: Last pickup truck has rolled off GM assembly line in Oshawa, Ont.

V-Eight
05-15-09, 11:36 AM
THE CANADIAN PRESS
May 14, 2009
OSHAWA, Ont. - The union is calling it a dark day for thousands of autoworkers in Oshawa, Ont., where a GM truck plant is shutting down after 44 years.
Chris Buckley, president of Canadian Auto Workers Local 222, says visiting the plant today was like going to a wake to pay final respects to a loved-one.
He says many workers had tears running down their cheeks as the last pickup truck rolled off the assembly line.
The plant is closing after churning out more than 10 million vehicles since 1965.
Buckley blamed all levels of government for the plant's closure and took specific aim at international trade policies for causing the auto industry to deteriorate.
The last truck will be raffled off to a plant worker and the money will be donated to charity.

-------

Damn, that sucks.

C&C
05-15-09, 11:45 AM
I thought the reason for closing was that the CAW wouldn't negotiate concessions with GM. (could be wrong here but I thought I remembered something to that effect)

Blackout
05-15-09, 12:00 PM
I thought the reason for closing was that the CAW wouldn't negotiate concessions with GM. (could be wrong here but I thought I remembered something to that effect)

IIRC the Canadians weren't willing the renegotiate for GM or Chrysler which to me is pretty damn stupid.

V-Eight
05-15-09, 12:21 PM
That's very stupid and because of that we just lost a plant. **** you CAW

Florian
05-15-09, 12:58 PM
:wambulance:

someone call whine one one.

F

V-Eight
05-15-09, 01:03 PM
Haha. I'm also wondering why they're giving the money to a charity, they're the ones who need money.

RightTurn
05-15-09, 03:25 PM
That makes me sad. Just think about how many times that is going to play out in the coming months. :(

creeker
05-15-09, 03:40 PM
The CAW has relinquished pay raises and benefits for quite a few years to try to keep things going,they are being used as scape goats, I'm sure the big boys in management are getting a big chunk of money. It also makes for good news mongering,I have no connections what so ever with the auto industry.

Caddyshack100
05-15-09, 07:08 PM
The Oshawa plant has nothing to do with the CAW not negotiating, rather this plant closing was announced two years ago when the subprime credit market hit the fan, 4 dollar gas and a cheaper place in Mexico to build them. Being an ex CAW employee (not auto) I can tell you that the membership will not allow the leadership to drown them, they will back down and settle, it may make no difference in the end as these jobs should be repatriated back to the States, after all these are American Cars. The Canadian Governments conditions for loans are that the employees match Toyota's labor costs, which is all well and good except what happens when Toyota tells THEIR staff that they are taking a pay cut in order to undercut the new North American rate. That is what is called a 'Race to the Bottom' and that is what the Union does not want except of course if they resist they will not have jobs at all a true Mexican Standoff

RightTurn
05-15-09, 08:25 PM
Hmmmm. A Mexican standoff in Canada. Whodathunkit?

Jesda
05-15-09, 10:17 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/095Ye4LbmJe0A/610x.jpg

Looks pretty intense.