: 25000 tranny fluid service???

max77srx
05-13-09, 10:17 PM
I am somewhat confused. I am going to my dealer
to perform Maintenance I service at 28500 and I was informed that the transmission fluid will need to be replaced as well. I was told that here in Fla this is recommended service at approximately every 25000 miles. My computer shows 83% life left. This gentleman also mentioned the power steering fluid (I checked it and it looks good to me). I live in Tampa Bay area and I service my SRX at Dimmitt Cadillac. According to the Owner's Manual, the transmission fluid
should not require any action until 100.000 service (or 50000 in sever driving conditions). Please advise. Thank you.

Spyke
05-13-09, 10:25 PM
I wouldhave to say wait for another 20k miles for the transmission flush. And for the power steering fluid..depends.. I do it because I want to, but lets say every 3 or 4 years, change it. I had a dodge intrepid and I never flushed the power steering fluid and kept the car for more than 250k miles. Its up to you but for the transmission, I would wait at least another 20k miles

sgilbert
05-13-09, 10:25 PM
"Please advise. Thank you" Ditch this dealer! FAST!! No tranny service needed (unless you have problems) for 100k! They're trying to scam you!

carguy2009
05-14-09, 01:21 AM
The dealer might have a point if you pulled a trailer or spent large blocks of time in traffic on hot days. Heat is the killer of transmission fluid and transmissions. My guess is sales are slow and the dealer needs to make some money with service!

david1
05-14-09, 06:39 AM
2 choices a tranny rebuilder told me once

1) change fluid every -30K or so

2) never change fluid

Mercedes tried the 100K "unserviceable" transmission fluid in the ML's. Most last to approx. 104K miles then the fluid is changed when they replace the trans LOL honest.

edvanp
05-14-09, 08:10 AM
2 choices a tranny rebuilder told me once

1) change fluid every -30K or so

2) never change fluid

Mercedes tried the 100K "unserviceable" transmission fluid in the ML's. Most last to approx. 104K miles then the fluid is changed when they replace the trans LOL honest.

I've had the same thing said to me. If you are going to change it, do it every 30-40k, otherwise, leave it alone. I believe BMW has/had this policy in place on some of their cars with similar results as mercedes. The tranny is shot around 125k miles. I bought a used 530i (2002) with 93k on it and the first fluid change I did was on the tranny at a local Cottman Autoshop. He said the tranny looked good, but the fluid was about spent (brown color instead of red). My wife's 05 SRX has 33k miles on it and the Life Monitor says it's at 82%. I'll have the fluid changed at 40k. Cottman charges $65 to do. Worth it in my opinion.

max77srx
05-14-09, 07:00 PM
$65 for transmission fluid change? My dealer is asking $235 for fluid and filter replacement. Are you sure they are talking about changing it not flushing?
If this is the correct quote ... where is that cottman place ? Is this Cadillac dealer? Jiffy Lube is charging $119 for flush in my area ...

edvanp
05-15-09, 09:54 AM
I paid a bit more for my BMW because it was, well, a BMW :suspect:, but it also required Synthetic?. Normally, they are $59 (paid that for Grand Caravan and a 02 Bravada), so with tax, $65. I'll call and verify the price. They didn't flush, no, just changed the fluid and filter. They recommended this instead of the flush, especially on the Grand Caravan we had. A flush can sometimes do more harm then good (I've had a couple of tranny mechanics tell me that). $235 seems high, but I guess that would be inline for a Cadillac dealership!

Ed

SaltyCadi
05-15-09, 12:10 PM
Hello! I am new to this forum. I just bought my wife a 2009 srx4 2 weeks ago. I love it and so does she. With that said.....I drive a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500. I have owned it since 2001 and it has 239,000 miles on it. Listed below is the items many do not believe.
1. I have never changed the automatic transmision fluid ... nor have i had to add any.
2. The only part from the engine I have had to replace was the alternator...and that was 2 months ago.
3. I am still on the same a/c compressor and original freon.
4. I do change the oil....but only at every 5000 miles or so.
5. All other electronics are orginal and still work (windows, locks, keyless entry, radio)
Now for the only big problem I have had......The front wheel hub bearings.....I have had to replace the drivers side 4 times and the other side 2 times.
I keep getting told that if I continue to brag on this truck....something will go wrong....oh well....its been a great truck.
Thanks for all the info you guys give here.

conedoctor
05-15-09, 12:34 PM
We have had our 04 for almost two years now and the tranny life went from like 80% to 76%, we are going to sell this car before I ever have to change :)

z06bigbird
05-19-09, 10:32 AM
That service writer has a house payment coming up. Maybe a boat payment too.

Personally, I change tranny fluid about every 30k miles. Getting ready to do tranny fluid and rear end fluid on my CTS.

cfishkin
05-20-09, 12:00 AM
62K miles, 67% left.

edvanp
07-06-09, 08:02 AM
I just had this done on my 05 V6 AWD. Cost was approx. $125. Half of the cost was for the Dexron 6 tranny fluid, the other half for labor (took about 40 minutes). Mileage was 36k and the tranny monitor said 81%. Being almost 5 years old (sold late '04), changing the fluid made sense. Personally, I think it's shifting much smoother then it did before, especially when it's cold first thing in the morning. Piece of mind I guess, I'll likely do the next one around 75k.

nascarnation
07-07-09, 10:17 PM
$65 for transmission fluid change? My dealer is asking $235 for fluid and filter replacement. Are you sure they are talking about changing it not flushing?
If this is the correct quote ... where is that cottman place ? Is this Cadillac dealer? Jiffy Lube is charging $119 for flush in my area ...

I worked on developing automatics for 25 yrs at Allison and learned a bit.

Avoid flushing machines for normal service (the beneficial use of them is when you've had a trans failure and want to backflush the cooler and lines).
They are used by quick lube folks who don't want to be bothered pulling the trans oil pan to replace the internal filter.

As for service costs, the filter kit is 43 bucks on rockauto which is typically as good a price as you find anywhere. Petroleum based fluid is about $4/qt these days, and synthetics are more. The FSM says 9 quarts. You can do the math. GM conveniently provides a drain plug on the 5L40/50 series but no fill tube so you have to pump the fluid in the side of the case from underneath.

I'd be inclined to change every 50,000 miles to be cautious, but the computer algorithm calculating life is quite good.

Allison developed a bulletproof ATF called Transynd for use in applications like city buses and refuse trucks. It's fully Dexron compatible, and works great in Hydramatics. It's somewhat difficult to find, not really a consumer item, they have it at Allison distributors.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp/172/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=3

robhersch
07-08-09, 03:04 AM
Our 2 trans service stories:

1) Dealer - should flush and refill trans regularly (30k mi); $250 to flush and change fluid, (they do not replace trans filter since flush also cleans filter ??); they do not recommend synthethic since fluid change cannot be complete without trans mechanical disassembly;

2) Local quality trans shop - not recommend flush since all fluid cannot be replaced without disassembly; they remove cover, replace filter, remove and replace fluid ~ $150; again not recommend synthetic

Any one out there with good answer to "flush" vs "drain & replace filter" ???
Thanks in advance

c5 rv
07-08-09, 09:32 AM
My mechanic used to be a "drain & replace filter" fan, but has begun leaning toward flushes. He said that opening up the trans can introduce more dirt into the trans than you remove. He's looking into a Valvoline franchise and said they are offering corporate 200K mile trans warranties with regular flushes.

nascarnation
07-08-09, 09:30 PM
He said that opening up the trans can introduce more dirt into the trans than you remove.

That's sort of like saying eating fresh vegetables "can" result in ingesting a bunch of dirt.

dmount
07-09-09, 02:02 AM
I worked in a tranny shop for a couple of years, and I don't trust the flush either. I'd much prefer to drop the pan and replace the filter then refill. Most of the oil is in teh torque converter, not the trans body and pan. If the fluid is brown and smells burnt, it's a different story. think I would go for a flush, but also drop the pan when done and replace the filter. Auto trannys produce very small aluminum shavings during use, that end up in the pan and filter. It just makes sense to me to clean teh pan and replace the filter. The only transmissions I've ever lost were Dodge front wheel drive units and they were know for failure, even with recommended service.