: Wheel shake when braking

Nerryon
05-13-09, 08:05 PM
Hi I have a 04 CTS and when i am on the highway at very high speeds and press on my brakes to reduce speed, I notice that my steering wheel vibrates and now I can hear the brakes squeaking when i press on the brake pad. I had the car for 2 yrs, never change the rotors and I am not sure if they were replace before I bought the car, I did however change the Brake pads a couple months after I bought the car. Do you think there is a need to change the rotors or maybe I can just get them cut.

Thank you very much

txbest1980
05-14-09, 05:55 AM
check and see if they have a lip on the edge of them...if they do, replace them or have them shaved...but as far as the steering wheel shaking, how fast are you typically going when you are hitting the brakes to slow down?

Nerryon
05-14-09, 11:20 PM
If i'm doing between 65 and 75 mph and try to reduce speed, I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel and sometimes also in the break pad. I had the car for two years and never change the rotors just the brake pads. So do you think that could be a reason why it shakes a little when reducing from high speeds?

txbest1980
05-15-09, 08:55 AM
that could definitely be a reason for the shaking...

C&C
05-15-09, 11:57 AM
Warped rotors is the most likely scenario but it could also be worn front suspension parts. Hoping it's just the rotors, then it would be a matter of resurfacing (if you have enough material left) or replacement.

93eldodave
05-30-09, 11:13 AM
C+c is right the rotors are warped.. and it may be better to just replace them with new ones as they are kinda cheap..

T.Jones
01-28-10, 01:51 AM
Hitting those brakes at high speeds warms them up. Slamming on the brakes, or hitting the brakes while going over a pothole will warp them in a heartbeat.