: Noisy Gear drive for a 472?

68deville&99escalade
07-14-04, 03:27 PM
Does anyone know if they make a Noisy Gear drive for the 472?

lux hauler
07-14-04, 04:20 PM
nope.....nothing like that made.

Ogier
07-14-04, 07:19 PM
You might check Pete Jackson...

Good luck
Ogier
:lildevil:

JTraik
07-14-04, 08:01 PM
What is this... Noisy Gear Drive? :hmm:

68deville&99escalade
07-14-04, 08:44 PM
you basically get rid of your timing chain, and instead it is run by 2 smaller gears in between the crank & cam pulley under yout timing cover. But the noisy one, also gives a loud wining sound, almost like a supercharger. Alot of Hot rod people use em in chevys.

I really want one for the car, if anyone finds out, please post it.

lux hauler
07-15-04, 12:51 AM
Let me try this again......

There are, at this time , no gear drives available for the 472/500 engines.
The people that are getting performance parts made for these engines are people looking to make lots of power. Gear drives don't make power......they rob power. Cloyes make an excellent roller timing set-up though.

wurstarme
07-15-04, 01:07 AM
Let me try this again......

There are, at this time , no gear drives available for the 472/500 engines.
The people that are getting performance parts made for these engines are people looking to make lots of power. Gear drives don't make power......they rob power. Cloyes make an excellent roller timing set-up though.
They rob power? How substantial is the reduction?

lux hauler
07-15-04, 01:33 AM
How much I'm not sure.

As I understand it....the reason they make noise is because of the way the gears mesh together. There is more resistance with the gear set up than there is with a chain.

I'll do a little research and see what I can come up with.

Ogier
07-15-04, 02:02 AM
In my experience, anything more than about 450hp and gear drives tend to start coming apart.

This is why I refuse to use one under any circumstances. Not worth the risk.

Ogier

TorqueInc
07-16-04, 09:07 PM
Gear drives transfer harmonics from the crank to the cam and on a small broomstick of a camshaft like the cadillac it is a very bad idea:tisk:

buy a cloyes and enjoys its troublefree nature