: ! Drive Shaft Rubbing Gas Tank Heat Shield !

qweegybo
05-11-09, 09:29 PM
About ten miles left on my commute back home (stop and go traffic in LA) and I start to hear this weird noise only when I accelerate. Almost like a grinding sound. I throw her up on jacks (stands) and do a little investigating with my brother in law behind the wheel and me underneath (the car that is). I found that the Drive shaft is rubbing against the heat shield right in front of the Rear Diff.

The area on the heat shield its coming into contact with is right in the middle underneath the gas tank, and where the drive shaft come out of the Rear diff and starts to get bigger... all I had to do to fix this was use a large screw driver to reshape the heat shield away from the Drive shaft.

In looking for the problem a couple things came to mind,

First was: Why is it rubbing the heat shield, could it have gotten hot enough in the stop and go traffic that the heat shield started to sag? Could the gas tank be sagging causing the heat shield to sag? I tried to use my motorcycle jack to see if there was up-down movement in the gas tank (just in case it came loose or something) and it wasn't moving up any. Which leads me to believe that the gas tank is fine.

Second: I tried to move the drive shaft around and see if it was loose or had any lateral or horizontal movement, none. But it did move in and out of the Rear diff a little bit, about an inch, is that normal?

Third: would something cause the angle in the Drive shaft to change were it could rub the heat shield underneath the gas tank? maybe the front of the rear diff moving up, causing that end portion of the shaft to rub the heat shield?

Fourth: This car has the potential to be more maintenance intensive than any girl I've ever dated? but it soo worth it!

Well I tried searching for similar threads and found nothing on this. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My car has +111K on it so I'm sure there will be new failures on the car that haven't come up yet.

Enlighten me friends...

Ef

ctsv154
05-11-09, 09:34 PM
About ten miles left on my commute back home (stop and go traffic in LA) and I start to hear this weird noise only when I accelerate. Almost like a grinding sound. I throw her up on jacks (stands) and do a little investigating with my brother in law behind the wheel and me underneath (the car that is). I found that the Drive shaft is rubbing against the heat shield right in front of the Rear Diff.

The area on the heat shield its coming into contact with is right in the middle underneath the gas tank, and where the drive shaft come out of the Rear diff and starts to get bigger... all I had to do to fix this was use a large screw driver to reshape the heat shield away from the Drive shaft.

In looking for the problem a couple things came to mind,

First was: Why is it rubbing the heat shield, could it have gotten hot enough in the stop and go traffic that the heat shield started to sag? Could the gas tank be sagging causing the heat shield to sag? I tried to use my motorcycle jack to see if there was up-down movement in the gas tank (just in case it came loose or something) and it wasn't moving up any. Which leads me to believe that the gas tank is fine.

Second: I tried to move the drive shaft around and see if it was loose or had any lateral or horizontal movement, none. But it did move in and out of the Rear diff a little bit, about an inch, is that normal?

Third: would something cause the angle in the Drive shaft to change were it could rub the heat shield underneath the gas tank? maybe the front of the rear diff moving up, causing that end portion of the shaft to rub the heat shield?

Fourth: This car has the potential to be more maintenance intensive than any girl I've ever dated? but it soo worth it!

Well I tried searching for similar threads and found nothing on this. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My car has +111K on it so I'm sure there will be new failures on the car that haven't come up yet.

Enlighten me friends...

Ef

Never heard of this. As far as the drive shaft moving, it has cv joints so yes that is normal. Look at all the mounting points on the diff. There are only three and if one broke it would be pretty easy to see. But you probably would have heard it or felt it break. If the tank didn't drop and the diff is fine, you sir had a little gremlin rip that heat shield down just to scare you!

Edit: Check the trans mount. Make sure it hasn't separated and is riding higher than it ought to.

ewill3rd
05-12-09, 08:42 AM
There are clips that hold the heat shield on the tank, some of them are broken or missing, take a closer look.
I have seen it happen a few times

lollygagger8
05-12-09, 10:09 AM
Ewill to the rescue!

I was going to say say hit her with a hammer, but that's my answer to everything