: how often do you guys change your oil?

814V
05-14-09, 02:42 PM
i did some searching and all i could dig up was the regular cts guys talking about this. do you guys go by the "engine oil life" meter or just change it based off of milage. i know it never hurts to have fresh oil but i change mine every 3k. am i just throwing money out the window? does the meter just go off of milage?

derek

lollygagger8
05-14-09, 02:51 PM
3k - 4k even though I use Mobil 1 even though I think they say 6k. I'd rather spend a little more on oil and know my engine is nice, clean and happy

perfect
05-14-09, 02:56 PM
same as lollygagger

every 3-4k even with Mobil1, even though is should last much longer...better safe than sorry

814V
05-14-09, 02:59 PM
yea thats what i have been doing. ive been running this motul stuff and it really smooths out the motor. kinda expensive but i think its worth it

NormV
05-14-09, 03:13 PM
Oil life down to 0% which is about 7K miles. I get 9K out of my C5 and hope the same with 3.42 diff in the V. :)

Norm

ahahnu
05-14-09, 03:29 PM
Every 5 thou. Motul? Splain please.

nmaier2201
05-14-09, 03:32 PM
Every 5 thou. Motul? Splain please.

I would guess he's talking about this

http://garagespec.com/catalog/images/engine/engine_oil/300v%205-30.gif

EDIT: Hey it's got a "V" on it right? so it's gotta be good! :)

814V
05-14-09, 03:38 PM
I would guess he's talking about this

http://garagespec.com/catalog/images/engine/engine_oil/300v%205-30.gif

EDIT: Hey it's got a "V" on it right? so it's gotta be good! :)

yup thats the stuff! i am a motul dealer so i get a good deal on that stuff. best part is it smells like bananas. i found that stuff when i had my STI. they have a really bad idle vibration and i was talking with my motul rep who has one and he told me to try that stuff and i was amazed. never looked back and i figured the LS6 wouldn't mind it

i think it retails for right around $30 per 2 qts

gfourth
05-14-09, 03:41 PM
yup thats the stuff! i am a motul dealer so i get a good deal on that stuff. best part is it smells like bananas

So your car is lubricated by monkey juice?

I try to change mine every 4k or so, but my last change was about 6k. Mobil 1

ctsv154
05-14-09, 04:19 PM
I change my RP every 3-4k as well. I run RP XRP in the new eninge, about $15 a qt.

Slithering_Joe
05-14-09, 04:51 PM
For the street Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles. Any more often is overkill and a waste of money and oil. Plus, it's easy to remember multiples of 5000 for the next change.

c4ss
05-14-09, 05:36 PM
I don't understand why no one uses the oil life meter in the car like I do. The meter factors in all kinds of variables (IE: how many miles you drive the car, how hard you drive the car, engine temperatures, etc.) and logarithmically calculates oil life. I mean it's there for a reason. Don't get me wrong I change it more often than not, like before going to the track and never let it get below 10%, but I think it's a good guide :hmm:

rand49er
05-14-09, 06:22 PM
I've put 4,300 miles on my car since early May '08 (one year). I've changed the oil twice during that time. So, the oil changes are in terms of "months," not mileage. :D

Slithering_Joe
05-14-09, 06:26 PM
Lately, my OLM has hit ~25% at around the 5,000 mile mark. I feel more comfortable doing a 5,000 mile rotation than following an algorithm. But if the OLM read 1% before my 5,000 interval than I would probably change the oil immediately. ..but that's me.

OldRoadDawg
05-14-09, 06:37 PM
I don't understand why no one uses the oil life meter in the car like I do.
You're not alone.
I use Mobil 1. Modern lubricants are so much better than decades ago when the recommendation was developed to change your oil every 3K. Most auto mfgs even set the figure higher these days. It's just the oil companies that would like to see you change it every 3K. Wonder why??

I'm at 17% right now, which is about 6K, so I'll change it in the next week or two.

ccextra1976
05-14-09, 06:53 PM
I change mine about every 4K...unless I'm doing a long drive and it will go over that...

I use Amsoil

ahahnu
05-14-09, 07:17 PM
I've put 4,300 miles on my car since early May '08 (one year). I've changed the oil twice during that time. So, the oil changes are in terms of "months," not mileage. :D

That's it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Holy crap. I guess it's bitter sweet to use as a dd.

YoshiV
05-14-09, 07:25 PM
It depends, if I know I'm going to a track day I'll swap it out before I go. Coming off of winter like I am now it's down to 13% and my snow tires are still on...got some time off coming tho so that'll all change.

silver02stang
05-14-09, 07:31 PM

there are other factors that can break down oil - a trailer queen that see's shows and maybe 10mi/yr still needs regular oil changes

C66 Racing
05-14-09, 11:52 PM
I'm a fan of the OLM. My commute is very short and my OLM counts down pretty fast to about 20-25% after about 3k miles. Based on my used oil analysis reports, this is a little conservative and my oil, both AMSOIL and Mobil 1 had TBN remaining and could have gone farther. Based on watching how the OLM counts down, I suspect that if I soley did highway driving, the OLM would count down over about 10k miles or so. Based on this, I don't think any one number is the right way to go for everyone.

Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis Mobil 1 5w30 vs AMSOIL 0w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/TestResults/CTS-V%20AMSOIL%20UOA.htm)

verywhitedevil
05-15-09, 12:31 AM
i was told to do the oil changes 25-30% and all would be right with the gods. so, 814V, can I come by and pick up some banana juice??

branland
05-15-09, 12:57 AM
I changed mine between 3-4K. When I had my mustang and was blowing up the engines every few years, I noticed during rebuilds that there were no deposits inside the engine. The few times I knew the engine was going to go and extended the changes out to 6K-7k, I noticed that deposits were starting to form when I torn down the engine.

When I had oil cooled turbo the oil would go black in 500 miles so I started changing it every 2K.

814V
05-15-09, 12:59 AM
i was told to do the oil changes 25-30% and all would be right with the gods. so, 814V, can I come by and pick up some banana juice??

yea when do you wanna come get some? ill call my guy and tell him to bring us a few gallons

c4ss
05-15-09, 02:21 AM
yea when do you wanna come get some? ill call my guy and tell him to bring us a few gallons

mmmm. banana...

:banana:

NormV
05-15-09, 06:38 AM
Sounds about right on the max between changes. I drive 75% highway based on mileage and 26-27 mpg doing it. So the key to oil life are there: low rpms and no short trips where oil hasn't warmed up enough to boIl off gasoline and other byproducts of combustion. I do have to run it through the gears as the rpms will send some particles out the exhaust. You can smell it too! This is with stock operating temps year around in the Midwest.

Norm

I'm a fan of the OLM. My commute is very short and my OLM counts down pretty fast to about 20-25% after about 3k miles. Based on my used oil analysis reports, this is a little conservative and my oil, both AMSOIL and Mobil 1 had TBN remaining and could have gone farther. Based on watching how the OLM counts down, I suspect that if I soley did highway driving, the OLM would count down over about 10k miles or so. Based on this, I don't think any one number is the right way to go for everyone.

Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis Mobil 1 5w30 vs AMSOIL 0w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/TestResults/CTS-V%20AMSOIL%20UOA.htm)

Slithering_Joe
05-15-09, 09:20 AM
Before this sounds like I may be bashing AMSOIL, I am not. I am currently using AMSOIL gear oil in my differential and for the next gear oil change I will be using the same oil.
The graph you presented only shows two oil changes - one with AMSOIL and one with MOBIL 1. With this very small sample set conveniently shows AMSOIL the "better" product. I would take that chart more seriously if I saw more tests performed with alternating oil samples of AMSOIL and MOBIL 1. By reading the chart you provided, I conclude that the higher metal content detected may be due to the engine continuing to break-in which just happens to be lubricated with MOBIL 1. This immediately makes MOBIL 1 look like the "#2" oil. I've seen many of these oil analysis charts that compare the brand of oil out of a new engine to another brand preceding that analysis/oil change. More concurrent analysis samples of alternating AMSOIL/MOBIL 1 brands over a wider range of mileage would be needed on the same engine to conclude whether the higher metal content found in the oil is due to wear of the engine breaking-in or due to a "#2" oil. I don't want to start another "oil war" but it grabs me when statistics and lab results are presented in this manner.

ctsv154
05-15-09, 09:31 AM
I change mine every 3-4k as I stated earlier and I will continue to do so. Mainly because its issuance for a healthy engine and I spent to much on my engine not to insure its well being. Second, I like to make sure there are no unwanted metal particles floating around or stuck to the chip detector. If there are, I would rather find it early than to drive around with something wrong for an extra 3-4k miles and really tear something up that could have been prevented by simply checking the oil more often. I drive hard and I like the reassurance that the oil is always in good condition. Add in the WIX filter at every change and I'm happy and so is my engine.

AG'S-V
05-15-09, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the thread...I was wondering the same thing since this is my first vehicle with an oil life meter, usually ran 5k on my other vehicles with synthetics.

C66 Racing
05-15-09, 12:53 PM
I don't want to start another "oil war" but it grabs me when statistics and lab results are presented in this manner.

No offense taken and understand your point. I wasn't really out to prove that AMSOIL is better than Mobil 1 (though I believe that it is), but added the link to show that, for both Mobil 1 and AMSOIL, the OLM performed pretty (well based on TBN) adding to the topic of this thread.

I agree with you that to really show a fair comparison between the two, I'd have to swap back and forth, but as this really is my daily driver, and I may keep it for years, I'm going to use the oil I think is best. The only reason I had the Mobil 1 sample is that was what was in it from the dealership when I bought it as a used corporate car so I thought I'd test it and ensure the engine was doing okay. :cheers:

thewood
07-12-09, 09:40 AM
STS V8 NorthStar
Changing oil every three to four thousand miles is a waste of good oil but I did notice that I've been loosing about 1.5-2 mpg over the last two tank full.
I don't drive mine in the winter months. Last year I put about 6200 miles on it and the DIC said 50% life left. I just changed it (8 quarts and a AC/Delco Filter, 7 quarts came out of the oil pan) and it was still brown. My origional MPG is back to normal. Based on that, I'd recommend oil changes around 5g.

SkullV
07-12-09, 02:43 PM
STS V8 NorthStar
Changing oil every three to four thousand miles is a waste of good oil but I did notice that I've been loosing about 1.5-2 mpg over the last two tank full.
I don't drive mine in the winter months. Last year I put about 6200 miles on it and the DIC said 50% life left. I just changed it (8 quarts and a AC/Delco Filter, 7 quarts came out of the oil pan) and it was still brown. My origional MPG is back to normal. Based on that, I'd recommend oil changes around 5g.

Good info, but the Northstar is a completely different animal then the LS6/LS2. Interesting choice of thread resurrection though, what were you actually searching for?

CTSV_510
07-12-09, 02:46 PM
living on the prime meridian must make your brain fuzzy.

Paisan
07-12-09, 04:46 PM
Those who swear by M1, be very careful. There are different grades of "fully synthetic" motor oil. The ones you find in the Walmart (M1, Castrol, etc) are the very base level of synthetic motor oils. Also your filters are generally only good for about 3-4k miles if you use the generic filters out there (Fram, Purolator, etc). If you want the good stuff, you want to use Amsoil, Redline or Elf oil with the associated extended life oil filters that go with them. I am planning on running 5w30 Amsoil with their extended life oil filter. Redline is just more difficult to get ahold of in these parts.

-mike

rand49er
07-12-09, 05:01 PM
... filters are generally only good for about 3-4k miles if you use the generic filters out there (Fram, Purolator, etc) ...Boy, am I guilty of this! Been using Fram thinking all was well until tbjs and others gave me the Dickens for it. :duck: Ordered two Amsoil filters a few weeks ago, and they're sitting in the garage ready for my next two oil changes. No more Fram for me!

tdyguy2k
07-12-09, 06:57 PM
I go by the OLM. When it gets down around 20-25 I take it to the dealership where my brother works and have him change the oil.

lollygagger8
07-13-09, 10:24 AM
What about AC Delco oil filters......are they doo doo?

Paisan
07-13-09, 10:37 AM
Not sure about the AC Delco ones. Just came over from Subaru and Nissan. We run a subaru race/performance shop and race subies on track as well so mostly speaking from those experiences along with towing with my armada.

Also as far as I know, the RP is just dyed M1.

Mike

jnrandall
07-14-09, 12:03 PM
I follow the oil life meter and I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30. They are designed to provide protection and performance at extended oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Mobil 1 Extended Performance features extra performance additive that helps to provide outstanding protection during today's longer oil change intervals.

In my little mind, I still listen to the car AND I'm covered by the long life oil.

Paisan
07-14-09, 12:19 PM
Just swapped over from whatever was in it from the previous owner. Motor is significantly smoother with the Amsoil 5w30 in it. Also put in the Amsoil Torque Drive ATF in the trans and that is really smooth now!

-mike

ccextra1976
07-14-09, 09:29 PM
Boy, am I guilty of this! Been using Fram thinking all was well until tbjs and others gave me the Dickens for it. :duck: Ordered two Amsoil filters a few weeks ago, and they're sitting in the garage ready for my next two oil changes. No more Fram for me!

a very well deserved dickens..:histeric: maggie and fram are like oil and water:nono:

darkman
07-14-09, 09:43 PM
I follow the oil life meter and I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30. They are designed to provide protection and performance at extended oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Mobil 1 Extended Performance features extra performance additive that helps to provide outstanding protection during today's longer oil change intervals.

In my little mind, I still listen to the car AND I'm covered by the long life oil.

To those out of warranty it is irrelevant, but I believe Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 does not meet the 4718M (Corvette) specification prescribed in the owners manual as being required for the CTS-V.

If I recall correctly the 4718M specification has to do with high-temperature performance and the extra additive package in the extended performance apparently does not withstand high temperatures as well as its counter part (regular Mobil 1) that contains a smaller proportion of additives.

jnrandall
07-14-09, 09:59 PM
To those out of warranty it is irrelevant, but I believe Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 does not meet the 4718M (Corvette) specification prescribed in the owners manual as being required for the CTS-V.

If I recall correctly the 4718M specification has to do with high-temperature performance and the extra additive package in the extended performance apparently does not withstand high temperatures as well as its counter part (regular Mobil 1) that contains a smaller proportion of additives.

Didn't know that. Thanks!:worship:

SLPR 6.0L
07-14-09, 10:18 PM
5000 miles or 20 to 25% mark. I prefer Redline

C66 Racing
07-18-09, 01:13 PM

Not sure this is correct, but Mobil is pretty tight lipped about the Extended Performance and 4718M. In UOA that I've seen, the Extended Performance version of M1 outperforms the base version (which is the 4718M version). I suspect, but don't know, that GM pressured Mobil not to list 4718M on the Extended Performance version so as to prevent confusion of Vette (and CTS-V) owners as to which oil to use and how long to use it. The Extended Performance version is arguable the better of the two oils, they should use the same basestock, and the additives really shouldn't have anything to do with its high temp stability (that is more a function of the basestock and viscosity improvers which as they are both 5w30s should be nearly identical). So, I find it interesting that the EP version doesn't list 4718M.
:cheers:

darkman
07-18-09, 01:58 PM
Not sure this is correct, but Mobil is pretty tight lipped about the Extended Performance and 4718M. In UOA that I've seen, the Extended Performance version of M1 outperforms the base version (which is the 4718M version). I suspect, but don't know, that GM pressured Mobil not to list 4718M on the Extended Performance version so as to prevent confusion of Vette (and CTS-V) owners as to which oil to use and how long to use it. The Extended Performance version is arguable the better of the two oils, they should use the same basestock, and the additives really shouldn't have anything to do with its high temp stability (that is more a function of the basestock and viscosity improvers which as they are both 5w30s should be nearly identical). So, I find it interesting that the EP version doesn't list 4718M.

You may be right. I cannot know with certainty why Mobil1 Extended Performance either does not meet, or simply does not carry, the 4718M designation.
https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mobil1_EP_Trailblazer.aspx

I have used both Mobil1 and Mobil1 Extended Performance in different engines in the past and subjected both to used oil analysis. Based on that used oil analysis, I no longer use either.

Slithering_Joe
07-18-09, 03:18 PM
You may be right. I cannot know with certainty why Mobil1 Extended Performance either does not meet, or simply does not carry, the 4718M designation.
https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mobil1_EP_Trailblazer.aspx

I have used both Mobil1 and Mobil1 Extended Performance in different engines in the past and subjected both to used oil analysis. Based on that used oil analysis, I no longer use either.

Tell us more. :pop2:

darkman
07-18-09, 03:51 PM
Tell us more. :pop2:

The oil analysis for my various engines (cars, motorcycle, and generator) is done by an engineer under a confidentiality agreement which does not permit me to give out details. Additionally that particular service provider is not an authorized vendor of this forum.

ahahnu
07-18-09, 04:18 PM
Things that I ponder about this is when reading labels of various products they say manufactured for or under licence... Amsoil does it all for themselves. But if they are so great, how come it's not a standard? I think I'm gonna give that a try next time. Maybe even a Amsoil filter! :eek:

Slithering_Joe
07-18-09, 09:02 PM
The oil analysis for my various engines (cars, motorcycle, and generator) is done by an engineer under a confidentiality agreement which does not permit me to give out details. Additionally that particular service provider is not an authorized vendor of this forum.

So, why won't you use Mobil1 anymore? Since you mention it you might as well give us a hint. No offense, but if your 'data' is from the forums of "BITOG" then it's all hearsay.

C66 Racing
07-18-09, 09:16 PM
But if they are so great, how come it's not a standard?

I suspect that the large oil companies give the car companies a huge break on pricing (maybe to the point of free?) that as a small manufacturer, AMSOIL probably could not make cost effective. If you do decide to try AMSOIL, please drop me a PM so I can make sure you get the best pricing.

P.S. Here is another FAQ from Mobil with a vague answer as to why the EP isn't labeled to meet 4718M. This answer implies that the oil meets the standard, but isn't labeled as such.

"Question:
Explain Why Mobil 1 Extended Performance Not GM4718M Certified
Can you please explain the difference between GM6049M and GM4718M? I have read several answers on this site that state that using the extended performance Mobil 1 will work just as well as regular Mobil 1. I just want to understand what is different between the two specs, and what about the extended performance does not allow it to be GM4718M certified. Thanks, Clint
-- Clint Kline, Anderson, IN

Answer:
GM 6094M is based on the same specifications as ILSAC GF-4 but additionally includes some specific GM requirements. GM 4718M is the GM high performance oil specification that goes well beyond the industry standard ILSAC GF-4 and API SM specifications. The Mobil 1 grades that carry GM 4718M have been fully approved and tested against GM 4718M. The companion Mobil 1 Extended Performance viscosity grades have not been formally approved against GM 4718M but will provide the performance at GM 4718M level. Engine testing required to get formal approval is limited to certain Mobil 1 products only."

darkman
07-18-09, 09:27 PM
So, why won't you use Mobil1 anymore? Since you mention it you might as well give us a hint. No offense, but if your 'data' is from the forums of "BITOG" then it's all hearsay.

My data is not from the internet nor any forum. It is rather provided directly to me based on my used oil from my equipment. My results are not necessarily indicative of the results others might get in their equipment. I only mentioned it to indicate that I hold no bias in favor either version of Mobil1.

Finally, if your point is that I should have left it unsaid - I agree.

Paisan
07-20-09, 12:21 AM
Just a side note, I was up at Pocono Raceway and did 3 days on track with the V. Amsoil did not burn a single drop, and it's just as clean as when it went in last week.

-mike

atdeneve
07-20-09, 01:02 AM
Darkman, what have you switched to?

joebotics
10-08-09, 06:34 PM
yup thats the stuff! i am a motul dealer so i get a good deal on that stuff. best part is it smells like bananas. i found that stuff when i had my STI. they have a really bad idle vibration and i was talking with my motul rep who has one and he told me to try that stuff and i was amazed. never looked back and i figured the LS6 wouldn't mind it

i think it retails for right around $30 per 2 qts

Hey fellas, I see that there are two versions of this Motul Oil, the "Streel Oil 8100" and the "Racing 300V" I own a CTS 2007 2.8L ... can I use this "Racing 300V" in my engine?...

Thanks a lot fellas!...