: Tires slipping on rims??

CTS-Voodoo
05-13-09, 05:22 PM
So apparently I own a dragster, the cars rear tires keep coming out of balance. I have never had this problem in the past, even with monstrous ol skool big block engines. Is there anyway (short of bead lockers) that I can keep the tires from slipping on the rims and forcing me to balance this thing every three weeks?

lollygagger8
05-13-09, 05:30 PM
They used to run screws in to the tires/rims back in the day. Bead locks, but that would be ugly as hell.

Are your weights coming off? Is that why they are going outta balance ?

814V
05-13-09, 05:46 PM
are your wheels painted/powdercoated?

ctsv154
05-13-09, 06:02 PM
My car would constantly sling weights over 90. The tire shop would never clean the inside of the wheels to install the stick on weights and they would come right off. Now I clean the inside of the wheel before I go to the shop and no more problems. Just for grins, take a wax pencil and draw a small line on the wheel and the tire. See if they spin. If they do, I dont know what to tell you. My guess is the weights.

nuyorkah
05-13-09, 06:19 PM
Is there anyway (short of bead lockers) that I can keep the tires from slipping on the rims and forcing me to balance this thing every three weeks?

Just curious but how do you know the tire is slipping other than out of balance. Did you mark tire/wheel?

C66 Racing
05-13-09, 07:40 PM
My track tires slip on my racing rims (on my Vette) often. Haven't found a cure other than to rebalance them. I do feel that they are more likely to slip early due to the lubricant used to put the tire on the rim. Once they have slipped, they might not slip again. I do use the tire crayon to mark the tire and the wheel to check for slippage. If you do this you'll at least know how much they are moving on you.

nikon
05-13-09, 07:44 PM
I've had to glue the bead for leaking issues...might be the cure for you as well.

HartmanV
05-13-09, 08:39 PM
Be careful,
If your wheels are slipping this could tear up your bead, resulting in constant leaks and possible blow out. Like everyone else said mark the wheel and tire and observe.

CTS-Voodoo
05-14-09, 01:16 AM
The rim and tire were marked, rear seems to occasionally slip about a half inch on the rim. I would assume its from traction control (stabilitrack) turning on or something...

Mystical_Ice
05-14-09, 02:02 AM
that's weird - how come the guys running 600+rwhp aren't having this problem... or aren't noticing it, yet you are?

got to be something else making it happen.

ccextra1976
05-14-09, 02:07 AM
The rim and tire were marked, rear seems to occasionally slip about a half inch on the rim. I would assume its from traction control (stabilitrack) turning on or something...

what type of tires?

DisposableHero
05-14-09, 04:30 AM
that's weird - how come the guys running 600+rwhp aren't having this problem... or aren't noticing it, yet you are?

got to be something else making it happen.

same here.. never even heard of this before

Ben.Peterson
05-14-09, 02:14 PM
Voodoo, what tire size are you running? I remember from an old thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/154655-monster-v-trailing-arms-2.html and from multiple posts by you that you were talking about going with 315's...

I would think that the reason that the cars with more hp (600+ was mentioned) wouldn't have this issue would be the simple fact that you have too much power and not enough tire... depending on what hp voodoo is running and if he is in fact rolling on 315's in the rear that would explain it.. just enough power and LOTS of traction could cause this (IMHO).

nmaier2201
05-14-09, 07:50 PM
I don't think he's widened his stockers yet so he's not running 315s (could be wrong of course)

Voodoo you spray wd-40 on there to make sure the bead sealed? ROFL!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/Firebomba/roflcopter.gif

EDIT: This GIF was shamelessly stolen from the Tony Show