: Mechanic unplugged ac compressor last year I believe...

durrk johnson
05-17-09, 01:53 PM
He said that was a reason something was wrong in my car and said" well you dont have AC anyways so I disconnected it." Im pretty sure that it was the ac compressor.

The reason I bring this up was because I just remembered this, after seeing the ac compressor thread.

Is this why heat builds up fast in my engine and if this is the case... Do I need to have the ac compressor replaced? What does it do?

Where do I look to find out if this is true and if this is a necessary component, why would this retard unplugg it?

DopeStar 156
05-17-09, 01:59 PM
I've never seen a Cadillac built in the last 30 years that didn't have A/C. Why would you have a compressor installed if you didn't have A/C? Unless it's siezed there's no reason to unplug it, the car won't turn it on if the charge is too low to prevent it from burning out......

jayoldschool
05-17-09, 02:00 PM
AC has nothing to do with engine cooling, and is not a needed component.

He unplugged the compressor to prevent it from engaging the clutch. Not really needed, since the clutch will not engage when there is low pressure in the system.

durrk johnson
05-17-09, 03:31 PM
Well, when he said I "didnt have ac" he meant that my AC wasnt working... when indeed it was, it was just the fan relay that I still havent be able to get to last... Ive went through like 3 of them... The fan will blow for like a month and then the relay will get melted on one of the prongs.

So he unplugged it instead of replacing it because he thought my ac didnt work when it was just the fan. These are the same guys that didnt know how to fix my heater fan and then I had to figure out that it was a bad relay and a short somewhere.

I would like to have ac this summer... how would I go about replacing it? IS it difficult?

77CDV
05-17-09, 03:53 PM
I'm confused now. Is the compressor working or no when it's plugged in? Does the system still have a charge? Is the whole problem the blower relay?

drmenard
05-17-09, 06:56 PM
I'm guessing your problem is in the connection at the relay.. so first I would change the plug at the relay and the relay... I got them for a great price at Sherco Auto Supply... I would also put in a new fan motor...just because bad ones can cause problems and still work...then at the compressor, plug the clutch wire back in... then go from there...

durrk johnson
05-17-09, 07:02 PM
"He unplugged the compressor to prevent it from engaging the clutch. Not really needed, since the clutch will not engage when there is low pressure in the system."

This is why he disconnected it... He said it was making the clutch skip or something I believe...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-17-09, 07:03 PM
If he "disconnected" the AC my guess is that he unplugged the connector on the compressor that controls the clutch. That is what I did on my car when the compressor went bad so the AC would not turn on in defrost and trash the system even more. Look for a connection on the compressor that is supposed to have a connector in it.

delzy
05-18-09, 01:49 AM
Well, when he said I "didnt have ac" he meant that my AC wasnt working... when indeed it was, it was just the fan relay that I still havent be able to get to last... Ive went through like 3 of them... The fan will blow for like a month and then the relay will get melted on one of the prongs.

So he unplugged it instead of replacing it because he thought my ac didnt work when it was just the fan. These are the same guys that didnt know how to fix my heater fan and then I had to figure out that it was a bad relay and a short somewhere.

I would like to have ac this summer... how would I go about replacing it? IS it difficult?
You really have to find a much better mechanic or learn to communicate with mechanics better. If your AC works but it burns fan relays, unplugging the compressor will not defog your windows when it rains. What exactly do you think would be the correct course of action?

Hint: It's figuring out why the fan relay burns. Either there is junk in the fan box, the fan is bad, a bad connection at the rlay terminal or the wire to the fan is shorting. Please look for a better mechanic.