: I want to race the cops!

Krashed989
05-13-09, 11:38 PM
In florida...

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Florida-Officers-Battle-Drivers-in-Legal-Street-Races/1$46460

V-Eight
05-13-09, 11:41 PM
Gonna be so many ricers getting raped lol.

Rodya234
05-14-09, 12:20 AM
Cop cars aren't actually that fast. Both the current Impala and the Crown Vic's are only 240hp, and the last gen Impala was only 180hp! GM doesn't even offer the Impala SS 5.3L 303hp V8 on the police package. Cops win chases not because of whats under the hood, but because it's impossible to outrun a radio.

V-Eight
05-14-09, 12:31 AM
Isn't that before they chip them? How much torque does each have? Keep in mind that most ricers make like 150hp because the only upgrades are a big muffler or body kit.

Rodya234
05-14-09, 12:53 AM
They don't chip police cars for performance, that's just a myth. In fact the computer on Crown Vic's actually limits it to 120mph.

The current Impala is making 240lb-ft of torque, while the Crown Vic is making 287lb-ft. As of 2005 the CV makes 250hp by the use of the intake from the Mercury Marauder.

My dad used to work at the City of Chicago Dept. Of Fleet Management, where they buy, spec, and repair all city owned vehicles. Other then heavy duty parts to increase service life and some safety features, police vehicles the exact same car as the civilian version. In fact the exact same Crown Vics they sell to law enforcement are the cars they sell to Taxi cab companies; just look for the "Police Interceptor" sticker on the trunk lid.

the cadillac kid
05-14-09, 01:59 AM
I remember reading somewhere of a cop on a high-speed chase & stating that his car governed out at 130, so i don't think they're chipped.

(read this. classic.)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/107514-142-mph-75-mph-i-need.html

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-14-09, 03:05 AM
Ford used to make two version of the Police Interceptor. There was the standard Police Interceptor but they also used to make a Police Interceptor Pursuit Vehicle. However, I am not too sure about this. I want to say the Pursuit ones came with the 5.4, but once again I am not positive. The standard Police Interceptors, however, can have optional higher final gear ration though. They also have aluminum drive shafts, making them slightly faster than their civilian counterparts.

You may be able to outrun a Crown Vic, but this one will be hard to beat. These suckers were chipped and had no speed limiter and was available in a 6 speed manual. The 5.0 Stangs were not shabby either.

http://sattlers.org/mickey/site/archive/2003/03/images/2003-03-chp-camaro.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5T19lBXxToM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5T19lBXxToM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XdYuAC0oEAY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XdYuAC0oEAY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mbnv992
05-14-09, 08:52 AM
The Ford Crown Victoria's do NOT have a "chip" in them. As was said before, it's a myth. I've owned a 2005 CVPI, and was somewhat fast, but a 2004 V6 CTS could very easily blow it away. Most of the CVPI's have 3.55 rear gears. The 1999 CVPI's had no speed limiter from the factory, the current ones are limited to somewhere around 133 or so. But, to say the CVPI's are fast is definitely not so. Just look around crownvic.net, and you will learn a great deal on the used/new police interceptors !

Rodya234
05-14-09, 08:53 AM
Some highway patrol units get some actually good cars, like 'Vettes, Charger R/T's and such. The usually only get few of those though, mainly because they cost more (in both factory cost and maintenance) then regular patrol cars. Why pay money to modify cars when you can get 20 new crown vic's at $18,000 a piece?

And of course most municipal police forces never get fast pursuit cars because they don't expect to chase people down the interstate.

V-Eight
05-14-09, 09:09 AM
Yeah, Police Camaros are awesome. I heard there may be some new Camaros added to police fleets in some areas.

Krashed989
05-14-09, 03:54 PM
Over here the police force has a strict budget which makes it so most of the cops just lease vehicles for themselves and then strap a light to the top when they're on duty. You'd be amazed at how many cops are riding around in new mustangs, and charger r/t's. I've even seen some cops driving toyota camry's and honda accord's. I think they're not allowed to have 4 bangers for work though.

It's bugging me that the link I posted isn't clickable... So here's a clickable version. The video is pretty cool. There are some crazy police equipped cars on that track. I wouldn't want to run from them!
http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Florida-Officers-Battle-Drivers-in-Legal-Street-Races/1$46460

the cadillac kid
05-14-09, 06:35 PM
There was a kid in my high school who had just got a new mustang. It was a dark night & from what I understand he only saw headlights, not the whole car.

So... he starts racing this car--turns out, it's a cop. :lol: I don't remember what the ticket looked like, but I can't imagine it was good

MauiV
05-14-09, 06:49 PM
Would be more fun on a road course.

CTSV_510
05-15-09, 12:04 AM
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/110539.jpg

the cadillac kid
05-15-09, 12:36 AM
[cracks-knuckles] i got this.

Krashed989
05-15-09, 01:35 AM

Daaaaaaammmmmnnnn!!!! That's a nice cop car!!! :drool:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-15-09, 02:51 AM
There was a kid in my high school who had just got a new mustang. It was a dark night & from what I understand he only saw headlights, not the whole car.

So... he starts racing this car--turns out, it's a cop. :lol: I don't remember what the ticket looked like, but I can't imagine it was good

I know a kid who owns a 12 second Trans Am that did the same thing. A plain, civilian looking Camaro pulled alongside him on the highway and the driver tried to get him to race. He did and got pulled over about a mile further down the road. They arrested him for reckless driving (like 50 over the posted speed limit) but the case was dismissed because it was considered entrapment.

V-Eight
05-15-09, 01:35 PM
I know a kid who owns a 12 second Trans Am that did the same thing. A plain, civilian looking Camaro pulled alongside him on the highway and the driver tried to get him to race. He did and got pulled over about a mile further down the road. They arrested him for reckless driving (like 50 over the posted speed limit) but the case was dismissed because it was considered entrapment.

That's a pretty dick move on the cops part. Glad to hear your friend got out of it though.

Holy jeez that beats the crap out of any Crown Vic, or Impala, or Charger, or Mustang................hell that beats everything!

jey
05-15-09, 03:48 PM
You can make any car fast in a straight line with the right mods. I want to see a blown Crown Vic with a 5.4 swap. A 13-second cop car would be pretty bad ass.

the cadillac kid
05-15-09, 08:30 PM
13 seconds isn't exactly "fast." There are a good number of cars on the roads today that are '13 second cars' straight from the factory.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-15-09, 08:34 PM
13 seconds isn't exactly "fast." There are a good number of cars on the roads today that are '13 second cars' straight from the factory.

Granted, but how many of those cars are affordable for guys our age?

the cadillac kid
05-15-09, 08:36 PM
...you'd be surprised, chad.

but, who said anything about our age? I was more-so talking about the cars on the road.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-15-09, 08:37 PM
Hmm. Fastest brand new car under $25,000? Cobalt SS. And I think those are still like a low 14 second car? Right?

the cadillac kid
05-15-09, 08:50 PM
Hmm. Fastest brand new car under $25,000? Cobalt SS. And I think those are still like a low 14 second car? Right?

yeah the cobalt is a 14 second car.
mazdaspeed3 is a 13 second car, cheap.
You can pick up a c5 vette, ls1 trans am or camaro for way under 25k.
Used M-cars, LS6 CTS-V's, G35s, s4, AMGs are all going for under 25k nowadays.

that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there area long list of other cars under 25k that can run a 13 second 1320 unmolested.

..and a ton more that are valued at more than 25k.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-15-09, 09:29 PM
Right, but as far as *brand new* cars goes, the Mazdaspeed3 is the only one.

Night Wolf
05-15-09, 09:43 PM
Over here the police force has a strict budget which makes it so most of the cops just lease vehicles for themselves and then strap a light to the top when they're on duty. You'd be amazed at how many cops are riding around in new mustangs, and charger r/t's. I've even seen some cops driving toyota camry's and honda accord's. I think they're not allowed to have 4 bangers for work though.

It's bugging me that the link I posted isn't clickable... So here's a clickable version. The video is pretty cool. There are some crazy police equipped cars on that track. I wouldn't want to run from them!

LOL! I remember that when I visited my friend on the big island.

FWIW, Vic's did not come with the 5.4. No Pather did. That'd be one heck of a car tho!

Rodya234
05-15-09, 10:25 PM
When my dad still worked at Fleet they let him have a Caprice 9C1 (other then the Illinois "M" plate, it was unmarked, painted black) as a take home car, that we could basically do whatever we wanted with. It had all the cop stuff, lights and sirens, radio, full police suspension, everything. It's 4.3L V8 was pretty good, but it didn't have the LT1 option, which made the 4.9L Deville it shared the driveway with the faster of the two. But its best feature, out of anything, was that if we took it to the city refueling station a couple blocks from my house, gas was 100% free. :highfive:

I wonder if I could find a picture of it........

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-15-09, 10:30 PM
Granted, but how many of those cars are affordable for guys our age?

My friend bought is Iroc for $3k and has put about $1000 into it since (exhaust, PCM and cam) and it should easily be a low 13 second car, especially after we rebuild the posi and up the gear ratio.

the cadillac kid
05-16-09, 01:47 AM
Right, but as far as *brand new* cars goes, the Mazdaspeed3 is the only one.

Correct, brand new, the ms3 is the only a sub $25k car capable of 13s. But why do the cars we're talking about have to be new cars?
The statement was "13 seconds isn't that fast considering many of the cars on the road today can do 13s in stock trim."
I have an LS1 that I'm the 2nd owner of; I didn't buy it new off the dealer lot, but I still drive it on public roads every day... and it ran 13s stock.

a 13 second quarter mile isn't all that unique. There are not all that many 11 second cars on the roads though.

na' m33n?

the cadillac kid
05-16-09, 01:49 AM
...you'd be surprised, chad.

but, who said anything about our age? I was more-so talking about the cars on the road.

that's weird. The 2nd portion of my original post in this quote isn't showing up in the thread, but does when I quote it :hmm:

it is supposed to say:
[ Q U O T E = the cadillac kid; 1878487 ]...you'd be surprised, chad.

but, who said anything about our age? I was more-so talking about the cars on the road. [ / Q U O T E ]