: Different Viscosity

ericzoom
05-11-09, 11:31 AM
I seem to be down less than a qt. of oil. Would there be any problem using some Amsoil 0w20 Syn oil leftover from my Mazda6, rather than the 5w30 it specifies. It only seems to need a little bit of it. It's an 08' SRX V6. Thanks.

The Wrench
05-11-09, 12:53 PM
No problem whatsoever in my opinion, even if what you have in the Caddy is Mobil 1. All the good modern oils are totally compatible, and the viscosity tolerance of the engine is pretty broad under normal operating conditions. What you will basically end up with is the equivalent of maybe 4W27 or something, certainly not anything your engine will notice. Unless of course you plan to race it in the Paris-Daakar rally, or tow a 30 Ft trailer through Death Valley.

DG

ericzoom
05-11-09, 03:21 PM
There is M1 in the SRX. I just went out and purchased some Q Power, and figured since my SRX only gets 1 OCI a year, I might as well stick to the right oil, which also conforms to the GM4718M standards. I'll leave the Amsoil to my Mazda6. Thanks for the feedback.

Jake's SRX
05-11-09, 08:39 PM
There is M1 in the SRX. I just went out and purchased some Q Power, and figured since my SRX only gets 1 OCI a year, I might as well stick to the right oil, which also conforms to the GM4718M standards. I'll leave the Amsoil to my Mazda6. Thanks for the feedback.
Does 1 OCI mean, 1 oil change a year?

ericzoom
05-11-09, 10:11 PM
Does 1 OCI mean, 1 oil change a year?

Yes, OCI - Oil Change Interval. I use the OLM as a guide, and when it goes below 20%, it get changed. Car is leased, so that still satisfies GM requirements.

louisn
05-12-09, 09:37 AM
I have never seen anyone post that, after a scientific analysis, that there oil is NOT w/i tech specs after a year (especially Mobile One). I use the M/M on my SRX and Honda and feel very comfortable. No need to waste perfectly good oil and $$$. The days of 3000 mile oil changes are an anachronism and wasteful IMO. But i would always use the GM approved oil..