: 09 CTS-V vs 2010 GT500

todd03blown
05-12-09, 08:43 PM
Folks - I am new to the board and have decided my next car purchase will be one of these cars. Of course they are 2 completely different cars with a price point difference of 15k or so.

I am looking at them from a pure performance standpoint within this thread.

540hp GT500 (not sure how underrated HP will be since they have not hit the streets)
556hp CTS-V

I wonder how close performance will be for the normally measured stats like 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom, skidpad, etc.

I know the GT500 will weigh in around 3950 lbs while the V is around 4300 (that correct?)

Thoughts on the performance between these 2?

Great site by the way, I have spent many hours over the last few days reading a lot of these threads. The V is one outstanding car, kudos to GM!!

Richie18
05-12-09, 09:06 PM
They are two very different albeit similar cars.

Both use a roots type supercharger with >500HP >500 lb-ft of torque
Both use the TR6060 transmission.

One car may post better 1/4,0-60, or skid pad numbers but in the end performance wise it all depends on the driver, with cars in this performance range that has the biggest effect.

That is where the similarities end.

Overall i think the CTS-V will outperform the GT500 most days of the week but besides their performance and engines these cars contrast so much.
The 2010 GT500 looks great, its mean, its racy and its in your face. The interior won't be nearly as nice as the CTS-v but if your going for exterior looks the GT500 takes it. (If that's your taste)

The CTS-v exterior is pretty understated. The V's looks aren't as loud as its performance. The suspension is amazing and was tuned for everything. The interior is one of the best on the market. In the end its a steel for the money and its performance.

todd03blown
05-12-09, 09:21 PM
I found some performance stats on the GT500 with the few tests that have been run.

0-60 4.0-4.3sec
12.3 - 118mph
.92-.96G's
60-0 - 110ft

Those are all about equal with the V, will be interesting to see more tests on the GT500.

The interior of the V is just amazing and is really amazing!! Ford finally did a lot better this time on the Shelby's interior but still not in the class of the V.

tough decision for me to make for sure since I am a diehard Ford person....I won't be buying for a few months so I get to stew over this for a little while :)

vperl
05-12-09, 09:39 PM
I found some performance stats on the GT500 with the few tests that have been run.

0-60 4.0-4.3sec
12.3 - 118mph
.92-.96G's
60-0 - 110ft

Those are all about equal with the V, will be interesting to see more tests on the GT500.

The interior of the V is just amazing and is really amazing!! Ford finally did a lot better this time on the Shelby's interior but still not in the class of the V.

tough decision for me to make for sure since I am a diehard Ford person....I won't be buying for a few months so I get to stew over this for a little while :)

Someone may or may not care.... but if you plan to drive farther than to the grocery store this is the V .

I travled 2460 miles back from Scott Pratt's dealership in Michigan.

Through all sorts of weather, and hills, mountains ( I-80 W), through Wyoming and to salt Lake, the car was a total joy, the ride was so good, at 80 or above you never even noticed you were going that fast. the car handles corners like you will not believe till you have a V. The interior is great, the navigation is fantastic, as is the USB ability to use thumb drives, and the Hard drive if you wish. Even the regular seats are very comfortable on long drives, the interior at night is something you also have to see, and appreciate.

Choose as you will , but the V is the best for me, no kiddy cars here. Just true American steel.

What ever you choose,it is your choice, pick carefully

cts-me
05-12-09, 10:14 PM

0-60 4.0-4.3sec
12.3 - 118mph
.92-.96G's
60-0 - 110ft

While i know the old Gt500 is less impressive then the new one, it just is so much worse then the cts-v in every way. The V is much more luxurious, seems more well built, performs greater then or equal to that of the (new) gt500 (id say better) and has three, REAL, seats in the back!

Get the V, its the best car ive ever driven, and ive driven some impressive cars.

marktanner
05-13-09, 12:41 AM
Resale value on a new model is notoriously hard to predict. The CTS-V is a fairly hot model in a very depressed market, with excellent press and international respect. The previous V's have never had the press or the sales, so less than stellar resale value is not surprising. If a lease residual is based on a previous model's history, that still doesn't fully predict the actual value at the end of the lease. It is used primarily to formulate the payment. I leased an Alfa 164S in 1991. The residual was based on previous dismal Alfa resale values, but at the end of the lease the car was worth 25% more than predicted, so I bought it for the residual, resold it and pocketed the difference. My prediction is that the V2 will have respectable resale, but that leasing residuals will be low until this model has some actual history.

The best deals may be on a purchase with a home equity line, if you have the available credit. My current rate is 3.4%, and the interest is deductible. Unfortunately, there are no current incentives for purchase, unlike earlier in the year with 0% 60 month ( THAT was a deal).

marktanner
05-13-09, 12:46 AM
Sorry guys. I selected reply for the leasing deal thread, and somehow it went to this thread, which I hadn't even read yet. Maybe it will be moved?

mr.algaz
05-13-09, 01:49 AM
I wouldn't add so much to what my fellows said here on this thread. I am clearly a GM guy but i try not to by racist or bais to any advices. I have driven a lot of cars in my life. Ranging from luxurious european cars to pure performance cars.

On this thread i would definitely go with a V. It looks like a luxury sedan with a bit of performance look. But when you drive it, it would be either one in the same car. With a touch of a button it would change from luxury and soft feel to aggressive race feel. When i bought this car i was hesitating between pulling the trigger or not. But i finally did and i was shocked and surprised with the way this car can jump from a dig to 150mph and how it would handle on corners even on streets like going from your work back home. You would feel like you are racing back home. So you would enjoy every second of it.

At the end i would say that GM had made this car the world's finest mid-sedan from inside and outside. I was at a Ford shop in the city and they worked mostly on Fords with an addition of any domestic car or truck. I took the V there for a cat-back installation and the guy there asked me did you put all those grilles and wheels on this car? I said no, why? he said it looks beautiful what year is it and what is it really? I said it is a V...etc when he got into the car he got amazed and he said i am not believing what i see, i dont believe this is an american car. He was amazed with the interior of that car, he though it was a german car from inside.

Those were my advices and how i saw people's reactions toward my car. Be careful when you choose, at the end it is your money and your car.

P.S. you got a pure performance car + a daily driver + luxury sedan + a road trip car + 1 Driver seat and 4 Passengers

ALGAZ

commander112
05-13-09, 07:35 AM
How old are you? The reason I ask is that if you are in your 40's or 50's the GT-500 will be looked upon as a "mid life crisis car". It's boy racer looks are great and I'm sure it will be a great car but it does not have the look of a distinguished, gentlemans car.

CIWS
05-13-09, 07:37 AM
Get the Mustang.

todd03blown
05-13-09, 07:43 AM
How old are you? The reason I ask is that if you are in your 40's or 50's the GT-500 will be looked upon as a "mid life crisis car". It's boy racer looks are great and I'm sure it will be a great car but it does not have the look of a distinguished, gentlemans car.

I am 38 currently.

todd03blown
05-13-09, 07:44 AM
Get the Mustang.

What is your reasoning behind that? Curious...

commander112
05-13-09, 08:10 AM
What is your reasoning behind that? Curious...

He is being a smart ass. If I may translate, you are at the V forum what kind of answers do you expect to get from a bunch of V owners? Do you actually expect a bunch of guys that plunked down $60+K for a car to tell you to buy the GT-500? You know you came here to get encouragement to buy the gentlemans hot rod.
Being 38 you can still get away with the GT-500 without women looking at you and thinking "look at that old guy in that young guy's car I feel bad for him trying to retain his youth". Then again, if you are a professional and you need to pull up to a business meeting with clients which car sends out the message that I am a professional and you should trust me? I'm just saying with the V you get a car of tremendous capability without any stigma.

CIWS
05-13-09, 09:03 AM
He is being a smart ass.

That's not true.
If the man is a long time Ford man, and he's seriously considering the Mustang vs the Cadillac, with a 15K (perceived) price difference, then my gut says he really wants the Mustang. But for the first year or so I'm betting the dealerships are asking for a fair markup to get one.

MescalVto
05-13-09, 11:33 AM
distinguished, gentlemans car.

:histeric:but, . . . it still does not necessarily make you a "distinguished, gentleman" :hide: sorry, couldn't resist:stirpot:

JEM
05-13-09, 11:49 AM
Depends on what you want to do.

The GT500 is going to be very fast in a straight line. But the Ford 5.4 mod motor is a giant heavy iron thing hung way out in the nose, the weight distribution on those things is ghastly and the Mustang chassis is nowhere near as good as the V.

The GT500 will be a great straight-line warhead and a joke any time the road turns.

I'm just wondering why the original poster would be comparing these two vehicles, seems to me that if you can live with a Mustang you're not going to buy a sedan, and if you want a 'balanced' car the Mustang's not going to have much appeal.

todd03blown
05-13-09, 01:33 PM
hmmmm where to start....

Yes I am a Ford fan and have been since I was little, guess that is the way I was raised...However I also have the ability to respect and want what another manufacturer has built such as the V.

I know coming to this board the bias is most certainly towards the V and I expected that as well however I also look to the feedback of real world owners of these cars to provide constructive feedback on the product they own and likely drive daily as my intent is to use this car as my daily driver to replace my 2008 Nissan Maxima SE.

I also know the comparison between the GT500 and the V is a bit different because both cars serve different markets for different reasons. With that said I have a large affinity to both cars both mostly for their performance they offer right out of the box, whether its acceleration, braking, cornering etc.

Since I have a family of 4 I certainly lean towards the V because of the extra room I get in the cabin as well as the trunk. I also like the V better due to the interior and the technology that is built in this car from the suspension to the amenities.

The GT500 is just plain a raw muscle/pony car that has been refined a lot for the 2010 version as the interior finally has some nice quality materials, much better fit and finish and it can actually be used as a daily driver. There have been nice suspension improvements as well to the 2010 GT500 over previous versus plus some nice traction control options as well.

Hence my dilemma I have as I truly love what each car brings to the table and what each one does best hence my posting over on this site. I have a few more months to wait before I pull the trigger but figured I would start now since I have never owned a GM or Caddy product ever. I am certainly enjoying the great information and content on this site and will continue to do more reading and research on the V series.

Thanks for the continued feedback.

Titaniumseeker
05-13-09, 01:48 PM
Depends on what you want to do.

The GT500 is going to be very fast in a straight line. But the Ford 5.4 mod motor is a giant heavy iron thing hung way out in the nose, the weight distribution on those things is ghastly and the Mustang chassis is nowhere near as good as the V.

The GT500 will be a great straight-line warhead and a joke any time the road turns.

I'm just wondering why the original poster would be comparing these two vehicles, seems to me that if you can live with a Mustang you're not going to buy a sedan, and if you want a 'balanced' car the Mustang's not going to have much appeal.

You are right about that. My neighbor's GT500 could not keep up with me on the back roads in MD. I pulled more that 20 car lengths ahead of him in my Dinan 7. But as soon as we hit straight road he annihilated me. GM got it right with the 09 V interior wise and performance. When I take the twisties I am not disappointed. It is truly more impressive than any BMW! Don't get me wrong. I still love the Bimmers but I have found a new love with this car!

Luna.
05-13-09, 02:02 PM
He is being a smart ass. If I may translate, you are at the V forum what kind of answers do you expect to get from a bunch of V owners? Do you actually expect a bunch of guys that plunked down $60+K for a car to tell you to buy the GT-500? You know you came here to get encouragement to buy the gentlemans hot rod.
Being 38 you can still get away with the GT-500 without women looking at you and thinking "look at that old guy in that young guy's car I feel bad for him trying to retain his youth". Then again, if you are a professional and you need to pull up to a business meeting with clients which car sends out the message that I am a professional and you should trust me? I'm just saying with the V you get a car of tremendous capability without any stigma.

Eh, that may translate correctly for many, perhaps even most, but I can assure you that I'd recommend a car different than the V at times, given certain circumstances.

What car is "right" for some people isn't necessarily "right" for others. There's nothing wrong with that, it just is what it is.

I'm a huge performance car enthusiast and enjoy most high performance cars. If some guy wants to go the route of a GT500, or M3 or whatever, hell, I'd often say, "Excellent!" and hope I spank him if I met him on the street. :thumbsup:

As for my opinion here, I don't really know enough to make a determination. I can say that the GT500 sounds like one hell of a performance machine...

Luna.
05-13-09, 02:04 PM
Since I have a family of 4 I certainly lean towards the V because of the extra room I get in the cabin as well as the trunk. I also like the V better due to the interior and the technology that is built in this car from the suspension to the amenities.

I think you may have just nailed one heck of a good reason to get the V. Hell, if I wasn't worried about carrying passengers, I'd own a Z06 Corvette right now instead of my '09V...

My thoughts are you really can't go "wrong" with either car, but reading above certainly would put a huge check mark on the "benefit" side of the V...

todd03blown
05-13-09, 06:37 PM
I think you may have just nailed one heck of a good reason to get the V. Hell, if I wasn't worried about carrying passengers, I'd own a Z06 Corvette right now instead of my '09V...

My thoughts are you really can't go "wrong" with either car, but reading above certainly would put a huge check mark on the "benefit" side of the V...

I am really leaning towards the CTS-V, there is just to much not to like on this car. The more I read, the more I watch the more I want this car!!

Hondarrr
05-13-09, 07:22 PM
I was having the same dilemma that you are having with the difference that I was looking at the 09 Z06 vette instead, and once I got to drive this car all that went away, this is a car that you can drive all day long and not get tired or bored of it, it's super comfortable, very low if any on interior noise, best interior I have seeing in my life time, 4 passengers and a driver, perfect handling and super powerful, what more can you want from a car?? I don't think that you will find all of those benefits in the Mustang.. but then again, is only my opinion...

MReiland
05-13-09, 08:00 PM
Would say.... a discount on the V help make your decision??:cheers:

todd03blown
05-13-09, 08:07 PM
Would say.... a discount on the V help make your decision??:cheers:
discounts are always accepted even on a vehicle that has this much to offer!!

Jayrcr3
05-13-09, 08:12 PM
If you have ever seen the look on someones face after they just had there a$$ spanked by a Cadillac, you would buy the Caddy without even thinking about it. :)

8speed
05-13-09, 09:55 PM
Both cars would be a great choice. I've only had the chance to run vs a stock GT500 and it was super close from a roll to around 140 mph! If I had to chose one though, I would have to go with the V! More exclusive, better daily driver, and it handles better and is quicker!

RapidRob
05-13-09, 10:17 PM
I am really leaning towards the CTS-V, there is just to much not to like on this car. The more I read, the more I watch the more I want this car!!

If you get the v2 - I can almost guarantee that you will NOT be disappointed! Cadillac really did get it right with this car! :thumbsup:

Rob

roman371
05-24-09, 12:09 PM

Conversely, one could assume the CTS-V is an old man's car from a distance???? Just messing with you, but for the most part I drive what I like and don't worry what others may 'think' of me......:wave:

N8dawg
05-24-09, 05:54 PM
GT500:
0-60 4.0
1/4 12.2

CTS-V(manual)
0-60 4.0
1/4 12.3

todd03blown
05-24-09, 06:05 PM
GT500:
0-60 4.0
1/4 12.2

CTS-V(manual)
0-60 4.0
1/4 12.3

Where did you get the stats for the '10 GT500 from?

RWFJR
05-25-09, 10:47 AM
I was also looking at the GT500 vs the V. I've wanted a 500 ever the 350 came out in the 60's. One article struck me and indicated that the 500 was not as confortable on a long run on the interstate which is why I got the V. You can't go wrong with either but the V gives me a little more class and style.

N8dawg
05-25-09, 02:16 PM
Where did you get the stats for the '10 GT500 from?

Edmunds Inside Line test, click on the picture of the car running the quarter and you will see.

todd03blown
05-25-09, 05:33 PM
Edmunds Inside Line test, click on the picture of the car running the quarter and you will see.

Thanks much!!

RapidRob
05-25-09, 06:51 PM
Those are the best times I've seen for a manual v2. Must be some of the car testers are getting better at shifting the man v2 - now that the car has been out for a few months. Lookin good! :2thumbs:

Rob

Tony407
05-26-09, 01:38 AM
I've only owned my V for a few days now so it's too early to make an educated review, but I've owned a 5-speed 2006 Mustang GT, Kenne Bell supercharged with 550 hp at the crank, Ford Racing suspension and aftermarket exhaust for the last 3 years. I love just about everything about the car and it has been the most fun I've ever had on 4 wheels. My biggest complaint about her is the solid rear axle and lack of finesse in the twisties. But for cruising around town I have yet to grow tired of her nor have I failed to smile each and every time I get behind the wheel. The 2010 Mustang has supposedly improved in the handling department and the interior is slightly more upscale. I imagine the car is an absolute dream - if you like muscle cars. The V has so many more amenities and I'd choose it any day for a long road trip vs. the Mustang. To each his own, but I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with either the V or the new GT500. They're definitely different animals, each with their own personality. I'm lucky enough to have one of each (well, technically I don't own a GT500 but I'd say it's pretty darn close in most ways.)

Tony

Fubar75207
05-26-09, 02:00 AM
For pure performance I think the Ford would be the way to go but you'd have to take all the money you saved buying the GT and spend it on performance upgrades almost immediately. What I mean is, out of the box the CTS-V is a better performer but I think the GT500 has better mods available and the GT500 engine has more room for improvement than the caddy.

N8dawg
05-27-09, 12:37 PM
For pure performance I think the Ford would be the way to go but you'd have to take all the money you saved buying the GT and spend it on performance upgrades almost immediately. What I mean is, out of the box the CTS-V is a better performer but I think the GT500 has better mods available and the GT500 engine has more room for improvement than the caddy.

How is the V the better performer? they get the same 0-60, GT5 is .1 quicker in the 1/4 and the GT500 has around .5 more Gs in the skidpad.

CIWS
05-27-09, 05:47 PM
Let's see if Ford sends the new GT500 to The Ring. :yup:

cars_are_fun!
06-08-09, 02:29 AM
Folks - I am new to the board and have decided my next car purchase will be one of these cars. Of course they are 2 completely different cars with a price point difference of 15k or so.

I am looking at them from a pure performance standpoint within this thread.

540hp GT500 (not sure how underrated HP will be since they have not hit the streets)
556hp CTS-V

I wonder how close performance will be for the normally measured stats like 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom, skidpad, etc.

I know the GT500 will weigh in around 3950 lbs while the V is around 4300 (that correct?)

Thoughts on the performance between these 2?

Great site by the way, I have spent many hours over the last few days reading a lot of these threads. The V is one outstanding car, kudos to GM!!

Todd, I am in the same situation. I wanted a CTS-V, but my wife totally disagreed - said it was an "old man's car". So I decided on a 2010 GT500 kona blue convertible instead. However, my research keeps pointing me back to the Cadillac. One of the reviews reported that the GT500 convertible did not get some of the handling improvements that the coupe received. I am nervous about the way the mustang holds the road - ones I have ridden in do jump lanes if you hit a large enough bump.

The mustang also suffers from wheelhop - I do not know if the Cadillac also has that problem.

No 2010 GT500s have arrived at dealerships yet, although many have been built, and are sitting on Ford's lots. No reason has been given, just various rumors.

So I plan to keep an eye on this thread (and the forum), and hopefully can make a decision soon. Good luck with whatever you decide.

vperl
06-08-09, 02:47 AM
Todd, I am in the same situation. I wanted a CTS-V, but my wife totally disagreed - said it was an "old man's car". So I decided on a 2010 GT500 kona blue convertible instead. However, my research keeps pointing me back to the Cadillac. One of the reviews reported that the GT500 convertible did not get some of the handling improvements that the coupe received. I am nervous about the way the mustang holds the road - ones I have ridden in do jump lanes if you hit a large enough bump.

The mustang also suffers from wheel hop - I do not know if the Cadillac also has that problem.

No 2010 GT500s have arrived at dealerships yet, although many have been built, and are sitting on Ford's lots. No reason has been given, just various rumors.

So I plan to keep an eye on this thread (and the forum), and hopefully can make a decision soon. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cannot speak for the guys on this board that are really experts on performance vehicles....
However, in my 4,000 miles on my 2009 CTS-V the wheel hop is not there.

One thing to remember, any mustang is going to get people looking.... they say, look at that bad boy... if it is a Snake they go
.. WOW , and the cops see you coming miles away.......
You are in the light of the cops.......

It has been my experience the cops do not have a clue. They See it and say, " Cadillac"......... and look for you in your Mustang....
I drive by they look at you......
So if you want to be noticed and thought of by most folks on the street as a guy with a bad ass car, get the GT500 and have a load of fun and the status of people when they adore you.....

Not very many people know of the V, those that do are few and far inbetween....

BY the Way I is old...... But the Vis young and very good looking... Wanna have the ability to have more than one person in the V, and the back is OK to have a couple of folks, you need not need to be a midget to sit in the rear.

Tell your wife to go see and drive the V. She might have a better understanding of the V.....

marktanner
06-08-09, 03:00 AM
Your wife must be the only person on the planet that thinks a CTS-V is an old man's car, or any recent CTS for that matter. The only thing that skews the age of the buyers is the purchase price, because it many younger buyers just cannot afford. So far, my car has received the most attention from kids and young adults, who are usually busy whipping out their cellphone cameras. The valets, etc all want to know about the car, and they ALL know what it is, even when they haven't seen one before.

As far as the suspension goes, the magnetic shocks really do an amazing job. Mid-turn bumps just don't phase the car, and the suspension really smooths out the rough stuff, even in Sport, while keeping great feel and flat cornering, with tons of grip and great adjustability. The Mustang might have a smidgeon more grip, but I bet the CTS would be faster over real-world roads. The Mustang is a bit of an unknown right now, but in general convertibles flex more and are therefore less precise than coupes or sedans. Between the body flex, solid rear axle, marked front weight bias, and lots of power and torque, I would expect that car to be quite a handful, barring any engineering miracles.

cars_are_fun!
06-08-09, 03:02 AM

Cannot speak for the guys on this board that are really experts on performance vehicles....
However, in my 4,000 miles on my 2009 CTS-V the wheel hop is not there.

One thing to remember, any mustang is going to get people looking.... they say, look at that bad boy... if it is a Snake they go
.. WOW , and the cops see you coming miles away.......
You are in the light of the cops.......

It has been my experience the cops do not have a clue. They See it and say, " Cadillac"......... and look for you in your Mustang....
I drive by they look at you......
So if you want to be noticed and thought of by most folks on the street as a guy with a bad ass car, get the GT500 and have a load of fun and the status of people when they adore you.....

Not very many people know of the V, those that do are few and far inbetween....

BY the Way I is old...... But the Vis young and very good looking... Wanna have the ability to have more than one person in the V, and the back is OK to have a couple of folks, you need not need to be a midget to sit in the rear.

Tell your wife to go see and drive the V. She might have a better understanding of the V.....

I am also old - 62 LOL - so I have to chuckle when I think of her comment. Thanks for the reply, and the advice. I am working on getting her to visit the dealership to see and ride in the car. The cadillac is IMO much safer for my grandchildren - but of course if they got to vote it would be the Mustang......

Now if only I could have both LOL.

cars_are_fun!
06-08-09, 03:18 AM
Your wife must be the only person on the planet that thinks a CTS-V is an old man's car, or any recent CTS for that matter. The only thing that skews the age of the buyers is the purchase price, because it many younger buyers just cannot afford. So far, my car has received the most attention from kids and young adults, who are usually busy whipping out their cellphone cameras. The valets, etc all want to know about the car, and they ALL know what it is, even when they haven't seen one before.

As far as the suspension goes, the magnetic shocks really do an amazing job. Mid-turn bumps just don't phase the car, and the suspension really smooths out the rough stuff, even in Sport, while keeping great feel and flat cornering, with tons of grip and great adjustability. The Mustang might have a smidgeon more grip, but I bet the CTS would be faster over real-world roads. The Mustang is a bit of an unknown right now, but in general convertibles flex more and are therefore less precise than coupes or sedans. Between the body flex, solid rear axle, marked front weight bias, and lots of power and torque, I would expect that car to be quite a handful, barring any engineering miracles.

Thanks for the info. The handling is my biggest concern right now - I have gotten used to the safe feeling my Jeep SRT-8 gives me (all wheel drive and excellent handling), and I shudder when I recall the high performance cars I owned in the 60s and 70s, and how dangerous they were (more than once I hit a bump and jumped a lane, and not speeding, either).

My wife made her comment just based on looking at a picture of the CTS-V, I think a ride on one will have a positive effect.

odla
06-08-09, 07:20 AM
"just various rumors"
cars are fun!
what are the rumors?

cars_are_fun!
06-08-09, 09:56 AM
"just various rumors"
cars are fun!
what are the rumors?

A plastic piece holding the air bag supposedly comes loose due to heat (sunlight, I think), and the latest is clutch springs. Here is a link to one of the posts:

Oops I cannot post the link, I am too new and have too few posts.

If you go to doubleu doubleu doubleu (LOL) teamshelby dot com search for 2010 GT500 holdup resolved. Or, search for Arning - he is a person at Ford that has provided information.

cars_are_fun!
06-08-09, 10:06 AM
"just various rumors"
cars are fun!
what are the rumors?

A plastic piece related to the airbag becoming loose due to heat, and clutch springs. I can't post a link nor can I PM because I am too new / have too few posts. I redid my post with the link, now it says a moderator has to review it. Go to teamshelby and search for arning if you would like details.

CIWS
06-08-09, 10:12 AM
The mustang also suffers from wheelhop - I do not know if the Cadillac also has that problem.

The 04-07 CTS-V (V1) suffered from nasty wheel hop, and too much of which could end up shattering its differential. GM took the time with the design of the 09 CTS-V (V2) to solve the issue (as well as others from the V1). To the point that their solution is now patented. There isn't the wheel hop with the newly designed rear end in the V2. :)

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/2009-cadillac-cts-v-automatic-tested-car-and-driver/16817350

cars_are_fun!
06-08-09, 10:25 AM
The 04-07 CTS-V (V1) suffered from nasty wheel hop, and too much of which could end up shattering its differential. GM took the time with the design of the 09 CTS-V (V2) to solve the issue (as well as others from the V1). To the point that their solution is now patented. There isn't the wheel hop with the newly designed rear end in the V2. :)

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/2009-cadillac-cts-v-automatic-tested-car-and-driver/16817350

Thanks, nice video. Quick question - I am not a fan of burning rubber, so my technique with RWD high performance cars is to leave the line at part throttle, then hit full throttle. Will that work with this car, which is more powerful than any I have owned, or will I still get some burning rubber?

8speed
06-08-09, 10:49 AM
Buy a Z06 instead.......twice the car the V or GT500 will ever hope to be!

cars_are_fun!
06-08-09, 11:01 AM

The ability to fit 4 or 5 people is important to me.

Luna.
06-08-09, 12:30 PM

The V an old man's car??? :hmm::histeric:

Luna.
06-08-09, 12:33 PM

If you aren't worried about carrying more than one passenger, 8speed is correct. The Vette is king in terms of bang-for-your-buck, and pretty much king regardless...

CADYSHAK
06-09-09, 12:48 AM
Owned a 07/Z06 , a bit rough to ride in on a daily basis , noisy as well inside , so it really depends on what criteria best suits you,
The one thing the cts-v doesn't have compared to the Z06 , is respect !
Every time I'd stop at a light , not one person wanted to challenge me in a race and instead got a BIG thumbs up from everyone .
I love the look of the big Z vette and if the cts-v were to go for a handsome price , if production were to stop , I'd probably another Z06 .

CADYSHAK

CIWS
06-09-09, 12:17 PM

I didn't realize you were a musician that played in the Banned. . .

CIWS
06-09-09, 12:19 PM
Thanks, nice video. Quick question - I am not a fan of burning rubber, so my technique with RWD high performance cars is to leave the line at part throttle, then hit full throttle. Will that work with this car, which is more powerful than any I have owned, or will I still get some burning rubber?

Might get a little tire screech and shaking booty, but it should grab and go. :)

marktanner
06-10-09, 02:49 AM
I just read a review of the GT500 in the July issue of Automobile magazine. It wasn't very positive. It's slower than the V, with 0-60 in 4.5 sec, and the 1/4 mile in 12.8 (but it does reach 117). They said of the handling that "compared to the Camaro SS it was a work in progress". with "minimal road feel", and "mixing hard cornering with heaves or humps spells trouble". "When negotiating quick left/right transitions..., the GT500 felt like it had bowling balls strapped to it's roof". This was the coupe, by the way. The convertible can only be worse. Other flaws were noted as well. It did post .97/.96 g, very slightly better than the V, but the V will clearly out-handle it (as well as the Camaro SS) .

This doesn't sound very promising. Please take your wife for a ride in the V, then the Mustang. I'm sure she'll come to her senses. The V appears to be the superior car, and by some margin.

cars_are_fun!
06-10-09, 02:55 AM
I just read a review of the GT500 in the July issue of Automobile magazine. It wasn't very positive. It's slower than the V, with 0-60 in 4.5 sec, and the 1/4 mile in 12.8 (but it does reach 117). They said of the handling that "compared to the Camaro SS it was a work in progress". with "minimal road feel", and "mixing hard cornering with heaves or humps spells trouble". "When negotiating quick left/right transitions..., the GT500 felt like it had bowling balls strapped to it's roof". This was the coupe, by the way. The convertible can only be worse. Other flaws were noted as well. It did post .97/.96 g, very slightly better than the V, but the V will clearly out-handle it (as well as the Camaro SS) .

This doesn't sound very promising. Please take your wife for a ride in the V, then the Mustang. I'm sure she'll come to her senses. The V appears to be the superior car, and by some margin.

Thanks. Although I haven't seen that article, it hits the nail on the head relative to my concerns. Another review was favorable to the Shelby coupe, but regarding the convertible and its handling, said "be very afraid".

1BlinkGone
06-10-09, 01:35 PM
I dunno. To me, the GT500 is a HIGHLY mixed-bag. I don't think there's enough there to get me on a lot to look at one, even if the salesperson hangs porterhouse steaks around their neck...

N8dawg
06-10-09, 02:09 PM

I wouldn't say slower than the V. Many other articles praise the GT500 and Edmunds gets 0-60 in 4.0 and 1/4 in 12.2 which is almost identical but a bit quicker than the V. I prefer the V because it's a sedan but I will admit that the GT500 is a tiny bit quicker in a straight line.

Tony407
06-10-09, 03:26 PM
Has anyone priced the new GT500? I'm not sure what they're going for now, but most of the ones I've seen on dealership lots in the past were marked up WAY over MSRP. I'm not sure if that's the case any more. Just a thought in case price is an issue compared to the V which you can get for below MSRP nowadays.

Again, as the owner of a 550 hp supercharged 2006 Mustang GT and a V2, I have to say they're both great cars in their own right. When I drive my GT it fulfills a different set of emotions for me than the V. It's definitely a muscle car and I feel much younger driving it than my other cars. I get a TON of looks and compliments in it as opposed to almost zero in the V. On smooth pavement it handles very competently, but any imperfections in the roadway translates into all sorts of undesirable sideways motions. I know the 2010 Mustang models are a huge improvement in the handling department, but they still have solid rear axles like the 2005+ ones. I don't care what else they do, it's still the car's weakest link. And if I remember correctly, when Ford came out with the convertible for the 2005+ Mustangs, handling and performance were pretty much equal to that of the coupes. I can't remember how they achieved this, but it was definitely a great selling point of the convertible. I'm not sure if this is the case for the 2010s.

Tony

NapperV
06-11-09, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't say slower than the V. Many other articles praise the GT500 and Edmunds gets 0-60 in 4.0 and 1/4 in 12.2 which is almost identical but a bit quicker than the V. I prefer the V because it's a sedan but I will admit that the GT500 is a tiny bit quicker in a straight line.

I've clocked 3.9 and 12.0 in the V sea level, 77 degrees 70% humidity

You do know the auto is a faster straight liner....remember its not just a striaght liner. Tthere is reputtble proof that the gm claimed 3.9 and 12.2 is achievable.... without the skill of rowing and through gears.

when i see a GT500 with an auto( which they don't make) that can run anywhere near the CTSv times ..it will be a cold day in hell ( stock)

My 06 GTO with 15 k in mods....everything....engine, drivetrain, brakes /rear
all NA
Plus exterior mods to look like a GTO-Saleen... stomps the GT500...and My stock V stomps my GTO except for 1/4 mile time.

Its a Mustang....it will never carry the clout of the V or the advanced suspesion the V2 has.....its a pony car....just because "shelby's" name is on it means nothing to me...

You know how many organs this guys had tranplanted...i'm sure helped out by Ford..... Yes he is an icon......but we now live in a modern world...i don't like it but thats the way it is..

the GT500 is not as fat as you think stock...due to the ovverwhelming power.. 90 % of the owner can't drive it to 90 of its limits

where as i just slightly powerbrake....and i'm gone.

the big bad 500 got beat by an old mans Caddilac.....and the GT500 price

please its a damn mustang

N8dawg
06-11-09, 12:53 PM
I've clocked 3.9 and 12.0 in the V sea level, 77 degrees 70% humidity

You do know the auto is a faster straight liner....remember its not just a striaght liner. Tthere is reputtble proof that the gm claimed 3.9 and 12.2 is achievable.... without the skill of rowing and through gears.

when i see a GT500 with an auto( which they don't make) that can run anywhere near the CTSv times ..it will be a cold day in hell ( stock)

My 06 GTO with 15 k in mods....everything....engine, drivetrain, brakes /rear
all NA
Plus exterior mods to look like a GTO-Saleen... stomps the GT500...and My stock V stomps my GTO except for 1/4 mile time.

Its a Mustang....it will never carry the clout of the V or the advanced suspesion the V2 has.....its a pony car....just because "shelby's" name is on it means nothing to me...

You know how many organs this guys had tranplanted...i'm sure helped out by Ford..... Yes he is an icon......but we now live in a modern world...i don't like it but thats the way it is..

the GT500 is not as fat as you think stock...due to the ovverwhelming power.. 90 % of the owner can't drive it to 90 of its limits

where as i just slightly powerbrake....and i'm gone.

the big bad 500 got beat by an old mans Caddilac.....and the GT500 price

please its a damn mustang

I know that the auto is faster, but I'm comparing apples to apples here and why would anyone want a automatic GT500??...

vperl
06-11-09, 03:47 PM
I know that the auto is faster, but I'm comparing apples to apples here and why would anyone want a automatic GT500??...

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

IMHO, who'd want a stang

CSX
06-11-09, 04:22 PM
As pretty much everyone here has said, powerplants aside, these cars are completely different, and built for different purposes.

But in your original post, you said you were looking at it from a "pure performance standpoint". So, looking at the two cars like that I would venture to say that the GT500 is the better performer. It weighs less than the CTS-V, puts out similar power, and despite having a less-than-ideal weight distribution and a solid rear axle, posted handling figures on par with the V.

However, the GT500's ace in the hole is the fact that it's motor is nigh-near indestructible. The current-gen GT500s have gone well past 900 hp and have posted 9 second 1/4 mile times on a stock motor. Parts will be far more readily available for the GT500 than the CTS-V, and probably cheaper to boot. I'm sure it won't be long until the road racers get ahold of the GT500 and make it handle even better than it does in factory trim.

Stock for stock, I believe the two will perform pretty fairly close to one another. Mod for mod, the GT500 will be the faster vehicle.

McRat
06-11-09, 04:22 PM
I'd think the Camaro SS would be a better comparision to the GT500. Yeah, the GT has more HP, but in every other metric, the SS is superior, and it's much cheaper. Other than the old Cobra R, none of that family group are that stable at high speed cornering. And anytime you have 300+ HP, handling/braking should be pretty high on your shopping list.

Both the SS and V2 are "balanced" cars, with handling to complement the HP. The GT500 appears to be in the same vein as the 03-04 Terminators, more power without the right package to use it.

But that being said, the GT500 looks very cool.

CSX
06-12-09, 11:54 AM
Dyno results for the '10 GT500 are in.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009/06/defying-dyno-expectations-in-the-2010-shelby-gt500.html?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1&mktcat=enabler&AID=10364102&PID=3243689&kw=N&synpartner=edmunds&mktid=cj260233

511 rwhp, 488 rwtq.

Unfortunately, I'd fully expect it to beat a V in a 1/4 mile. As for handling tests, we'll just have to wait and see.

NapperV
06-12-09, 12:38 PM
trickle down mods for the Zr1 will be the CTS-v's ace in the hole.

Its still a mustang....and with IRS in the cts plus the 1ms magna dmapners.....i would think very litte would have to be done to make the car handle quantumly better...remeber its a caddy....they don't want rock hard suspensions.... brigstone r11's and te CTS-v has a whole new persnality along with the recent eibach lowering springs.

ever hear of SCCA well caddy V1's where a dominate force ...meaning potential is there. and if you don't think a LS3 enchance for boost LSx motor isn't as hearty as the Fords....

remeber the LSx b4 the Zr1 and V were not esigned for boost.....now they are.

while i'll agree the GT500 is a cool ride... and fast too.... you can have that and the luxo...and the sleeperness of a V2...

Sorry i see this in the V favor......rmeber i have a an extremely high hp na GTO with thousands spent on suspension and driveline... yet the V just feels tighter regardless of what lateral g's it pulls ..that does not mean shit when i come down to handling.....or braking..

Also th V's engine ..i was told by a reliable source has some intergration(electronics) limiters....that are not know by even Henessy.

once these integration limiter( as i call them) are addressed...and rather easily..i might add....

the car right know with r11's will run mid high 11's with just a handheld tune.

Also addressing the issue of why would a GT500 be an auto....can a human outshift a computer.? or set a specific launch rpm? every time.......i've seen GT500 run 12.8.......

Blance is always the key....it took ford 150k to make a balanced Ford GT that was no better than a c6 Zo6

An internally designed for boost LSx engine....hell the NA's have been chomping at the heels of the FI fords...

live alxe will never in real word out handle IRS...= it maybe.....but is sad that Ford has to compare a GT500

to a caddy and worry.......i think its comical.

CSX
06-12-09, 12:56 PM
while i'll agree the GT500 is a cool ride... and fast too.... you can have that and the luxo...and the sleeperness of a V2...

Sorry i see this in the V favor......rmeber i have a an extremely high hp na GTO with thousands spent on suspension and driveline... yet the V just feels tighter regardless of what lateral g's it pulls ..that does not mean shit when i come down to handling.....or braking..

I agree with you. I think there's little doubt that the V is the all-around more balanced ride, and dare I say, the overall "better" car. But the OP specifically stated that he wanted to look at the two cars strictly from a "performance standpoint." Which is exactly what I've been doing. ;)

s4ologist
06-12-09, 01:34 PM
Doesn't the GT500 have forged internals? If so, that may allow for higher boost to be run safely (modding perspective). Of course, you could always replace the heads and pistons, etc in the V with forged parts.

CSX
06-12-09, 02:47 PM
Doesn't the GT500 have forged internals? If so, that may allow for higher boost to be run safely (modding perspective). Of course, you could always replace the heads and pistons, etc in the V with forged parts.

Yep. Like I said in my previous posts. the current GT500 has seen upwards of 900 hp and have put down 9 second 1/4 miles with stock motors. The 03-04 Cobra was very much the same. Much like the 93-98 Supra motors, Ford's blown modular motors are pretty much indestructible, and respond very well to minor mods (for example, conical air intake setups and catback exhausts are typically good for 30+ rwhp each on 03-04 Cobras.)

McRat
06-12-09, 03:20 PM
Anyone find it bizarre to see Mustang Advertisements on a GM site? Or is it just me?

SPONSORED CADILLAC ADVERTISEMENTS is what it's titled, but it's an ad for the 2010 Mustang.

I guess that's the future of enthusiast websites it seems.

vperl
06-12-09, 04:19 PM
Desperate, But who wants a stang, when I got a 2009 CTS-V

roman371
06-12-09, 05:23 PM

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I respect the GT500 for the beast that it is. After all, how fun would it be to drive only a sedan everywhere? Bring it on.

roman371
06-12-09, 05:30 PM
Has anyone priced the new GT500? I'm not sure what they're going for now, but most of the ones I've seen on dealership lots in the past were marked up WAY over MSRP. I'm not sure if that's the case any more. Just a thought in case price is an issue compared to the V which you can get for below MSRP nowadays.
Tony

The sticker on the new GT500 will be between 48k and 51k, depending on options. Most folks are ordering them at MSRP, but some got deals as low as $45k..... Lovely.