: V Would not start

mgscustomtune
05-18-09, 02:42 PM
Went to local store came out dumped the clutch went to start nothing dead. Tried a few more times same thing would do nothing. I had a couple people give me a push dumped the clutch in second gear and it fired up. It must be the starter gone as the battery has plenty of juice?

lollygagger8
05-18-09, 02:52 PM
Starter on relay possibly

heavymetals
05-18-09, 02:54 PM
Could be a bad switch on the clutch or a bad keyswitch.

hXc95SLS
05-18-09, 03:13 PM
I had the same problem last week. Mine was a bad starter. Pop started it like you did and brought it to Cadillac. WARRENTY Win

mgscustomtune
05-18-09, 05:01 PM
Bad keyswitch? I can hear the relay and l do not think it would bump start if it was the switch in the clutch? I am taking out the starter tonight to have it tested dam cat has to off first.

heavymetals
05-18-09, 05:06 PM
Just connect a light or a meter to the starter feed and see if you get power there when the key is turned (clutch depressed of course).
that way you don't have to disconnect anything to see where the problem is.

MIKEC
05-18-09, 05:36 PM
My v did the same thing 2 wks ago came out of the store push the clutch in turned the key and nothing.radio and all electrics worked fine .had it towed to lindsay who later informed me the starter was gone cost was 380.oo for the starter and wouldn't you know it while changing the starter both motor mounts were found to be broken total for every thing was 1535.00.now i have to take it back its been idling rough since i picked it up i have no idea what is causing it.

mgscustomtune
05-19-09, 11:47 PM
Ok l put in the new starter even changed the relay in the underhood fuse box. Went to start the car nothing same thing have full power but will not even turn over. This has me baffled as the car will bump start and runs fine. I even eliminated the vats. Help plaese l am getting frustrated.

NormV
05-20-09, 07:42 AM
Do the interior electronics turn off when the key is turned to the on position?

You might be able to determine if it's the clutch switch by using the cruise control the next time you get it running.

Norm

wait4me
05-20-09, 09:27 AM
I can bypass the clutch to start in the ecm if you want to try that. It would save you having to buy a clutch switch assembly.

JimmyH
05-20-09, 11:05 AM
Did you disconnect the battery at all while you were fixing things? I know when my V sits for a while, and if the battery goes dead, it won't start unless you turn the key to on, and wait 3 minutes. After that, it starts right away.

bolide
05-20-09, 07:57 PM
Mine was always a bit hard to start. You had to push the clutch down hard before it would turn over. In the last few days I was practically putting my foot throught the firewall to get the starter engaged.
The safety switch slides on the clutch rod and does double duty, it releases the cruise as soon as you start pushing in the pedal and at the bottom of the travel it inputs to the ECM to engage the starter. I put a 1/8 thick rubber washer between the base of the switch and the body of the master. Now the starter engages while the pedal is still about 1/2" off the floor and the cruise works just fine.

AlmostAV
06-14-09, 09:52 AM
you ever figure it out....

lilgCTS-V
06-14-09, 01:43 PM
did you hear any clicking noises when you turned the key cause my starter just went and it would make 1 click... the starter went bad

ewill3rd
06-15-09, 08:08 AM
The clutch switch is an issue on these cars, everything will work fine, no theft light but the car just won't crank.
The real problem is that sometimes even a new switch won't fix it.
To test it, get a little washer or something and get up under the dash, slide the clutch switch up the shaft towards the driver seat and stick something behind the switch to hold it up if only a fraction, then try to start the car, if it starts you just need to build a "shim".

I have had to do this a few times, I can't recall what I use but it doesn't take much. You just need to drill a small hole in the center of a piece of plastic the size of the shaft, then slit it on one side, hold the switch up and slide the spacer over the shaft and let the switch fall down on top of it.
The spacer will hold the switch in the correct position.

I haven't done battle with one of these long enough to determine the real cause. I think it could be an issue with the clutch master cylinder but you wouldn't believe what you have to do to change that!