: Cts-v discontinued?

varrius
05-19-09, 01:37 PM
I was at my local cadillac dealership yesterday getting my navigation unit replaced in my 07 v.

My salesman informed me that the v was discontinued and showed me some GMAC documentation to prove it. Is this true?

Razorecko
05-19-09, 01:44 PM
It could be possible since now obama has announced the min 33.5mpg standard by 2016. It will take all car manufacturers SERIOUS money & time to work to those standards by such a short time. Scott said production wont start until July 17. So we should all know around the beginning of July indefinitley if the V will survive or it will become one of the shortest lived production vehicles ever.

demorgan59
05-19-09, 01:49 PM
I would be disappointed, but not surprised.

asabase
05-19-09, 02:07 PM
oboma is bitter he had to sell his 300C for image reasons and now he is taking it out on everyone else

Krug Ford
05-19-09, 02:08 PM
I am hearing this is going to be bad for us big truck owners too that like the 2500 and 3500 series too.

If anyone is looking for a V that should do it now.

Luna.
05-19-09, 02:14 PM
While it wouldn't surprise me, I also wouldn't be surprised if they kept it. The hard reality is that there is, and probably will continue to be, a very high demand for high performance automobiles. The aftermarket industry alone is still a multi-billion dollar industry and many of those mods are go-fast goodies.

What would infuriate me, especially as a go-fast enthusiast, would be an attempt to completely eliminate such market. Anyone who supports this should be summarily stabbed in the head.

In my mind, just because Obama is looking to increase the average MPG significantly does not, in and of itself, mean the demise of high-performance automobiles. Firstly, it's an average. Also, too many vehicles get REALLY had gas mileage and DON'T make up for it in performance. In my mind, if I'm going to get crappy gas mileage, then I better have a high-HP car! Unfortunately, truck owners, you might get slammed here, as well as many "normal" cars that suck (like my mom's Ford 500--what a piece of sh*t--no power AND crappy gas mileage! :mad:)

dvandentop
05-19-09, 02:16 PM
would be a shame if it was discontinued

CIWS
05-19-09, 02:32 PM
That standard is an average for all the cars the manufacturer makes. Besides that does anyone here really think the design for an 09 CTS-V is still going to be in production by 2016 if nothing were changed ? 5 years is a pretty standard run for a particular design before things change. So unless they simply want to kill it, the design can still be produced through the 2014 year model and then end production on a "normal" cycle without touching the 2016 standards.

NeedCTS-v
05-19-09, 02:53 PM
GM has proven it can provide great performance and great efficiency. I was getting an average of 24-28 hwy in my Z06 (C5). The V is different because it is a "guzzler" and this is something that GM has actively tried to avoid (in its cars anyway) for years. This is why they introduced the 1-4 skip shift in their performance cars and the valet key (cutting off half of the injectors) in the original ZR1.

In the current political climate I don't personally see anyway for GM to support any gas guzzling car while the company cannot stand on its own two feet. Also, with cars like the Corvette being as efficient as they are, the V stands out more and more like a sore thumb. This is one of the main reasons I bought when I did.

If the V brand does survive (over the next several years) I cannot see it remaining the full bore supercharged LSA (unless they come up with some crazy engine management), perhaps a close derivative with a lower consumption NA motor and a tall overdrive like they've used in years past. Maybe not for 2010, but soon I would guess if not canceled altogether.

Its all speculative at this point but I suspect that the Vs days are very limited.

GM-4-LIFE
05-19-09, 02:54 PM
Doesn't surprise me either. Anytime GM has had a hit on their hands, they stop making them. I remember when Chevy dealers couldn't keep the 1994-1996 Impala SS on dealer lots and the demand was huge. What did GM do? GM cut production of the Caprice/Impala SS to produce higher profit trucks leaving those out in the cold that wanted the B-body vehicles. It makes business sense, but it doesn't keep owner loyalty where it needs to be.

GM spent all that R&D, testing money to produce the CTS-V and they won't be able to re-coop the costs. How is that a smart decision? The CTS-V is too low volume of a car to make a dent in GM's revenue. They need to make more of them in order to cut production costs and increase profits.

I guess this is good for those of us that already have the CTS-V. It may mean higher resale value and more of a specialty vehicle.

Here in L.A. which is the car capital of the world, I have only seen a couple of the 09 Vs, so I know dealers here don't really have them and there are so few of them out here, I can go months without seeing another one besides mine.

SG

vperl
05-19-09, 03:05 PM
If indeed the V is discontinued, when will the production numbers for the 09 V be made public

Wait at your own peril

Vrocks
05-19-09, 03:24 PM
Discontinuing the V doesn't make any sense at this time. If they did (and I'll wait for a 100% offical announcement... not a rumor), I'd find an '09 (plenty around) and if that didn't work, I'd look at an M3. So, they gain absolutely nothing by discontinuing the current CTS-V... they need to recover R&D costs + the car is selling.

homesite
05-19-09, 04:15 PM
I'm telling you there will not be a 2010 v. The government is to involved now and will not allow a car with that gas mileage.

Vlakaz
05-19-09, 04:27 PM
I agree with the "get one while you can" statement. You never know what will happen. While it will be unlikely for all high performance vehicles to be cut, I think some will not find their way into 2010. Regardless of how great a car this is, if GM had to choose between keeping the V or the corvette I am positive the V would be gone.

The amount of $ spent on R&D means nothing, that is money already gone by the wayside, and moving forward they will need to look at where they can make the most profit and what vehicles they can keep inorder to gain positive the public/political perception.

I wonder how many well recieved/reviewed car/models in history have only been around for 1 year production runs?

neuronbob
05-19-09, 05:26 PM
oboma is bitter he had to sell his 300C for image reasons and now he is taking it out on everyone else

ROFL! :D

But seriously....rumors like this are FUD and not to be taken seriously.

Let's think rationally. Obama's announcement indicates that a) the standard has to be reached by 2016--seven years from now--and b) "full service" carmakers will have different requirements from carmakers that make exclusively smaller, more efficient cars (aka Honda and Toyota).

What does this mean for V ownership?

The planning for the V2 likely started five years ago and the final product happened to be launched at a time of relatively low gas prices, yet with the current economic crisis....and is selling like hotcakes, as far as an expensive sports sedan can. The V can be sold for its entire run 2-3 years, maybe more, without affecting the overall GM CAFE average....it's a single model that will sell maybe 4k copies this year. I'm quite sure that has little to no effect given that GM is on its way to selling perhaps 2 million cars this year.

So I believe there will be a 2010 V and our dealers here on the forum have confirmed this already. Unless GM plans an annoucement that the V2 is gone, don't believe anything you hear.

This news is primarily for planning of new cars for five years out--the time it takes to plan for a new model. I see nothing to panic about....but then again, I already have my V, so I don't care in any case.

todd03blown
05-19-09, 05:47 PM
This is interesting and will be more so on how all of this pans out....

Uriel
05-19-09, 06:07 PM
For future CTS-V's, how about a twin turbocharged version of the 3.6L Direct Injection Engine used in the 09 CTS Sedan? Fuel economy would be great as would HP & torque and a there would be lot less weight up front. I'll bet there will be an aftermarket development for this engine especially as it will be the V-6 used in the 2010 Chevy Camaro. Remember the Buick GN of several years ago? A lot of ass got kicked by that car! Our V2 (V3) could be around for a while yet - especially if it were the CTS-V Coupe - with Carbon Fibre in selected areas to reduce body weight. There is no telling how such a machine would perform. Hey guys, all it takes is belief and imagination - that's how worlds are created.

N0DIH
05-19-09, 06:16 PM
Keep up the 3/4t and up trucks, they are exempt from CAFE....

Unless he, "the annoited one" screws that up too.

I am hearing this is going to be bad for us big truck owners too that like the 2500 and 3500 series too.

If anyone is looking for a V that should do it now.

Dick's06Vee
05-19-09, 06:44 PM
Some of you guys are missing the point here. You're saying stuff like recovering R and D costs, public demand, yada, yada, yada. This is a whole new ballgame now and you can not compare it to anything else in past history. The federal government is now running two of the big three. Do you really believe that these idiots calling the shots (feds) give a S_ _ T whether or not you might want a performance vehicle? Come on now, think about it. The Feds are going to stuff shitty little eco boxes down people's throats. When that is the only type of vehicle available, then people will HAVE to buy them! I said it several months ago in my post "my gut feeling" and I still stand by my gut! The V's days are numbered........and it's not a large number.

JEM
05-19-09, 06:51 PM
This news is primarily for planning of new cars for five years out--the time it takes to plan for a new model. I see nothing to panic about....but then again, I already have my V, so I don't care in any case.

I don't think you'll see vehicles like the V disappear. I think you may see them priced at a level that ensures they don't sell in big numbers. It would be a tragedy if GM got out of that game, they've just gotten good at it.

If times were a little better, I'd go back to suggesting that the automakers need to offer right-brain/left-brain packages. A CTS-V and a Volt, or a Viper and a Fiat 500, etc.

Krug Ford
05-19-09, 06:51 PM
FRom a source they are gonig to start cracking down on thos and start to lower the vehicles ride height to increase MPG.. Also there is laws being introduced to keep lift trucks off the road ways to because they are not approved from the goverment or insurance companies.

When we think we have something figured out there is something else to fix and resolve..

It does not make me happy either.

Look at the motorcycles and ATV's in the emissions too.

Krug Ford
05-19-09, 06:52 PM
btw.. there was even talk to keep people out of the lager trucks unless you were a business owner that needed to haul things..

That didn't pass as of yet..

to many laws that are not the answer.

JEM
05-19-09, 06:55 PM
The Feds are going to stuff shitty little eco boxes down people's throats.

There's going to be price-rationing. Things like CTS-Vs and 2500HD Sierras will be priced at a level to ensure that they pay for whatever damage they do to the company's CAFE numbers.

BMW, for one, historically hasn't given a flying Philadelphia fornicative act about CAFE, they put the gas-guzzler charge on the window, people pay it, the US Govt sends them a bill for the fine they owe for missing CAFE and they pay it.

Maybe GM needs to sell CTS-Vs as kit cars...not quite like with the FAA and the 51% rule. Sell the roller for $45K, ship it to the customer with the address of a shop that can install the engine...

1fstkde
05-19-09, 07:13 PM
sorry guys...time to buy german!!!!!!!!! if the goverment is going to tell us what we can buy,, we are screwed...i dont mind if they make a great car that gets great gas milage,that will work for some people. but to discontinue the rest of the fleet? for get about it!!:rant2:

CIWS
05-19-09, 07:42 PM
sorry guys...time to buy german!!!!!!!!! if the goverment is going to tell us what we can buy,, we are screwed...

I believe those standards will be for all cars sold in the U.S.

Uriel
05-19-09, 08:08 PM
Buy German? WTF -- Why pay the high price when a few mods from the good ole US of A will kick the dog crap out of Any Merc or BMW. Have you ever read Hot Rod Magizine or similar publications? For less than 20K you can make improvements that will have your V2 outrun a stock ZR1 not to say anything about those German products. A modified CTS-V from any number of homeland tuners will run a modified BMW M5 ($150K+ Dinan Stroker) into the ground. And you all know this --- don't you?

N0DIH
05-19-09, 08:20 PM
Buying foreign, German, British, Japanese, Korean, whatever, is WHY the big 3 is so screwed.

People have no concern for keeping profits here in the US. I still look and am very concerned about buying American, I don't give a rats a$$ where it is ASSEMBLED, where is the PROFIT going? Look at it this way items everyone has, cars and cell phones. Blackberry (you know, the one the anointed one, the President uses?), Canadian, Nokia, Finnish, Sony/Erickson, Japanese, Samsung, Korean, etc . Apple/Motorola, American. GM/Ford/ChryCo, American, etc. Sorry boys and girls, people are awfully selfish and WANT to buy foreign and don't really care what it is doing to our economy.

YES, the car companies have screwed up, big time, but still would buy American when I buy a car, even if used. I do try to even ensure that the car is one that is actually made here given the choice (76 Delta 88, 79 Monza, 94 Fleetwood,80 T/A, 00 Buick Park Ave, 85 Cutlass, 99 Suburban). But the key thing for big ticket items, is MADE HERE IN THE US and PROFITS coming here.

Remember the old bumper stickers? "Hungry, Eat your IMPORT"... Yeah, like that. America needs to get back to buying American. Buy a used CTS-V then, but don't buy foreign.

sorry guys...time to buy german!!!!!!!!! if the goverment is going to tell us what we can buy,, we are screwed...i dont mind if they make a great car that gets great gas milage,that will work for some people. but to discontinue the rest of the fleet? for get about it!!:rant2:

jasaero
05-19-09, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised either, but not sure this is true. Think it's been less than 2 weeks since the guy on GM's cadillac.gmblogs.com guy reiterated that the CTS-V would stay. That was 2 week ago product plans which is like 5 years ago in this age of Government motors product planning. He actually said they are working on new V-Series models without GM HPVO's even existing. Kinda neat, but guessing that also means less extreme V-series models that are more trim level upgrades with power tweaks.

Anyhow, can't claim for certain this guys news is wrong, but think CTS-V2 will run out whatever life it was supposed to have. I am even guessing there will be a CTS-V3, but doubt it will be as extreme as this one unless they can somehow shave lots of weight from the CTS.

PS - Not saying a V3 would be a GM Cadillac CTS-V3 either. Could be a Chery Cadillac CTS-V3 for all we know now.

1fstkde
05-19-09, 09:31 PM
Buy German? WTF -- Why pay the high price when a few mods from the good ole US of A will kick the dog crap out of Any Merc or BMW. Have you ever read Hot Rod Magizine or similar publications? For less than 20K you can make improvements that will have your V2 outrun a stock ZR1 not to say anything about those German products. A modified CTS-V from any number of homeland tuners will run a modified BMW M5 ($150K+ Dinan Stroker) into the ground. And you all know this --- don't you?
what im trying to say is, DONT EXPECT ME TO BUY A HYBRID!!!!! COMPRENDE?????? and if that is the only thing to buy, im buying a motorcycle!!!

vperl
05-19-09, 09:58 PM
what im trying to say is, DONT EXPECT ME TO BUY A HYBRID!!!!! COMPRENDE?????? and if that is the only thing to buy, im buying a motorcycle!!!

do they make three wheelers?

vmaniac
05-19-09, 11:22 PM
The last thing I want to see is a higher production run of CTS-Vs. Let's keep the numbers low, the scarcity high and resale high.

AuPanda
05-19-09, 11:26 PM
Also remember that the big push is not just gas mileage but "green house gasses." That wonderful little sticker on our cars indicates our V2s are the worst offender. I believe that is what may be the undoing of the powerful V2.:rant2:

N0DIH
05-20-09, 12:38 AM
My new license plate for my 99 Suburban K2500 454: "XSV CO2" The treehuggers will hate me...

tedcmiller
05-20-09, 01:20 AM
About two weeks ago, I gave the Cad V-series another six months. Perhaps I was optimistic.

marktanner
05-20-09, 02:25 AM
The whole CAFE law is one of the most stupid laws ever, IMO. Numerous articles have been written about this in the automotive press. One can't legislate what people will buy, because they will buy what they want and can afford. Gas mileage guides what people will buy when gas hits $3.50-$4.00/gallon, at least in this country. That was proven last fall, before the economy completely tanked. People were demanding high mileage cars then. Expensive cars that got terrible mileage sold less well, but still sold, because anyone who can afford an expensive car can afford to buy expensive gas to run it, if they choose.

This scenario is well played out in Europe, where there are no gas mileage laws. The fleet there already gets 35 MPG. The reason is that they have REALLY expensive gas. The governments made this happen by taxing the hell out of gas, which then goes to fund whatever they want to with the proceeds. They still sell gas guzzlers in Europe, and they cost a fortune to run, but that is personal choice. Most people buy fuel efficient vehicles because that is all they can afford to run. Those that can afford Ferrari's buy them and buy the gas and don't complain. And the fleet gets 35 MPG.

As far as CAFE goes, the few thousand V2's and ZR1's that are sold will have virtually zero effect on the average for the corporation. That is how statistics work. All of the press on these two models has been great, with virtually no mention of their gas mileage. The new law doesn't even start phasing in until 2012. These cars are actually selling, and helping GM's bottom line right now, when they need it the most. So, in my opinion, cancelling the V would be a stupid move, and hopefully just a rumor.

Now, if the government had any guts, they would raise taxes on gas to "encourage" the purchase of fuel efficient cars, and cancel the really stupid CAFE laws. Of course, this will never happen, because taxes are not popular, but one can dream. In the meantime, I can enjoy my V as much as I want to. I would not object, though, if Cadillac were to make something like the Converj concept but with a bit better performance than the Volt. It would make a great city car and daily driver, and then I could use the V for fun, and use much less gas overall. That would work for me, too.

GMX322V S/C
05-20-09, 04:30 AM
...and start to lower the vehicles ride height to increase MPG...Well, musclesbmf is doing his part, eh? :D

vperl
05-20-09, 04:38 AM
Well, musclesbmf is doing his part, eh? :D

someone voted for them

I know not who

proexpert
05-20-09, 09:34 AM
This is from gmblogs. I hope it's okay to copy/paste that info here.

Clearing the Air a Little
By David Caldwell
May 8, 2009

Twitter and the web are bubbling with comments about the future of some high-performance cars. Let me try to clear the air here, as is often the case some stuff is valid and some stuff isn’t.

The new CTS-V is off to a good start. We’ve sold roughly 1,000 units so far this year - which is good for a specialty/niche model of this type. We’re very pleased with the excellent reception CTS-V is getting from customers, auto enthusiasts and the press. It’s a very important aspect of Cadillac. Anyone claiming it’s going away is NOT accurate. CTS is the centerpiece of Cadillac, successful on many counts. The CTS-V is a big part of that success. I can’t put it any more plainly than that.

We are phasing out the STS-V model once the 2009 model year production concludes. Obviously, many things in today’s industry are changing. Lower volumes almost across the board in the industry are causing these kinds of adjustments by many brands and manufacturers. STS-V is a car we’re proud of. Until the CTS-V was introduced recently, the STS-V was the most powerful Cadillac ever offered. And it also was one of the first models in which we introduced the hand cut-and-sewn interior craftsmanship process that now is central to our new CTS and SRX models.

There are lots of little bits on Twitter and online about this being related to the GM Performance Division. Let me try to cut through that a little. The news on the GM Performance Division disbanding as an organization is not really the emphasis here. People have somewhat over-estimated that organizational change as being the cause of a bunch of product decisions. High performance cars existed before that organization was founded….and they will exist after it’s gone. For instance, Cadillac’s V-Series continues. We are working on future V-Series projects, though too soon to detail what they are.

CIWS
05-20-09, 10:00 AM

do they make three wheelers?

Yeah you can get a trike, like one based on a Goldwing, or the "new" Can-am Spyder.

http://www.guanhowsuperbike.com/smallpictures/news-brp-can_am_spyder.jpg

Vrocks
05-20-09, 10:19 AM
Also remember that the big push is not just gas mileage but "green house gasses." That wonderful little sticker on our cars indicates our V2s are the worst offender. I believe that is what may be the undoing of the powerful V2.:rant2:

The window sticker on the regular CTS is only one bar higher, if I remember correctly... It was a rating of around 5 bars and the V got a 1 in both areas, while the CTS got a 2 and a 1.

Vrocks
05-20-09, 10:31 AM
This is from gmblogs. I hope it's okay to copy/paste that info here.

Thanks for posting that. I think people need to realize that the administration is focused on GM's profitability right now, not their CAFE standing. Hence the reason why they're supporting GMs stance on importing more vehicles from Mexico and shedding jobs here - the unions days are numbered, even though they're getting preferential treatment over bond holders (only 6 billion of their debt is secured anyway). I tend to think that the larger piece of the pie is going to the UAW (sorry for going off topic) because they're nearing the end, and they're trying to make sure they'll have some form of healthcare / pension plan in the years / decades to come.

The new standards aren't fully in effect until 2016, that's 7 years from now. I know it's a very short period of time when it comes to product development but it definitely doesn't mean they need to kill the V now.

We're supposed to get a new CTS in 2013. The current CTS-V will most likely make it until then.

marcw
05-20-09, 10:55 AM
A few observations:

Obama’s announcement regarding the new CAFÉ standards also included the fact that the new rules phase in during the 2012 model year.

The CTS-V does produce a “halo effect” for the brand, bringing in more benefit to GM than just the straight profit per unit sold.

It takes quite a bit of time to tool up/ re-tool for a new model, or to plan for next year’s model. The 2010 ordering guides are already out. From what I understand, dealers are already taking orders for 2010’s.

My bet is that before we know it, Fall will be here, and the 2010’s will start rolling off the assembly line. Even if Washington hates the V, will the bureaucrats be able to stop it before production ramps up?

It’s also possible we may even see 2011 V’s, but almost certainly no 2012 V’s (as we know the car today), due to the new CAFÉ standards.

Yes, the high performance division is gone. Heinricy and the boys are off to other projects. Will the V line continue? Yes, probably……in a diluted fashion. Look at the BMW M cars today. They are coming out with a tt 4.4l M version of the X6. Merc slaps an AMG badge on just about anything with a sport package these days. Give me a break! By 2012, the V badge (if it still exists) probably wont be a shadow of what it is today.

If Vrocks is correct about a new CTS in 2013, than this scenario sounds about right.

What we have now is the pinnacle of what will be remembered as a golden era. It's all downhill performance-wise from here, one way or the other.....

vperl
05-20-09, 11:32 AM
Yeah you can get a trike, like one based on a Goldwing, or the "new" Can-am Spyder.

http://www.guanhowsuperbike.com/smallpictures/news-brp-can_am_spyder.jpg

Good then all the doubters and waiters will have a means of trransportation along with the ones that were ready to jump on the euro snob bus

Buy American

Krug Ford
05-20-09, 11:32 AM
I have a spyder its actually fun to ride.

4gear70
05-20-09, 11:58 AM
The window sticker on the regular CTS is only one bar higher, if I remember correctly... It was a rating of around 5 bars and the V got a 1 in both areas, while the CTS got a 2 and a 1.

I love 1 bar cars! :burn:

Razorecko
05-20-09, 12:38 PM
CORRECTED - UPDATE 1-GM bankruptcy plan eyes quick sale to gov't
Tue May 19, 2009 2:02pm EDT

(Removes third paragraph with reference to not making any other payment)

By Chelsea Emery and Tom Hals

NEW YORK, May 19 (Reuters) - General Motors Corp's (GM.N) plan for a bankruptcy filing involves a quick sale of the company's healthy assets to a new company initially owned by the U.S. government, a source familiar with the situation said on Tuesday.

The source, who would not be named because he was not cleared to speak with the media, did not specify a purchase price. The new company is expected to honor the claims of secured lenders, possibly in full, according to the source.

The remaining assets of GM would stay in bankruptcy protection to satisfy other outstanding claims.

GM has about $6 billion in secured debt, including a secured revolving credit and bank debt.

The government's plans include giving stakes in the new company to GM's union and bondholders, although the ownership structure of the company is still being negotiated, said the source who is familiar with the company's plans.

In addition, the government would extend a credit line to the new company and forgive the bulk of the $15.4 billion in emergency loans that the U.S. has already provided to GM, the source said.

The government has given GM until June 1 to restructure its operations to lower its debt burden and employee costs.

If those talks failed, the company has said it would follow rival Chrysler LLC into bankruptcy.

Setting up a new company to buy the healthy assets is aimed at reassuring consumers who might not be willing to make a major purchase from a bankrupt company, fearing it would not honor warranties or provide service.

The board of the new company would be established with the tacit approval of the government. Fritz Henderson, who took the helm of GM earlier this year after the government pushed out Rick Wagoner, would likely head the new company, the source said.

GM could not be immediately reached for comment.

GM shares were up about 9 percent at $1.29. (Editing by Gerald E. McCormick)

Reuters

1-2-N-V
05-20-09, 02:21 PM
In the meantime, I can enjoy my V as much as I want to. I would not object, though, if Cadillac were to make something like the Converj concept but with a bit better performance than the Volt. It would make a great city car and daily driver, and then I could use the V for fun, and use much less gas overall. That would work for me, too.

Right on! if the Converj makes production, GM's attempt to align with the entire green world, I would buy one in a minute. My wife's Infinity M35X is gone. The Converj is a beautiful concept car. I got to see it in person at the NY Auto Show. Nice! Go Caddilac.... but keep the V!

Luna.
05-20-09, 04:09 PM
The whole CAFE law is one of the most stupid laws ever, IMO. Numerous articles have been written about this in the automotive press. One can't legislate what people will buy, because they will buy what they want and can afford. Gas mileage guides what people will buy when gas hits $3.50-$4.00/gallon, at least in this country. That was proven last fall, before the economy completely tanked. People were demanding high mileage cars then. Expensive cars that got terrible mileage sold less well, but still sold, because anyone who can afford an expensive car can afford to buy expensive gas to run it, if they choose.

This scenario is well played out in Europe, where there are no gas mileage laws. The fleet there already gets 35 MPG. The reason is that they have REALLY expensive gas. The governments made this happen by taxing the hell out of gas, which then goes to fund whatever they want to with the proceeds. They still sell gas guzzlers in Europe, and they cost a fortune to run, but that is personal choice. Most people buy fuel efficient vehicles because that is all they can afford to run. Those that can afford Ferrari's buy them and buy the gas and don't complain. And the fleet gets 35 MPG.

As far as CAFE goes, the few thousand V2's and ZR1's that are sold will have virtually zero effect on the average for the corporation. That is how statistics work. All of the press on these two models has been great, with virtually no mention of their gas mileage. The new law doesn't even start phasing in until 2012. These cars are actually selling, and helping GM's bottom line right now, when they need it the most. So, in my opinion, cancelling the V would be a stupid move, and hopefully just a rumor.

Now, if the government had any guts, they would raise taxes on gas to "encourage" the purchase of fuel efficient cars, and cancel the really stupid CAFE laws. Of course, this will never happen, because taxes are not popular, but one can dream. In the meantime, I can enjoy my V as much as I want to. I would not object, though, if Cadillac were to make something like the Converj concept but with a bit better performance than the Volt. It would make a great city car and daily driver, and then I could use the V for fun, and use much less gas overall. That would work for me, too.

Well said sir. I applaud your comments

TAGZO
05-20-09, 05:17 PM
it would be really sad if it is gone! but if the V is gone, then our V value will really go up :D i would start $200000 for mine :D

Florian
05-20-09, 07:43 PM
it would be really sad if it is gone! but if the V is gone, then our V value will really go up :D i would start $200000 for mine :D

All youll have is a highly depreciated car.....

F

vperl
05-20-09, 09:38 PM
Some will actually have a 09 V .

That is good, others will be crying....... " I waited to long".... too bad.....

Get on the next jet to Europe, buy all the stuuf you want... over there

varrius
05-22-09, 11:09 AM
Cadillac CTS-V Potentially Discontinued if General Motor Turns into Obama Motors
Posted May 4 2009 02:35 PM by luciscup
Filed under: Industry News, General Motors, Sedans

For those of you following the shrinking of General Motors (GM) as it tries to devise a survival plan that could allow a takeover by the federal government, Cadillac has been designated one of its core brands. Its previous association with Saab and Hummer has been dissolved, and the historic old Cadillac brand — which, at 106, is older than GM itself — is looking toward the future.

A question for GM’s prospective government owners: How will you feel about the 556 horsepower CTS-V?

You don’t hear much about maxi-cars from Washington these days. The Obama Administration is one that talks about restraint and sacrifice when it is not inveighing against global warming and climate change...Continued

-----------------

http://blogs.internetautoguide.com/6534633/industry-news/cadillac-cts-v-potentially-discontinued-if-general-motor-turns-into-obama-motors/index.html

vperl
05-22-09, 11:26 AM
The Above is old news, 20 days ago many read this, since the news from some has been more uplifting and hopeful. I am looking to be positive and the V will be produced in 2010 as many have told us all .

TAGZO
05-22-09, 04:30 PM
All youll have is a highly depreciated car.....

F

it will go down in price if you allow it! everyone has to keep it hi so it will stay at a good value! :D

in any event, long live the V :D

Daviddi888
05-23-09, 02:30 PM
I don't think the CTS-V is a gonner, but the STS-V is. Your sales person might not got his facts straight. :-)

CTS-Vee
05-24-09, 02:37 AM
I'm confused. Not sure what to do...I was thinking of getting the Nissan GT-R but Nissan has some ridiculous stipulations on their warranty..."you can't do this or you void your warranty...." so no more GT-R.
As a former 07 CTS-V owner I definitely want the 09 but I'm not sure what a GM bankruptcy will mean for Cadillac....our warranties, etc.