: Interior C-pillar panels loose -

bneal1022
05-19-09, 11:56 AM
Good morning guys. Still getting used to my new used V. I almost don't miss my 99 hardtop vette. I dropped in my K&N will be doing and documenting the B&M shifter this weekend.

I have noticed a squeaking in the car and I seem to think it is coming from the interior panels on the rear C-pillars. The rear passenger side air bag panels. Mine just seem to "hang" loose at the top and do not seem to be rigidly mounted. Is this because they must float in the event of the airbag deployment? It looks like hell having a 1" open gap at the top rear of the panels. Ideas?

perfect
05-19-09, 11:58 AM
mine does the same thing (although I don't hear a squeak) but it definitely hangs loose

haven't figured out a good way to fix it and makes it look pretty bad considering this is a Cadillac

CadiBlk
05-19-09, 12:10 PM
If it is the material that is behind the rear passenger windows and rear window, then that is covered under warranty (I and many others have had it replaced). There is a small (maybe more) plastic clips that hold that panel on. They are weak so that in the event of an airbag deployment that the panel will open.

Those panels have been known to come off due to wind in the car while driving with the windows down at high speeds. If you aren't under warranty any more, do a search here in the forum and there are many folks that have fixed those panels themselves.

CTSV_510
05-19-09, 12:10 PM
The clips will break if you have the rear windows down when you're driving fast. The way they are designed they catch all the air coming in the window and it pulls the panel out. Mine were fine for the past year and a half until my buddy was driving ~100 mph and his girlfriend in the back seat opened her window. :banghead:

soundexp
05-19-09, 12:13 PM
Yeah....mine does the same thing but only on the driver's side. I am afraid to touch the passenger side just in case it starts too. This is an issue that should be covered by warranty one would think. Anybody try getting the dealer to fix it?

stinkpalm
05-19-09, 12:23 PM
Yeah....mine does the same thing but only on the driver's side. I am afraid to touch the passenger side just in case it starts too. This is an issue that should be covered by warranty one would think. Anybody try getting the dealer to fix it?

Ya got Covert Cadillac to fix mine under warranty. Too bad, they just rigged the shattered plastic tabs with more washers + electrical tape...thx :thehand:

Why buy a new panel when you can just scam the consumer...so now I have one droopy panel! :banghead:

lollygagger8
05-19-09, 01:52 PM
Sail panels.....I posted this awhile ago. I think everyone said use a washer in between the panel and the clip so they dont break as easy. I've been too lazy to fix em, but plan to get on it soon.

bneal1022
05-19-09, 03:43 PM
Oh... I'll make it work and stay so when the airbag decides to introduce itself that panel will be brain deep in the rear passenger:thepan:

Rey
05-19-09, 07:48 PM
I got tired at looking at the loose sail panels. I "glued" the fabric edges to shut the panels using the fabric glue that Billie May sells. Got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. It is holding nicely. Not worried that sail panel airbags will deploy exactly as designed as I never have passengers in rear seat.

Bueller
05-19-09, 08:46 PM
I've had 3 of these replaced under warranty. Most likely when the dealer installs these they tighten them too much and the replacements are broken before you leave. Just a tad more than finger tight and mine are working well now.

BacDoc
05-19-09, 10:21 PM
Cheap GM interior meets superior powerplant.