: 96 sedan deville audio/digital dash problem

youngmoney89
05-17-09, 01:05 AM
hi i have a 96 sedan deville that had the radio and all the speakers stolen...i want to put a aftermarket headunit in it,would i have to also order/get one from a junk yard a stock cd player/tape player to mount to the trunk?and would i be able to just grab one out of any car as long as its a 96 deville?

heres the digi dash problem
Video_051609_001.3gp.AVI - 1.01MB (http://www.zshare.net/video/60122057424c500b/)

also what would be some good speakers that would fit into the caddy doors/ back etc etc...these will be my first speakers so they dont have to be the best

youngmoney89
05-17-09, 06:06 PM
ok i did some reading and i know what i need, also that i have to mount the oem player to the trunk
but would any player from a 96 deville do? or do i have to get a specific one?

Heide264
05-18-09, 01:33 PM
Check around and wait for confirmation on this... But I don't think the data issue starts until 98. I unplugged mine and drove it around for a while and its a '97 DeVille. Don't have the new hu in it yet though, but didn't get any flags of any sort while the factory hu was out. You might just be able to install everything normally (watching out for the correct power connections). I'd wait for somebody else to confirm that though.

..I'd imagine if you don't have one now and things are working well, you'd be fine without one. Never know with these cars though.

youngmoney89
05-18-09, 01:58 PM
Check around and wait for confirmation on this... But I don't think the data issue starts until 98. I unplugged mine and drove it around for a while and its a '97 DeVille. Don't have the new hu in it yet though, but didn't get any flags of any sort while the factory hu was out. You might just be able to install everything normally (watching out for the correct power connections). I'd wait for somebody else to confirm that though.

..I'd imagine if you don't have one now and things are working well, you'd be fine without one. Never know with these cars though.

i was thinking that the video i posted had to do with the headunit missing.
also i have thses two boxes in the trunk one marks delco and they have a bunch of wires plugged into em i havent really looked at it..maybe the original headunit is already in the trunk but they cut the cords . i dont really know

Heide264
05-18-09, 02:49 PM
Oh wow, sorry, didn't watch that video and had a mind fart. I don't think those are due to the headunit... that seems like a different problem but who knows. I think most of the hu issues were related to alarms and a couple other odds and ends, but never read about it throwing all those.

...It literally looks like it's scrolling through every possible warning. Maybe see if you can pull the codes manually and see if they are actually there? I'd maybe try searching some of the error codes on these forums and seeing if any of them relate to any hu posts.

Was it a bose system or the normal factory one?

youngmoney89
05-18-09, 02:52 PM
Oh wow, sorry, didn't watch that video and had a mind fart. I don't think those are due to the headunit... that seems like a different problem but who knows. I think most of the hu issues were related to alarms and a couple other odds and ends, but never read about it throwing all those.

...It literally looks like it's scrolling through every possible warning. Maybe see if you can pull the codes manually and see if they are actually there? I'd maybe try searching some of the error codes on these forums and seeing if any of them relate to any hu posts.

Was it a bose system or the normal factory one?

how would i pull the codes?
i dunno what kind it was i got the car without the headunit in it...i dunno if i can find out from the stuff in the trunk.

and is there a way to reset the codes?

Heide264
05-18-09, 03:14 PM
Yeah, if you stop at an advanced auto or autozone - I think both will let ya pull the codes for free using their code thingy-ma-bob.

Hmm, well, the wiring is slightly different from what I understand... Bose used the 4 doors, a center channel, and a sub... non bose was front doors and 6x9s. Also, the bose system has amps in weird places (each speaker I think or something), so you can't use the wiring for other speakers and such. You might have to read around a bit and maybe look at pictures of bose wiring vs non bose wiring - not too sure on that end, just tossing out some ideas.

Just a heads up, the speaker mounts themselves are the same for both options... there are mounts for all the speakers despite the option.

youngmoney89
05-18-09, 03:34 PM
Yeah, if you stop at an advanced auto or autozone - I think both will let ya pull the codes for free using their code thingy-ma-bob.

Hmm, well, the wiring is slightly different from what I understand... Bose used the 4 doors, a center channel, and a sub... non bose was front doors and 6x9s. Also, the bose system has amps in weird places (each speaker I think or something), so you can't use the wiring for other speakers and such. You might have to read around a bit and maybe look at pictures of bose wiring vs non bose wiring - not too sure on that end, just tossing out some ideas.

Just a heads up, the speaker mounts themselves are the same for both options... there are mounts for all the speakers despite the option.

i think mines is non bose than...ill have to check it out next time i go into the car

youngmoney89
05-18-09, 04:04 PM
um i changed my theme to the Cadillac Owners Group Mobile and i cant seem to find a way to change it back..i cant even access the whole user cp wtf

youngmoney89
05-19-09, 03:46 PM
hmmmmmmmm

youngmoney89
06-06-09, 01:04 PM
nevermind the digital dash problem.how would i install a new headunit? the old one is gone and the wire harness is broken

youngmoney89
06-15-09, 01:41 AM
bumpss

Heide264
06-15-09, 04:34 PM
Well, if you want to install a new hu and your problems are coming from a lack there of I'd say you are SoL without buying a new harness. It seems the best way to go about fixing those problems is to run the required data wires and power wires and such from the old head unit elsewhere in the car with the old head unit and leave it connected. Then connect a new head unit in separately.

I still don't think all those problems are related to the head unit though...

youngmoney89
06-15-09, 04:52 PM
Well, if you want to install a new hu and your problems are coming from a lack there of I'd say you are SoL without buying a new harness. It seems the best way to go about fixing those problems is to run the required data wires and power wires and such from the old head unit elsewhere in the car with the old head unit and leave it connected. Then connect a new head unit in separately.

I still don't think all those problems are related to the head unit though...

yeah i realised there not related to the headunit i cant edit my post though.

Im asking what do i need to just install a new headunit without rewiring anything to the trunk because i dont have the orignal headunit that came with the car...the cords that are where the headunit supposed to be are messed up, like bent pins cut wires etc.What would i ahve to buy to be able to install another headunit

youngmoney89
06-20-09, 02:49 PM
bumpz