: I want this sign in the shop.

Red_October_7000
05-12-09, 11:57 PM
Maybe a slightly less stilted version, but nonetheless.

We've had a rash of drunken people and stinky, slovenly types come in. I don't care if people want to get plowed, it's fine, really, just please, don't come into the shop stinking of gin, or staggering around like your legs are fused because otherwise you'd fall over. That, and there is one guy with a dog who seems to think that rule of "no dogs in the shop" exempts him because his dog can sit in a corner.
(BTW, "Nampa" is a Japanese expession for "pound-on-your-car-and-say-'Hey baaa-BY!" sort of flirting).

Jesda
05-13-09, 06:30 AM
Smelly people are so happy!

dkozloski
05-13-09, 02:34 PM
Smelly people are so happy!
The guy who fell in the outhouse hole didn't look too happy to me.

orconn
05-13-09, 04:49 PM
With all the money the Japanese have spent on English classes over the last forty years, I just can't understand why their Japanese/English translation of simple sentences is every bit as bad as it was in the early 1970's when I lived there. One would think that the translation of simple verbal ideas from Japanese to English would be competent at this point!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-13-09, 05:54 PM
What kind of a shop do you work in?

billc83
05-13-09, 09:31 PM
I've noticed that with a lot of Asian to English translations (especially Chinese), the end result is understandable, but the syntax/grammar is wrong. I'd like to have a job where, after the translator translates, I come in after him and clean it up.

Red_October_7000
05-13-09, 09:53 PM
I work in a Radio Shack. We get in a significant volume of idiots, stuborn people, little shits who just want to annoy us and/or shoplift merchandise, and the occasional drunken/stoned person... and then there was that one guy so far gone on Benzos and Haldol that he was foaming at the mouth and completely unintelligible. His buddy came in after five minutes and dragged him out, telling him he should have staid in the damn car! And yes, any of the above type of customer will oftentimes lack such basic personal hygene as tooth-brushing or such.

In my experience the translation of Japanese into English leads to stilted, yet understandable translations, but Chinese leads to more nonsensical translations, because Japanese is written with symbols that stand for word parts, and Chinese is written with ideograms that stand for complete ideas, of which there are many thousand, and not all Chinese themselves understand all of them perfectly; the classic example is the one Chinese word that means "Dry", and also means "Do", also in the context of "Do me, baby!", which is often translated as "Fvck" so you get charming menu items like "The shrimp fvcks the cabbage" and so on.