: Detail Products

hXc95SLS
05-15-09, 12:07 PM
So Im pullin my V out of the garage for the second time this year. Im all out of detailing products. Anyone have good recomendations on any products to detail. Ie: Wax, tire shine, wheel cleaner, soap, towels, stuff like that. I wanna have her looking good for Memorial Day weekend:cool2:

6 SPEED Z
05-15-09, 12:15 PM
Man that's a loaded question on a car board. Plan on lots of different responses/what products to use. Most guys use Zaino for wax. Have to get it on-line (Zainobros.com). They make different products. McGuire's is good also. I use Zip car wash soap. Just my $.02

CTSV_510
05-15-09, 12:28 PM
Adams Polishes. http://www.adamspolishes.com/

SoJersey05V is a professional detailer for Adam's Polishes and I have seen him and his products in action. :2thumbs:

c4ss
05-15-09, 12:44 PM
Meguiars FTW.

gfourth
05-15-09, 12:44 PM
I've been using Zaino and I love it. I use the wax and car soap (the carsoap smells like candy!).

Ben.Peterson
05-15-09, 12:49 PM
I just recently purchased the "forum favorite" from AutoGeek and i love it... it has a 3 step process using two products from Klasse (german) and then finishing with Pinaccle Souveran. I took some pics of the results if anybody is interested: (i apologize for the pics sucking.. apparently i'm not a very good photographer)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/17649-2006-cadillac-sts-v-forum-fav-kit.html

I personally wouldn't buy any detailing stuff from any other company.. they have fast shipping, good prices and lots of support. (I am in no way affiliated with AutoGeek.. just a die-hard customer :) )

I have heard great things about Zaino as well

my .2c

deedubb
05-15-09, 12:57 PM
Anybody know anything good about these guys? http://www.griotsgarage.com/home.do?gclid=CNSulLnlvpoCFRMUagod7RgWrQ

malfeas99
05-15-09, 12:59 PM
I've spent a LOT of money and time on detailing products and techniques in the past few years, since my last four cars have been black. I consider myself a fairly well informed amateur.

Make sure you use a claybar on your car at least twice a year. If you've never done it you can't possibly imagine how rewarding the feel of a glass-smooth plane of paint is on your body panels without a hint of wax or sealant on it. It'll make anything you do afterwards much more effective and much more durable.

The rest of this is personal preference, take it or leave it as you like.

Zaino is, as far as I'm concerned, overrated. Some people dig the look, I find it underwhelming. I'm a sealant guy instead of a wax guy anyways (Zaino goes for the carnauba wax look regardless of what the product is actually made of). To that end, my recommendation (ESPECIALLY for dark colored cars) is Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. You will be positively STAGGERED when you see what it does to your paint. It's also incredibly durable (4-6 months) and unlike most synthetic polymer sealants, you can actually layer it for an even better shine, as long as you give it 12 hours to cure between coats. I've found 3 to be the sweet spot.

I just got my V not too long ago and was limping along with some NXT Tech Wax sealant because I ran out of Wolfgang but my new bottle just came in and I'll be going at it this weekend, weather permitting. I'll snap some pics if anyone's interested.

ahahnu
05-15-09, 01:33 PM
Anybody know anything good about these guys? http://www.griotsgarage.com/home.do?gclid=CNSulLnlvpoCFRMUagod7RgWrQ
The only stuff I use.

lollygagger8
05-15-09, 01:34 PM
Don't know what malfeas is talking about, Zaino is the best stuff I've ever used, and the polish Z-5 lasts forever. Even their car soap is tha bomb.

I never used a claybar before the V, but now I swear by them. Can't beat the look!! Doesn't really matter what brand either, just make sure you keep it lubricated. (I use car soap)

Doesn't matter what tire shine (anything but that spray foam garbage), just make sure you get the little foam applicator, and it'll be even. Spray it on the applicator, then smear it on the tire. Looks 1,000x better than a towel, or just spraying it on.

stuckey
05-15-09, 01:40 PM
Zaino polish, leather car, tire shine (unless its gotta be extra shiny), glass coat, detail spray eh pretty much everything.

MauiV
05-15-09, 02:05 PM
Griots is all that I use. My car currently has a lot of marking from someone trying to help me out with a California duster but it will be getting a full Griots workover when I get motivated.

Slithering_Joe
05-15-09, 02:19 PM
For the interior door panels, dash and weatherstripping I use Vinylex Protectant.
For the leather seat surfaces I use Coach Leather Moisturizer.
For the leather steering wheel I use Lexol Leather Conditioner. (It's not slippery.)
I've tried Meguiars, Mothers, 3M & Zymöl and I think they are all the same - just good nothing to brag about. I'm interested in trying the other brands mentioned here. I keep wanting to buy the clay bar but my skeptic side always puts it back on the shelf.
Turtle Wax Oxy Power Out! is great for stains.
Soft 100% cotton towels.

Waiting to read more reviews on car polishes, waxes, & sealers. :pop2:

your maker
05-15-09, 02:37 PM
zanio zfx is a sealant and works great!!

malfeas99
05-15-09, 03:33 PM
Don't know what malfeas is talking about, Zaino is the best stuff I've ever used, and the polish Z-5 lasts forever. Even their car soap is tha bomb.

I never used a claybar before the V, but now I swear by them. Can't beat the look!! Doesn't really matter what brand either, just make sure you keep it lubricated. (I use car soap)

Doesn't matter what tire shine (anything but that spray foam garbage), just make sure you get the little foam applicator, and it'll be even. Spray it on the applicator, then smear it on the tire. Looks 1,000x better than a towel, or just spraying it on.

Let's not put things out of perspective, remember the part where I said it was just my personal preference.

I did hours of research into Zaino products back in the day and I can totally understand the huge and rabid fanbase their stuff engenders. It's all very quality stuff and well known for its mythic durability and protection.

Then I found Wolfgang and never looked sideways at Zaino again. I find the finished product much more rewarding, striking, and just as durable. :)

V-Smooth
05-15-09, 04:12 PM
The only stuff I use.

I have to agree here. IMHO, Griots has the best product(s). If not Griots then Zaino (the auto soap does smell awesome!). I do like Meguiars mist and shine/wipe for that quick detail...

ahahnu
05-15-09, 04:42 PM
I have to agree here. IMHO, Griots has the best product(s). If not Griots then Zaino (the auto soap does smell awesome!). I do like Meguiars mist and shine/wipe for that quick detail...
Speed Shine after the car dries to get rid of water spots and give the waxy feel is so addicting.

ahahnu
05-15-09, 04:47 PM
For the interior door panels, dash and weatherstripping I use Vinylex Protectant.
For the leather seat surfaces I use Coach Leather Moisturizer.
For the leather steering wheel I use Lexol Leather Conditioner. (It's not slippery.)
I've tried Meguiars, Mothers, 3M & Zymöl and I think they are all the same - just good nothing to brag about. I'm interested in trying the other brands mentioned here. I keep wanting to buy the clay bar but my skeptic side always puts it back on the shelf.
Turtle Wax Oxy Power Out! is great for stains.
Soft 100% cotton towels.

Waiting to read more reviews on car polishes, waxes, & sealers. :pop2:
I never used a clay bar before this either. Check out Griots, clay bar/ speed shine combo. It feels like your car is waxed before you wax it. The clay bar gets all the little tar specks and raod grime off. Very noticeable if yoiu have a colored car (not black). If black, you will notice in your reflection when finished.

trhs75
05-15-09, 05:56 PM
I really like the Griot's products, but I've started going to a local store with custom products which also does mail order. Two of my favorite products are the leather conditioner and the satin finish tire and rubber dressing. That one is the first I've found that's not overly shiny. It simply makes the tires look clean and new. Check out the store and their many products at prevettes dot com. (I have no connection with the place other than being a customer.)

OldRoadDawg
05-15-09, 08:54 PM
Speed Shine after the car dries to get rid of water spots and give the waxy feel is so addicting.

Mm-m-m-m.... 'Speed Shine' :thumbsup: liquid crack

SoJersey05V
05-17-09, 03:18 PM
thanks for the props tom!!!! yes i have used 90% of the products out there and fell in love with adams polishes... check out the website and i'd be more then happy to answer any questions that the videos cant...

(it's extremely tough to explain what to do and in what order to do so over a forum post because simply every car has different issues.)

MauiV
05-17-09, 06:18 PM
IMO Speed Shine is THE BEST automotive detail product I have ever seen or used. The stuff is AMAZING. As long as your car isnt actually full blown dirty it is up to the task.

hXc95SLS
05-17-09, 08:51 PM
Wow, thanks guys. Ive been out all weekend. Now I come home to this! Thanks for all the input. She will be gettin the clay bar tretment sometime this week. And some serious wax and Meguirs Quick Detailer. Kills those annoying waterspots after washing. Love it.

SLPR 6.0L
05-17-09, 09:02 PM
Nothing like a waxing thread to get everyones blood pumping,,,,got my attention. I prefer Meguires NXT2

pveomett
05-18-09, 09:14 AM
I've tried almost everything that Griots Garage has, and I have yet to be dissapointed... Even their microfiber towels are the shit! I would suggest trying to buy smaller bottles of stuff untill you find a brand that you like. I know Griots has alot of travel size products.

lollygagger8
05-18-09, 09:54 AM
Let's not put things out of perspective, remember the part where I said it was just my personal preference.

I did hours of research into Zaino products back in the day and I can totally understand the huge and rabid fanbase their stuff engenders. It's all very quality stuff and well known for its mythic durability and protection.

Then I found Wolfgang and never looked sideways at Zaino again. I find the finished product much more rewarding, striking, and just as durable. :)

Ok gotcha man. I just didn't like Wolfgang Puck's restaurant, so I immediately assimilated the two :lol:

Jbawden
05-18-09, 10:29 AM
Been using Griots for 5 years, never buy anything else. Can't give a objective comparison with other brands (don't use them), but I get a lot of compliments about how good my car looks, which might have more to do with my OCD than any product.

JD03Cobra
05-18-09, 11:09 AM
Zaino is the best wax I have ever used...I have the claybar, carwash soap, and wax.

Griots came highly recommended from a few members here. I have tried a lot of the products. For me, I like the interior cleaners, and the speed shine which is amazing.

ahahnu
05-18-09, 04:48 PM
Been using Griots for 5 years, never buy anything else. Can't give a objective comparison with other brands (don't use them), but I get a lot of compliments about how good my car looks, which might have more to do with my OCD than any product.
I'm ahahnu and I have a problem. I'm addicted to speed shine. I carry the travel size (8oz) in my trunk with a microfiber towel in addition to the 35oz in the garage for post wash detail. I can't wait to go home and wash my car.:hide:

ahahnu
05-18-09, 04:50 PM
What do people use on the leather seats?

c4ss
05-18-09, 11:14 PM

I usually use the Mother's Leather Cleaner followed by the Mother's Leather Conditioner. Usually follow that up with Meguiars Rich Leather foam for the shine. Smells nice too :thumbsup:

hXc95SLS
05-19-09, 08:18 PM
I usually use the Mother's Leather Cleaner followed by the Mother's Leather Conditioner. Usually follow that up with Meguiars Rich Leather foam for the shine. Smells nice too :thumbsup:

I do the same with some Armor-all wips on the dash and head unit and down the center consol. That with the classic strawberry air freshenr AHHHHHHH!

Rockafella
05-19-09, 10:56 PM
I do the same with some Armor-all wips on the dash and head unit and down the center consol.

I use only mild soap and water on the interior. Unfortunately, Armor-all pulls the plasticizers out of the plastic, making it brittle and shiny.

Clay bar is great for removing the small rust spots oh the side of the car caused by the brake dust.

What do you guys use for the wheels? I have one wheel that the paint is chipping and I was wondering if was the cleaner, poor wheel finish, or both. I've been using the Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner.

ahahnu
05-19-09, 11:23 PM
My body shop suggested a 3M industrial concentrate wheel cleaner. I had to go to a Sherman Williams auto paint store for it.

Natedog
05-20-09, 08:34 AM
I'm in the middle of my ridiculous annual detail right now.
-Griots wash pad
-Grots MF dry towel
-First wash with gold class car soap then 2nd wash with blue dawn to strip old wax off
-Meguiars CLAY BAR<-- most important step, seriously
-meguiars scratch remover X - very impressed with this stuff but don't get terribly aggressivle cause it will move the paint
-Meguiars Step 2 Polish - essential for black cars.. Really deepens the color... Don't let it dry!
-Meguiars step 3 carnuba - 2 coats... wait for it to dry before removing

I'm 8 hours in and probably have 6 to go... yes, I need an orbital buffer!

rjoffe
05-20-09, 02:06 PM
Natedog,

You are right down the road from me (toll road), once you are all done, if you feel like doing a second car, I would happily let you detail mine :duck:

On a more serious note, you know any decent detailer in our area?

Ron

Natedog
05-20-09, 02:17 PM
i've heard good things about Perfect Auto Detail (i believe thats what its called) in Falls Church... buddy of mine took his explorer there and had the full scale service done to it and was very impressed... i'd call them though and double check what all is included and what type of polish/wax they are gonna use and if they will clay the car at all (if not, do the hood, front end, and all upward facing surfaces yourself before dropping it off... at least)

lollygagger8
05-20-09, 03:02 PM
Zaino FTW:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/n2havnfun2/caddybody2.jpg

Ben.Peterson
05-20-09, 03:23 PM
Zaino FTW:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/n2havnfun2/caddybody2.jpg

Souveran FTW:
http://www.shopbloc.com/images/ben/cadillac/DSCN3364.jpg
http://www.shopbloc.com/images/ben/cadillac/DSCN3372.jpg
http://www.shopbloc.com/images/ben/cadillac/DSCN3371.jpg

LOL.. sorry lolly... couldn't resist... not trying to pick a fight :hide:

lollygagger8
05-20-09, 03:32 PM
Souveran FTW:

LOL.. sorry lolly... couldn't resist... not trying to pick a fight :hide:

Lol, it's cool.....looks good man! :2thumbs:

I'm just glad I bought the fastest color!! :stirpot:

MauiV
05-20-09, 04:51 PM
Im in the middle of the process right now,

Dawn wash
Griots Claybar with SpeedShine
Griots Machine Polish #3 with
Griots Orbital

Still have about half the car to polish since it had a TON of swirl and still wax the whole thing with either Griots Best in Show, Mequires Gold, NTX or Mothers Carnuba. I have them all in the garage but undecided which to use right now.

Also need to polish the windshield and headlights and detail interior and engine bay.

Got dinner plans tonight so I will probably finish it tomorrow.

Natedog
05-20-09, 05:38 PM
How much time does the orbital cut out?

MauiV
05-20-09, 07:02 PM
The orbital is priceless and saves a LOT of time. Im just not using a really strong polish so some of the deeper marks are still visable but the wax should cover up most of that. I also have quite a few rock nicks in the hood and nose piece that I need to touch up.

ichpen
05-21-09, 12:36 AM
Any recommendations for wheel cleaning products for stock chrome? I have a bunch of winter crap, hardened brake dust that is a royal pain to remove. Need something industrial strength.

MauiV
05-21-09, 02:13 AM
I use Griots wheel cleaner and elbow grease. Once I rince and dry the car I use glass cleaner and microfiber to shine the rims up.

MauiV
05-21-09, 02:54 PM
My stash:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/Washed015.jpg

Results:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/Washed011.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/Washed012.jpg

lollygagger8
05-21-09, 03:08 PM
Daaaaayyyuuummmmm Maui.....that might be the orangepeelLESS GM paint ever

uwood
05-21-09, 03:25 PM
www.DFTdetails.com

Stuff is amazing. They are the exclusive detailer for the Mecum auctions. I was skeptical till we tried it on the 68 Chevelle. Amazing stuff.

c4ss
05-21-09, 04:12 PM
Pretty pictures Maui. Can't even tell what color the damn car is. It just looks like a mirror :thumbsup:

ahahnu
05-23-09, 11:38 AM
Did you know how to work a buffer before taking the plunge? Nice kit of all their goodies.

MauiV
05-23-09, 12:00 PM
Never used a buffer before. it does include an instructional video and I practiced on the hood of the Jeep that sat in the sun for 12 yeas, never in a garage.

hXc95SLS
05-23-09, 01:48 PM
Maui, thats the most amazing black raven Ive ever seen. Good job. Im headed out to the garage now for my weekend detailing. (After I take care of the womans Mazda) P.S. How many hours of work is that?

MauiV
05-23-09, 03:17 PM
Not really that many, the orbital cut it way down but i did do it over 2 days, Dawn wash, claybar and polish one day, speedshine to make sure its all clean and wax the next

ahahnu
05-28-09, 09:41 AM
A good detail is a two day job. Without a buffer and not doing the interior is usually 6-8 hours (wash, clay, paint sealant, and best of show wax.) I will be buying a buffer this summer!

AG'S-V
05-28-09, 09:48 AM
Just did an 8 hour Zaino job on mine this past weekend...kinda hard to get silver-metallic to shine like that but it looks AWESOME non-the-less!

AAIIIC
09-02-10, 10:30 AM
I thought I remembered a recent thread about cleaning/conditioning the leather, but I can't find it now. There are a couple of suggestions in this thread, but I figured I'd bump it up for some more inputs. Not surprisingly, all the passenger seats are in very good shape since they rarely have an occupant. The driver's seat is definitely showing signs of use, though, so I'd like to keep it from degrading.