: GPS mounting

bbshriver
05-18-09, 02:47 PM
I have the non-GPS STS, and prefer using my Garmin Nuvi anyway... Just wondering where people moung GPS's, I'm not a huge fan of the suction cup to windshield treatment especially with the power cord dangling down to an outlet.

I found
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_042IF7103L/Pro-Fit-Legend-Series-Vehicle-Specific-Mount.html?tp=1939&tab=review
which claims to be "vehicle specific" but wondering if anyone has used one, how/where it mounts and looks etc. Or any other good options. Anyone run a power supply from somewhere other than a power outlet?

mbnv992
05-18-09, 05:14 PM
I also have the non-nav STS, and also hate the windshield mounted GPS holders. So, I used 3M glue (that black sticky paste stuff) and glued the mount right in the middle of the dash. Looks very good actually. When I don't use the GPS, she goes in the house, and the mount stays on the dash. I run the power cord through the outlet in the center counsel. Looks very nice when it's all set up.
I can still kick myself for not getting the nav. with the STS when I bought it, but heck for a $54,000+ luxury car, who expects these cars to come with one anyway ???

WillySTS
05-18-09, 07:54 PM
who expects these cars to come with one anyway ???

I do...I've even got one in my ol' Chevy pickup, it's not oem but it is an indash Pioneer unit,w/bluetooth(excellent one, I might add),XM w/XM traffic realtime. I wouldn't be without one from now on.:cloud9:

mbnv992
05-18-09, 10:11 PM
I know, lol I was just being a smart ***. With a $54,000 and up car, you'd expect a lot MORE then JUST a GPS with your car. However, I was dumb, and in a hurry to by my car. Now I wish I took the time and looked for an STS with what I wanted in it (GPS, HUD, HID lights, etc.). For the amount I'm paying a month, and what I'm getting is definitely not adding up. Hell, by buddies new Mazda 3 has almost as many features as my car does, for like $650 a month less then my car. Oh well, now I'm depressed lol

K STS
05-19-09, 02:28 AM
yeah, i made that same mistake with my fully loaded CTS, non-nav. Thats why I have the V8 STS w/ Nav now.

bbshriver
05-19-09, 08:01 AM
Built in GPS can be nice, but I find that the aftermarket ones are often better, and easier to work with I just wish there was a more attractive way to mount it. For instance (not sure how Cadillac works) my mom's Jaguar (2007 XK) won't let you enter a destination while you are moving.. you have to pull over and stop to enter a destination or change any settings at all..

prospyder
05-19-09, 08:35 AM
My STS does not have nav, so I bought a Garmin nuvi 760, but don't like the suction cup mount: it's hard to reach and looks bogus with the wire hanging down. I posted questions about it in another thread.
A good solution for me is this mount Amazon.com: Arkon GN033 Cup Holder Mount for Garmin NuVi: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DJXNS8/ref=ox_ya_oh_product)
By using the cup holder mount and relying on voice directions, I can use the Garmin effectively. My model nuvi -- a 760 -- has great voice directions, so it's not necessary to look away from the road and see the screen. The touch screen is easily reached since the unit is now just in front of the console arm rest very close to my hand. The power/antenna wire is pretty much out of sight since I plug it into the power outlet in the back of the console. As a side benefit, I can make calls through the nuvi which incorporates an FM transmitter allowing me to hear voice directions and use my bluetooth-equipped cell phone through the car's audio system. Another bonus is that I have loaded over 500 MP3 file onto the nuvi, using an SD Card, and can listen to my music commercial free. The nuvi mutes the MP3 when using the cell phone or when voice directions are being given.
My only negative is that the FM transmitter sometimes fades out if a nearby FM station signal over-powers it. I live in the St. Louis area and there are quite a few FM stations here, so it's difficult finding an FM frequency that's clear for the nuvi to use.
Also, the nuvi power/antenna cord works best when it is strung-out completely to maximize its effectiveness.
The beauty of the Garmin after-market gps is that I can move it from the STS to my other ride whenever I want to use it in the Jeep.

bbshriver
05-19-09, 08:54 AM
Interesting as that's the exact unit I have AND my other vehicle is a Jeep. (also have a Porsche but it is experiencing clutch malfunction syndrome)

I like that option, only concern is I do like being able to see the screen.
Amazon.com: Arkon GN047 Removable Vent Mount for Nuvi & StreetPilot: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GN047-Removable-Mount-StreetPilot/dp/B0015A6YN6/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b) looks promising too, but I'm concerned about mounting something to the vent.. would this cause undue stress?

Regarding the voice through FM, I have used this and have the same frustration, it is difficult to keep strong reception. I was looking at the Crutchfield site and they have some ways to add auxiliary inputs to existing stereos utilizing the antenna input on back of the stereo. Not sure if this would work on the STS but something I was thinking of trying to get a direct feed into the stereo without relying on FM modulation. Then I'd be all set!

My STS does not have nav, so I bought a Garmin nuvi 760, but don't like the suction cup mount: it's hard to reach and looks bogus with the wire hanging down. I posted questions about it in another thread.
A good solution for me is this mount Amazon.com: Arkon GN033 Cup Holder Mount for Garmin NuVi: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DJXNS8/ref=ox_ya_oh_product)
By using the cup holder mount and relying on voice directions, I can use the Garmin effectively. My model nuvi -- a 760 -- has great voice directions, so it's not necessary to look away from the road and see the screen. The touch screen is easily reached since the unit is now just in front of the console arm rest very close to my hand. The power/antenna wire is pretty much out of sight since I plug it into the power outlet in the back of the console. As a side benefit, I can make calls through the nuvi which incorporates an FM transmitter allowing me to hear voice directions and use my bluetooth-equipped cell phone through the car's audio system. Another bonus is that I have loaded over 500 MP3 file onto the nuvi, using an SD Card, and can listen to my music commercial free. The nuvi mutes the MP3 when using the cell phone or when voice directions are being given.
My only negative is that the FM transmitter sometimes fades out if a nearby FM station signal over-powers it. I live in the St. Louis area and there are quite a few FM stations here, so it's difficult finding an FM frequency that's clear for the nuvi to use.
Also, the nuvi power/antenna cord works best when it is strung-out completely to maximize its effectiveness.
The beauty of the Garmin after-market gps is that I can move it from the STS to my other ride whenever I want to use it in the Jeep.

Lifer
05-19-09, 11:51 AM
The portable GPS units are hot, like CB radios used to be, so be careful. A suction cup mount leaves tell-tale rings on the glass. A mount on the dash will also be a sign. A sign? Yes, this cars has a portable GPS, maybe under the seat, or in the glove box. Smash window, and search. (You put it in your pocket and moved it to the office, or in the house - HAH! Still a break in.) Just a warning. People with larceny in their hearts, kids with too much time on their hands, druggies - you do not want to attract unnecessary attention for a portable GPS unit in an unattended vehicle. :shhh:

bbshriver
05-19-09, 11:56 AM
While I don't dispute this claim, the one time I had a break-in about 4 years ago in my jeep...
put a hole in my door to unlock, grabbed stereo head unit and just pulled it out, didn't bother disconnecting wiring harness or anything (soldering new one in was interesting), broke dash etc. All in all about a $1200 insurance claim.

Value of stolen Pioneer head unit=$150
$1000 Garmin GPS (at the time), untouched sitting on center console mount.

Police coment was "it didn't play CD's so they didn't know what to do with it".

I was always kind of amused.

The portable GPS units are hot, like CB radios used to be, so be careful. A suction cup mount leaves tell-tale rings on the glass. A mount on the dash will also be a sign. A sign? Yes, this cars has a portable GPS, maybe under the seat, or in the glove box. Smash window, and search. (You put it in your pocket and moved it to the office, or in the house - HAH! Still a break in.) Just a warning. People with larceny in their hearts, kids with too much time on their hands, druggies - you do not want to attract unnecessary attention for a portable GPS unit in an unattended vehicle. :shhh:

prospyder
05-19-09, 12:09 PM
Interesting coincidence: in addition to my '07 STS, I own an '05 Jeep and two Porsche replicars. One is a Thunder Ranch 550 Spyder and the other is a Beck 356 Speedster. Both are silver with red interiors. The STS is silver, too, but hte Jeep is red. Time to sell the replicars, though.
The cup holder mount does permit you to see the screen OK; it's just not right in your line of sight like the suction cup mount is. I've had no problem glancing down at the scrfeen at the appropriate time.
I recommend that anyone who has an aftermarket gps, or other devices, remove all traces when parking the car in public places. The cup holder mount is fairly easy to remove by turning a thumb wheel at the base that closes the "jaws" that hold the mount in the cup holder. BTW, I use the cup holder closest to the driver's seat.

bbshriver
05-19-09, 12:13 PM
Must be something about the STS. My jeep is a 96 Cherokee, and '73 911 Targa. 550 Spyder would be fun!

I ordered the a/c vent mount will give that a try, if I don't like it cupholder will probably be my next try.