: New Here. Engine swap questions

pjsbird
05-11-09, 09:14 PM
Hi there, i just picked up an 83 Deville fleetwood, with the 4.1 Engine in it.

my question is... what would be involved with swapping a carbed 350 into the car?

and once it is in, what can i remove from under the hood as far as emmissions is concerned?

i love the look of this car, but the 4.1 lacks the power i want.

And if a 350 isnt the best way to go, what are my other options?

thanks in advance

sven914
05-12-09, 12:18 PM
Unless you live in California, you can remove every emission control device that car naturally came with. The government only looks at cars 25 years old or newer, and 1983 was 26 years ago :highfive:.

Aron9000
05-13-09, 04:50 PM
Unless you live in California, you can remove every emission control device that car naturally came with. The government only looks at cars 25 years old or newer, and 1983 was 26 years ago :highfive:.

Not true where I live, they test all 1975 and newer cars in certain counties in Tennessee.

Angry Matt
05-13-09, 06:58 PM
472 or a 500 is an easy swap. That'll give you the power you want and you'll keep it Cadillac. 1980/81 368 is the same block as them so the motor mounts are available and so is everything else from a junk yard for cheap. What state are you in?

sven914
05-14-09, 12:12 AM
Not true where I live, they test all 1975 and newer cars in certain counties in Tennessee.

I was led to believe that state emissions laws only considered vehicles dating back 25 years. You have to check your state and county emissions laws (in some states only certain counties are regulated for vehicle emissions).

If you do live in one of those states and/or counties and they are still checking pre-83 cars for emissions, then your options are limited. The vehicle must meet the same emissions standards that it met from the factory. Some states (California) will not allow engine parts to be "updated" on a car unless the replacement parts meet the state's seal of approval. In these states, the law is so stringent that unless the vehicle is no longer being considered for emission's testing, an engine upgrade will cause the car to be no longer street legal.

Check your local laws to see what you can do.

Aron9000
05-14-09, 12:19 AM
I know where I live, all 75-95 cars must pass a tailpipe sniffer, and a visual inspection for the cat converter. They don't care if you do a motor swap, as long as it has a cat and will pass the sniffer, its good to go. You could always swap in a LSx based motor & trans from a Chevy truck, Camaro, Vette, GTO, or GM van and pass emissions no problem. You'd get around 280-300hp with the 5.3 V8 from a truck or van, and you can find those all day long for cheap in the salvage yards.