: Another tough day at the Autocross

branland
05-17-09, 08:25 AM
Last week I was thoroughly spanked and very disappointed with my driving. I should have been able to take the ISF. This week I was three seconds quicker but still off the pace. Itís been about 10 years since I autocrossed a car and itís definitely showing. There are a lot of tight turns and Iím having trouble getting the car to rotate a low speeds. It tends to want to understeer.

At Qualcomm in San Diego, you typically donít get out of second gear during an SCCA event, although I hit the limiter last week on the short shoot. The BMW and Porsche clubs set up their courses differently and they tend to be less technical and have longer straights. But since Iím not getting out of second gear with the SCCA Iím thinking about sliding my feet over and left foot braking. This will make it easier to trail brake and should help me get the car rotating mid turn. I need to work on cleaning up my line and getting the car closer to the cones. I left over a Ĺ second on the course today over driving the car and more time due to a sloppy line.

All in all it wasnít too bad a day. Iím staring to enjoy driving the car and improving my times. (I did get one of the Vettes today) What it comes down to is practice, practice, practice. I really do not care for theses F1 GS2 tires, but Iím going to work on my driving until the end of the season before I use the tires as an excuse. Iím thinking about going with another set of rims and the A6ís.

Still loving this car.

ccextra1976
05-17-09, 10:02 AM
I'm pretty sure the FAQ section has an front end alignment section to help with understeer...I think they have two different recommended settings..street/race

branland
05-17-09, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty sure the FAQ section has an front end alignment section to help with understeer...I think they have two different recommended settings..street/race

Go it. Thanks.

Going to work on getting my lap times consistently within .1. (Hopefully I can still do that, I could when I was younger) Then start charting the changes.

One thing I noticed is that you really have to keep an eye on the front tire pressures. I had to adjust them after every run.

ccextra1976
05-17-09, 11:21 AM
Go it. Thanks.

Going to work on getting my lap times consistently within .1. (Hopefully I can still do that, I could when I was younger) Then start charting the changes.

One thing I noticed is that you really have to keep an eye on the front tire pressures. I had to adjust them after every run.

what PSI where you running

branland
05-17-09, 11:28 AM
what PSI where you running
38 front - 39 rear

NormV
05-17-09, 10:29 PM
If your still in first gear use the throttle to rotate the car rather than bleen off speed by use the brake.

Norm

branland
05-17-09, 10:55 PM
If your still in first gear use the throttle to rotate the car rather than bleen off speed by use the brake.

Norm

I never really get slow enough to catch 1st gear again. Iím going to take the rest of the year to try a lot of different things.

Bueller
05-17-09, 11:19 PM
On street Nittos I found 41 front and 37 rear worked best. I autocross at a spot that has mostly 2nd gear and some third gear areas.

branland
05-18-09, 09:54 AM
On street Nittos I found 41 front and 37 rear worked best. I autocross at a spot that has mostly 2nd gear and some third gear areas.

With the stock tires and camber I seem to get better bite during turn it with lower pressures up front. As I develop more consistency in my driving, Iíll play around with the pressures to see what works better.

SuperVeee
05-18-09, 11:38 AM
With the stock tires and camber I seem to get better bite during turn it with lower pressures up front. As I develop more consistency in my driving, Iíll play around with the pressures to see what works better.

The A6s would make a big difference (with practice) and you could run the higher pressures of course however I with your tires I would start all 4 at lower pressures. Yes they howl some but street tires do anyway in autocrossing.

If you run too high pressures your tire bubles slightly on the bottom and you loose some of your contact patch which creates more friction which creates more heat and you end up bleeding off pressure from the fronts after each run. Note if you are bleeding off the rears it's more of a "foot problem" from inducing too much friction and therefore heat and psi.

Conclusion - find a pressure that the V is happy with that you don't have to bleed much and you will notice better times.

psycho43142
05-18-09, 02:32 PM
I AX mine a lot and use A6's. I ended up taking camber out of the rear to help the car rotate. I right now my front is -1.8 camber, +5.5 caster and toed out .03, the rear is -1.4 camber toed in .06 and is very neutral in fact might be a little on the loose side. I wouldn't try to open track it with this alignment but for low speed technical AX stuff works pretty well.