: $225 for a windshield?

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-18-09, 10:23 PM
Well, after a two inch rock came off the tire of the GTO in front of me at 100 mph+ on the front straight at Pueblo, I'll be in need of a new windshield here pretty soon. I went a checked on it today, and was quoted $225 which actually was way less than I had expected. Is this about right?

I'll have to get a picture, but I ended up with a nice circular crack almost dead center at the base of the windshield. I saw the rock coming the whole way. Fun stuff. :eek:

blue89bird
05-18-09, 10:24 PM
that's pretty damn cheap, go for it.

Goonie
05-18-09, 10:35 PM
It's funny how some companies price glass.

When I had my vette I got quoted from $1500 to $300 for the same piece of glass. You can even haggle with them.

I think I went with diamond glass, came to my work and did it in the parking lot. Pretty cool.

darkman
05-18-09, 10:51 PM
Hard to say, every windshield I ever bought was covered by car insurance. Whatever I paid was always a function of the policy's windshield deductible, which is usually different (less than) the general collision deductible. I think I've always paid either $100 or $200.

shadybx7
05-19-09, 02:33 AM
yea thats about what i paid for mine...$240 installed in my driveway. its not oem but polaris i think :hmm: ( ill check tomorrow)

my insurance laughed at me when i asked if the windshield was covered. fckers

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-19-09, 03:23 AM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/UnsafeAtAnySpd/100_1882.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/UnsafeAtAnySpd/100_1880.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/UnsafeAtAnySpd/100_1881.jpg

NormV
05-19-09, 07:45 AM
Cheaper than have to repaint! C5 corvette had HUD specific windshield can get expensive compared to the regular glass.

Norm

lollygagger8
05-19-09, 10:19 AM
Cheaper than have to repaint! C5 corvette had HUD specific windshield can get expensive compared to the regular glass.

Norm

:yeah:

Good thing it didn't blast into your hood! That looks like a decent size rock. $225 seems cheap! If they'll come out and do it, that's even better!

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-19-09, 11:46 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. A big gouge out of the hood would've sucked. They said they should be having a 'military discount' pretty soon that will knock another 10% off. So I might wait a bit and see.

rjoffe
05-19-09, 12:01 PM
One word of warning, your stock GM windshield has got a low-e glass, most after market do not (even if the rep tells you it does). When I have windshields replaced, I always insist on getting a factory windshield (with GM logo). That's the only way to guarantee that you are getting the same grade of product. Cheap windshields lead to a host of issues (heat, fit, finish),etc. This is one place where I truly believe you get what you pay for.

mikes2nd
05-19-09, 12:08 PM
I got mine replaced by safelite. They came to my house and did it in the driveway.

liqidvenom
05-19-09, 12:40 PM
One word of warning, your stock GM windshield has got a low-e glass, most after market do not (even if the rep tells you it does). When I have windshields replaced, I always insist on getting a factory windshield (with GM logo). That's the only way to guarantee that you are getting the same grade of product. Cheap windshields lead to a host of issues (heat, fit, finish),etc. This is one place where I truly believe you get what you pay for.

i dunno about that, ive worked at two oem vehicle manf and when glass gets broken they do the same thing that everyone else does.... call up a local glass guy and have them replace the oem one with something cheaper. and these are expensive luxo cars.

but what does low-e glass refer to?

Slithering_Joe
05-19-09, 01:05 PM
I think the most important thing is to find an installer that can be trusted to do the job correctly. Many out there hack the interior, cut corner (pun) or do not use the proper rust inhibitors and adhesives. The windshield works in conjuction with the airbag system to protect the occupants. If the window channel rusts out or the adhesive does not hold the windshield may leak, pop out or it withstand the event of an accident. I like to stay with the factory glass.

rjoffe
05-19-09, 01:27 PM
what does low-e glass refer to?

Low-e glass is a filter build into the windshield (or other windows). A car with low-e glass stays much cooler in the summer and minimizes interior fading.