: Extended Warranty

gtg732w
05-16-09, 05:45 PM
Hello all, I've been in the SLS forum for a while and just traded up to a 2005 CTS-V.

The factory warranty ends in about 12 days, and I spoke with the dealer about extending it, but I wanted to see what experiences everyone had with the policy... anything that was left out, trouble getting dealers to perform the work covered under warranty, etc.

The dealer told me 3 additional years, 24,000 more miles for $1600.

On a similar note, anyone know of good Caddy dealers in the St. Louis area?

Thanks for all the help!
Dan

darkman
05-16-09, 06:02 PM
I was only interested in the General Motors extended warranty to avoid sellers I did not know. I shopped on the internet to get competitive prices. The seller can set the price. I then went into my dealer and got close to the best price from them. I wanted to buy from the dealer that would be handling the claims to maintain a good working relationship with them.

Umpquacod
05-16-09, 09:15 PM
I was in the same boat recently and finally obtained a 36mo/36k mile GMPP warranty for $1,150.00. This was from Black Pontiac Cadillac's GM Outlet.

I tried to send you a link to their site but, since I'm an old guy who's apparently too new to be trusted, I'm unable to do so until I grow up a bit. :) I'm sure you can Google them and come up with their URL.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

----Mac Scott (Umpquacod)

gtg732w
05-16-09, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys, I did take a look at the Black Pontiac Cadillac price list and they look to be pretty good. There is a $700 difference between what my dealer quoted and what Black is offering, so I think that's the way to go.

Has anyone had any experience filing claims with the warranty? I'm just trying to understand the process.

My biggest concern is that I'll spend the money for the warranty only to have my local dealer tell me that it doesn't cover anything (we've all seen the shell game), has anyone run into this?

Thanks again everybody, this place keeps me truckin' :)

trhs75
05-16-09, 11:56 PM
Is that the GM Majorguard policy?

Umpquacod
05-17-09, 12:52 AM
Dunno. Haven't received a copy of the policy yet. But the primary wording on the email correspondence I've had with them refers simply to the "General Motors Protection Plan."

jnrandall
05-17-09, 09:56 AM
I really love my GMPP plan. It's saved me a bunch of times. I really like it now because I just found out that I don't have to go to the dealer for repairs. This GM warranty says you can visit a dealer or any licensed repair shop. My buddy owns and operates a shop and now he does ALL of my warranty work for me. No worries about mods again. He's faster and better than my dealer as well.

Hope you got the right plan and sub plan, ie Major Guard.

ccextra1976
05-17-09, 11:33 AM
got a GMPP major gaurd warranty on my 05, already paid for my warranty cost with a new diff/rad/and various other part by 2x

here is what GMPP major gaurd doesn't cover

Non-Covered Parts

Maintenance services and parts
(refer to agreement)
Glass and lenses
Sealed beams and light bulbs
Tires
Non-GM installed components
Sheet metal
Bumpers
Body panels and parts
Hinges
Upholstery, carpeting and trim
Convertible or vinyl tops
Molding or bright metal
Air and water leaks
Odors
Wind noises
Squeaks and rattles
Weather-strips
Rust
Paint
Fuel contamination
Exhaust system/catalytic converter
Brake drums/rotors
Brake pads/shoes
Shock absorbers
Manual clutch disc
Spark plugs and wires
Batteries

overall it's the best one out there

ccextra1976
05-17-09, 11:36 AM
I really love my GMPP plan. It's saved me a bunch of times. I really like it now because I just found out that I don't have to go to the dealer for repairs. This GM warranty says you can visit a dealer or any licensed repair shop. My buddy owns and operates a shop and now he does ALL of my warranty work for me. No worries about mods again. He's faster and better than my dealer as well.

Hope you got the right plan and sub plan, ie Major Guard.

please explain more:bouncy: is there some kind of limit that says a dealer has to be located xxx miles away etc???
you may have found the loop we've all been looking for!!!...if you claim something like a diff etc do they send a rep to come look at the car etc...

CadzillaTN
05-17-09, 01:10 PM
I had all the major things fixed under factory warranty just before it expired- but still bought the gmpp major from the dealer for $2095- 3 yr, 45K miles $50 deductible.

take a look at the list above- whats left? the engine? diff? cpu? tranny (maybe, if you dont have cags or a new shifter- both of which will void your warranty right there or so I was told).

So far, its actually cost me money because of the bullshit rules around them taking their time to determine if there is a problem and it can actually cost you money for the loaner, etc.

so basically I bought a 2K warranty i'll probably never use unless I drive the car like I stole it. well, maybe a radiator but I dont see anything else breaking (that they will actually fix).

dealers will ignore or avoid most problems by teling you they dont exist. dont let them fool you. hopefully the big GM AX will take some of these guys out- they deserve it

Umpquacod
05-17-09, 10:07 PM
Is that the GM Majorguard policy?

Just returned home and found my extended warranty contract in the mail. It is, in fact, a "Majorguard" warranty. Just wanted to clear that up.

Forgot to mention in my first post in this thread that I opted for the $200 deductible. Figured I got a few two-hunnerds.....just not too many two-thousands. :D

jnrandall
05-17-09, 10:23 PM
please explain more:bouncy: is there some kind of limit that says a dealer has to be located xxx miles away etc???
you may have found the loop we've all been looking for!!!...if you claim something like a diff etc do they send a rep to come look at the car etc...

There really isn't much more to explain. I needed to get my wheel sensor/hub repaired, for example. It is covered. My friend diagnosed the problem, called GM Customer Services and then got the authorization to order parts and do the repair.

Here's an snippet from the GMPP FAQ on their site regarding repairs:

Repair and Maintenance
Where do I go for repairs?
Repairs can be handled conveniently though any GM dealership or licensed repair facility in the United States and Canada.

Do I have to make an appointment for repairs or maintenance?
Appointment requirements are based on the policy of the individual GM dealership or licensed repair facility.

If I am on vacation or traveling out-of-state, who will service my vehicle?
For your convenience, there are thousands of GM dealerships and licensed repair facilities authorized to perform necessary repairs covered under the GM Protection Plan in the United States and Canada.

gtg732w
05-18-09, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies. Glad to know this is worth it. When I get a chance I am going to be calling my dealer to work a deal and order the MajorGuard Policy. If I can't get them to honor the price quoted by Black Cadillac, I can order directly from Black.

Thanks again!

cvettr/cts-v
05-18-09, 05:42 PM
To answer your question on St. louis dealers. I have only used Lynch as it is closest to my house in north county. They have been fine to deal with so far. They are not real familliar with the V though but their customer service has been very good. The only complaint I would have with them is they use Enterprise for their rentals in stead of their own fleet so don't expect a caddy. I would possibly consider using another dealer if I knew the service was as good and guaranteed caddy rental. I have been lucky as my 2006 V was bought new in texas and have only had minor issues. I feel I am informed enough (from being on here) that I talk to the service writer and remind him of the difference from standard CTS upon drop off and he passes any and all to his best technician. I do not know who your dealer is as you did not state it. But if it is them give them a shot if not post your dealer and experience and you may help me out.

V for Vendetta
05-18-09, 09:13 PM
Just curious if you have to do a pre-inspection on your car before you can purchase the GMPP?

Like, does the dealer have to go through the whole car to make sure there are no existing problems, or aftermarket goodies on there that would cause the warranty to be void?

I like the licensed dealer thing. This will help a many of us who have friends with their own shops.

jnrandall
05-18-09, 10:25 PM
In my experience, the answer is no to the pre inspection. I guess since you can only get it if your covered by the factory warranty, it doesn't matter.

gtg732w
05-19-09, 12:30 AM
Cvettr,

I bought my V from Elco Chevrolet/Cadillac this past Saturday, unfortunately I am working a project in Atlanta for three weeks straight, so I'll be gone when the warranty becomes void. My dad can drive the car to the shop, but since this car is new to both of us I don't want the dealer trying to pull a fast one since I can't be there to call them on it.

I know Plaza deals with a lot of "big baller" type cars, so I would expect their staff to be among the most knowledgeable, but that's just speculation.

I'll probably try Elco first since my salesman told me to keep him in the loop, he also told me he'd work hard to help fix any issues, so hopefully he wasn't just blowing smoke.

Once I take the car in I'll post so if anyone is looking for a dealer in the StL they can find it.

Thanks,
Dan

cvettr/cts-v
05-19-09, 09:04 AM
Please do post your thoughts and experience with them. You just reminded me that Elco took over Moore Cadillac. I know a guy who is a great Corvette mechanic but I'm trying to remember if he is still at Elco or if he went out on his own to do more perfomance type stuff. If I find he is still there I will post here with his name. If he is there and allowed to do Caddy work I would definately request him. He was 1 of only 2 people allowed to work on my vettes when I owned them.

cvettr/cts-v
05-19-09, 06:51 PM
gtg732w, I just sent you a pm with his name he is still at Elco. I just did not want to post his contact info and upset any sponsors. In the pm i gave you my e-mail in case you have any other questions.

gtg732w
06-05-09, 12:54 PM
Just following up on my service experience at Elco Chevrolet Cadillac in St. Louis so other V owners will have something to go on.

Overall I definitely had good service while I was there, from the mechanic that cvettr recommended to the service advisor everything went well. They were helpful and knowledgeable, although they had my car for a couple of weeks waiting on a new differential from the factory. I was traveling during the time, but they were good about responding to my constant request for status updates...

If anyone is looking for a good V/Vette mechanic let me know (or PM cvettr) for the name.

The only downside to the whole experience is that they stored my car outside for two weeks while I was traveling, it was just washed when I brought it in and when I got it back it was dirty and covered in bird poop... :mad:

If anyone would like more details feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Dan

GizmoQ
06-05-09, 01:28 PM
.... I know Plaza deals with a lot of "big baller" type cars, so I would expect their staff to be among the most knowledgeable, but that's just speculation.

They don't know SQUATT!! I had a problem locking my removable hardtop on my SL500 and took it to them thinking like you say. They had the car over a week, charged me over $400 and then said it couldn't be fixed. I drove outta there straight to Tri-Star in Ellisville, the service writer laughed at Plaza, went out to my car himself, explained and showed me how to fix the problem in less than 2 minutes and charged me $0. From then on my M-B cars always get serviced at Tri-Star and I tell everyone within earshot to avoid Plaza like the plague!

I used to take my Caddy to Lindberg Cadilllac cause they were (in my opinion) the most knowledgeable techs in the area. They had no problem working on modified cars, managed their appointments well, and actually helped me get some aftermarket stuff done. Unfortunately, all my buddies there bailed/retired after the last strike.