: Finally got my car back...

V for Vendetta
05-18-09, 09:42 PM
...its almost fixed!

I've been w/o it for almost a month and I've only owned it for 3. :(

I broke the power steering trying to do donuts, but wheel hop was wicked, so I stopped pretty quickly.

Replaced both hoses with new commercial grade custom made from a local diesel shop, and still the car is not perfect.

I would say 90% of the time it steers fine. Only after driving for a while (20-30 minutes or so) when I go to park, the wheel tightens up and I get what I would describe as pwr st pump noise/whine...

...only at low rpm.

If I rev the engine up a bit it's much easier to turn the wheel.

1/2 the people I talk to say it's the rack, the other 1/2 (including the people who rebuild racks and ship them nationwide) say its not the rack, but don't know what it is.

I haven't had a Tech2 on it yet, but there are no codes on the dash.

It doesn't make a difference if I drive like gramma or Mario Andretti, it reacts the same.

My mechanic who has been a GM tech for 15+ years and has some experience with the V is baffled and just as frustrated as I am. He has always been able to solve any issue I have had with any of my vehicles and he is definitely not a parts-swapper kinda guy.

I really, really don't want to put a new rack on or rebuild mine if it won't solve the problem.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I knew it would fix the problem, but I'm really disgusted with this car at this point.

I know you have to pay-to-play so to speak, but I really didn't do anything to this car that SHOULD have caused this. I bought the V because I was supposed to be able to do this. I used to drive a 350z and I never would have thought I'd want that back once I got the V, but man am I disappointed.

It's an 04, 2 owner clean carfax and 58k. (no warranty...YET)

Just looking for opinions and whether I should replace the rack, cuz I think I may just live with it...

:(

vetteboy2k
05-18-09, 10:08 PM
It's funny is I did the same thing... donuts in a parking lot and as soon as I was done, the power steering was acting up. Its ok under normal driving and when I give the car any gas, unless I am in very low speed parking manuvers and then the steering wheel goes tough and makes the same power steering noise/whine that your describing.

Too coincidental! The only difference is that I don't have to drive for 20 or 30 min to get it working fine, its ok from a cold start or any time, its sporratic, but always at very low speeds and when I am not on the throttle. Humm something we need to look into as to why.

CadzillaTN
05-18-09, 11:28 PM
note to self: no donuts...

Each time I replace the rear 2 tires, I think about smokin the old ones off....glad I didn't. sorry you guys are having problems......

another unsolved V mystery!!!

the V is like a high priced hooker...normal stuff, not outrageously expensive...wanna play rough? better get the checkbook out!

SkullV
05-18-09, 11:30 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with the boiling point of your power steering fluid. I have the Redline full synthetic stuff in mine and have done a TON of doughnuts without any problems...

NormV
05-19-09, 07:05 AM
As Ted mentioned, flush some fresh fluid through as the pump PS might be shot.

Norm

V for Vendetta
05-25-09, 03:54 AM
vetteboy2k-

Interesting. After driving it now for a couple weeks, mine acts like yours. When I first start it and it's cold, the wheel will turn with my pinkie even at idle, but the MORE I drive and the hotter it gets the worse it is.

Just for the h3ll of it I'm gonna flush the power steering pump and try the Redlineoil synthetic and see what happens.

You're the first person that I've mentioned this to that's heard of this problem.

hmmm....

TKSFab
05-26-09, 10:18 AM
Your power steering is more or less a hyrdaulic, generally what causes low pressure in a system, is a pump going bad, low fluid, and on rare occausions i've had problems with the fluid itself.

do a flush, check for any sort of leaking. if it still does it, i'd bet on the P/s pump.

Ferny
05-26-09, 08:25 PM
mine went out too. not sure why. got it replaced under warranty. i been without my car for a week already. some stupid seal is on back order. they called and said the car will be done tomarrow:bouncy:

V for Vendetta
05-26-09, 10:02 PM
Ive already tried two new Delco pumps.

People say it's the rack but it only does it when hot?

wtf?

Im gonna try synthetic after another flush.

TKSFab
05-27-09, 10:17 AM
when its hot, the fluid thins out you'll loose presssure when it thins. It sounds like a pressure problem, you dont have the problem with the steering when the rpms are up because the pump is spinning faster, thus creating more pressure.

i dont see how it could be the rack. i guess its possible, but you'd be seeing dipping or, the car would be doing some funkier things.