: I think I need a new starter for my 77 deville, I need some opinions

Tzd1310
05-17-09, 01:37 AM
My 77 deville has been starting up a little slow these past 2 days, when I turn the key the engine turns over slowly 4 or 5 times before it starts and I have to push the gas pedal a bit too. I just replaced the battery and I'm running 2 amps off it but it's fine when I drive so the alternater seems to be working effectively so im assuming it's the starter. Has anyone replaced their starter and knows what I should do? Any advice thanks

Angry Matt
05-17-09, 10:52 AM
I was having a similar problem and it was suggested to clean all connections that are related to the starter. (Positive and neg. on the battery, the ground form the bat. to the block, and the ground from the block to the frame.)and check for frayed wires. Once you've established it's not a connection issue and the alternator is functioning properly, then you should probably look at the starter as the problem. The bushings get old and frayed inside and it makes them hard to turn after a while. Is it a heat issue? Mine still starts slow when it's hot (after driving), but that's the only time.

Tzd1310
05-17-09, 01:51 PM
I just started it up cold no problem and now that I think about it it only happens when the engine is hot. I'm not sure what this means in terms of my engine functioning properly what do you think?

Angry Matt
05-17-09, 02:06 PM
Heat soak is the same issue I've been dealing with for almost a year now. I replaced my starter with a high torque mini starter, and beefed up all my wires. It works better, but still didn't completely fix the problem. I'm actually ordering a heat shield for my starter and some header wrap this week to see if that works, if not I'll go to a remote solenoid. Check out this thread, maybe some useful info.

http://forums.500cid.com/showthread.php?t=1562

Tzd1310
05-17-09, 03:05 PM
That link is very helpful thanks. I wonder if the pinion gear in my starter needs to be readjusted but I'm not sure because it starts up decent when it's cold, the lights just dim a bit. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work when it's hot though. Let me know if your heat wrap solution works because I wouldn't be suprised if that's what I need as well, the engine gets very hot when running but the start up seems to be the only thng affected. How much better is your start up with the new starter? My connections seem to be ok so I feel like I'm almost at the source of this problem

cadillac_al
05-17-09, 03:36 PM
I'm guessing the alternator is not keeping up with demand; it's keeping up enough to keep the car running though.

drmenard
05-17-09, 07:11 PM
A distrubtor problem can cause problems with hot starting.. the centrifical advance weights and springs can get stuck or break and cause the timing to be to far advanced when starting.. take the distrubtor cap off.. take the two screws holding on the rotor and the weights and springs are right there... make sure they are free and the springs look good and not streched out or broke...

Tzd1310
05-17-09, 10:19 PM
Sounds like a good idea but I have no idea where my distruber cap is. The spring attached to my throttle cable became stretched out because of the heat this very well could be the problem. I've had no problem with cold starts since I started this thread. If it weren't dark I'd take a picuter under the hood can someone tell me where I can find this cap?

jayoldschool
05-17-09, 10:54 PM
It's the round thing with 8 wires coming out of it... :D

Look in front of the air cleaner and behind the upper rad hose:

http://www.surpluselectron.com/aaron/deville3.jpg

Tzd1310
05-18-09, 12:18 AM
ah I see, I'll check that out tommorw. I'm gunna stop by auto zone too and buy a voltometer so I can check the alternator.

Angry Matt
05-25-09, 01:01 PM
I finally got my car back on the road and wrapped the starter with a velcro heat shield from summit. It seems to be working better. Did a few tests and am pretty confident it is helping. I think it was $17? Maybe it's worth a try. If you are curious as to if the gears need to be lined up better, just look at the teeth on the flywheel and the pinion gear. Any wear will be a sign of them not being properly aligned. Check for the edges being shaved off, or broken teeth. If it starts fine cold, it should start the same hot, so alignment is probably not the issue.

Angry Matt
05-25-09, 10:38 PM
Never mind about the starter heat shield. After a long drive today, I restarted the car about a minute after parking it and it still feels like a dead battery.