: Help..Which is #2 cylinder and other question

earman
05-11-09, 10:10 AM
Hey everyone... Had the car scanned after getting the misfire code and am told I need the #2 cylinder coil but was quoted a ridiculous price.. $600 :thehand:

I'm gonna take a shot at it but can anyone please tell me:

If I'm standing in fron to the car which is the #2 cylinder?
Where is the #2 Cyl coil and how do I change it?
Any suggestions on where to get the coil quick for less than $240 from CarQuest?
Will I damage a Cat converter if I drive it till I fix it this week?

Thanks in advance
Rich

Harry Yarnell
05-11-09, 11:17 AM
The #2 cyl is the far left cylinder on the front of the engine (facing from the bumper). The cyl. #'s are embossed on the cam cover. The #2 coil is the far right coil in the pack. I'd look at possiblity of issues with the plug and wire first.

Mark C
05-11-09, 12:22 PM
what year? On 2000 and later engines the coils for each bank are all part of one peice and have to be replaced as a unit, they are about 185 bucks at Rockauto.com with the ICM (ignition control module) included. Front and rears units are different and not interchangable. prior to 1999 there are 4 coils mounted on the rear valve cover, all the coils are identical and can be replaced one at a time. Probably cost about 60 bucks ea. If its a 99 or earlier make sure its the coil and not the ICM below it. Switch a good coil to the location of the bad one and see if the misfire moves to another cylinder, if it stays at the same location then its the ICM and not the coil.

Yes you will damage the cat if you drive any distance with the check engine light flashing. I smoked my 97 STS cat driving the car 5 miles or so like that. Granted the cat was probably near end of life anyway, but I pushed it over the edge by driving it with a misfire.

earman
05-11-09, 12:31 PM
Thanks.. it's a 2001 deville .. So facing the motor from the front bumper... the #2 Cyl is the one on the left toward the front bumper or on the left by the firewall ? Checking RockAuto now .. thanks .. hard to change or ? which part # at Rockauto ? sorry but if I order the wrong one the wife will stab me ...lol... She's driving the daughters neon while she waits for me to fix this ;)

Submariner409
05-11-09, 01:47 PM
earman...Take a look at the pix to see where you're going. The line diagram shows the coils for a pre-2000 Northstar, but the cylinder numbering is the same. You will need the whole coil cassette for your car.....RockAuto had some OEM DELPHI units left a few weeks ago....score one of those if you can.

EDIT....Just took a look at Rockauto....they still have the DELPHI coil cassettes (with ignition module) for about $185. 6 of one, 8 of the other. Jump !!!

Mark C
05-11-09, 05:57 PM
Front one is easy, remove the beauty cover, take out the eight 10 mm bolts that hold it on, nothing really in the way blocking access to any of them, disconnect the electrical connector at the right end and the cassette lifts straight out. Rockautos part number for the Delphi front cassette is GN10110. If you see a picture of one you want the silver colored unit, the black one is for the rear bank. Good time to swap plugs while you have the casette off as well.

Rear one is a major pain in the butt to get off because of the air pump valve that is mounted over it.

earman
05-11-09, 06:04 PM
Yikes.. I want to jump but is the #2 cylinder the left or right one ?:hmm:

Submariner409
05-11-09, 06:08 PM
What part of the diagram in Post #5 don't you understand ????

earman
05-11-09, 07:00 PM
Whether the coul for the #2 cylinder is considered the left coil or the right coil?

On Rock auto there are 2 different part number.. one is referred to as right and the other left :banghead: Sorry if I seem dumb ;)

earman
05-11-09, 07:04 PM
Sorry.. Guess it's the silver one :)

Submariner409
05-11-09, 07:28 PM
In a GM transverse engine mount, the motor is rotated (usually) 90 degrees clockwise from longitudinal. Cylinder banks are normally referred to from the driver's seat, so the "right bank" would normally be the passenger side. Rotate the engine as in our cars and the right bank becomes the "rear" bank and so on.

The "front" of the engine becomes the "accessory drive" or timing cover end, while the transmission is built to drive a transverse axle instead of a driveshaft and differential rear.

To complicate matters, the transverse Northstar puts the even cylinders on the left bank as opposed to the other longitudinal GM engines which put the even cylinders on the right bank. Thoroughly confusing...........

Yes, you want the gray coil cassette. (The left coil cassette with module.) The same unit that's shown upside-down in my pictures.

Ranger
05-11-09, 07:42 PM
In other words, it's the left bank.