: List of Common V Warranty Issues

gtg732w
05-16-09, 05:51 PM
Hey everybody, I just traded up to a 2005 CTS-V, and the factory warranty expires in about 12 days.

I am trying to compile a list of things on the car I should check to make sure I can have them fixed under warranty.

So far, I have:

Nav firmware needs updating (stuck in Michigan issue)
Adjust the e-brake (tried the pumping 3 times, no luck)

The rear end clunks during shifts, and I've read that some clunk is expected, but how do I know when the differential? mounts need replaced?

Also, how do I know if the motor mounts need replacing?

I have a full auto history for reference; is their anything else I should look for?

Thanks again, this place has gotten my out of soooo many jams :)
Dan

CTSV_510
05-16-09, 07:28 PM
I had these things replaced under warranty:

- Nav Unit (scratchy CD player & flaking buttons)
- Center console armrest (cracked and loose)
- Rear differential (whining at light throttle 35-50 mph & clunk. the clunk came back after 1 month with new diff)
- Hood hinges (loose hood making noise at highway speeds)
- Heated seat control module
- Driver side motor mount (dieseling at shutoff)

That is all I can remember.

Check your fluid reservoirs - mainly clutch fluid and make sure it is full and clear.

Kudos to you for searching and reading the forum for info. There is A LOT here. :thumbsup:

trhs75
05-17-09, 12:06 AM
I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but have you noticed a rumble at 65-70 mph at steady throttle pressure? It goes away when I let off the accelerator, so I think it's some kind of reverberation from the exhaust. If it's normal, I guess I can live with it. If it's something which can be solved, I'd like to have it fixed under warranty. Does it sound like anything your V has done?

c4ss
05-17-09, 02:06 AM
The "dieseling down" effect when you shut the car off usually hints that your motor mounts are shot. I got my motor mounts replaced a year ago and it's starting to do it again already :helpless. The OEM MMs are junk. If you've got the cash, switch to UUC motor mounts. Chances are you're going to eventually switch anyway.

daVe06
05-17-09, 07:13 AM
The "dieseling down" effect when you shut the car off usually hints that your motor mounts are shot.

Uh Oh!!

My '06 has been in for:
-Radio/Nav system replaced twice. Peeling buttons the first time, faulty radio antenna module second time.
-Rear diff carrier suport bushing. TSB
-Rear diff pinion and axle shaft seals. leaks
-Front hubs. Play in bearings. front end noise.
-"Service Airbag Soon" warning. Passenger seat air bag module/ seat cushion replaced.
-Knock sensor circuit fault. Chaffed wiring repaired.
-Evaporative emmissions canister purge solenoid replaced.
-Power steering noise. They flushed the system. not 100% fixed.
-Peeling/fading/deteriorating headlights. "chemical damage" not covered.

I have recently found the rest of the front end noise to be hard and worn sway bar bushings that the dealer said were fine. I trimmed and shimmed them to tighten them up, and lubed them until I can get some upgraded replacements. Front end is dead quiet now.

I still love this car.

jacobyjas
05-17-09, 05:13 PM
I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but have you noticed a rumble at 65-70 mph at steady throttle pressure? It goes away when I let off the accelerator, so I think it's some kind of reverberation from the exhaust. If it's normal, I guess I can live with it. If it's something which can be solved, I'd like to have it fixed under warranty. Does it sound like anything your V has done?

Did you ever get a response to this question? Last week I drove my wife's V on a 100 mile highway trip and noticed a low frequency rumble from about 75 mph+ when there was some load. It disappears when I lift off the throttle.
jim

CTSV_510
05-17-09, 05:45 PM
Did you ever get a response to this question? Last week I drove my wife's V on a 100 mile highway trip and noticed a low frequency rumble from about 75 mph+ when there was some load. It disappears when I lift off the throttle.
jim

Is this is 6th gear? Does it disappear if you go to 5th?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3425.pdf

deedubb
05-17-09, 08:24 PM
I had these things replaced under warranty:

Check your fluid reservoirs - mainly clutch fluid and make sure it is full and clear.

510, sorry to jack this guys thread but your post made me wonder. I have been having shift problems lately, and have added fluid to correct as my hydraulic clutch fluid reservoir was really low. I did notice that the fluid is dirty and not clear. Will this cause problems? How do I correct?

CTSV_510
05-17-09, 08:47 PM
Any fluid gets dirty and dirty fluid doesn't operate as well as clean fluid. Low or contaminated fluid can cause shifting problems.

The best thing to do is have a complete flush of the clutch system.

Simple way but not as complete is to suck the dirty fluid out of the reservoir, refill with clean fluid, pump the clutch pedal 20 or 30 times, recheck fluid, suck out dirty fluid, refill, repeat. I check on this fluid every couple weeks and maybe suck out old fluid and refill once every 2 months if it is dirty.

deedubb
05-17-09, 08:59 PM

hXc95SLS
05-17-09, 09:03 PM
Mine was just in for bad starter.

Also I have flakey radio/navi buttons
I also have a leaky pinion seal in my diff. Too bad my warrenty is beat. :/

gtg732w
05-18-09, 11:52 PM
Guys, thanks a lot for all of the help thus far. Some of this might seem picky or paranoid, and if so I apologize, I just want to make sure I give my new V the love it deserves :yup:

I've been compiling a list so far and this is what I have:

Definite: Nav Firmware, E brake adjust

Possible:
Differential clunk - hopefully I can have the dealer inspect the mounts, if they are good we can leave them, if not they can be replaced

Motor mounts - I think they might be on the verge of going out, engine seems to take a bit to stop... Might be normal but again if I can have it looked at under warranty I think that's the answer. Also, C4SS, I would not be opposed to the UUC motor mounts, however I couldn't find a price for the CTS-V mounts on their website, does anyone know how much?

I think I read somewhere that headlight washers come standard on all V's, can anyone confirm? Cause if they do, mine need a fixin'

I have some transmission whine above about 3500-4000 RPM in first gear too, might be paranoia though, anyone seen anything similar?

Finally, sometimes in shifting into first, it seems as though the shifter will catch on something partly into gear, almost as though I am pushing the shift knob too much to one side... Is this normal?

Again, thanks everybody for all the help, this is by far the best car forum I've been part of.

Dan

cvettr/cts-v
05-19-09, 08:41 AM
Headlight washers are standard on all 1st gen v's. If I remember correctly they only work when headlight is on and you use the windshield washer. Have you tried that?

gtg732w
05-19-09, 12:41 PM
Actually, I didn't think to try that, I'll have to have the misses check when she gets home.

Thanks,
Dan

CTSV_510
05-19-09, 08:07 PM
Again, thanks everybody for all the help, this is by far the best car forum I've been part of.

Dan

:highfive:

Best smilies too!

:party:

c4ss
05-19-09, 09:48 PM
...Also, C4SS, I would not be opposed to the UUC motor mounts, however I couldn't find a price for the CTS-V mounts on their website, does anyone know how much?

You're probably better off switching. Only reason I keep using the crap OEM ones is because I keep getting them from GM (warranty). Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac on the right panel of vendors for a price on them ----->

Good Luck.

-Matt