: Painted grille

LLCoolJson
05-15-09, 10:06 PM
Just had the grille painted to match the car... wow.. this is the way caddy should have done it... so much better than the silver ... my whip is pearl white... looks so much better......

EChas3
05-15-09, 10:43 PM
Mine is Black/Black. I'm planning on doing it, but not in a real hurry. I don't want to paint it on the car and considering changing bulbs to LED when they have it apart. Any views on that?

The wife's STS is Light Platinum and the OEM grille looks great. The other silver/grey with the OEM grille look OK, too. It's kinda funny how many variations of silver they make. I agree Caddy should have varied the grille to coordinate better with the body color.

I'm thinking of a satin finish. Anyone go glossy?

lreddiablo
05-20-09, 09:10 AM
IMO the grey grill looked very cheap on my black/black. Had the dealer paint it before I picked it up. Dealer questioned why I wanted to do it. After they did it they said they loved it and might actually do some of their other STSs. Looks 100000000000000 times better!

bbshriver
05-20-09, 09:38 AM
Need Pics!!

I want a good chrome grille.. trying to find a decent platinum Edition or similar.. aftermarket at $500+ is too much.
Stock looks cheap.

K STS
05-20-09, 03:11 PM
pictures?

mbnv992
05-20-09, 06:30 PM
Yes, I am thankful that my car is Light Platinum, and as such, the color of the grille matches the paint very well. If I had the STS in any other color (black especially) I would HANDS DOWN have the grille painted to match the car.

EChas3
05-20-09, 07:19 PM
So many people upgrade to the mesh grill, I'd bet the stock ones can be had cheap. I wonder if its possible to chrome the plastic (like poly-styrene models). That would be too 'flash' for my my tastes but would stand out!

LLCoolJson
05-21-09, 08:02 AM
I also was looking at an aftermarket grille... but dam there expensive.. since my car was in the shop for some damage reapair, had them paint the grille also.. funny story about the repair.. after the car was repaired.. went to use my window washers and the headlight washers just shot off.. like little rockets. seems the clips were bad so back to the shop i went.. all is well now.. call me the james bond of sts's...

bbshriver
05-21-09, 11:05 AM
NEED PICTURES! I want to see one with painted grille, especially anyone that has a 'blue chip" but any dark color would be fine.

Regulator
05-21-09, 11:21 AM
Found these using google

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/louver-STS-VHemi10.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3242/801/33102900031_medium.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2921/4401/32302200019_medium.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i144/leasnit/caddy2.jpg

bbshriver
05-21-09, 12:42 PM
I thought about this, but I think my problem is more with the shape of the grille.. the horizontal slats are too large/curvy.

I like the DTS grille a lot, and I think the platinum STS grille is basically the same design based on pictures.

So many people upgrade to the mesh grill, I'd bet the stock ones can be had cheap. I wonder if its possible to chrome the plastic (like poly-styrene models). That would be too 'flash' for my my tastes but would stand out!

Dirny
06-17-09, 11:52 AM
Here is a pic of my painted grill.

Did it myself, removed the grill, then removed the emblem in the middle and the chrome trim.

Local auto body supplier puts actual colors in spray cans. Used white primer, then several coats of white diamond, then several coats of clear coat.

Color does not match perfectly, as I didn't have the luxury of re-mixing to match, but the slight contrast actually makes the grill stand out a bit.

My grill was a bit scratched and faded, so I am very pleased with what I got out of two days time and $65.00 investment.

David

corvette00
06-17-09, 01:30 PM
I have a painted grille in my black 07 with mesh behind it (like SRX sport).

STS28
06-17-09, 03:53 PM
Here is a pic of my painted grill.

Did it myself, removed the grill, then removed the emblem in the middle and the chrome trim.

Local auto body supplier puts actual colors in spray cans. Used white primer, then several coats of white diamond, then several coats of clear coat.

Color does not match perfectly, as I didn't have the luxury of re-mixing to match, but the slight contrast actually makes the grill stand out a bit.

My grill was a bit scratched and faded, so I am very pleased with what I got out of two days time and $65.00 investment.

David
is your car color white diamond or pearl, i have a white diamond sts and am seriously thinking of doing this? thanks

doowap57
06-19-09, 08:24 PM
NO ! Not that kind of dating, Year dating.
There used to be a Luxury car by Chrysler, called the Imperial.
It Was the flagship of Chrysler, and in the 50's it was really chromed,
loads of dress up stuff, Mainly Pure Luxury.I think a President,not sure,
which one, rode in one.anywho,the grille it had was similar to the STS,
I remember it well, as i followed customized cars, and a very close friend,
of mine , took a 55 chevy, used an Imperial grille, Merc wagon tailights,
which fit in the hole, and looked great,he did other stuff, and entered,
it in a contest, and won one of them, but never the big one.
anywho, Imperial never made it the color of the car,as back then,
grilles were chrome, or shiny stuff of some sort.....
I think dark colors would LOOK great,
but lighter colors would NOT show up as well .Just my opinion.
Thought I would mention it :halo:

Lifer
06-20-09, 12:10 PM
NO ! Not that kind of dating, Year dating.
There used to be a Luxury car by Chrysler, called the Imperial.
It Was the flagship of Chrysler, and in the 50's it was really chromed,
loads of dress up stuff, Mainly Pure Luxury.I think a President,not sure,
which one, rode in one.anywho,the grille it had was similar to the STS,
I remember it well, as i followed customized cars, and a very close friend,
of mine , took a 55 chevy, used an Imperial grille, Merc wagon tailights,
which fit in the hole, and looked great,he did other stuff, and entered,
it in a contest, and won one of them, but never the big one.
anywho, Imperial never made it the color of the car,as back then,
grilles were chrome, or shiny stuff of some sort.....
I think dark colors would LOOK great,
but lighter colors would NOT show up as well .Just my opinion.
Thought I would mention it :halo:

Interestingly, the 1955 Chrysler Imperial had a grill that would remind you of the 2005-2007 Cadillac STS.

Dirny
06-20-09, 12:43 PM
is your car color white diamond or pearl, i have a white diamond sts and am seriously thinking of doing this? thanks

2005 White Diamond. Color Code 800J

I believe this was the only white offered that year....

TripleOught
06-22-09, 10:21 AM
I had the grey factory grill painted white diamond on my CTS and I absolutely loved it. Had my STS not come with an upper and lower V mesh grill, I would have done it again in a heart beat. It sets the car off just enough - and I'll agree the grey grill looks a bit cheap.

For those with regular colors getting it painted shouldn't cost as much as the tri-color white diamond.

STS28
06-22-09, 10:50 AM
what type paint did you use tripleought, what finish? thanks

deucedude2003
06-23-09, 09:45 PM
Painted my grill yesterday!
My car is black and now the grill is black. HUGE improvement over the grey/silver grill on a dark car. I painted it with Krylon Fusion paint for plastic, just cleaned it up and scuffed it up and shot it. I used the black gloss. To give you an idea, it looks about like the stock silver only slightly more shine, but no where near as "glass" like as the car finish, which seems to be ok. NO more cheap looking than the original. Only time will tell how well the Fusion paint will hold up??? It took about 2hrs including dry time. I didn't remove the emblem or chrome trim, just taped them off using blue painters tape. I did remove the grill from the car however, just made it easier and safer for the car. Removing the grill takes all of 5 minutes. I also painted the small turn lights on the front fenders with Nite-Shades, that looks very awesome!!! Will shoot the acrylic clear to give them some shine very soon. The next thing will be the grey piece below the rear bumper. Will probably shoot that with black gloss Fusion as well.
Cheers!

next2pool
06-23-09, 10:16 PM
I've had great luck with Fusion--on my cars and around the house. I've never had it peel or even fade so far. I'm am surprised your black is not as glossy as the body. I painted the grille in my van gloss black and it is very glossy and looks good for 3 years now in the AZ sun. I think you'll be happy with its durability.

deucedude2003
06-23-09, 10:40 PM
Thanks next2pool !!!
I wasn't sure if I had made the right choice in paint. I've never used the Fusion paint before.
Cheers!

STS28
06-24-09, 02:15 AM
thanks guys, im on it this weekend! is there a diagram on how to take the grill off, i take off the clips that are visible, but its still on there.

CTBB
01-23-10, 06:01 PM
Just had to revive this topic from the dead after having the grill on my '05 painted body color, sandstorm, while in the shop replacing the bumper-skin (long gruesome story I'll avoid at this time). It truly transforms the front of the car!! I swear it shrinks the nose, unifying the look corner to corner. The new paint included the anti-chip agent too, so I'm expecting good life from it. I did have added incentive to do something with it, as po had dripped something across the grill, staining it in 2 spots that reliably drew my eye :nono:.

Just my $.02

Glenn

Joe Pagano
01-23-10, 06:57 PM
I also painted my grille a few months ago. I bought a used grille, cleaned and roughed it up and used OEM spray, 3 coats, and the ClearCoat, 2 coats. I trimmed off the edges with chrome 1/4 inch trim and added a new emblem, took just a short time to swap out and I was very pleased with the look.
Well, a few storms and a few thousand miles and my pleasure was replaced with the pain of seeing the paint chipping away and the plastic very visable. Jumped on-line and bought a Platinum model grille and am pleased again. I guess my little project was too good to be true. I now have a fairly good grille, waiting to be stripped and redone, in the box and will give it away for shipping cost only. 05 by the way.
Joe P

BJD210
01-23-10, 11:17 PM
I also painted my grille a few months ago. I bought a used grille, cleaned and roughed it up and used OEM spray, 3 coats, and the ClearCoat, 2 coats. I trimmed off the edges with chrome 1/4 inch trim and added a new emblem, took just a short time to swap out and I was very pleased with the look.
Well, a few storms and a few thousand miles and my pleasure was replaced with the pain of seeing the paint chipping away and the plastic very visable. Jumped on-line and bought a Platinum model grille and am pleased again. I guess my little project was too good to be true. I now have a fairly good grille, waiting to be stripped and redone, in the box and will give it away for shipping cost only. 05 by the way.
Joe P

pm sent

Joe Pagano
01-24-10, 12:12 AM
FYI gang - grille is spoken for, that was quick. Going to BJD210

caddycts20
01-24-10, 01:06 AM
ive painted mine twice. i first went with redline red because i was going to paint the lips of my rims red. then i decided to go alllllll black and eventually flat black so i started painting the small stuff flat black.

REDLINE RED
http://i46.tinypic.com/x6c0x.jpg

FLAT BLACK
http://i50.tinypic.com/2mopi1d.jpg

STE_6000
01-24-10, 02:12 AM
good choice, i think that all black is much better the the red line. for a moment it looks like there was red lips on that car hehe. you going to get it painted the black on the car itself one day? or go for black chrome?

Slee_Stack
01-24-10, 12:42 PM
I thought briefly about painting mine White Diamond to match. I made my own bumper plugs, and they came out OK, but I don't want to mess with doing another tri-coat myself. I also don't want to pay for someone to do it. From whomever did their before, it definitely looks better than the stock Silver one, but I am still looking for something more. I ended up ordering a Platinum Grille. I haven't received it yet (maybe 1 more week?), but hope it looks nice on my White car.

guitarocker420
01-24-10, 01:04 PM
got mine painted at the end of summer lovin it makes the crest stand out the color is moonstone

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=513&pictureid=5388