: CD Repair

Rafterd
05-18-09, 08:06 PM
Anyone know where you can get the 6 disk changer repaired? Mine just says "disk error". I found a place, but they wanted $275 to repair it.

Bill

N*Caddy
05-18-09, 09:17 PM
I repaired 2 so far, one has the mechanism busted (some idiot jammed the magazine in) and the second was not spinning the disk, turned out to be water intrusion into one of the banner cables connectors.
Try the followings:
1. Insert a full magazine and listen if it passes through all disks
2. Listen if the disks are spinning

Alternatively grab a 12 V DC power supply and take the CD changer out (bench test). Remove the case connect the 12 V DC power supply (pin 5 is +12VDC and 7 is 0VDC).
Apply power and insert magazine with disks, check is mechanics inside works (changer mechanism, disk-spinning motor, and lens moving motor). You will have to take the back plate out (that part where the cable connects) in order to remove the case. But once the case is removed reconnect the back plate.

But regardless the first thing you will do is cleaning the lens. You can either use one of those CD lens cleaner disks or once you opened the case use a very fine brush. Is slightly complicated because the lens in our changers is facing down (disk data face up) but is not that bad.
If you will be located near me I wold have look at it for free.

Any way if all fails one BRAN new changer should be no more than $175 on E-bay(prices starting from $30 depending on the shape).

Rafterd
05-19-09, 08:46 AM
I have had it out and checked it over. You can watch each disk load, spin up, and unload. Sometimes it will play 1 or even 2, take the cartrige out, reinsert it and may play a different one. Tried the Radio Shack cd cleaner. I found this one on e-bay for $125, guess I'll look for another. There is one for $50, but they say for 98-03, but we know that is WRONG!!! What about blowing it with air???

Thanks
Bill

N*Caddy
05-20-09, 12:53 AM
I have had it out and checked it over. You can watch each disk load, spin up, and unload. Sometimes it will play 1 or even 2, take the cartrige out, reinsert it and may play a different one. Tried the Radio Shack cd cleaner. I found this one on e-bay for $125, guess I'll look for another. There is one for $50, but they say for 98-03, but we know that is WRONG!!! What about blowing it with air???

Thanks
Bill

NO, NO!

You don't use sledge hummer for the small trims and stuff...