: Transmission Bites Dust

Cadillac Giovanni
05-18-09, 04:10 PM
Well, it finally happened. After years of showing no wear or malfunction, the tranny in my 89 Brougham copped out. Just today I was driving and suddenly with a loud bang and a series of grinding noises, my transmission bid me adieu.

Not sure if it's entirely spent, but it sure sounded like it was. My question to you, has anyone here bought a remanufactured transmission from any place that they could specifically recommend? Or do you find that having your existing tranny rebuilt is a better option?

jayoldschool
05-18-09, 06:04 PM
If it were me, I would just throw in a used trans. Dirt cheap, and easy to install...

Cadillac Giovanni
05-18-09, 10:43 PM
Would that really be best? The 200-4rs are known for their unreliability, do I really want to dig an untested trans out of a junkyard, only to have it not work, or worse, fail on me 500 miles down the road?

jayoldschool
05-19-09, 10:59 AM
Most yards will give you a warranty on parts, and will provide the VIN and mileage of the car that the part comes from. I run a used T56 in my Impala SS. Of course, that trans can hold 450 ft-lbs of torque, stock :D

I understand your concerns. First, make sure that you didn't break a U joint, or grenade the rear end. Put the rear end up on some jack stands with the rear wheels off the ground, start the car, and have someone go through the gears while you watch the driveshaft. If there is no movement of the driveshaft, the problem is the trans.

Your problem is probably a broken sun shell. Common failure. Call some local rebuilders and ask for prices. Are you capable of removing and reinstalling? You will save a bundle...

Cadillac Giovanni
05-19-09, 06:13 PM
I could swap it myself, but I have a friend that may be able to rebuild mine for a good price. Thanks for the input though, I'll check my local salvage yards as a backup plan.