: I'm fat.

Jesda
05-11-09, 05:44 AM
At 27 years old, college weight has caught up with me. [Doesn't help that I've been in school since the FDR was president.]

I've been making small changes. No more soda or eating out seems to have reduced sodium intake. No more greasy breakfasts. I have far fewer headaches, no weird cravings, and sleep MUCH better than before. Apnea is much less of an issue than it was.

I walk about a half to a full mile a day with the dog. Its a brisk walk, probably worth 100-200 calories.

In 2007 I peaked at 250something, now I'm down to 238. I used to break a sweat and get winded from just thinking about walking.

The point of this thread: I'm trying to come up with things to do that are easy to integrate into my quiet routine. If I go to extremes I likely won't stick to it.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-11-09, 08:33 AM
Is it possible to ride your bike to work at all? I do that every now and then and it is nice. You save gas and you feel really good about it.

Jesda
05-11-09, 08:48 AM
I closed my office and work at home now, and the warehouse is a half hour drive lol. I do own a bicycle, but the traffic here makes me not want to risk my life.

ewill3rd
05-11-09, 09:23 AM
I was kind of in the same boat as you a while ago.
I have lost 30 pounds since I made some changes.
I was unhappy at 210 and I thought I could lose 10 pounds, then I lost it and still was too big, so I kept doing it again and again. I am 1 pound from the weight I wanted and I still have room to lose more.

Here are the changes I made.

1. Small breakfast... 2 protien bars and some water.
2. Eat a big lunch but not junk. A healthy sandwich, salad, and sensible sides like meals with vegetables instead of fries or chips.
3. No soda, ever
4. Sweets like once a month on special occaisions only.
5. A small dinner or light snack, sometimes nothing
6. Try not to eat after 8 pm if you have a regular schedule

Once a week I go out with friends and have a nice meal but I eat seafood or chicken and get vegetable or not so fatty sides and drink water.
I usually hit a machine once a day and do some ab work if only for a few minutes, that really really helps too.
If you are good at excercise videos look into getting some tae bo stuff from billy blanks.
I started on the easy stuff and it made a huge difference fast. I can't fit that stuff into my schedule really because I have to get all set up but if you can do it, do it.
I feel so much better and am looking forward to taking off maybe another 5 or 6 pounds and re-evaluating.

CadillacGurl
05-11-09, 10:17 AM
Are there any dog parks near by? You can let Newton run around and socialize and you can do the same! :thumbsup: PS: Dog parks are the new place to pick up chicks.

Tip from me: write down everything you eat. You'll see how much food you put in your body and it will scare you! It helped me realized that I need to eat a heck of a lot more healthier. I personally have lost around 40 lbs. Damn college makes you gain weight like crazy!

My Dad bought the weight watchers cook book and loves it. He has so far lost between 50-60lbs. He plans out his meals for the week plus he doesn't go out for lunch anymore which helps save some money.

Also feel free to cheat a little on the foods you love. I have to have chocolate so I have some in my cereal (Special K Chocolaty Delight). It's not chocolate chocolate but it helps my fix.

RightTurn
05-11-09, 11:38 AM
http://www.kitchenproject.com/german/FOODPICS/Spiessbraten/schwenkbraten4.jpg

PORK STEAKS

C0RSA1R
05-11-09, 03:24 PM
Spring/Summer of 2003 I worked in the Seafood department of my local Price Chopper. On my feet all day, wading through salmon guts, etc. We had a fryer and a steamer, so anytime I got hungry, I would just toss in some haddock or cod and have a snack. Shrimp, scallops - anything was fair game. One day, about a week before I left for college that August, I was looking in the mirror and noticed that I had somehow acquired a six-pack. I had always been good about working out, sit-ups and push-ups in the morning before school - but no cardio or weightloss stuff, just an all-strength workout. Personally, I think my nearly exclusive diet of seafood had something to do with it, but I have no way of being sure. I wish I did know - I'd like that six-pack back.

And my girl chuckles behind me. That does it, I'm buying some swordfish steaks tonight.

Ranger
05-11-09, 07:45 PM
I was able to drop 25-30# by dropping 2 Cokes per day (I do miss them). Unfortunately I put 10 of it back since I quit smoking 7 weeks ago. :mad: I'm trying to hold the line and loose that if I can.

RightTurn
05-11-09, 09:25 PM
Congrats on quitting smoking, Ranger. :highfive:

Ranger
05-11-09, 09:31 PM
Thanks. Never thought I'd do it.

V-Eight
05-12-09, 12:49 AM
Although I'm only 18 and am in great shape, the trick to losing weight is exercising lots, and eating less (although you can pretty much eat as much vegetables as you want). If you eat even one more calorie than you burn in a day you'll stay the same or gain weight.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-12-09, 01:01 AM
I closed my office and work at home now, and the warehouse is a half hour drive lol. I do own a bicycle, but the traffic here makes me not want to risk my life.

On my way to work I have to ride through the construction on I-88. It has become sort of a game to see if I can get through there w/o having to dodge some workers or a crane.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-12-09, 01:03 AM
Next time we meet up, I'm gonna eat a Baconator in front of you. :chad:

gary88
05-12-09, 01:16 AM
-Cutting out pop = real good
-Cut out fast food
-Drink tons of water
-???
-Profit!

C0RSA1R
05-12-09, 01:23 AM
??? = Seafood.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-12-09, 01:42 AM
Cutting the pop will help a lot. I drink maybe 3 cans a week and am amazed at how people can drink several bottles of the stuff a day.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-09, 02:35 AM
I just burned off about 23 pounds or so on hydroxycut, working out, being on my feet eight hours a day because of my job, and eating a lot of food, but staying low calorie and low fat. Multigrains and fruits are also great here, as are whole grains. I also drink water and green tea like a fish.

I hope this helps. Good work, and keep it up!

[NortHStaR]
05-12-09, 02:50 AM
Huge props on quitting smoking Ranger! :thumbsup:

As for you Jesda, I have lost about 40 pounds in the past 6 months or so (not a huge deal but I really wasnt even trying to loose any) but the only thing I have really started doing differently is walking with the dog a couple times a day and been drinking ALOT of water and tea instead of soda and I try to stop eating after 8:30. I think a majority of the success is due to my water intake.

Krashed989
05-12-09, 03:10 AM
I lost 10 lbs from just being poor... So Jesda, if you just give me your money I'm sure you'll loose weight in no time!!!

Just kidding. :p

Aron9000
05-12-09, 03:30 AM
I'm sure I'd drop quite a bit of weight if I quit drinking. Getting hammered 2-3 times a week really puts on the weight. Back in high school I was 5'6" at 145lbs(I'm kind of built like a fire hydrant, short, thick, and broad shouldered). Now I'm at 200lbs:nono:

Jesda
05-12-09, 04:34 AM
I lost 10 lbs from just being poor... So Jesda, if you just give me your money I'm sure you'll loose weight in no time!!!

Just kidding. :p

Oh man, in 2002 there was a long period where I made $700/mo. I have NO IDEA how I survived with the cost of rent, insurance, food, etc. I lost 25lbs in a month!

ewill3rd
05-12-09, 09:08 AM
I know a hotel in Samara Russia that is many blocks from any restaurants and has no good food in it.
I lose 5 pounds a week when I stay there.
I can give you the address if you want.

Congrats to Ranger on the smoking cessation!

Nik, I am not sure I believe you lost 40 pounds but I wouldn't dare call you a liar!
:lol:

V-Eight
05-12-09, 10:19 AM
I just burned off about 23 pounds or so on hydroxycut,

Wasn't there a lawsuit on that stuff, pretty sure I saw something about that on TV?

kckranz
05-12-09, 10:30 AM
I was able to drop 25-30# by dropping 2 Cokes per day (I do miss them). Unfortunately I put 10 of it back since I quit smoking 7 weeks ago. :mad: I'm trying to hold the line and loose that if I can.

Way to go Ranger. I quit a few years ago but occasionally I do miss those delicious lung rockets.

CadillacGurl
05-12-09, 11:02 AM
Nik, I am not sure I believe you lost 40 pounds but I wouldn't dare call you a liar!
:lol:

I'll have to find some fat pictures of me... I was around 190 lbs and I'm now 143-145 lbs my soccer playing weight. :)

Congrats on quitting smoking Ranger! My mom used to smoke and hasn't for 21 years. :) So if she can do it, you can too! Plus you'll live longer :thumbsup:

Brett
05-12-09, 11:23 AM
I just burned off about 23 pounds or so on hydroxycut,

Its been pulled from the shelves. Liver or Kidney damage i believe.

TSS
05-12-09, 12:09 PM
Congrats on quitting smoking, Ranger. :highfive:

^^x2. Congrats!

Jesda: Try working out an take ALLI. Trust me, it keeps you honest. Eat too much fat and take it, bad side effects. I get it at Sam's club. I workout 5 times a week, hard, but had just reached a stall in losing weight. Added the ALLI into the mix, and weight started to drop again. I take it now occasionally to maintain, as I hit my goal. It is not an appetite suppresant. Google it. :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-12-09, 12:17 PM
I just burned off about 23 pounds or so on hydroxycut

Did you know Hydroxycut was recalled because it rapes your liver? http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090501/hydroxycut-recall-due-to-liver-injuries

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-09, 05:23 PM
I heard about that. My question is, why was the 19-y/o's death not reported until 2009, when he died in 2007?

In any case, I'm keeping an eye on my health. I don't notice any problems right now. After this bottle, though, I'm switching over to something else. Does anyone know anything that doesn't cause that kind of trouble?

Brett
05-12-09, 05:30 PM
Ive heard heroin is ok for your liver, and Ive never seen a fat heroin addict.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-09, 05:37 PM
Heroin....negative.

TorquedWench
05-12-09, 05:44 PM
i've lost over 100 pounds...here's my tips

1. skip the fads..no pills, no weird plans where you eat only certain things or prepackaged meals.
2. drink lots and lots of water.
3. exercise...I just walked...started out with 1/4 mile and work my way up to about 3 to 5 miles a day.
4. there's a lot of prepackaged foods out their geared marketed as low-fat and low-calorie, but I have found that I do the best when I eat as naturally as possible and eat mostly unprocessed foods. Make sure you eat lots of whole grains and veggies and get at least 35 grams of fiber a day.
5. focus on losing weight gradually..no more than a couple of pounds a week..more than that and it's likely to just come right back.
6. It's really a pretty basic formula - there are websites that can help you with this..but typically 1 pound = 3500 calories..so to lose a pound, you have to figure out how to subtract those 3500 calories

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-09, 06:03 PM

1. skip the fads..no pills, no weird plans where you eat only certain things or prepackaged meals.
3. exercise...I just walked...started out with 1/4 mile and work my way up to about 3 to 5 miles a day.
4. there's a lot of prepackaged foods out their geared marketed as low-fat and low-calorie, but I have found that I do the best when I eat as naturally as possible and eat mostly unprocessed foods. Make sure you eat lots of whole grains and veggies and get at least 35 grams of fiber a day.
5. focus on losing weight gradually..no more than a couple of pounds a week..more than that and it's likely to just come right back.
6. It's really a pretty basic formula - there are websites that can help you with this..but typically 1 pound = 3500 calories..so to lose a pound, you have to figure out how to subtract those 3500 calories

I have this habit of buying a lot of oranges and bananas. For my grains, I go for multigrain crackers. As far as water, I tend to burn about a gallon and a half to two gallons a day. Wearing a polyester uniform and patrolling all day makes you thirsty!

V-Eight
05-12-09, 06:11 PM
I have this habit of buying a lot of oranges and bananas. For my grains, I go for multigrain crackers. As far as water, I tend to burn about a gallon and a half to two gallons a day. Wearing a polyester uniform and patrolling all day makes you thirsty!

That all sounds good, how much heavy exercise do you do?

TorquedWench
05-12-09, 06:28 PM
I forgot the most important part! My adult daughter dropped three sizes just from making this one simple change....she started eating breakfast. I once read that 75% of all overweight people are breakfast-skippers. Skipping breakfast really messes up your metabolism.

90Brougham350
05-12-09, 06:36 PM
Congrats Jesda, one small step at a time. Throw away the bathroom scale. Next step, kill Chad and steal his metabolism.

Brian

AMGoff
05-12-09, 07:02 PM
For the sole purpose of losing weight, it doesn't matter what you eat - high fat/protein/carbs/whatever... It all comes down to calories, more specifically your intake vs. expenditure. The truth is that you can always eat as much as you want - as long as you're willing to burn it off.

Walking is a good start, but you really can't measure it by the distance walked, you have to go by the time walked... At your weight, a half-mile walk is only good for about 75 calories - which won't amount to a hill of beans since that should only take you 7-8 minutes. However, if you start focusing on the time spent doing so, then that's when the calories really start racking up...

If you dedicate a half-hour to walking, you should cover about 2-miles and burn roughly 280 calories... Double that for an hour's effort. Just don't think of it as "Ugh... I don't want to walk 2-4 miles, blah blah blah...," simply strap on your iPod and just start walking. To that end, one thing I've always suggested to people is to create a "walking playlist" with some of your favorite songs, make it an hour duration, and don't stop walking until the music is over. Whatever you do, just don't take a leisurely pace - it doesn't matter how long you walk if you're just dawdling along... Always try to keep your pace at about 4mph for a 15-minute mile.

Here's another easy suggestion that should be easily appreciated by everyone on here.... Wash your car! An hour spent washing your car won't just provide a clean ride, but you'll have burned about 485 calories doing so.

With that said, there were a handful of sound suggestions sprinkled throughout here...

Besides the stupidly obvious like cutting out soda, which you've already done - make green tea your friend... 3-4 glasses a day will be good for an extra 75-100 calories. Just don't buy any of that pre-made slop... Make it yourself and use something like Splenda to sweeten it.

Whole grains ('multigrain" is just a marketing gimmick) and fiber should be your friend as well... They will help to regulate you digestive system and even better - they help fill you up quicker! I'd be willing to bet money that you don't get anywhere near enough fiber in your diet (most people don't)... Start out by simply adding something like oatmeal to your breakfasts or if absolutely necessary, take supplements if needed.

Girlie-girl probably made the best suggestion if you're truly serious about losing weight.... Keep a diary of what you eat. The only way you can honestly expect to burn calories is if you know just how much you're putting in. Plus, once your whole diet is actually right in front of your face in black and white, you can make necessary changes much more easily. Also be sure to make notes as to what you were doing at the time and how you were feeling... It can be a major revelation to people once they begin to see the associations between their activities/feelings/emotions and what they subsequently eat.

Finally... A few more points not mentioned:

*Take your vitamins!

*"Fats" aren't your enemy. A lot of folks are under the misconception that dietary fat immediately equals body fat and that's complete hogwash. We all need to have some fat in our diets, it's just a matter of picking good fats.

*Other foods to make your friend... Cranberries and blueberries, nuts, olive oil, soy-products, milk, and yogurt.

*Bulk up, even if just a little... The more muscle, the more calories you'll burn in just your "everyday" activities. You don't need to join a gym or get all obsessed about it, just start doing some easy things around the house. Start with some sit-ups/crunches and push ups... If the push-ups are a bit hard at first - do you have stairs at your place? Doing them at a 45-degree angle will take enough of your weight off you while still providing enough resistance to start building up muscle... Another good investment for both is an inflatable exercise ball. Also get yourself some light free-weights and just try to incorporate them into your free time, then increase their weight over time.

Just try such things two days a week and commit two other days to your walking... If you do that with the necessary changes in your diet - I guarantee that come the fall, you'll have dropped 20-30lbs easily.

I'm sure it all sounds like a lot right now... but once you get used to it after a few weeks, it's a piece of cake - it's all about making it "normal." And after a while, you won't even need to do things like keeping a food diary - it'll just come naturally.

I don't obsessively work out nor excessively monitor my diet, but by roughly following what I just said I've managed to maintain my current weight (6' 165-175lbs) all the way back since high-school.

Bottom line is this... If you make the necessary changes in your diet and commit

the cadillac kid
05-12-09, 07:42 PM
lift.
after the first few weeks, you'll love the gym.

Ranger
05-12-09, 10:01 PM
You guys all make this sound so easy. I've not been able to shed a pound of what I've gained. :mad:

TorquedWench
05-12-09, 11:36 PM
It's definitely not easy..but just like with your efforts to stop smoking, with patience and perseverence, it can be done. I feel that it's important to focus on the health benefits..regardless of the weight loss. If you eat wholesome, healthful foods and get sufficient exercise, it's going to be good for your body regardless of whether or not the weight loss follows.

AMGoff
05-12-09, 11:47 PM

I had totally missed that...

Good for you Ranger... That's fantastic! Did you go cold turkey?

I tried last year and all was going well for a while, but needless to say I hit a wall and have been at one a day since. Which still isn't "good" of course, but is far better than I was a year ago...

Night Wolf
05-12-09, 11:53 PM
Work on an Air Force Base. All the miles/day you walk alone, just from your car to your building, between buildings, heck even within your building (they are big buildings) and you'll start shedding the weight.

Ranger
05-13-09, 12:03 AM
Yeah, cold turkey. Just got pissed at myself and did it. Quitting is a piece of cake. I've done it a hundred times. Staying quit is another story. Why this one stuck (so far) I'll never know. I'm waiting and praying for the day when I no longer think about it or miss it. There are time when I would really like one. I have always enjoyed a good cigar and still have several in my humidor, but I'm afraid to lite one up. It may sabotage my efforts.

If I could stay at one a day, I would savor it and never even try to quit. How you do that is beyond me. :worship:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-13-09, 12:21 AM
There is always bulimia... :ack:

Ranger
05-13-09, 12:24 AM

I'm having trouble unloading ten. You are my hero. :worship:

orconn
05-13-09, 12:32 AM
Congratultions, Ranger, on your success at giving up smoking! Just remember "one day at time without smoking" beats "I'm going to stop smoking tomorrow" every time!

I was able to stop smoking two and a half years ago. I certainly still have an occasional desire for a cigarette. My friends and doctors tell me the desire never goes away ...... that even after twenty years they still get an urge to light up. I wasn't able to stop smoking when the doctors first told me that I had COPD Emphysema so now that I have stopped I am not getting the benefits that one would normally get from quitting smoking. So what ever you do keep making every day a successful "I gave up smoking day" and enjoy the benefits of being a non-smoker.

Ranger
05-13-09, 12:59 AM
Funny you should say that. When I got pissed and decided to quit, my wife said "Let's do it tomorrow". I think that gave me the resolve to do it now. I knew that meant it would never happen.

I have always said an ex smoker is like an alcoholic. Always recovering, and it only takes one to start again. After a couple of martini's it would be soooo easy right now. THANKS SO MUCH for the encouragement.

Don't mean to hijack this thread from Jesda.

Red_October_7000
05-13-09, 01:30 AM
Dammit, and I was going to say Cigarettes and Amphetamine! The way everyone did it in the 50s! Well it works, doesn't it? :alchi:
Seriously though, only one dude said lifting the ol' dumbells a bit, and that's great. Not even the gymnasium; just grab a set and do reps while watching TV or whatever. The extra strenght is nice too, you'll wander around going "When did this get so light?"

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-13-09, 02:41 AM
I need to gain weight dammit. I am 6'4" tall and weigh 140. I am the definition of a stick. I eat like crazy too, between 2000 - 4000 calories a day depending on what activities I am doing.

TorquedWench
05-13-09, 08:51 AM
I'm having trouble unloading ten. You are my hero. :worship:

Yeah, but it took me years to do it. Lose 20 pounds..gain 8 back, lose another 20 pounds, gain 5 pounds back..but guess if you chart it all out..it works out in the long run - that's where the patience and perseverence comes in handy.
I gained a bunch when I quit smoking..about 4 years ago now. I was at 1 to 2 packs a day for 20 + years. The first year I did really miss it..now I don't. I can't even stand being around it or smelling it or even looking at it.

Especially with prices going up, I'm sure glad I quit. I can think of a lot of better ways to spend $50 than on a carton of cigarettes..like cute shoes.

V-Eight
05-13-09, 12:35 PM
I need to gain weight dammit. I am 6'4" tall and weigh 140. I am the definition of a stick. I eat like crazy too, between 2000 - 4000 calories a day depending on what activities I am doing.

Shit, you are twiggy. I'm 170 at 6'2'' and I'm pretty lean but well toned

93DevilleUSMC
05-13-09, 08:07 PM

Do you eat healthy or fast food?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-13-09, 09:57 PM
Everything. I usually have Subway for lunch because we have on in the store. For breakfast I eat two - three bowls of cereal, everything from Apple Jacks to Raisin Bran to Honey Bunches of Oats depending on what my Mom buys, with 2% milk. Dinner is either Hot Pockets if I am working or whatever my Mom makes for dinner when I am off.

Ranger
05-13-09, 10:10 PM
A lot has to do with age. When I was your guys age I ate a side of beef a day and was 6'2" and 165# and never gained an oz. Things change as you age. Now, I'm not fat (still 6'2", and 215#) but I'd like to drop 5 or 10.

billc83
05-13-09, 10:40 PM
How about this: congratulations and good luck to those who have made, or plan to make, a positive change in their life!

ewill3rd
05-14-09, 08:00 AM
I am with you Ranger.
When I was teens and twenties I was a walking vacuum cleaner. I ate anything and everything as much as I wanted whenever I wanted. My mom used to joke that I only ate one meal a day, it started when I got up and stopped when I went to bed. I drank soda like it was free and was stuck at about 150 pounds at 6' tall.
Not sure exactly when all that changed but it all started sticking somewhere along the way.

Now I feel like I hardly eat anything, where I used to eat an entire large pizza now I am stuffed after 2 slices. I still have a tendency to eat everything that is put in front of me but it hurts my stomach a lot more now than it did before. Guess it is becoming inflexible. I think I was more active then but I am not sure, I am still pretty active. This job keeps me standing, walking, and tossing weight around all day.
Technically even though I have a few extra pounds still I am in better shape than I have ever been in my life.

The only annoying part is that my uniforms are getting really baggy and it drives me crazy! :lol:

mtflight
05-15-09, 11:38 AM
Ok. There are is a problem using exercise to lose weight--it increases your appetite! The exception is extreme exercise, but increasing walks here and there, not going to make a big difference if at all.

Calories in vs. calories out -- not quite true -- since the body regulates metabolism and thyroid function based on these in order to prevent weight loss. What I mean is if you start eating 1500 calories (say 1000 kcal less than usual), in a few weeks you will lose weight, but then you'll stop losing.

Think of all the people who have gastric bypass and stall overweight (but about 100 lbs less than their hyperobese original weight).

So how then? what is the problem?

The answer is simple--insulin excess is the problem. Insulin is a fat-storage hormone. Someone overweight has more insulin than someone at normal weight. If you lower insulin levels, you will allow the body to use fat for energy. Think of a type I diabetic (insulin-dependent)... they are skinny as rails because they cannot store fat (unless they inject insulin).

How do you lower insulin? lower your carbohydrate intake. Cutting out sodas was a great idea, cutting out juice is just as effective, cutting out starch is equivalent too.

Complex carbs vs simple? phooey. 1 potato turns into 1/2 cup of sugar.... and even whole grain toast begins to turn into sugar in the mouth when saliva comes into contact with it.

Eat under 50 (preferrably under 30) carbs a day from all sources, and you will start dropping weight like crazy. Once a week or every couple of weeks, eat lots of high calorie low carb foods (like eating a big fatty grilled steak), and this caloric excess will trick your body from slowing down metabolism (you don't stall the weightloss).

You could do this with fast food too. Look up the movie "Fat Head: The Movie" it's on Amazon and I think Border's. It's the anti-supersizeme movie. You'll probably like it. Tom loses weight and improves his lipid profile while eating only fast food.

Ranger: congrats on quitting the smokes. I know you like steak. This works for you too. Don't listen to "you need carbs" advice. It's bogus. Your liver can make all the blood sugar your body needs. If it weren't true what would our hunter gatherer ancestors have done in the winter without plants and grains? We wouldn't be here is the short answer.

mtflight
05-15-09, 11:56 AM
I am with you Ranger.
When I was teens and twenties I was a walking vacuum cleaner. I ate anything and everything as much as I wanted whenever I wanted. My mom used to joke that I only ate one meal a day, it started when I got up and stopped when I went to bed. I drank soda like it was free and was stuck at about 150 pounds at 6' tall.
Not sure exactly when all that changed but it all started sticking somewhere along the way.

It's called insulin resistance. In a nutshell the pancreas must produce more in order to keep your blood glucose within range. Some one weighing in at 300 could have a fasting insulin level of 200 units whereas someone slim could have a level of 5... both with identical glucose. The problem is when the insulin resistance gets worse and then one day your pancreas is unable to produce enough to keep the glucose in check... then you are officially a diabetic.

You can reduce insulin resistance the same way as to lose weight--cut out the starches and the sugars. No matter if they're whole grain or not... they're starches and they will convert to sugar. fiber is the exception because it is not absorbed so it's not a starch.

Insulin resistance brings about "metabolic syndrome" as was originally named "syndrome X" by Gerald Reaven

Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic staff
Having metabolic syndrome means you have several disorders related to your metabolism at the same time, including:

Obesity, particularly around your waist (having an "apple shape")
Elevated blood pressure

An elevated level of the blood fat called triglycerides and a low level of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol the "good" cholesterol

Resistance to insulin, a hormone that helps to regulate the amount of sugar in your body

Having one component of metabolic syndrome means you're more likely to have others. And the more components you have, the greater are the risks to your health.

All of this is usually corrected when you regain insulin sensitivity (by cutting back on carbs). Or worsens when it gets to the point of diabetes.

Ranger
05-15-09, 12:28 PM
Now I'm really confused. :bonkers: I don't know a carb from a calorie. I do know a good steak when I taste one though.

dkozloski
05-15-09, 03:28 PM
Have somebody haul you about twenty miles from home and leave you alongside the road without your wallet. About three times a week works great. Soon you'll be as hard as nails.

mtflight
05-15-09, 04:25 PM
Now I'm really confused. :bonkers: I don't know a carb from a calorie. I do know a good steak when I taste one though.

there are 3 "macro nutrients:"

Fat
Protein (beef, chicken, pork, fish)
Carbohydrates (starches and sweets: potatoes, rice, beans, pasta, grains including corn, wheat, oatmeal, fruit, juice, sugary sodas, etc).

I remember we had a good steak with Bruce N. when you bought your white diamond Cadillac.

TorquedWench
05-15-09, 05:09 PM
Here you go..no fads, no gimicks..just some simple common sense....nice, easy to understand little chart included.

http://mayoclinic.com/health/mayo-clinic-diet/WT00016

Basically, regardless of where it comes from..your body stores extra calories as fat..if you consumed 4000 calories a day from carrots and lettuce..and only burned 2000 of them..you will have carrot fat.

mtflight
05-15-09, 05:22 PM
Here you go..no fads, no gimicks..just some simple common sense....nice, easy to understand little chart included.

http://mayoclinic.com/health/mayo-clinic-diet/WT00016

Basically, regardless of where it comes from..your body stores extra calories as fat..if you consumed 4000 calories a day from carrots and lettuce..and only burned 2000 of them..you will have carrot fat.

This ignores biochemistry, but is very politically correct, and will not offend anyone--it may even work but don't expect results anytime soon.

Eating fat does not raise blood sugar, and therefore has no effect on insulin levels. Low insulin = no fat storage. eating carrot juice raises blood sugar like crazy, thus insulin squirts out in a panic.

Ranger, would you rather eat steak and lose weight, or carrot juice?

TorquedWench
05-15-09, 05:44 PM
I'm really confused about where you're getting your information. Are you accusing the Mayo Clinic..the most widely respected medical organization in the country of perpetrating a conspiracy???

This is what I know. I followed the basic principles outlined in that link and I lost 125 pounds and I've kept it off for years and my blood pressure dropped and my cholestrol levels are good and I feel and look wonderful...radiant even...and I have more energy today than I did when I was in my 20's.

If I sat on my butt all day shoving steaks down my throat, I don't know if I'd lose weight or not..but I do know that I wouldn't feel good. I would feel lazy and sluggish.

Gimmicky plans that promise quick results usually won't work in the long run..and that is fact

mtflight
05-15-09, 05:55 PM
I'm really confused about where you're getting your information. Are you accusing the Mayo Clinic..the most widely respected medical organization in the country of perpetrating a conspiracy???

This is what I know. I followed the basic principles outlined in that link and I lost 125 pounds and I've kept it off for years and my blood pressure dropped and my cholestrol levels are good and I feel and look wonderful...radiant even...and I have more energy today than I did when I was in my 20's.

If I sat on my butt all day shoving steaks down my throat, I don't know if I'd lose weight or not..but I do know that I wouldn't feel good. I would feel lazy and sluggish.

Gimmicky plans that promise quick results usually won't work in the long run..and that is fact

Lol I opened up a bag of worms. No conspiracy. Just misinformation. I said it works, did I not?

I think you would feel more sluggish after eating a pile of whole wheat bagels, than if you ate steaks. What do you think we did before we became farmers? Think we were fat and diabetic then? Just food for thought, not for a food fight :hide:

If you were to follow the weight of the evidence, there is much more in the low sugar/starch than there is in the ubiquitous low fat high whole grain approach. I'm not talking epidemiology (observation).

www.nutritionandmetabolism.com is a good place to get some hard facts.

"Episodic starvation was a normal state
during the evolution of the hunter-gatherer. Mild ketosis (2-7 mM)
remains today peculiar to man as a species (except in
some ruminants, particularly during exuberant lactation or dur-
ing twinning). Man is distinguished from other animals by his
large brain/body weight ratio and brain's very high energy re-
quirements. At rest, 20% of oxygen consumption is needed to
support the 1.5kg of brain, which is 2% of body weight. It can be
argued that since ketone bodies are the only available alternative
to glucose for brain's energy, ketosis was a critical evolution-
ary development to provision man's hypertrophied brain while
sparing muscle mass (3). The survival bene t is obvious; about
2 months for an average weight starving adult compared to a
calculated 23 weeks were ketone bodies not available"

-Ketone Bodies, Potential Therapeutic Uses
Richard L. Veech,1 Britton Chance,2 Yoshihiro Kashiwaya,3 Henry A. Lardy,4
and George F. Cahill, Jr.5
1Unit on Metabolic Control, LMMB/NIAAA, Rockville, Maryland, U.S.A.
2Johnson Research Foundation, University of Pennsylvania,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
3Division of Neurology, Tottori University, Faculty of Medicine, Yanago, Japan
4Enzyme Institute, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
5Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Here's some stuff on cancer and diet...(low carb) look at the first one in particular.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1662484,00.html
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-2-30.pdf
http://nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-4-5.pdf

Ranger
05-15-09, 06:17 PM
I'd rather eat steak, but I'm gonna sit this one out. BTW, I'll never give up steak.

TorquedWench
05-15-09, 06:22 PM
Well, for one thing..before we became farmers we usually lived to the ripe old age of 30 or so before poor health killed us off :) And I believe that before we became farmers were were more nomadic gatherers..feasting primarily on nuts, grains and berries but I could be wrong about that. Not to be contrarian or anything ;)
I wouldn't eat a whole pile of anything (except for maybe romaine lettuce..I love big romaine lettuce salads) especially whole wheat bagels..very calorie dense.

Ranger
05-15-09, 06:30 PM
I love big romaine lettuce salads
No arguments on that one from me. Even better if it precedes a big juicy steak. :duck:

TorquedWench
05-15-09, 06:33 PM
make a small juicy steak and I'm with you on that ;)

Ranger
05-15-09, 06:33 PM
OK, it's a date.

mtflight
05-15-09, 06:36 PM
I'd rather eat steak, but I'm gonna sit this one out. BTW, I'll never give up steak.

motto of the story: if you want to lose fat (not muscle), cut out the starch and the sweets, and eat everything else (fat and protein).

Ranger if you get a chance, read this http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/banting.html This is the first book on the subject.

Would you be happy eating steak and some veggies on the side (corn and potatoes excluded)? Or fish, or chicken or veal or pork... just as long as it's not rice/ beans /starch, roll, cake. etc.

I do avoid vegetable oil except for monounsaturated and saturated kinds--but this does not affect fat-loss so much [sort of althought PUFAs do inhibit thyroid function] this is more of a personal choice against unstable chemical bonds.

Ranger
05-15-09, 06:38 PM
Would you be happy eating steak and some veggies on the side (corn and potatoes excluded)? Or fish, or chicken or veal or pork... just as long as it's not rice/ beans /starch, roll, cake. etc.
I'll eat anything that does not eat me first.

mtflight
05-15-09, 06:53 PM
Well, for one thing..before we became farmers we usually lived to the ripe old age of 30 or so before poor health killed us off :) And I believe that before we became farmers were were more nomadic gatherers..feasting primarily on nuts, grains and berries but I could be wrong about that. Not to be contrarian or anything ;)
I wouldn't eat a whole pile of anything (except for maybe romaine lettuce..I love big romaine lettuce salads) especially whole wheat bagels..very calorie dense.

As I said I follow the weight of the evidence. If you really do the research, lifespan only increased much later (due to reduced infant mortality rates mostly in more recent times for other causes than nutrition). If anything low insulin levels increase lifespan. Look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_Kenyon

Health declined when we became farmers. Any competent anthropologist can tell you. This is obviously not the place to debate this. Feel free to read below, and post your comments there. Unless you're willing to look at actual scientific studies, in terms of metabolism, in which case we can go mano a mano. As I said before, I am not disputing you. I said that approach works.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/nutrition-and-health-in-agriculturalists-and-hunter-gatherers/#more-2877

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/obesity-in-ancient-egypt/

"For thousands of years humans consumed fructose amounting to 16–20 grams per day, largely from fresh fruits. Westernization of diets has resulted in significant increases in added fructose, leading to typical daily consumptions amounting to 85–100 grams of fructose per day" --http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/5

We relied on "nuts, grains and berries " as supplemental to our diet of hunted animals/fish (where applicable).. because thanks to the insulin spike provided by the sweets (fruit), we were able to store fat in order to survive the long winters. How did we survive the winter? Ketosis--burning the stored fat for energy, as we continued to hunt animals (anything we could catch or kill), and became lean.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/metabolism-and-ketosis/

There were no "nuts, grains and berries" in the winter.

Manatees eat lettuce--almost exclusively--at SeaWorld... have u seen the size of those things?

TorquedWench
05-15-09, 08:00 PM
Ketosis is very difficult to maintain. The average person would have a very hard time committing to it. I've known people who were on ketogenic diets due to epilepsy so it was very important for them to follow their diets very carefully. Eating 8 almonds instead of 6 could through them off. None of them were overweight, which does support your theory..so I will agree with you that if a person can commit to never having a piece of cake, or a slice of pizza, or a couple of beers after work on Friday night..then your plan is perfect.

And now I'm going to go crack open a cold one ;)

PS I am not genetically equal to a manatee.

the cadillac kid
05-15-09, 08:35 PM
i'm not reading all that.
cliff notes?

AMGoff
05-15-09, 08:38 PM
The only way your theory works is under the assumption that everyone is either diabetic or insulin-resistant... Which isn't the case whatsoever. Diabetic individuals have unique needs with their dietary requirements - mainly with regard to carbs.

Regular, healthy people on the other hand make more than sufficient insulin to properly handle normal amounts of carbohydrates... However, if you're one of those carb-nutters, then I'm not even going to begin to argue with you because it will all be for nothing. I've never bought into it, from the days when I studied dietetics back in college all the way to today... and I never will.

The fact remains that a healthy balanced diet is key and regardless of anything else that can possibly said, for purposes of losing weight in a regular individual... It all comes down to calorie intake vs. expenditure, nothing more nothing less.

Also, "protein" is nothing but a combination of essential amino acids, which are the building blocks that make us up, that the human body is not capable of manufacturing on its own and is not limited, nor should be equated to meat (beef, pork, poultry, fish, or otherwise). All plant matter contains protein as well... It's simply a matter of finding a "complete" protein source to account for all essential amino acids and can be done through a combination of fruits, vegetables, and nuts. That is unless we begin to add soy into the equation - which is unique amongst the plant world as it is the only plant source which provides a "complete" protein structure.

Either way... While a person could "survive" on simply meat-based protein and fat, millennia of agricultural cultivation have made us into carbohydrate processing machines and they are essential for a well balanced diet. Especially considering the numerous health risks associated with excessive meat (esp. red meat) and fat consumption. It's all about giving our bodies everything of what they need to efficiently function throughout the day and not depriving them of any needed source or energy.

mtflight
05-15-09, 09:39 PM
Ketosis is very difficult to maintain. The average person would have a very hard time committing to it. I've known people who were on ketogenic diets due to epilepsy so it was very important for them to follow their diets very carefully. Eating 8 almonds instead of 6 could through them off. None of them were overweight, which does support your theory..so I will agree with you that if a person can commit to never having a piece of cake, or a slice of pizza, or a couple of beers after work on Friday night..then your plan is perfect.

And now I'm going to go crack open a cold one ;)

PS I am not genetically equal to a manatee.

I agree with you. Your digestive system is much closer to a tiger or a lion's than it is to a manatee--same for your stomach acidity. Try feeding lettuce to that lion... (hint: you better not be within the lion's reach).

I also agree that it is difficult, in this age of pro-soy, low-fat, pro-whole-grains propaganda (and lobbyists galore), to keep to a low carb diet.

I personally would rather have eggs and bacon for breakfast, than mueslix with soy milk. I'd rather have a cheeseburger without the bun than some soy crackers loaded with phytic acid and rice cakes, or beans and rice, or whatever.

In ketogenic diets for epilepsy people want to make sure they stay super ketogenic. On a normal low carb diet you go in and out of ketosis, the point is the insulin levels get very low, which allows the fat to flow out of the cell (hormone-sensitive lipase, to keep it scientific). With high insulin levels, the fat cannot come out of the adipose cell--so the person feels like he/she is hungry/starving and have to keep eating.

To paraphrase the late Broda Barnes, M.D., the pig farmer has had it right all along. They're in the business of fattening livestock, so they tried everything under the sun to accomplish that. Protein, fat, you name it, they've tried it. In the end, what works best to fatten livestock? Grains.

Find time to read that link I posted for Ranger, regarding William Banting's Letter on Corpulence.

Also, Ranger is not a beer guy. he drinks hard liquor, which will be just fine on a low carb. I drink stuff like Miller Lite (3.2 grams of CHO per 12 oz).

mtflight
05-15-09, 10:22 PM
The only way your theory works is under the assumption that everyone is either diabetic or insulin-resistant... Which isn't the case whatsoever. Diabetic individuals have unique needs with their dietary requirements - mainly with regard to carbs.

Regular, healthy people on the other hand make more than sufficient insulin to properly handle normal amounts of carbohydrates... However, if you're one of those carb-nutters, then I'm not even going to begin to argue with you because it will all be for nothing. I've never bought into it, from the days when I studied dietetics back in college all the way to today... and I never will.

The fact remains that a healthy balanced diet is key and regardless of anything else that can possibly said, for purposes of losing weight in a regular individual... It all comes down to calorie intake vs. expenditure, nothing more nothing less.

Also, "protein" is nothing but a combination of essential amino acids, which are the building blocks that make us up, that the human body is not capable of manufacturing on its own and is not limited, nor should be equated to meat (beef, pork, poultry, fish, or otherwise). All plant matter contains protein as well... It's simply a matter of finding a "complete" protein source to account for all essential amino acids and can be done through a combination of fruits, vegetables, and nuts. That is unless we begin to add soy into the equation - which is unique amongst the plant world as it is the only plant source which provides a "complete" protein structure.

Either way... While a person could "survive" on simply meat-based protein and fat, millennia of agricultural cultivation have made us into carbohydrate processing machines and they are essential for a well balanced diet. Especially considering the numerous health risks associated with excessive meat (esp. red meat) and fat consumption. It's all about giving our bodies everything of what they need to efficiently function throughout the day and not depriving them of any needed source or energy.

OMG, AMG again. Just kidding. :halo:

First of all, this is not a theory of mine. This isn't even a theory.

Insulin is a pro-growth, fat-storage hormone. Fact.

People become insulin-resistant all the time, after day-in, and day-out of carbohydrate-rich eating (look at the rise in diabetes and obesity that started after the 1976 George McGovern Senate Committee on Nutritional Recommendations--yes the government got involved and we're now a fat nation--go figure).

Type II diabetes is a disease of insulin resistance (folks, Type II diabetes is at an all-time high, and rising).

At the time, McGovern was following the Pritikin diet (a very low fat diet). (Pritikin developed cancer and committed suicide. (There is a statistical association between low cholesterol, depression and a prominent all-cause mortality rise--I'll let you do the research on that--I'd be sad too if I said good-bye to steaks and replaced them with rice cakes and cabbage soup)).

I agree with you that here are complete sources of protein (containing all the amino acids necessary), just like there are incomplete sources.

To illustrate the difference, let's say you want to build a wall of brick and mortar. You need water, cement, sand, and bricks. Let's pretend you only have water, sand and bricks. How strong will your wall be? So which are the complete sources of protein? Animal protein sources are complete. The World Health Organization, WHO, regards egg protein as one of the best sources of protein available.

Ok so rice and beans, together, are a complete source of protein. I got this in nutrition classes as well. But how many bowls of rice and beans must you eat to equal the same amount of protein in a chicken breast. LOL . Plus you get all that starch that converts to sugar!

Soy may be a "complete source of protein" but unless it undergoes fermentation, is loaded replete with phytic acid (the plant's storage form of phosphorous). Phytic acid is an anti-nutrient, making very little of the nutrients bioavailable, as it is a known chelator of minerals (osteoporosis anyone?). Soy is also loaded with phytosterols http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/03/margarine-and-phytosterolemia.html and phytoestrogens http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/04phytoestrogens.htm . These hormone-like substances mess with the body's ability to regulate itself. (Picture a kid pressing the brakes or gas, down by your feet while you're driving). The body fights very hard to keep these things out.

AMGoff, I know you resist to read the most current and scientific studies that I have pointed out for you in the past, so as you say yourself, it will be worth nothing to say the following (I included for those people who are not opinionated and actually like to understand the science behind the message, not just take messages to heart without any thought assuming they are actually the correct message)..

Regarding your epidemiological references to red meat being associated with cancer... did you know shaving wards off heart disease? LOL
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search?q=shaving+heart+disease

Epidemiological, or observational studies, should be used to find out where more research is needed. They should NOT be used to determine what is good or bad for us, because no matter what we believe, there is always something missing from the picture. We need double-blind, controlled studies to determine what is good for us. Folks, don't start shaving twice a day to ward off heart-disease, please.

Epidemiological studies, are not hard science. Most of those studies are done through mail surveys or phone surveys. People lie. People have been led to believe meat is junk food. It's not.

Let's talk actual control studies and let's use references. Use PUBMED.gov for example and let's use reason, not power of argument and the inertia benefit of the general consensus based on opinion.

Read my references to brain cancer and Otto Warburg above, and let's talk about starches in that context. Or about mammary tumors and how they grow 69% more in 24 hrs under a high insulin environment. Real studies, real controlled science--not paper or phone surveys.

Did you know, for the longest time trans-fats and saturated fats were compiled into one single category as far as the government nutritional databases? That made saturated fat look really bad, in terms of its association with cancer and heart disease.

How the low fat dogma came to be:
v8WA5wcaHp4

The McGovern Report
xbFQc2kxm9c

Demonizing of Saturated Fats
flLwKQGm43A

Essential, by definition, means the body cannot produce it and therefore needs it in order to survive. By definition, carbohydrates are NOT essential. What IS a well-balanced diet? That's subjective. NO, I don't want to hear your answer. I already know it. It involves essential carbohydrates (HINT: essential carbs do NOT exist).

AMGoff
05-16-09, 12:15 AM
NO, I don't want to hear your answer. I already know it. It involves essential carbohydrates (HINT: essential carbs do NOT exist).

Then there was very little reason to litter the web and fill another page, now was there.? Got it, you're one of those carb-nutters... That's all you had to say. Although your type weren't quite as vocal 15 or so years ago, they still had at least one warning per semester against such strict and narrow alternative lines of thinking... While I may have jumped at the opportunity for a fight back then, old age has taught me to just let people subscribe to whatever line of thought they like... If you want to try and avoid carbs, then go ahead and do so - however needless and unwarranted it may be.

And if you don't like the word "essential," then substitute it for "preferred" with regard to a balanced diet - since it's about what works for most people most of the time.

Jesda
05-16-09, 12:29 AM
old age has taught me to

I KNEW Adam was 60!

TorquedWench
05-16-09, 12:34 AM
And that itself is an excellent point. Which is easier to follow: "eat sensibly, in moderation, and get some exercise"

OR

The preceding pages and pages of technical journal mumbo-jumbo.

The most important thing is that it has to be something you can stick with..because the flip-flopping back and forth is very hard on your body and messes up your metabolism.
[QUOTE=AMGoff;1878666since it's about what works for most people most of the time.[/QUOTE]

mtflight
05-16-09, 12:36 AM
Then there was very little reason to litter the web and fill another page, now was there.? Got it, you're one of those carb-nutters... That's all you had to say. Although your type weren't quite as vocal 15 or so years ago, they still had at least one warning per semester against such strict and narrow alternative lines of thinking... While I may have jumped at the opportunity for a fight back then, old age has taught me to just let people subscribe to whatever line of thought they like... If you want to try and avoid carbs, then go ahead and do so - however needless and unwarranted it may be.

And if you don't like the word "essential," then substitute it for "preferred" with regard to a balanced diet - since it's about what works for most people most of the time.

lol what a cheap shot. :histeric:

Show me the science. I'm not interested in hear-say. I want scientific evidence, backed by studies, their methods, conclusions, as well as disclosures.

Who is really the narrow minded? I've told you before, and I tell you again that if you pony up the facts and have good science to back them up, I will be glad to consider them. (not the title of a text book--but rather the references that arrived at the numbers/facts so we can look them up and deconstruct them and weight them in the quality of science and relevance as intelligent folks).

You're in the majority, when it comes to dietary advice. What you have to say we've all heard over and over again. :crowded: Groupthink anyone?

mtflight
05-16-09, 12:46 AM
And that itself is an excellent point. Which is easier to follow: "eat sensibly, in moderation, and get some exercise"

OR

The preceding pages and pages of technical journal mumbo-jumbo.

The most important thing is that it has to be something you can stick with..because the flip-flopping back and forth is very hard on your body and messes up your metabolism.

"Oversimplification has been the characteristic weakness of scientists of every generation." -Elmer Mccollum, A History of Nutrition, 1957.

TorquedWench, I was starting to respect your observations, as you had me under the impression of being a man of reason when you brought up your friends' experience who followed the very same ketogenic diet developed at the Mayo Clinic to treat refractory epilepsy.

I'm sorry I don't buy into the oversimplified science based on supposition and opinion. :thepan:

TorquedWench
05-16-09, 01:00 AM
Actually, I'm not a man at all..of reason or otherwise.

It's not always about statistics and text books. At one point in my life I was 125 pounds overweight...and a lot of that weight was gained by following a lot of hare-brained diet schemes that seemed like good ideas at the time. One program I had to pay hundreds of dollars to join and it was scientifically based and doctor supervised and they put me on a 550 calorie diet and I almost passed out while driving one day. I lost a huge amount of weight in a very short period of time..but my body didn't want to be on a 550 calorie diet..so I ended up gaining it all back plus another 20 pounds. Repeat the same process with a bunch of other crazy diets that all ended up the same.
Life experience speaks volumes.

mtflight
05-16-09, 01:17 AM
Actually, I'm not a man at all..of reason or otherwise.

It's not always about statistics and text books. At one point in my life I was 125 pounds overweight...and a lot of that weight was gained by following a lot of hare-brained diet schemes that seemed like good ideas at the time. One program I had to pay hundreds of dollars to join and it was scientifically based and doctor supervised and they put me on a 550 calorie diet and I almost passed out while driving one day. I lost a huge amount of weight in a very short period of time..but my body didn't want to be on a 550 calorie diet..so I ended up gaining it all back plus another 20 pounds. Repeat the same process with a bunch of other crazy diets that all ended up the same.
Life experience speaks volumes.

Oops my bad! Congratulations on your weight-loss, and I hope I didn't offend you calling you a man. I meant humankind :-P

TorquedWench
05-16-09, 01:22 AM
Well..I guess it was better than when you compared me to a lettuce-eating manatee

mtflight
05-16-09, 01:40 AM
It's not always about statistics and text books.

I agree. It would be great to simplify the message down to: carbs are good for you if you are happy with your weight and you don't have associated health problems. They stimulate insulin production, so are not ideal for weight-loss (or if you have high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, central obesity, high triglycerides, low HDL-Cholesterol, high blood glucose, etc etc).

The problem is there are "too many cooks in the kitchen." One school is based on supposition and opinion (low fat, low calorie, and therefore high carb), the other one was based on experience--read William Banting and all livestock farmers, but was overshadowed by the low fat group and then the vegetarian and health food industry and granola-whole-foods people who have their own ideas.

So we have to rely on science to validate it, to find the truth. Just because a large group of people say so, does not make it true. I've looked at both sides. I've taken nutrition courses in college--and have the textbooks as reference. There is a lot of soft science and wishful opinion involved. It becomes like a religion, based on faith, and its followers (e.g., AMGoff) won't listen to anything that doesn't fit into their preconceived notion.

Of course there is some truth to what he says, I have agreed with it. Exercise increases insulin-sensitivity, for example.

mtflight
05-16-09, 01:54 AM
Well..I guess it was better than when you compared me to a lettuce-eating manatee

I didn't compare you. I was merely illustrating an amusing irony. It's usually the carnivorous species that are lean, not the vegetarians.

ryaus1
05-16-09, 02:22 AM
Here's a before/after picture after loosing 50 lbs over one year. i cut out all diet products (no more diet coke, no fat free products, etc.) but more significantly i cut my food intake in half. i still don't exercise .. i guess that is my next thing to do. at least i don't have to think about my calorie intake anymore, i now do it subconsciously, and i feel extremely happy about it.

i think one just needs to find what works.

[NortHStaR]
05-16-09, 02:38 AM

If any man gives up stake their man card should immediatly be confenscated.

Jesda
06-01-09, 12:06 AM
Steady progress.

December 2008:
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_dec08.jpg

May 2009:
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_may09.jpg

My full size spare tire is now a doughnut. Soon I'll just have a can of tire slime.

gary88
06-01-09, 12:16 AM
Nice work :thumbsup:

You should try Crest, much better than Colgate.

Jesda
06-01-09, 12:21 AM
I think I got that Colgate while on a trip, might just throw it away. My toothpaste of choice is arm and hammer w/ peroxide.

orconn
06-01-09, 12:30 AM
Congratulations on your progress toward sveldtness! By the way how has Newton turned out as a chick magnet? Nothing like a cute dog to get the conversation going. Works better than neat cars.

Jesda
06-01-09, 04:19 AM
Congratulations on your progress toward sveldtness! By the way how has Newton turned out as a chick magnet? Nothing like a cute dog to get the conversation going. Works better than neat cars.

All the girls who have approached him and I thus far appeared to be under 18. Don't need Chris Hansen coming after me LOL

the cadillac kid
06-01-09, 06:02 PM
there's some white stuff on your nice pants.

mtflight
06-01-09, 06:08 PM
Nice work :thumbsup:

You should try Crest, much better than Colgate.

oh but Colgate Total has triclosan which kills bacteria for hours between brushing!

What could beat that? flavor?

Rodya234
06-01-09, 06:09 PM
Any toothpaste with SLS in it sucks.

slk230mb
06-01-09, 06:20 PM

I think that's just the crud on the mirror

mtflight
06-01-09, 06:22 PM
Steady progress.

December 2008:

May 2009:

My full size spare tire is now a doughnut. Soon I'll just have a can of tire slime.

Biochemistry 101 FACT: when glucose is sent into fat cells it results in glycerol phosphate which is used as a backbone for triglycerides (three fatty acids + glycerol) in de novo lipogenesis (your body making fat from scratch). Carbohydrates are simply saccharides (sugars) either long (polysaccharides) or short (mono and disaccharides), which during the process of digestion (starting with saliva), turn to... glucose, which the more you have the more you create triglycerides (fat) for storage.

Perception of obesity, is subjective. Lots of weight loss approaches result in the loss of lean tissue (muscle and organ). Problem: each lb of lean tissue burns 37.5 calories per day! just for showing up! Hypothetically, let's say you lost 20 lbs of which 10 were lean tissue. This means (37.5 x 10 = 375 calories that you NO LONGER burn... so you have to cut back permanently or you... REBOUND gaining the weight back faster than you lost it and sometimes more weight because it's not easy to gain muscle back). This is why it's a good idea to gain muscle mass (or try) while you burn fat (hint: it's not easy, unless you low-carb).

Even nutritionists will agree that it takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a lb. of fat. With a 375 calorie a day surplus (from the 10 lbs of hypothetical lean tissue you lost in the paragraph above), theoretically you'd be gaining over a lb. of fat a week (doesn't really work that way, but close).

How to be objective, and have CONTROL over your weight loss. Ideally you want to lose FAT and not muscle.

Figure out your body fat % (find a few methods on the web and average them out, repeat to compare) With that you can see how much muscle/lean tissue you have, and calculate what your goal weight (body fat %) should be. I'd guess you'd be in love with 12-15%, and right now you're around 30-40%.

Pictures don't really show fat-loss, just how tight a shirt is, but body composition and bf% is what you're really after.

Hats of for committing to the lifelong battle.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-01-09, 06:28 PM
Jesda, you seriously took a picture of yourself in a fitting room and kept it for over a year? :histeric:

mtflight
06-01-09, 07:12 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/mtflight/bs/jdbs.jpg
:D

the cadillac kid
06-01-09, 07:26 PM
I think that's just the crud on the mirror

I know... but I thought it was more funny this way :rolleyes:

CadillacGurl
06-01-09, 09:46 PM
Congrats Jesda :thumbsup: Keep up the good work!

Kev
06-01-09, 09:55 PM
My full size spare tire is now a doughnut. Soon I'll just have a can of tire slime.Good job Jesda, you're down to a kegger! More dedication, perseverance and hard work and you could knock this thing back to a six-pack! :thumbsup:

Jesda
06-02-09, 01:32 AM

I saw myself and got excited. :king:

Jesda
06-02-09, 01:35 AM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/mtflight/bs/jdbs.jpg
:D

My actual wig is platinum blonde.

ewill3rd
06-02-09, 10:07 AM
Keep up the good work!

I hit my 180 target while I was in Russia but popped up a little bit over the weekend due to an ice cream social in my neighborhood and some other things.
Not the least of which is my new son.... makes it hard to keep up my routine.

mtflight
06-02-09, 11:28 AM
My actual wig is platinum blonde.

Oh it's a wig? :o

Lord Cadillac
06-02-09, 12:50 PM
At 27 years old, college weight has caught up with me. [Doesn't help that I've been in school since the FDR was president.]

I've been making small changes. No more soda or eating out seems to have reduced sodium intake. No more greasy breakfasts. I have far fewer headaches, no weird cravings, and sleep MUCH better than before. Apnea is much less of an issue than it was.

I walk about a half to a full mile a day with the dog. Its a brisk walk, probably worth 100-200 calories.

In 2007 I peaked at 250something, now I'm down to 238. I used to break a sweat and get winded from just thinking about walking.

The point of this thread: I'm trying to come up with things to do that are easy to integrate into my quiet routine. If I go to extremes I likely won't stick to it.
Jesda, what do you weigh now? If you made it under 230, you're feeling much better - I'm sure. I felt much better at 230 than I did at 245. But keep in mind that when I was really trying to gain weight (lifting heavy, eating a lot) - I was 265. So anyway, 230 was my first goal.

What working best for me is finding healthy foods that I like. I actually LIKE (to my surprise) lettuce with grilled chicken or fish with range dressing on the side (full fat - just use less). I've also been eating sushi and sashimi - which basically takes the place of things like cheeseburgers for me. I like the stuff THAT much. So I found new, healthy foods that I actually enjoy eating and get a lot of exercise.

I really wanted to be in shape for this summer so I've been doing cardio every morning (7 days a week) and weight lifting Monday, Tuesday and Friday. You don't have to go crazy like I am but you'll lose weight a little slower. You're younger, though - so you have that advantage...

Keep up the good work! You're going to feel great when you reach your goal... Mine's 180 and I'm 15 pounds away...

Brett
06-03-09, 02:43 PM
Jeez Sal, you have lost quite a bit....Good Job

CadillacGurl
06-03-09, 02:48 PM
Sal put up his new "smirk" picture :lol:

Jesda
06-03-09, 03:10 PM
Sal's face is frozen from the dramatic plastic surgery. He ripped off the mob. :D

70eldo
06-04-09, 10:33 AM
Hi all,

been away since I became a dad. I can chime in on the weight gain and trying to lose it. I gained about 20 lbs since my daily routine got totally screwed up. Right after the birth of our lovely daughter in March we moved into a bigger place. BAD planning! The place is totally worth it, but the stress level was way high!

Anyway, due to lack of sporst (during the whole pregnancy of my girl up to now), that I used to do a lot and due to 'wrong' food as preparing dinner was exhausting after work and taking care of the wifey, baby and the house, I gathered some excessive tissue especially around the waist. I also started snoaring in my sleep and got backaches much quicker.

So, I still need to start at the gym, but I do eat healthier since I have time to cook again.

RightTurn
06-04-09, 12:14 PM
Congrats on your new baby girl, Martin. :D

70eldo
06-04-09, 06:25 PM
Congrats on your new baby girl, Martin. :D

Thanks RT! :bouncy:

Lord Cadillac
06-04-09, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Brett. :p 70Eldo - Stress is a killer. It adds cortisol to your body and generally brings on a nice gut (visceral fat). Try taking 11-oxo (www.nutraplanet.com) for help in that area..

Smirk.

70eldo
06-05-09, 04:20 AM
Thanks, Brett. :p 70Eldo - Stress is a killer. It adds cortisol to your body and generally brings on a nice gut (visceral fat). Try taking 11-oxo (www.nutraplanet.com (http://www.nutraplanet.com)) for help in that area..

Smirk.

...Possible androgenic side effects include acne, hair loss, increased levels of estrogen and testicular atrophy may occurr...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_atrophy

I'll try natural food and excersize first. Thanks :D

Jesda
06-05-09, 12:47 PM
Congrats on the new kid!

70eldo
06-08-09, 05:19 AM
Congrats on the new kid!

Thanks Jesda!
I don't want to hijack your thread though...

Lord Cadillac
06-08-09, 11:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_atrophy

I'll try natural food and excersize first. Thanks :D
None of that will happen if you take the amount suggested. That was a bunch of hype to get people to buy the product, actually. Everyone thought 11-oxo was going to be a legal steroid alternative - however, you need to take a LOT of it to get an anabolic effect.

To each his own...

Jesda
06-08-09, 05:02 PM
I eat a lot of spinach.

AMGoff
06-08-09, 07:42 PM
Spinach is good, but all that really matters just try eating a little of everything... Not only will your body thank you, but your taste-buds will be far more satiated.

Have you picked up a food scale yet? You have no idea how helpful they really are!

If all else fails... You could always just go to your doctor and pretend to suffer from ADD - I hear amphetamines do wonders for weight loss ;)

70eldo
06-10-09, 06:11 AM
None of that will happen if you take the amount suggested. That was a bunch of hype to get people to buy the product, actually. Everyone thought 11-oxo was going to be a legal steroid alternative - however, you need to take a LOT of it to get an anabolic effect.

To each his own...

Ok, that comforts a lot. But I'll try the natural way first. Thanks for the help though! :highfive:

Jesda
06-10-09, 12:00 PM
Spinach is good, but all that really matters just try eating a little of everything... Not only will your body thank you, but your taste-buds will be far more satiated.

Have you picked up a food scale yet? You have no idea how helpful they really are!

If all else fails... You could always just go to your doctor and pretend to suffer from ADD - I hear amphetamines do wonders for weight loss ;)

I dont really eat a lot of spinach. I was just making a light joke in response to the dietary supplement discussion.

Lord Cadillac
06-20-09, 11:24 AM
Well, I just saw 191 on the scale this morning.. It's very nice to walk behind women and children and not have them looking over their shoulder, watching my every move. It's also nice to be out of size 44 pants and into 34's... My goal is 30 but I'll be satisfied with 32... It's probably safe for me to start buying clothes about now - I only have 11 more pounds to lose..

In regards to weighing food - I know it works - but that didn't work for me. I basically ate until I was satisfied (and sometimes even more) but I ate the right foods. I found things I really enjoyed eating. Mostly Caesar Salads with Grilled Chicken and Ranch Dressing - and NOT light dressing either.. Full fat.. I just got the dressing on the side and "dipped" instead of putting it on the salad. I was introduced to Sushi and Sashimi by Kona Grille - and THAT was a lifesaver. Sushi and Sashimi are a WHOLE LOT healthier than Cheeseburgers and Hot Dogs - and that helped big time. So finding foods I liked and NOT worrying about eating like a bird worked for me.

Heck, you can eat just about all the lettuce and grilled chicken you want without having to worry. Same goes for Salmon and other types of fish - whether it be in sushi/sashimi form or cooked. Oh yeah, I'd have a lot of lettuce and fish meals as well...

Every so often I'd have snacks like potato chips or Sun Chips. Just ONE serving per day, though. Another thing I'd eat EVERY day was Non-Fat Greek Yogurt. It's so thick and creamy you wouldn't believe it. The name is Chobani (http://www.chobani.com/). I'd also eat one of those new high fiber chewy granola bars - and sometimes I'd throw some peanut butter on top...

When I went out to eat, I'd have a little bread.. And my salads normally had croutons - and I'd have a few.. So I didn't do "no carb" or anything like that. I had plenty of natural sugar (from the fruit in the yogurts), some bread and rice with my sushi. In any event, I DID do a LOT of exercise.. 20 minutes of cardio EVERY morning before I ate.. I've boosted that up to 30 minutes now since I'm looking to lose that "last few pounds" which is very difficult. I'd also weight train on Monday, Tuesday and Friday - and on days that I didn't weight train, I'd "often" (not always) go to the gym a second time and do another 30-40 minutes of cardio.

I'm PRETTY sure the hard part is over now.. I mean, I do have some more weight to lose - but I'm happy where I am. Once I reach my goal, I'll relax a little bit - but still watch the scale closely. When I find myself gaining a few pounds, I'll turn it up again - watch my diet and hit the gym twice a day - and be back on my way to where I'm comfortable. So I WILL splurge a bit - probably on weekends at least a day or so - and see how that goes. I'm VERY comfortable being VERY active so I don't mind doing this for the rest of my life. I've actually learned to REALLY enjoy being out and about like I am...

Ranger
06-20-09, 05:57 PM
I'd be happy with 210. Ecstatic with 200. I can't budge off 220. I hate you Sal.

Lord Cadillac
06-20-09, 07:18 PM
I'd be happy with 210. Ecstatic with 200. I can't budge off 220. I hate you Sal.
Haha! Sorry! Are there any healthy foods you really like?

Ranger
06-20-09, 07:46 PM
Actually I like everything you mentioned except Yogurt. There is not much I don't like. I'll eat damn near anything that doesn't eat me first. Love salads, especially Caesars. Love sushi. Never had sashimi, but I'm sure I'd like that too. I think I need to get my wife to cook differently for me. She is loosing weight with Jenny Craig, but her eyes are bigger than my stomach. The problem is I love to eat and will eat whatever she fixes me.

Kev
06-20-09, 08:04 PM
Just say 'No'.

Learn a new exercise guaranteed to help you loose weight if properly executed.
They're called push-aways.

:cool2:

Kev
06-20-09, 08:12 PM
A friend of mine from Kindergarten on was the largest kid in school. The poor guy was dangerously obese. A lot of kids ridiculed him because of it. They were foolishly short sighted because he was an excellent friend.

His little grandmother fed him every chance she got. The minute he got home from school she had something for him to eat. The poor kid had three squares three times a day!

I didn't see him the summer between 8th & 9th grade and when he came back to school he was as slim as I was. I exclaimed how good he looked and asked him how he did it, he replied, "I broke my grandmother's heart. I told her no. No more extra meals."

I just saw him last week after many years and he still looks pretty good.

:cool2:

blue07cts
06-22-09, 04:02 PM
i'm sorry but i HAVE to post this

everytime i read the thread title this popped into my head, no parody of jesda, just the thread title,lmao!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Zt8mn14hY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Zt8mn14hY

Jesda
06-22-09, 04:19 PM
no parody of jesda,

What makes you so sure I don't have a gang of overweight thugs making a menace in the streets?

blue07cts
06-22-09, 04:46 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooooooo SH!T!:hide::hide::hide:

MutedJade
06-22-09, 06:07 PM
I was kind of in the same boat as you a while ago.
I have lost 30 pounds since I made some changes.
I was unhappy at 210 and I thought I could lose 10 pounds, then I lost it and still was too big, so I kept doing it again and again. I am 1 pound from the weight I wanted and I still have room to lose more.

Here are the changes I made.

1. Small breakfast... 2 protien bars and some water.
2. Eat a big lunch but not junk. A healthy sandwich, salad, and sensible sides like meals with vegetables instead of fries or chips.
3. No soda, ever
4. Sweets like once a month on special occaisions only.
5. A small dinner or light snack, sometimes nothing
6. Try not to eat after 8 pm if you have a regular schedule

Once a week I go out with friends and have a nice meal but I eat seafood or chicken and get vegetable or not so fatty sides and drink water.
I usually hit a machine once a day and do some ab work if only for a few minutes, that really really helps too.
If you are good at excercise videos look into getting some tae bo stuff from billy blanks.
I started on the easy stuff and it made a huge difference fast. I can't fit that stuff into my schedule really because I have to get all set up but if you can do it, do it.
I feel so much better and am looking forward to taking off maybe another 5 or 6 pounds and re-evaluating.

Great advice man, i will definitely be giving this a try. Thanks.

dkozloski
06-22-09, 06:19 PM
Actually I like everything you mentioned except Yogurt. There is not much I don't like. I'll eat damn near anything that doesn't eat me first. Love salads, especially Caesars. Love sushi. Never had sashimi, but I'm sure I'd like that too. I think I need to get my wife to cook differently for me. She is loosing weight with Jenny Craig, but her eyes are bigger than my stomach. The problem is I love to eat and will eat whatever she fixes me.
Keep eating sushi until you develop a fifteen foot tapeworm. You'll lose weight like crazy with that in you.

RightTurn
06-23-09, 12:11 AM
Ew. :suspense:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-23-09, 02:31 AM
Keep eating sushi until you develop a fifteen foot tapeworm. You'll lose weight like crazy with that in you.

:yeah: There are some pretty nasty photos in my Mom's medical books from college of the stuff that can get inside you from sushi. Not worth it at all.

C0RSA1R
06-23-09, 06:28 PM
Firm advocate of seafood. Firm opponent of sushi.

I worked in seafood for just about 18 months, and some of the craziest sick stories I took from the experience involved bad sushi. Tried it once, and it was just as gross as I'd imagined. I'll stick with the fried haddock and the steamed clams, and I suggest the same to anyone who asks.

billc83
04-17-11, 01:41 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I figured it'd be a fitting place to post my attempts at weight loss. I've always been a big guy (Gary can attest to this as the only guy on CF I've met IRL) and I sort of had a revelation like Jesda that I should buckle down and lose some weight.

After a false start, I got back into the groove of working out and eating better. I've been lifting weights, walking/jogging, and eating healthier. Started out doing only a small walk around the neighborhood, now I can jog my old route and then some.

I've still got a long way to go.

gdwriter
04-17-11, 01:46 AM
I wouldn't call you fat, Bill, but then I'm not exactly svelte myself. My weight has held steady at ~215 for probably 10 years now. Doesn't seem to matter if I exercise or not. I'm trying to eat healthier, but again, it doesn't seem to make much difference.

As long as it doesn't go further up, I'm OK with how things are. But good for you for making the effort.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-17-11, 01:54 PM
As long as we're on this discussion, I'll share my story.

As many of you know, I'm quite slender, and both my parents' families are quite slender as well. We don't eat especially well, and we're not health nuts, but I guess you could just say it's good genes. From about 15 years of age to 23, I've been 5'6", 135-140 lbs. No matter what I'd do or eat, it wouldn't change. Now that I've moved out though, I've gained about 10 lbs. It went right up from 137-145 and stayed there, but now I'm getting close to 150 and staying there consistently. This isn't where I want to be at all, and all the weight is going to my gut, nowhere else. I eat out too much with my friends. It seems like whenever I meet with any of my friends, it's over a burger and a beer, so I need to cut down a lot on that. I'm not a good cook, so whenever I go out for food, I know I'm getting something better than I would be at home. And now that I'm living by myself, I'm eating meals meant for than just one person, and that's not helping at all either. So now I've gotta stop eating everything I cook and throw some away or refrigerate it for the next day.

And once spring FINALLY comes around, I'll start running 5-10 miles a week again.

Sevillian273
04-17-11, 02:58 PM
A couple years ago I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled and couldnt eat solid. I didnt slip once in fear of getting a dry socket so for 2 weeks I ate only KFC mashed potatos(FTW!) and soup. That, plus the appetite-killing pain pills I got from it lost me 20lbs. I feel guilty cause it was nearly effortless! :hide:

OffThaHorseCEO
04-17-11, 03:46 PM
As long as we're on this discussion, I'll share my story.

As many of you know, I'm quite slender, and both my parents' families are quite slender as well. We don't eat especially well, and we're not health nuts, but I guess you could just say it's good genes. From about 15 years of age to 23, I've been 5'6", 135-140 lbs. No matter what I'd do or eat, it wouldn't change. Now that I've moved out though, I've gained about 10 lbs. It went right up from 137-145 and stayed there, but now I'm getting close to 150 and staying there consistently. This isn't where I want to be at all, and all the weight is going to my gut, nowhere else. I eat out too much with my friends. It seems like whenever I meet with any of my friends, it's over a burger and a beer, so I need to cut down a lot on that. I'm not a good cook, so whenever I go out for food, I know I'm getting something better than I would be at home. And now that I'm living by myself, I'm eating meals meant for than just one person, and that's not helping at all either. So now I've gotta stop eating everything I cook and throw some away or refrigerate it for the next day.

And once spring FINALLY comes around, I'll start running 5-10 miles a week again.

This is my story to the t Chad. I was the guy everyone told "if you keep eating like that its gonna catch up to you". And id say "hasnt caught up to me yet!"

Well it caught up. I hate it. It used to be impossible for me to put on weight, now i have a gut and went from a 33 to a 35-36. I have stopped most of my fast food habits, mostly given up sodas, and have started light exercising. Hopefully it will help.

The bad thing is, it seems like it started after i exercised alot for a while, then i stopped due to time constraints. Before my short time exercising, i couldnt put on weight to save my life. now...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-17-11, 04:27 PM
That may be the same with me..because I work Monday nights and Thursday nights, my time to go running after work has dwindled greatly.

gary88
04-17-11, 04:34 PM
Send some lbs my way, I'm 6'2" 165 and it takes forever for me to gain any weight.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-17-11, 04:38 PM
I forget, but is Pasta & sauce (carbs & carbs) good for keeping the weight down or is it terrible?

orconn
04-17-11, 04:50 PM
Send some lbs my way, I'm 6'2" 165 and it takes forever for me to gain any weight.

Be careful what you wish for! You may get it sooner than you think!

gdwriter
04-17-11, 05:03 PM
I was 6'0' and ~150 when I graduated from high school 27 years ago. My weight gradually went up in my 20s, but nothing major, and it was actually an improvement since I no longer looked like a matchstick. But when I hit 30 — BOOM — the weight just suddenly soared to my current ~210-215 without me changing my eating habits at all. At least it has stayed there and not gone up any further.

Chad, it's not hard to learn how to cook, and I usually make enough that I can save the leftovers for dinner another night, which both saves time and doesn't waste the food. Go to Barnes & Noble and ask for some basic cookbook for the beginner, a Cooking for Dummies-type book. Hell, there might be one called that.

orconn
04-17-11, 05:40 PM
Learning to cook has a lot more advantages than just the simple ability to feed yourself. In our family the ability of the men to cook from necessity ...... the women in the family had commitments outside the home which prevented them from providing all the meals. My mother was a professional who from my teenage years held an executive position, my father being raised during his teenage years in Arizona learned to cook while on extended mountain lion hunts with the ranch hands. In my own home I cooked most of the evening meals, both because I worked on NYC time while living in L.A. and thus was done work by 3-4 o'clock and the fact that I enjoyed cooking as a way to relax and be creative! My son learned to cook so he could take care of himself when his mom or dad were not able to.

Aside from being able to boil water, cook an egg or make a sandwich so that you don't starve, being able to cook on a more advance level will always mean you can find a place on a fun outing like a sailing cruise or a hiking trip or RV adventure. While today many more men know how to cook than in the past, it is still a skill that is valued.

There are those who would say that I am an accomplished cook. While I already knew the rudiments of cooking I really applied myself to cooking after I returned from overseas in the 1970's. Unlike today when there are many ethnic restaurants in communities (and certainly cities) around the country, restaurants preparing the ethnic dishes were non existent. Having tasted and enjoyed many dishes unique to their cultures, I started to try to duplicate these foods and recipes for my own enjoyment. Friends also seemed to enjoy the things I was making, and dinners involving Sukiyaki, Zigny, Genghis Khan, not to mention Steak Diane and Feijoada became a sought after invitation. I I also got to crew on many island cruise both on the mainland and Hawaii. My son also became sought after for his ability to cook, as he was needed for hiking rips in the Sierras and Appalachians.

So, Chad I highly recommend your getting to know you way around a kitchen. I am sure several members here (Hueterm, GaryD and others) will glad to share recipes. Bet Sub and Dkoz have some interesting specialties too!

ben.gators
04-17-11, 06:53 PM
So here is my story.... I am 5'10'' and just 145 lbs, no matter what or how much I eat! I used to be even less, around 140 or 138 lbs, but could bring it up to 148 lbs as I started to do some workout... But I gave up going to gym because of school and much more important my own laziness... Now it is about one month that I started going to gym again, but this time I have a personal trainer to kick my ass. 160 lbs is my goal!

drewsdeville
04-17-11, 08:51 PM
Same story as most here. Back in the day, could do anything I wanted with no weight change for better or for worse. Cross country runner in HS, couldn't get me to sit down in my free time.

Went to college, worked a lot of ours, free time disappeared. Drank a lot of beer, ate lots of fast food, still not much of a change.

Started working full time in the shipping industry and "bulked up" a little with all of the manual labor.

Then, suddenly, maybe two years ago, my poor eating habits and reduced free time for activity began to show. Average about 185lbs at 6'0". I can tell it's caught up to me because of the fluctuations: the difference between the nice weather seasons when I use my bicycle as transportation and less-active winter is about 15lbs

Sevillian273
04-17-11, 11:43 PM
I hate cooking. It's like taking chemistry class in high school - nothing comes out right and things explode.