Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  razeorc 
#1 ·
I was looking through the classifieds and someone made the remark in their add to beware the pre 2000 Northstars. Can someone tell me why? Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
Ranger said:
My guess is, he was selling a 2000. The only thing I can think of is the pre-2000's burn premium. That said, with the knock sensor they can and will run very well on regular.
That's true, but when I use regular (medium) grade gas in my 99 Seville SLS (24K miles) the MPG is lower than when using premium. It may be a false economy to use regular (or medium) grade gas.

#5 · (Edited)
ljklaiber said:
95 SLS 144k miles on premium. No Probs. Why would anyone put regular crap in a Cadillac?
How does a difference of two points in a gasoline's knock rating make the lower number gas crap? Both get all the same additives, etc.

What do you think this is, some sort of fine, vintage wine that you are putting in your gas tank?:drinker

Incidentally, newer Caddies take "crap" grade gas and run fine on it.

#6 ·
'94 STS, 120K, the piss is driven out of it daily, and it works great...ran 92 and 93 octane for a while, but 87 works beautifully with not a problem...when I was in Wyoming and Kansas not too long ago, I went with the "mid" grade, which was 87, because they had 83 and 85 as their cheapest and though that might be pushing it a bit. Stick with the 87.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.