: BMR Trailing Arms Install

lollygagger8
05-18-09, 10:34 AM
So I finally got around to putting my BMR trailing arms since it's finally nice out.

Tools you'll need:

21mm socket (trailing arm bolts and rear cradle bolts)
21mm gear wrench
24mm socket (front cradle bolts)
Long Pry Bar
Breaker (or Break Over) Bar
Beer

Install was pretty straight forward, even though BMR instructions are kinda lame. http://bmrfabrication.com/INSTALL/TCA018.pdf
They say remove the front trailing arm bolt first. Well, there's not enough room to get the bolt out until you lower the cradle far enough to get it out.

To get the front trailing arm out, I had to take the front two cradle bolts completely out. I took the rear ones out so I could grease up my BMR bushings (for good measure) but you could probably get by with just loosening them to the point where they are barely screwed in.

I had to use the pry bar to get the front part of the cradle down the rest of the way to get the bolt out as well.

No pics of the process, as it's just two bolts, and the BMR pic shows pretty much all of it.

Here's the driver's side installed....cradle still not bolted back up....ya I know...dirrrrrty :nono:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/n2havnfun2/trailingarms1.jpg

BMR's on top, stockers on bottom.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/n2havnfun2/trailingarms2.jpg

Ok, for the results:
As you can see, they look the same diamter as the stockers, so I didn't expect much.
Well..........I took it easy at first around corners just to see any difference, and didn't notice much. Hard cornering I noticed the rear is much more planted. It pulled a .90 on the G meter, which I haven't done driving around town in a long time.
I figured they would make alot more noise, but I didn't notice any. I didn't have the balls to clutch dump, I'll let you do that when you install yours....but spirited take-offs hook much better.

FTW:
My "clunk" seems to be reduced by about 60%!!!!!! :shocked: Wooooooo!!!
If they didn't even help performance wise (which they do), I would've bought em just for that!

I'm very pleased! :2thumbs:

Side Note: I probably should've tried the DIY washer trick while I had it all apart but I didn't have the washers. I'm still pleased, but it would be a good time to do both since it's all apart.

mpunklil
05-18-09, 11:03 AM
did you have to shim your "heims"? mine were a bit on the short side, so i shimmed them close to 1/8" on the underside of the front mount

lollygagger8
05-18-09, 11:22 AM
did you have to shim your "heims"? mine were a bit on the short side, so i shimmed them close to 1/8" on the underside of the front mount

No sir, plug and play.

I even bought the washers beforehand just in case, but didn't need em.

heavymetals
05-18-09, 01:15 PM
I had to stack a couple of fender washers to get mine to fit right and torque correctly without bending something.

DisposableHero
05-18-09, 02:34 PM
those look pretty much identical to stock

lollygagger8
05-18-09, 02:41 PM
those look pretty much identical to stock

That's what I thought as well when I got em. But I was sold after the install.

Do it.......do it

mpunklil
05-18-09, 03:14 PM
look and fit are two diff things :p

gfourth
05-18-09, 04:38 PM
Looks good, but where are your jackstands...? :cookoo:

I dont have enough trust in the $.03 seals to climb under a car like that.

lollygagger8
05-18-09, 04:52 PM
Looks good, but where are your jackstands...? :cookoo:

I dont have enough trust in the $.03 seals to climb under a car like that.

Jackstands are under there, come on now. They are left of the picture.
The jack is holding up the cradle (since there's no bolts in it)

ctsv154
05-18-09, 04:52 PM
Just a modified stocker with hiem joints would probably make a noticeable difference.

lollygagger8
05-18-09, 05:01 PM
Just a modified stocker with hiem joints would probably make a noticeable difference.

Agreed! Since that's pretty much all BMR did

gfourth
05-18-09, 05:16 PM
Jackstands are under there, come on now. They are left of the picture.
The jack is holding up the cradle (since there's no bolts in it)

Ahh 10-4 lolly. Just lookin out!

lollygagger8
05-18-09, 05:23 PM
The block of wood is pretty ghetto I know, but I ain't cinder block ghetto :lol:

mpunklil
05-18-09, 11:38 PM
i just saw the pics finally. my bmr arms were different. thats why i had to shim em. ill try to get some pics. basically it didnt have those washer/shim looking things on the front mount like you have

lollygagger8
05-19-09, 09:57 AM
i just saw the pics finally. my bmr arms were different. thats why i had to shim em. ill try to get some pics. basically it didnt have those washer/shim looking things on the front mount like you have

Ya the pic on their site looks different than mine. Like they integrated the washer into the design on the later models or something?
http://bmrfabrication.com/CTS-Vpage.htm

mpunklil
05-20-09, 09:22 AM
maybe, mine look like the ones from the site, which is probably why i had to shim them

jerrycecco
07-11-09, 05:12 PM
Agreed! Since that's pretty much all BMR did

-------------
has anyone tried this yet?
replace the stock arm joints with hiem joints only.
Simple?
cost?

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

jerrycecco
01-02-10, 07:17 PM
bump