: FG2 to QA1, anyone? Anyone?

thebigjimsho
05-15-09, 08:33 PM
Hey guys, I'd love to sit and chat but the V's rear end is up in the air and I'm installing the QA1s. I remember PISNUOFF or CTSV510 mentioning using the rear dust shields from the FG2(or FE4) when swapping over to the QA1. My rear QA1s have no bumpstops so I need to figure out how to do this without FUBARing it up.

If anyone has any pointers in this, that would be great.

trukk
05-15-09, 08:47 PM
WB :D

I have nothing to add regarding your question though :D

-Chris

darkman
05-15-09, 08:53 PM
Here is a thread where this was discussed (not a lot of detail though)...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/164497-woohoo-just-ordered-my-qa-1-a.html

thebigjimsho
05-15-09, 09:35 PM
Here is a thread where this was discussed (not a lot of detail though)...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/164497-woohoo-just-ordered-my-qa-1-a.html
I got the front QA1s on last week with the 650lb springs and it's pretty nice ridewise and great handlingwise.

For the rears, I just transferred over the hardware that came with the QA1s from the previous user. I took the dustshield that looks to have a built in stopper and drilled it out a tiny bit and reassembled. I have one side done and am about to get the other side together.

Ah well, I guess I'll let you know how it turns out by trial and error. Hopefully not so much error...

CTSV_510
05-15-09, 09:43 PM
Sorry man, I have no answers.

Good Luck though! :cheers:

c4ss
05-16-09, 12:35 AM
Welcome back bud :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
05-16-09, 01:24 AM
Well, I messed up. Got everything back together and things are clanking back there. At least it's very easy to pull the shocks. Ah well...

mpunklil
05-16-09, 01:35 AM
Im having suspension issues as well, check out my thread i just posted please

thebigjimsho
05-16-09, 08:56 PM
OK, next question. Does anyone have some hi-res(or just good quality) photos of the FG2 with GC hardware and QA1s with appropriate GC hardware.

My problem is that I didn't do the GC conversion with my FG2s. I studied the FAQ long and hard but I still FUBAR'ed it up. Nevermind that I had my father helping out and he disassembled the shock mounts on both the FG2 and QA1 while I wasn't there. Nice of him, but it really has me confused now...

(not like that's hard...)

SoJersey05V
05-17-09, 04:10 PM
ok... rather then make a new thread... i'm going to just add to this one... i have a few questions and want some help answering them..

1st.. going to order the qa1's and the GC kit... now i think i am understanding that the GC kit is only for the rear.. Correct? and it comes with eibach springs (w/e load cap i choose)

2nd... obviously doing qa1s in front also so i figure how do i do the front springs? buy eibachs? can i buy just front 2? or does GC offer them..?

and 3rd... i can see in the rear that the GC kit will allow me to adjust ride height in rear but what about for the front? how do i do this? because i dont want it to be too low... maybe 3/4"- 1" in front and make the rear level with that...

p.s. i have a 4th... spring rates... i understand these are personal preferrances but i want input... this is my DD, i drive super hard all of the time. and going to have a few track days soon.

thank you guys...

thebigjimsho
05-17-09, 06:32 PM
You buy GC and QA1s for all 4 corners. The Ground Control is adjustable at all 4 corners. The spring rates are whatever you want them to be. The springs are 10" tall by 2.5".

As for spring rates, I'm still feeling them out for the QA1s. For the FG2, a 500F/550R was perfect for me to track and drive long distances. For the QA1, I'm trying 650F/700R. I set the front QA1s to 7 clicks and they feel great with the 650. However, for the rear, 700 is pretty stiff. 3 clicks and I got a pogo effect. 7 clicks is pretty taut but definitely stiffer. I don't know how much I like it.

Nevermind that I don't have the rear mounts perfect yet. I'm still hoping someone will be able to help me with that. Point of note: don't buy used QA1s unless you have excellent suspension skills or unless they came with directions.

:sigh:

SoJersey05V
05-17-09, 11:14 PM
thank you much big jim! was a little puzzled on the fronts but now that you have cleared that up i think im good... as for spring rates i dont know what to get... never felt anything but stock on fe4s and i drive way to hard for that...so maybe 600f/650r mite be good...

all please chime in with input!!!

big jim i will dance at your next birthday for making my nite a lil easier..

thebigjimsho
05-18-09, 09:12 AM
The QA1s can go pretty soft. Since I was pretty happy with 500/550 springs on FG2s, I might try 550/600 or 600/650. You could even do 500/550 I guess.

SoJersey05V
05-18-09, 12:32 PM
yea i'm still debating what to go with... what do you think would be close to factory (meaning number on qa1s and spring rate) so that i can go a bit stiffer then that...

SuperVeee
05-18-09, 12:47 PM
yea i'm still debating what to go with... what do you think would be close to factory (meaning number on qa1s and spring rate) so that i can go a bit stiffer then that...

I would also be interested in the answer to your question as I have stock springs with FG2s that I want to replace with QA1s. I don't want to reinvent the wheel trying this and that - I just want the same feel with QA1s as I have with the FG2s.