: Ian picked up a Sebring. Everyone make fun of him.

Jesda
05-16-09, 09:26 PM
http://www.cars-bikes.info/d/1420-2/2008-chrysler-sebring-convertible-002.jpg

Ewww. I guess you have to be a dedicated mopar fan to stomach one of those.

77CDV
05-16-09, 09:29 PM
What happend to the Deville and the Riv? And why on earth throw over either for a Sebring of all things?!?

gdwriter
05-16-09, 09:39 PM
All I can say is I hope he put it back down immediately.

Jesda
05-16-09, 10:29 PM
He just texted me from the road and said he loves the MP3 stereo and built-in Sirius. I hope it was worth the lifetime of ridicule. Praises the fuel economy. "I've gone 355 miles with 1/4 tank of fuel left."

I can't make this stuff up. I have the text messages here in my hand.
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/wpw-20090516/normal_DCP_3939.JPG

gary88
05-16-09, 10:45 PM
............................................______ __
....................................,.-...................``~.,
.............................,.-...................................-.,
.........................,/...............................................:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....~,_........~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......=,_.......-,_.......,.-~-,},.~;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......=-._......;,,./`..../............../
...,,,___.`~,......~.,....................`.....} ............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|............ ..`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_......... .._,-%.......`

Rodya234
05-16-09, 10:46 PM
was der fick.

seriously? seriously.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-16-09, 10:56 PM
Is it a new one or an older one? We had a rental as on in DC about 6 years ago and it was not a bad car. However, its still a b**ch car.

77CDV
05-16-09, 10:58 PM
Did he show some vestige of good taste and at least get the convertible?

Jesda, Ian must surrender his man card to you immediately. He can have it back when he buys a man's car.

Jesda
05-16-09, 11:03 PM
Did he show some vestige of good taste and at least get the convertible?

Yeah, its a convertible. He said it was maroon colored.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/wpw-20090516/normal_DCP_3942.JPG

77CDV
05-16-09, 11:12 PM
As it will likely leave him marooned, it's appropriate!

gdwriter
05-16-09, 11:16 PM
Can we change his screen name to MichaelScott?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/428661663_5504b3a11e.jpg?v=0

billc83
05-16-09, 11:33 PM
Wow, just...wow.

At least the convertible is better looking than the sedan...but that's not saying much. Sebring sedan = :vomit:

orconn
05-16-09, 11:41 PM
Oh no Joe! Say it ain't so! Our discerning contemporary auto connosieur opted for a Sebring, a crummy Mopar plebemobile. And one of the bulky, ungainly thalidomide subjected convertibles at that. Oh well we all have lapses of taste and judgement let's just hope Ian discovers the error of his ways and returns to the ranks, once again, of automobilisti with superior aesthetic cognition!!

[NortHStaR]
05-17-09, 12:19 AM
Jesda, do you picture document everything? I would never want to be in a courtroom against you.

AMGoff
05-17-09, 12:53 AM
Damnit Jesda... We need a little more information, most importantly - the year.

Is it a new one ('08+)? If so, does it have the retractable hardtop? What's the trim level? Moreover... What engine does it have? While everyone may like to rag on the Sebring (the sedan rightfully so mind you), the fact remains that an '08+ Sebring Limited retractable-hardtop convertible with the 3.5L V6 and 6-speed automatic transmission is actually one hell of a nice car. It's only with the lesser models that things can begin to get dicey... especially with the 2.7L V6 - although they supposedly "worked on" that engine for the new cars.

The '01-'06 models were pretty much an abomination... That's when they introduced the 2.7L and the styling was arguably much less attractive than the style it replaced.

Which brings us to and leaves us with the original '96-'00 JX Sebrings... Not only were the mechanically sound for the most part with their Mitsubishi supplied 2.5L V6 engines, but their styling remains as one of the best looking domestic convertibles ever even to this day... It is definitely a design that has aged well. I had a '97 JXi for years and only just ended up selling it to a friend at the end of '07... It was a great car and never had any real problem with it - the only I remember having to replace on it was a tie-rod end. Otherwise it had decent performance, killer looks, and unlimited sky... Which is a-okay in my book.

So don't worry Ian, if nothing else - I won't rag on you... Especially since I'm certain you must have gotten a phenomenal deal on it :thumbsup:

That is unless you got one with the 2.7L/4-sp.... In which case, you're dead to me...

orconn
05-17-09, 01:08 AM
http://www.cars-bikes.info/d/1420-2/2008-chrysler-sebring-convertible-002.jpg

Ewww. I guess you have to be a dedicated mopar fan to stomach one of those.

I am sorry, whether in photos or in person this new Sebring convertible is ugly!

[NortHStaR]
05-17-09, 04:39 AM
their styling remains as one of the best looking domestic convertibles ever even to this day...

Sayyy Whattt?!

Playdrv4me
05-17-09, 04:42 AM
Well played... well played.

The Sebring thankfully is the one-way Rental I took from Tampa to Charlotte to come get the Deville (assuming the Deville ends up in the condition described), as I decided to get that.

I know my friends Adam and Sandy are Mopar fans but I must make one thing remarkably clear...

The Chrysler Sebring is an unredeemable shitbox. There are no two ways about it, no way to smooth it over, no "niche appeal" like the Crossfire... Nothing.

This car represents EVERYTHING that is wrong and ridiculed about the domestic auto industry and *almost* makes me embarrassed to be an American... Almost. Everyone should hate a car like this for the global damage it does to the perceptions of our vehicles.

The interior is made of the kind of plastic you had on your big wheel as a kid, the silver painted surfaces are peeling badly from scratches, the car is unsettled over bumps and potholes and with 10k miles this Sebring already had a bad groan from the suspension or brakes in low speed turns, The seats are barely passable and the interior is TIGHT and NARROW for what is such an unnecessarily HUGE car on the outside. The engine is thrashy and absolutely unable to get this car out of it's own way (I don't even know what motor was in here nor did I care). One of the WORST design features is the trunklid, which without the power assist struts would EASILY weigh over 100LB as some of the electrical top's running gear is actually mounted to the trunklid ITSELF, a-la '60s Thunderbird (it was understandable back then). When you lift the trunklid you're practically lifting the entire back half of the car. Part of the problem is that the tiny brackets holding the whole contraption up when open are stressed so easily that a finger push will cause the entire assembly to shake. If the struts on that assembly ever give up (which WILL happen) that decklid has the potential to cause serious injury to little fingers or to Grandma.

The ONLY things I did like about the car were the fantastic Sirius/MP3/CD/DVD Radio unit (not sure why it plays DVD Video as it has no video screen anywhere) which has a very rich detailed sound for such a basic audio system. I also liked the fuel economy which got me 600 miles for less than 50 bucks.

I am NOT exagerating when I give this pile of junk a 2 of 10, and that's being generous. To put it in clearer terms, the '80s staple Chrysler Lebaron was 100 times better in it's day than the Sebring is now. This is why Chrysler has come to the point it has. Sad too, the previous Sebring was actually pleasing to look at and not so bad inside. The ENTIRE vehicle seems like some of kind of cobbled together, hurried up box of instant mashed potatoes. Even the way the "Chrysler" and "Sebring" badges are just mashed together on the trunk is horrible.

On a side note, I was VERY pleased with the Budget one-way rental. Right now they are trying to migrate popular vehicles back up north for the summer so you basically act as a transporter for them, and they give you the rock bottom lowest rental rates for your one-way trip. I got the convertible for 16.95, but I could have had even the premium SUV for the same price. The only cars that were more expensive were the economy (41.99) and the Grand Marquis at an astonishing 275.99. It is likely they need to keep these vehicles in the area due to demand, and thus make the pricing unattractive so people won't take them.

http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/pieceofcrap.jpg

Jesda
05-17-09, 05:25 AM
I succeeded in defaming his character for a day. I'd like to say I'm getting even for something, but honestly I'm just an as-hole.

:)

I sat in a Sebring sedan once and wanted eagerly to get out. The interior plastics smell like tupperware, though in fairness Tupperware is FAR more durable.

Its really a shame, because I was a big fan of the 1996-2000 convertibles. Chrysler could barely keep up with demand back then. Those Mitsu-powered cars are still on the road, racking up over 200,000 miles. One of the Seville guys on this board runs Sebringclub.net. I think he has a white 1996 convertible.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-17-09, 10:26 AM
Can we change his screen name to MichaelScott?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/428661663_5504b3a11e.jpg?v=0

Oh did you see in last week's episode that Michael got a new one, which is also a maroon convertible. What is it with Michael and crappy Chrysler convertibles?

I have to admit, I got scared when I saw the title and started reading the thread, but I knew Ian wasn't the kinda guy who would buy that abomination.

By the time you finally get to see this DeVille, it will seem so nice by comparison that you'll end up buying it within minutes of laying eyes on it.

77CDV
05-17-09, 02:10 PM
Jesda could put Ashton Kutcher out of a job.

AMGoff
05-17-09, 03:36 PM
;1879618']Sayyy Whattt?!

What's there to say... The original '96-'00 JX Sebrings are fantastically styled cars and remain so today. You were what... 4 when they came out? I can see how that could possibly be lost on you...

AMGoff
05-17-09, 03:39 PM
I know my friends Adam and Sandy are Mopar fans but I must make one thing remarkably clear...

The Chrysler Sebring is an unredeemable shitbox. There are no two ways about it, no way to smooth it over, no "niche appeal" like the Crossfire... Nothing.

Just for the record, I was only really praising the '96-'00 Sebrings... and that I said very clearly that the '01+ w/2.7L were abominations. The only decent one now is the new limited hardtop with the 3.5L and 6-sp auto.

C0RSA1R
05-17-09, 03:47 PM
Should've gone with the DeVille.

Live and learn.

Jesda
05-17-09, 03:56 PM
01-03 had a nice body and decent interior.
http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/506/01.jpg

04 got that hideous monster grille.
http://awesomecarauctions.com/uploaded_images/2006%20chrystler%20sebring%20convertible-742715.jpg

77CDV
05-17-09, 10:22 PM
It's no more hideous than any current Audi, though a grille-heavy front end and four wheels is all the two cars will ever have in common.

Gristle Boy
05-19-09, 02:43 PM
Gah! I made the same mistake last month, except my nightmare lasted a week! When I rented it I thought "well really, how bad could it be?" Holy shit! I was tempted to abandon it by the road & hop on a bus!:banghead: