: Who makes 14 or 15 inch wheels for the STS?

jimmbo
05-17-09, 05:08 PM
With the 50/45 series tires my 08 STS feels like it has either wooden or solid rubber tires, you feel every crack in the pavement. No flex in the sidewalls I guess. In order to improve the ride I was hoping someone made 14 or 15 inch wheels that would fit. This would allow a more reasonable 70/75 series tire to be used.

Dadollac1
05-17-09, 07:29 PM
For the 05 and up.......NO ONE.

c5 rv
05-17-09, 08:02 PM
I don't think you can run any wheels smaller than 17" and still clear the brake calipers.

K STS
05-17-09, 09:54 PM
i think id die if i saw an STS on 14 inch wheels.

Dadollac1
05-18-09, 12:23 AM
stop it you're crack'n me up.:histeric:

z06bigbird
05-18-09, 01:30 AM
I vote for 12 inchers. Somebody had them on mini-cars about 35 years ago.

K STS
05-18-09, 02:03 AM
howd i know a guy with the user ID Jimbo would ask a question like this

jimmbo
05-18-09, 02:47 AM
You might be right about the calipers. I wonder if a 16 inch steel wheel would clear them. Even a 16 in wheel would ride better than the 17. My 86 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 DeVille, and 91 Fleetwood, all rode like Cadillacs should, nice and soft. The STS rides like an old horse drawn caridge, harsh. Even my 94 and 95 Buick Roadmonsters rode nicer.

Aron9000
05-18-09, 03:09 AM
Does the STS have runflat tires? Those things ride like an ox-cart.

C&C
05-18-09, 06:51 AM
There is barely any space between the caliper and the wheel with the 17's so I wouldn't bank on a 16 fitting. If you currently have 18's then you could go to a 17 that should help some. And if you change to a lesser rated tire (say, go from a "Z" rated to a "V" rated, that should yield slight improvements as generally the higher speed rated tires have stiffer sidewalls).

bbshriver
05-18-09, 08:29 AM
I know my car with the 17" seems to have quite a lot of extra room in the fenders.. seems like some taller tires could fit in the opening.

I'm a little confused as to why you would buy a car you think rides like an "ox cart"? True it's not quite like floating on a cloud of air, but I find my STS to be quite comfortable (then again my daily driver before was a lifted Jeep cherokee..)

c5 rv
05-18-09, 10:02 AM
Also, check to see that your air pressure is at the recommended level. Use a gage, rather than the TPMS, when the tires are cold. Over-inflated tires ride hard.

bbshriver
05-18-09, 10:38 AM
Ditto on tire pressure. I have mine around 33.

WillySTS
05-18-09, 01:11 PM
I'm a little confused as to why you would buy a car you think rides like an "ox cart"? True it's not quite like floating on a cloud of air, but I find my STS to be quite comfortable

Me, too...why did you buy the danged thing.:crying2:

Anyway, the bolt pattern is the same from previous year Seville/Eldorado, even the '86-'91 year which have 15" wheels but I would doubt if they'd fit over the brakes. But personally, I think you are barking up the wrong tree, here. You CLEARLY bought the wrong car. There is nothing wrong with the ride for an STS...a PERFOMANCE SEDAN. :annoyed:

ifmracin
05-18-09, 01:16 PM
The STS is a more performance ride.
If you have MRC make sure you are set to Touring mode.

DTS_BOI
05-18-09, 01:16 PM
An STS is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like a fleetwood Brogugham. You purchased the WRONG car friend. You should have purchased a DTS. Have you ever driven a DTS? I recently sold mine and purchased an STS. My DTS rode like a traditional Caddy. Very soft and plush. My STS is a totally different car. Pure Sports, and I love it.

You DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE TO A SMALLER TIRE. Simply change your tires to a plush 17 inch tire. Vogue Tires are extremely plush. If vogues are too expensive, simply ask your nearest tire dealer for a very soft 17 inch tire, rated for highway cruising. Any REPUTABLE shop can help you out. Keep in mind, if you get a softer tire it will indeed SQUEAL whenever you turn sharply and drive aggressively, as they are not intended for sprots usage. I assume however, that you are looking for less sports anyways...

- Ask any reputable shop for a really soft highway tire for your Caddy...
- Truly consider a DTS as your next car. Test drive one and you willl love it.

bbshriver
05-18-09, 01:33 PM
My non MRC STS rides nicer (i.e. softer) than my grandma's 2002ish SLS, and something comparable to my dad's Bentley Arnage.
Can't speak to the Fleetwood. Potentially you have some sort of mechanical problem, old/dried out tires, over-pressure tires,

caddycraig80
05-18-09, 02:27 PM
The STS is a performance luxury sports car, if you wanted a smoother ride you should have purchased a DTS

bbshriver
05-18-09, 02:29 PM
Since tires are one of the biggest factors in ride, this has got me thinking now..
Anyone know what the largest tire size is that will fit a 05 STS with 17" wheels? I want to get something a little taller next time around for the comfort/noise thing as well as just cosmetics (large gap between fender and tire)

Aron9000
05-18-09, 03:39 PM
Since tires are one of the biggest factors in ride, this has got me thinking now..
Anyone know what the largest tire size is that will fit a 05 STS with 17" wheels? I want to get something a little taller next time around for the comfort/noise thing as well as just cosmetics (large gap between fender and tire)

getting a taller tire will throw off your speedo and odometer.

bbshriver
05-18-09, 03:48 PM
getting a taller tire will throw off your speedo and odometer.

I'm aware of that.. still wondering what size will physically fit without causing problems.

jimmbo
05-18-09, 06:30 PM
I was looking at the DTS. But I was leery of the Northstar engine. Don't get me wrong I love Cadillacs, but haven't thought very highly of their engines since 1980. BTW the tires on the DTS aren't much different 235/55-17 for starters. Drove one, the ride was a wee bit softer but still harsh for Cadillac. Perhaps it is the wrong car for me:banghead:. Too bad they don't make them like they used too:crying2:.

K STS
05-18-09, 06:42 PM
maybe you should have got a pillowmobile with cotton wheels

jimmbo
05-18-09, 07:13 PM
maybe you should have got a pillowmobile with cotton wheels

Well it would be a lot smoother

K STS
05-18-09, 08:21 PM
Im surprised you find the ride of the STS too hard. Dont get me wrong, I had a 2000 deville, and yes, it felt like air floating over bumps. But after coming from several other cars - a Land rover, a Mustang Cobra, a Porsche Boxster, a BMW Z3, a CTS, A 300C, I can say the STS feels MUCH better than these.

DTS_BOI
05-21-09, 02:46 PM
Wait.......

Did somebody just say that a DTS was NOT SOFT ENOUGH???

Wait... Seriously. I think I just heard someone say that. Ummmmmm. Im kinda confused here... The only thing softer than a DTS ride is baby Jesus's bottom. And even then, it would be a very close call.

Perhaps you may wish to try purchasing a nice fancy Toyota...... OoOoOops, I mean Lexus.

bbshriver
05-21-09, 03:13 PM
I never thought of Lexae as riding particularly soft... of course the only one I've ever ridden in was a mid 90's ES300, I just thought it was a camry with leather seats. Never got the appeal.

My 05 STS rides as softly as anything I think I've ever ridden in. I've had Devilles (the pre DTS variety) as rental cars and they were OK, though I don't remember it being any better than my STS.. Merc Grand Marquis which again I don't think was any better ("softer") than the STS.
Maybe a Town Car?? I haven't ridden in one of the recent ones.. drove a 89 TC and hated it, though that could have had more to do with 140HP, 5000 lbs and a 3 speed auto.

BaTu
05-21-09, 07:16 PM
How 'bout those 70s Chrysler Imperial/LeBarons ;)

That's what ya want to find!

Floatin along,,,,, Leanin in the corners,,,,, Tires squeelin,,,,, 6' X 6' hood :)

jimmbo
05-21-09, 07:33 PM
How 'bout those 70s Chrysler Imperial/LeBarons ;)

That's what ya want to find!

Floatin along,,,,, Leanin in the corners,,,,, Tires squeelin,,,,, 6' X 6' hood :)

I suddenly have an urge for a Cordoba, with "soft Corinthian leather". :histeric:

jimmbo
05-21-09, 07:49 PM
Wait.......

Did somebody just say that a DTS was NOT SOFT ENOUGH???

Wait... Seriously. I think I just heard someone say that. Ummmmmm. Im kinda confused here... The only thing softer than a DTS ride is baby Jesus's bottom. And even then, it would be a very close call.

Perhaps you may wish to try purchasing a nice fancy Toyota...... OoOoOops, I mean Lexus.

I bought an 09 'fancy" Toyota last fall, sold it after 2 weeks, didn't like the seats, couldn't lower the front of the cushion enough.

Superjim
05-23-09, 07:55 AM
I was looking at the DTS. But I was leery of the Northstar engine. Don't get me wrong I love Cadillacs, but haven't thought very highly of their engines since 1980. BTW the tires on the DTS aren't much different 235/55-17 for starters. Drove one, the ride was a wee bit softer but still harsh for Cadillac. Perhaps it is the wrong car for me:banghead:. Too bad they don't make them like they used too:crying2:.

Well, guess you wouldn't like MY DTS Performance Sedan for sure. :cool2:
245x50x18 tires with Magnetic Ride Control.

And...No, it does not ride like my old Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance. :duck:

I really like it...it runs a lot better...has a TON more power...gets better gas mileage and is actually a lot more FUN to drive than the older soft riding cars.

I do, OCCASIONALLY, wish it rode a little softer, but most of the time I am VERY happy with it.

I have 60,000 on it and have had absolutely ZERO problems with the Northstar engine.

Oh....It is also fun to destroy ricers on occasion. :cool2:

Texas Jim

amgqmp1
05-23-09, 12:24 PM
Not to take this too far off-topic, but, the DTS is the current topic of conversation...

...which is why I'll jump in and say, "WTF Cadillac?!". Why do they still use a 4-speed tranny? The performance specs. are identical to a 1st gen. Northstar engine out of an SLS...is that what they're still using? (If yes, did they ever solve the head gasket problem?)

Also, to the original poster...consider purchasing a set of Goodyear Comfortred tires. Another thread came up on this forum that reminded me of my experience with those tires on a Benz I owned a couple years ago. If you really want the softest ride that you can get out of your STS, then they're worth taking a look at. They really do an amazing job of taking road feel out of the driving experience (for good or bad, in your case it sounds like that would be preferred).

Superjim
05-23-09, 12:41 PM
Not to take this too far off-topic, but, the DTS is the current topic of conversation...

...which is why I'll jump in and say, "WTF Cadillac?!". Why do they still use a 4-speed tranny? The performance specs. are identical to a 1st gen. Northstar engine out of an SLS...is that what they're still using? (If yes, did they ever solve the head gasket problem?)

From numerous articles I have read...the DTS (as we know it now) will be going away in a couple more years.

The DTS will then be built on the Epsllon ll chassis along with the Buick Lacrosse.

If true, that would explain why no money has been put into upgrading them in the last several years.

As for the NorthStar engine...the head bolts were given a major re-design in 2000 and pretty much eliminated the headgasket problem.

There are two version of the NorthStar...275 HP and 292 HP.
The 275 is in the all of the regular DTS along with a 3.23 final drive ratio.
The 292 is only in the Performance Sedan along with a 3.73 final drive ratio.

Starting in 2006, the DTS uses a different ECM and TCM than 2005 and older.
You can now get custom tunes for the DTS engine and transmission.

It helps a LOT, if you like to drive a little more SPIRITEDLY than the typical DTS driver. :cool2: :cool2:

I had mine professionally tuned (engine and trans) about 6 months ago.
Love the results.

Texas Jim

K STS
05-23-09, 02:34 PM
So you can get custom tunes for 2006+ DTS, but not 2006+ STS?

Superjim
05-23-09, 02:53 PM
So you can get custom tunes for 2006+ DTS, but not 2006+ STS?

I now have the complete EFI Live Suite of software so that I can play with mine and tweak it a little.

Per EFI LIves website...looks like the STS V8 is supported but not the V6.

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=82

Texas Jim

K STS
05-23-09, 07:17 PM
Wow. That is a great find. I have a STS V8. What kind of gains (if any,) did you pick up in your tune?

K STS
05-23-09, 07:18 PM
lo, $2500. Epic.

Superjim
05-23-09, 07:47 PM
Wow. That is a great find. I have a STS V8. What kind of gains (if any,) did you pick up in your tune?

Based on acceleration tests with a G-Tech Pro and by increased airflow thru the intake, as measured with the EFL Live software, about 25 to 30 HP.

But the BEST THING about it...it is a lot more responsive (and fun) to drive. :cool2:
The transmission is tuned also. Different upshift points, raised DOWNSHIFT points, Torque Management mostly removed, line pressure increased for firmer/quicker shifts..etc etc.

Plus, as an added benefit, I get a little bit better mileage now, as long as I keep my foot out of it. But that is sometimes hard to do. :) :)

c5 rv
05-23-09, 09:05 PM
Superjim continues his quest to build the DTS-V...

V-Eight
05-23-09, 09:14 PM
Holy crap, that tune is $2500?!

Superjim
05-24-09, 12:01 AM
Y'all are looking at it wrong. :histeric: :histeric:
The software suite and tuning module is only $799...not $2,500.
(and I split the cost with my son...he uses it for his 6.2L Sierra Denali.)

Here is the link to it.
I have the FlashScan V2 Scan and Tune :cloud9:

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57

Texas Jim

Superjim
05-24-09, 12:03 AM

If I could just find some 4.10 or 4.56 gears and a PosiTrac front wheel drive unit. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Texas Jim

V-Eight
05-24-09, 12:06 AM
That would be...........insane! LOL Itd be funny to see a FWD roasting the tires that well.

V-Eight
05-24-09, 02:05 AM

...which is why I'll jump in and say, "WTF Cadillac?!". Why do they still use a 4-speed tranny?

Well they ****ed up the 6-speed pretty bad on the GMT900s, so maybe they decided to stick to with a 4speed longer? Although I do agree an update is long overdue.

K STS
05-24-09, 03:44 AM
Y'all are looking at it wrong. :histeric: :histeric:
The software suite and tuning module is only $799...not $2,500.
(and I split the cost with my son...he uses it for his 6.2L Sierra Denali.)

Here is the link to it.
I have the FlashScan V2 Scan and Tune :cloud9:

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57

Texas Jim

Would you mind going through the process of ordering and using one? Also, how noticeable were the gains? I'd be REALLY intrested in this for the STS. $800 for 30hp is a STEAL.

Superjim
05-24-09, 08:12 AM
Would you mind going through the process of ordering and using one? Also, how noticeable were the gains? I'd be REALLY intrested in this for the STS. $800 for 30hp is a STEAL.

You may want to look here for "MAYBE" a slightly cheaper price than the efi live website.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showforum=141

Look at the topic...GROUP BUY. Thats where I got mine and Justin is the guy that personally tuned my DTS.

I went ahead and bought the tuning stuff, because I am the type that just can't let well enough alone. :) :) :)
I like to tinker with stuff and see what I can get out of it before it breaks. :) :)
If there are at least 10 people in one area...he will come to your area and personally tune your car.

Look at some of the other threads about upcoming tunes and see if one of them is in your area or within driving distance.

I think it is only about $250 to get an IN PERSON tune from him or about 300 to get a CABLE LOGGED tune. He sends you the equipment...you plug it in to your car and drive it. The equipment logs the parameters of your engine and transmission. You send the stuff back to him and he writes the custom tune for YOUR car.

For an IN PERSON TUNE...He hooks up his laptop to the OBD port and you drive the car. He adjusts things...in real time...as you drive. Timing...shift points..torque management...rev limiter...speed limiter...and a ton of other stuff.

And to answer your actual question..."YES"...It is very noticeable when driving it.

I am supposed to meet my son later today and we are going to the local 1/8 mile track to see how his GMC Denali runs.

Texas Jim

c5 rv
05-24-09, 08:40 AM
If I could just find some 4.10 or 4.56 gears and a PosiTrac front wheel drive unit. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Texas Jim

At least the DTS trunk is big enough for a pair of drag slicks and a jack for when you go to the track.

Superjim
05-24-09, 09:32 AM

...POWER...I NEED MORE POWER... :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

c5 rv
05-24-09, 09:54 AM
...POWER...I NEED MORE POWER... :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

Just avoid the temptation of the quick fix...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/170073-epic-fail.html

Superjim
05-24-09, 10:14 AM
Just avoid the temptation of the quick fix...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/170073-epic-fail.html

yeah...I could hardly believe it at first...but I am in IT for a major bank, and you wouldn't believe some of the REALLY STUPID, things I see. :) :)

it shouldn't ...as long as I have been around...but peoples stupidity STILL amazes me and makes me laugh. :) :) :)

Jim

V-Eight
05-24-09, 01:30 PM
You may want to look here for "MAYBE" a slightly cheaper price than the efi live website.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showforum=141

Look at the topic...GROUP BUY. Thats where I got mine and Justin is the guy that personally tuned my DTS.

I went ahead and bought the tuning stuff, because I am the type that just can't let well enough alone. :) :) :)
I like to tinker with stuff and see what I can get out of it before it breaks. :) :)
If there are at least 10 people in one area...he will come to your area and personally tune your car.

Look at some of the other threads about upcoming tunes and see if one of them is in your area or within driving distance.

I think it is only about $250 to get an IN PERSON tune from him or about 300 to get a CABLE LOGGED tune. He sends you the equipment...you plug it in to your car and drive it. The equipment logs the parameters of your engine and transmission. You send the stuff back to him and he writes the custom tune for YOUR car.

For an IN PERSON TUNE...He hooks up his laptop to the OBD port and you drive the car. He adjusts things...in real time...as you drive. Timing...shift points..torque management...rev limiter...speed limiter...and a ton of other stuff.

And to answer your actual question..."YES"...It is very noticeable when driving it.

I am supposed to meet my son later today and we are going to the local 1/8 mile track to see how his GMC Denali runs.

Texas Jim

I assume its a different tuner for a Duramax?

Superjim
05-24-09, 02:16 PM
I assume its a different tuner for a Duramax?

Look at the list of supported vehicles...if you are talking about the 6.6 or the 8.1..looks like it supports that.

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=82

I don't think Justin, (my tuner guy) does diesels.

Texas Jim

V-Eight
05-24-09, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I'd like to own both a 6.6 Duramax and an STS in the future. It'd be a much better investment if I could do 2 vehicles with it.

Superjim
05-24-09, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I'd like to own both a 6.6 Duramax and an STS in the future. It'd be a much better investment if I could do 2 vehicles with it.

from the way I read it...you can do both with the same unit.

Texas Jim

V-Eight
05-24-09, 05:32 PM
Yeah that'd be awesome because a chip for the Duramax is like $500 anyway, so might as well get one for both cars.

K STS
05-24-09, 07:26 PM
This is an amazing find. I'd be interested to see the gains on an STS with a corsa exhaust.

Caroutisine
05-24-09, 08:46 PM
I think my 2009 CTS-V rides better than my 2005 STS did...The snow tires rode nicer than the stock ones on the STS, so tires would help.

horta
05-26-09, 12:27 AM
ok this thread got hi-jacked!!

Well lets get it back on track... I too think my 05 V8 MRC STS rides like an Ox-cart. I have tried everything other thang going to 16" rims (I have the 17"). I came out of a 1998 Lexus LS400 that got totaled. I love that car buthad had 3 Lexus and wanted somthing different. I loved all the bells and whistles of the STS, the size was right and the look was hot. I test drove many V6's and some V8's. I did notice some cars road stiffer than others but just "assumed" it was due to high tire pressures, stiff tires or something. Never in my mind did I think Cadillac would make a care this sporty, my fault but now I am stuck with it. I love the car EXCEPT the rough ride... yes I wish it rode like a buick, old caddy, or my old Lexus, smooth as silk.

Jerry

K STS
05-29-09, 11:42 PM
ok? Then sell it and get a old cadillac dude, or a buick.

EChas3
05-30-09, 02:54 PM
ok this thread got hi-jacked!!

Well lets get it back on track... I too think my 05 V8 MRC STS rides like an Ox-cart. I have tried everything other thang going to 16" rims (I have the 17"). I came out of a 1998 Lexus LS400 that got totaled. I love that car buthad had 3 Lexus and wanted somthing different. I loved all the bells and whistles of the STS, the size was right and the look was hot. I test drove many V6's and some V8's. I did notice some cars road stiffer than others but just "assumed" it was due to high tire pressures, stiff tires or something. Never in my mind did I think Cadillac would make a care this sporty, my fault but now I am stuck with it. I love the car EXCEPT the rough ride... yes I wish it rode like a buick, old caddy, or my old Lexus, smooth as silk.

Jerry

Bottom line - you bought the wrong car. MRC is a sport suspension. Without MRC you could get closer to your desired ride. As it is, smaller wheels, softer tires and lower air pressures will only get you a bit closer and you won't be happy.

On the bright side, there are a lot of people that will like the car you have and won't believe how well it handles!

Good luck!

K STS
05-30-09, 10:41 PM
I'll happy trade for an equal equipped 06 STS 1SG my 06 STS 1SE without MRC. You get the softer ride, I get the MRC and 3.42s.

EChas3
05-31-09, 12:43 AM
I'll happy trade for an equal equipped 06 STS 1SG my 06 STS 1SE without MRC. You get the softer ride, I get the MRC and 3.42s.

:cloud9: Nice try K... You've got a sweet looking ride but I doubt Jimmbo will give up 2 model years and a 1SG package.:duck:

K STS
05-31-09, 03:52 AM
it rides much smoother. isnt that what he wants? and only 30k miles WOW. Ill even throw some cash in.

horta
06-01-09, 02:01 AM

Shoot I'll trade. V8, Nav, Mag Ride, Spoiler, Red w Tan and full wood package. I'll trade for the same without Mag Ride. I may even go for a V6.

Oh 42k and full 7 year 100k Cadillac Warrenty with XM for 7 years too. Perfect Car fax, no accident, dings, or any marks, stains what so ever. Non smoker also...

I love everything about my car except the ride. I test drove a bunch ov V6's and only one maybe two V8's. I never had a clue the ride would be so differnt.

Jerry

jimmbo
06-01-09, 03:39 AM
Right now I just might take him up on it. My kidneys are are hurting after 40 minutes on the highway. This is with the soft ride(FE1) suspension. I feel for the poor bastards who have the stiffer versions.

amgqmp1
06-01-09, 04:55 PM
Right now I just might take him up on it. My kidneys are are hurting after 40 minutes on the highway. This is with the soft ride(FE1) suspension. I feel for the poor bastards who have the stiffer versions.

You would not have liked the Honda S2000 I owned a few years ago... ;)

nguyendot
06-01-09, 10:03 PM
I've got an 06 1SG Infrared....With the MRC it rides like a railcar...except not as well planted. I wouldn't call it 'pure performance' as the rear end comes undone way too easily with most of the weight over the front wheels. Love the performance, but the ride could be much much softer. The 09 CTS did it right with the STS platform....even the 550hp+ CTS-V rides softer than the highest STS with MRC...funny because the CTS-V has MRC too! Or maybe I just didn't notice...when you've got 550hp to play with (dad works at dealer...tee hee hee) you forget things like 'smooth ride'.

Anyways... my car does ride very harshly but it is well planted until the rear comes unstuck. I figure its the sports suspension.