: Finding Coolant Leak

Bueller
05-13-09, 03:43 PM
I have had my radiator replaced under warranty because the radiator was leaking on the lower grill a few months ago.

I recently smell it again, and there is coolant missing, but can't find the leak.

I don't want the dealer just replacing the rad if that's not the issue. Is there a fancy trick to finding where the leak is when I can't see any fluid?

Twitch
05-13-09, 04:18 PM
Same here. I can smell it, but the leak is so slow, it takes over 6 months for the "check coolant" to come on the nav. I'm sure you can just epoxy it, and you'll be fine. I gotta look for it one of these days.

darkman
05-13-09, 04:28 PM
First, you might want to try adding some the GM sealant tablets. It will seal of small leaks.

Second, you could get one of those system pressurizing hand pumps (used to find them at auto stores). You pump up the system (when cold) to high pressure and look for leaks.

Kmajecki
05-13-09, 04:33 PM
I just replaced my coolant pipe below the throttle body. There are 2 little O-Rings where this pipe connects to the heads which apparently go bad form time to time. Slow leak would get on my belt and then give a fine mist over the entire engine. Definitely had the smell, just something ya might want to check out.

perfect
05-14-09, 01:04 AM
i have the same problem in my 05 V

slow coolant leak...can definitely smell it after driving it...can't seem to localize it

dealer did a 2 hour pressure test and couldn't find a leak but suggested replacing the water pump ($1100+) because they "could see some coolant had pooled near the water pump"

I'll just continue to refill the coolant every few months for $10/pop or use the coolant sealing tabs that darkman has posted

ewill3rd
05-14-09, 06:42 AM
One tricky spot I have seen is under the upper radiator cover.
The piece right over the hood latch area.
Remove it and look carefully at the crimp on the top of the radiator upper tank.
I have seen a few leak very slowly. If it is leaking the foam on the cover might be wet, there will be white and orange crusty buildup around the crimp across the top.
I have had a few of the "new design" radiators do this and it took me a while to pin it down.

your maker
05-14-09, 07:01 AM
its the pump
i had the same problem and with a system pressurized i found that the pump need to be replaced. you will not find wear its leaking but it does take a while for the tank to show its low.

Bueller
05-14-09, 01:46 PM
its the pump
i had the same problem and with a system pressurized i found that the pump need to be replaced.

If it didn't leak at the pump how did you know it was the pump? I want to try to diagnose and find the problem before I take it in. Dealer take for ever to find something and always leaved bolts loose etc.:cookoo: