-29-10, 01:52 PM
Ya truck engines are superior.........

In weight :stirpot: