: Going to the record store. Suggestions?

Jesda
05-17-09, 05:04 PM
Written down so far (no I dont carry a PDA):

Eddie Money
Nicolette Larson
The Neville Brothers
John Coltrane
Wynton Marsalis
George Strait
Cyndi Lauper
Erasure

Already picked up Tears for Fears, Supertramp, U2, and Steve Winwood. Yeah, mostly looking for 70s/80s pop and a little jazz.

Submariner409
05-17-09, 05:27 PM
Either CD or LP.....

Grover Washington (Winelight)
Jim Hall (electric acoustic guitar, album Concierto, last cut
Dire Straits (Brothers in Arms)(On Every Street)
Alan Jackson (Who I Am)
George Shearing (anything, Black Satin, White Satin mood jazz)
Bob Marley (Natty Dread)
America (History)
Frank Sinatra (September Of My years)
Fleetwood Mac (Rumours)
Mannheim Steamroller (Fresh Aire I, II, III, IV)
Dave Brubeck (Time Out)
Stanley Clarke (If Only This Bass Could Talk)
Cal Tjader (Breeze From The East, Several Shades Of Jade)
Willie Nelson (Stardust)
Barbra Streisand (Memory)

.......this can go on forever.......Good hunting.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-17-09, 05:44 PM
Styx

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-17-09, 08:51 PM
Rolling Stones- Exile On Main Street or Sticky Fingers.

Submariner409
05-17-09, 09:04 PM
..............Yeah, STYX.
REO Speedwagon
AC/DC
Police
Traveling Wilburys I (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty,
............................Bob Dylan)
UB 40 (Rat In The Kitchen)
Alan Parsons (Turn Of A Friendly Card, Eye In The Sky, Eve)
Andreas Vollenweider (weird, weird electronic harp synthetics......)
K.T. Oslin (Love In A Small Town)
Classical ? (Expose yourself to art........:rolleyes:)
Jefferson Airplane/Starship

Jesda
05-17-09, 10:25 PM
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DCP_3949.JPG
I'm back!

Brand new:
Melody Gardot
http://www.xpn.org/images/artists2/atw/atwmelodygardot.jpg
John Coltrane

Used:
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds <-- Been trying to find this for over a month!
Hank Crawford
Foreigner
Foreigner
Eddie Money
Eddie Money
Patsy Cline
Alan Parsons Project
Mike and the the Mechanics
Bobby Caldwell
Kansas
Bernadette Peters
Christopher Cross

I swore I picked up Sade, but I checked the receipt and I wasn't charged for it. I must have put it down somewhere while I was flipping through a stack.

77CDV
05-17-09, 10:28 PM
Patsy Cline?!? There's someone else on this earth who likes Patsy Cline (or even remembers who she was)?!?

And no Billy Squier?

Aron9000
05-18-09, 02:08 AM
For non-metal selections:

Huey Lewis and the News-Small World
Bob Segar- Night Moves, Stranger In This Town, Against the Wind
Bruce Springsteen- Born To Run, The River
Pink Floyd- The Wall, Wish You Were Here,

gdwriter
05-18-09, 02:20 AM
K.T. Oslin (Love In A Small Town)
Jefferson Airplane/StarshipK.T. Oslin is a hoot. I have Love in a Small Town as well as her greatest hits and Live Close By, Visit Often. I love the early Jefferson Airplane; White Rabbit reminds me of Ravel's Bolero.

Patsy Cline?!? There's someone else on this earth who likes Patsy Cline (or even remembers who she was)?!?I adore Patsy Cline. Nobody does sad songs like her. What a voice; there's a story in every song she sings. Had she not died just as her career was in high gear, I'd imagine she'd still be recording today, just like Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton.

Jesda
05-18-09, 05:55 AM
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_piracy-taping.jpg

Found this gem tucked inside a Christopher Cross album. Stupid record industry.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-18-09, 08:09 AM
Jesda, according to Rolling Stone, Pet Sounds is the 2nd greatest album of all time.

Submariner409
05-18-09, 08:51 AM
Clean that Alan Parsons "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination" well and played on a system with good imaging it will blow your mind. Be ready for some strange Edgar Allen Poe interpretation.

There are about a dozen mixes on the street, some German and Japanese vinyl versions blow the original Arista stamping away. The spoken introduction and Poe poem, done by Orson Welles, at the start of each side will give you goosebumps.

Florian
05-18-09, 11:26 AM
buy a record.

F

Destroyer
05-18-09, 11:49 AM
I grew up with LP's. I had thousands. Still, I have never been tempted to go back to them. What the hell is wrong with CD's or Mp3's? :hide:

Submariner409
05-18-09, 12:24 PM
CD's and such are background "convenience Muzak". LP's are for dedicated listening and embrace the soul of the music. :stirpot:

77CDV
05-18-09, 01:10 PM
CD's and such are background "convenience Muzak". LP's are for dedicated listening and embrace the soul of the music. :stirpot:

...the soul of the music*skip*the soul of the music*skip*the soul of the music*skip*........

RightTurn
05-18-09, 01:20 PM
Warren Zevon
Tom Petty
The soundtrack from "The Commitments"

Submariner409
05-18-09, 02:39 PM
*skip*......... Only if you don't take care of the LP. You rapidly learn how to cherry pick the offerings at record stores. I can safely say that, out of just under 2,300 LP's in my collection, none has a skip. Yes, some have pressing ticks and pops - nature of the beast. (Sort of like driving a Cadillac: you learn to listen around the warts.........) A good vacuum wet-record cleaning machine like Nitty Gritty or VPI will reduce the noise floor on a good LP to practically zero.

Jesda
05-18-09, 03:15 PM

Depends.

Most modern CDs are overboosted and sound very artificial. A lot of older CDs sound incredible. LPs except for those during the oil embargo, abused copies, and cheap stampings generally sound superior.

You can tell when you've been listening for a few hours, your ears get fatigued, and you want to turn it off. But I can listen to clean LPs all day.

None of my records skip, even the 99-cent bargain bin purchases. The pops are alleviated by washing with soap and water and a paintbrush, or using the glue trick to lift dirt from the grooves.

Its easy to forget how pleasant vinyl sounds until you go back and hear it again. I also use a high-quality Grado cartridge that sounds superior to most CD digital-analog converters. You'd need a pretty expensive CD player to duplicate the quality and accuracy of my very affordable setup.

Submariner409
05-18-09, 05:00 PM
If you do any headphone listening, try a pair of Grado SR-60's. They're about the second or third least expensive in the Grado line (some go for $900 a set) at $70, but they're accurate, very sensitive, lightweight, and great for extended listening.

Maybe www.musicdirect.com or www.needledoctor.com

CIWS
05-18-09, 05:18 PM
A seller on Amazon for 59.00

Amazon.com: Grado SR-60 Padded Headphones: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Grado-60-SR-60-Padded-Headphones/dp/B0006DPMU4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2J4KINLGNK1CG&s=generic&qid=1242681129&sr=1-2)

Jesda
05-18-09, 05:27 PM
I gave my SR-80s to a friend as a gift. He freaking lost them. $100 gone to waste.