: Tire Rack Specs

bpm
05-14-09, 11:58 AM
I'm comparing the specs on the PS2's, GS-D3, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star and the specs on the Dunlop surpass both. Does Tire Rack inflate these numbers to sell inventory they make more margin on? Has anyone used these tires and can vouch for them? I'm looking for the most sticky tires don't care about tread life.

rjoffe
05-14-09, 03:05 PM
Toyo R-888

thebigjimsho
05-16-09, 02:02 AM
I'm comparing the specs on the PS2's, GS-D3, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star and the specs on the Dunlop surpass both. Does Tire Rack inflate these numbers to sell inventory they make more margin on? Has anyone used these tires and can vouch for them? I'm looking for the most sticky tires don't care about tread life.
I always find the Tire Rack to honest and accurate. Even though I could buy tires locally for about the cost of getting them through Tire Rack, I always go through Tire Rack. I have PS2s on my V and my brother has Star Specs on his Saab 9-2X. Both are truly kickass tires...

bpm
05-16-09, 07:22 PM
I cant find Toyo R888 in 245/45/R18. Whats the optimal size for performance NOT looks.

245/40/R18
255/35R18
265/35R18
275/35R18
275/40R18

thebigjimsho
05-16-09, 08:48 PM
I cant find Toyo R888 in 245/45/R18. Whats the optimal size for performance NOT looks.

245/40/R18
255/35R18
265/35R18
275/35R18
275/40R18
The R888s are an R-compound. You will almost never see slicks or an R-compound in the 245/45 18 size. You'll need to go to 245/40 18 and if you prefer staggered, 275/35 18 for the rear.

For some makes of race tires, you can try 255/40 18, and 285 or 275/35 18 for the rears...

rjoffe
05-16-09, 09:22 PM
I'm running 265/35R18 on the team dynamics wheels. You would have to go a bit narrower for the stock rims, they run very wide, you can find the actual specs on width on the toyo site. I'm sure a 245/40R18 would fit just fine.

trhs75
05-17-09, 01:01 AM
I'm leaning more toward tread life than stickiness. I've been very happy with Tire Rack in the past; I just ordered Goodyear Eagle F1 GS2 tires which I'm not quite ready for, but at $99 each I couldn't pass them up....

AAIIIC
05-17-09, 08:28 AM
I'm comparing the specs on the PS2's, GS-D3, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star and the specs on the Dunlop surpass both. Does Tire Rack inflate these numbers to sell inventory they make more margin on?
If by "specs" you're talking about the ratings for wet performance, dry performance, etc etc, notice that at the top of those ratings it says "CUSTOMER SURVEY DATA". In other words, it's subjective data compiled from customers who have filled out TR's online survey. Having talked to many people about tires over the years, I've learned that an awful lot of people know jack shit about tires, thus I don't put much stock in TR's User Survey data. What I do put a lot of stock in is TR's head-to-head testing - same car, same track, same day testing with objective performance data and subjective ride and handling comments from guys who do lots of tire testing.

A great example of the difference is the General Exclaim UHP, which for a looong time was the #1 rated Ultra High Performance Summer Tire in the User Survey. It's still ranked #5 by the buyers (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP). But when you look at how it actually performs in head-to-head testing (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMake=General&tireModel=Exclaim+UHP&tirePageLocQty=), it falls behind two tires that (according to the User Survey results) are "inferior" - ranked #9 and #18.

bpm
05-17-09, 01:55 PM
I'm happy if I get a good 2 months out of the tire. If I wanted tread life over performance I wouldn't get this car. Hopefully the R888's aren't all over the road before they warm up.

thebigjimsho
05-17-09, 02:27 PM
If by "specs" you're talking about the ratings for wet performance, dry performance, etc etc, notice that at the top of those ratings it says "CUSTOMER SURVEY DATA". In other words, it's subjective data compiled from customers who have filled out TR's online survey. Having talked to many people about tires over the years, I've learned that an awful lot of people know jack shit about tires, thus I don't put much stock in TR's User Survey data. What I do put a lot of stock in is TR's head-to-head testing - same car, same track, same day testing with objective performance data and subjective ride and handling comments from guys who do lots of tire testing.

A great example of the difference is the General Exclaim UHP, which for a looong time was the #1 rated Ultra High Performance Summer Tire in the User Survey. It's still ranked #5 by the buyers (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP). But when you look at how it actually performs in head-to-head testing (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMake=General&tireModel=Exclaim+UHP&tirePageLocQty=), it falls behind two tires that (according to the User Survey results) are "inferior" - ranked #9 and #18.That is true. However, many here would be the same way. They just want a tire many people liked and didn't go for every tested number. For the rest of us, it's pretty easy to weed out the comments by people who aren't enthusiasts.

I use TireRack's feedback survey to get the gist of how a tire performs. That, and their own subjective tests.